Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why I Only Carry a SAK now. 1158

Hero Member Posts: 658 Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Why I Only Carry a SAK now.
« on: August 02, 2020, 06:04:40 AM »
I used to be obsessed with plier based multitools, I carried a leatherman everywhere and all but forgot about my dozens of SAKs in my tool box.
One day I was watching a MacGyver episode and I thought that if all he needs is a SAK that's good enough for me. My name and that story may make it seem like I'm trying to be an imitator, but it's actually more like a new way of life for me. You see I've worked a lot of different jobs from kitchen work, to mechanical work, to law enforcement, and now operating heavy equipment. I've unwittingly become a jack of all trades and master of none. I'm as comfortable handling a cutting torch in a shop as I am studying at the library. My big plan is to become a seaplane pilot someday. After that who knows? I'm always looking for a new challenge. (I have always wanted to try Tae Kwon Do :D) And because I like a challenge I now only carry a Swiss Army Knife. (Along with some bubblegum, a paper clip, and duct tape in my wallet) I'm always thrilled when a problem presents itself because my SAK and I are ready to spring into action!  :salute:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:54:11 AM by _MattGyver_ »

~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 27,284 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Why I Only Carry a SAK now.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 06:36:15 AM »
Im pretty much in the same boat, I started with a sak, but then came along the multitool plies that I just had to have forgetting about the Sak, I was a hvac/p, but then met my father in law and we ended up doing handyman work, plus we rebuilt antique vehicles, so again that multitool never left my side where ever I went, but then after I kinda retired do to health I really didn’t need the pliers, but I won’t leave home without a knife, so I remembered my sak, so why not go back to something like that? You get your blade plus a few other odds and ends, and when I got my first alox I was totally in love, no plastic, got some weight to it, but not to heavy, plus a good grip! And to top it off not overloaded with tools,,
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room but tripped on a Can and bowed for the Porcelain God!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 06:42:53 AM »
Im pretty much in the same boat, I started with a sak, but then came along the multitool plies that I just had to have forgetting about the Sak, I was a hvac/p, but then met my father in law and we ended up doing handyman work, plus we rebuilt antique vehicles, so again that multitool never left my side where ever I went, but then after I kinda retired do to health I really didn’t need the pliers, but I won’t leave home without a knife, so I remembered my sak, so why not go back to something like that? You get your blade plus a few other odds and ends, and when I got my first alox I was totally in love, no plastic, got some weight to it, but not to heavy, plus a good grip! And to top it off not overloaded with tools,,
JR
That's cool MadPlumbarian! It takes both a mechanic and an artist to restore an antique car!

I'm more biased towards cellidor models but I have several alox and I definitely understand why people love them so much! I love my Wenger Soldat. I just dig the classic look along with toothpick and tweezers so much!  I tend to carry 3-6 layer models with those mini pliers or a saw being my top priorities usually. If they made a Lumberjack with pliers I would scoop it up in a heartbeat!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:57:34 AM by _MattGyver_ »

~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~
Jr. Member Posts: 67
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 08:54:52 AM »
I only carry a pliers-based MT in (rare) situations where I'm planning to use it and need the larger pliers. For most of what I need pliers for, the small ones in the SAK are either sufficient or superior. I actually really like being able to grip the body with my hand and operate the pliers with my thumb as it's very precise, and the teeth can really dig into a hex nut. I tend to prefer dedicated pliers to either when I really need them anyways such as around the house or while fishing. Good to have the larger MT in a vehicle though or as a backup in a bag.

I thought the Leatherman Squirt might be a good substitute, and it is a great carry tool, no doubt -- but I find the pliers more difficult to use due to the tiny handles, and the plier profile isn't as aggressive as the SAK (more flat/dull). Still a great tool for the size.

For me, it's about anticipated benefit vs penalty -- for my general carry, pliers-based MT aren't worth the size/weight for a very marginal increase in utility.

For regular carry, it's only SAK for me. I prefer to pocket carry than in a belt pouch so it's perfect, and there's a SAK for any given daily need. It's so rare that I would need anything more, and really it's more about convenience than anything -- plenty of people manage without any MT -- even a Vic Classic or Manager makes you handier than most :D :cheers:
No Life Club Posts: 4,535 Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 10:02:34 AM »
It's all about what meets your specific needs, and if a SAK gets the job done for you then that's all that counts. 

I get by with the slightly larger pliers and handles on a Squirt P4, but if I need more grunt then a Crunch and an ST300 are usually fairly close by (either in a car or in a drawer at home).

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,740
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 03:54:04 PM »
Its always a good choice to put a SAK into your pocket when headed out.  The size, layer count, and material are all personal so having a SAK on you is a good thing.   

Esse Quam Videri
Hero Member Posts: 809
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »
 :iagree: :tu:

All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..
No Life Club Posts: 1,534
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 05:47:55 PM »
I used to be obsessed with plier based multitools, I carried a leatherman everywhere and all but forgot about my dozens of SAKs in my tool box.
One day I was watching a MacGyver episode and I thought that if all he needs is a SAK that's good enough for me. My name and that story may make it seem like I'm trying to be an imitator, but it's actually more like a new way of life for me. You see I've worked a lot of different jobs from kitchen work, to mechanical work, to law enforcement, and now operating heavy equipment. I've unwittingly become a jack of all trades and master of none. I'm as comfortable handling a cutting torch in a shop as I am studying at the library. My big plan is to become a seaplane pilot someday. After that who knows? I'm always looking for a new challenge. (I have always wanted to try Tae Kwon Do :D) And because I like a challenge I now only carry a Swiss Army Knife. (Along with some bubblegum, a paper clip, and duct tape in my wallet) I'm always thrilled when a problem presents itself because my SAK and I are ready to spring into action!  :salute:

Mine was a slower transition.  But like you, changes in occupation were an important motivating factor.   Why I carry a multitool at all has to do with work... Where I needed pliers.  Otherwise at the time I was carrying a folding knife. Simply having a screwdriver with me... (Flat not Phillips... Go figure) changed the way I did little things here and there.  That led to me pocket carrying LM Wave for several years after I switched jobs.  But with the new lifestyle, it took me a couple of years to notice that the pliers had become nothing more than a grip assist - picking up hot pots, and things like that.  Since I was pocket carrying and wasn't using the pliers, it made sense to make the switch to a SAK.  I suppose I just scaled it back to halfway between a HD multitool and a folder, in a way. 

I like to carry just one tool that is appropriate for my reality. I solve problems, but I don't repair things.  I go camping and hiking with the SAK, and the Leatherman stays home in the guitar bag.  I think back on the time when I didn't have my Leatherman on me because it didn't fit in my shorts, and I needed a can opener for the beach cookout.  I can remember going to the bookstore with a Leatherman strapped to my belt, sitting idly by... doing nothing.  ln my mind I replay that day when I had four screwdrivers on my Leatherman and what I needed was the long thin flat file on the SAK.  I've never saved the day with full sized pliers.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 06:01:25 PM »
Mine was a slower transition.  But like you, changes in occupation were an important motivating factor.   Why I carry a multitool at all has to do with work... Where I needed pliers.  Otherwise at the time I was carrying a folding knife. Simply having a screwdriver with me... (Flat not Phillips... Go figure) changed the way I did little things here and there.  That led to me pocket carrying LM Wave for several years after I switched jobs.  But with the new lifestyle, it took me a couple of years to notice that the pliers had become nothing more than a grip assist - picking up hot pots, and things like that.  Since I was pocket carrying and wasn't using the pliers, it made sense to make the switch to a SAK.  I suppose I just scaled it back to halfway between a HD multitool and a folder, in a way. 

I like to carry just one tool that is appropriate for my reality. I solve problems, but I don't repair things.  I go camping and hiking with the SAK, and the Leatherman stays home in the guitar bag.  I think back on the time when I didn't have my Leatherman on me because it didn't fit in my shorts, and I needed a can opener for the beach cookout.  I can remember going to the bookstore with a Leatherman strapped to my belt, sitting idly by... doing nothing.  ln my mind I replay that day when I had four screwdrivers on my Leatherman and what I needed was the long thin flat file on the SAK.  I've never saved the day with full sized pliers.
  There's actually been times where a fish scaler was exactly the tool I needed. Not for scaling fish though, I needed a thin piece of metal to push something in a crevice I couldn't reach and it did the trick! You never know what life is going to throw at you. That's why I like SAKs I rotate a different one almost every day and it's cool to see what I can accomplish with what I have on me.

~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~
No Life Club Posts: 2,283
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 06:09:59 PM »
After years of carrying a LM I swapped for a Knipex 125mm and hex key. With a SAK on my belt, I just don't need any more, don't need the redundancy of tools, compromises, etc. Like you I now only carry a SAK. Even my 'suit knife' is a SAK Waiter. I just can't go back on the utility that a SAK brings to the table.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 06:31:11 PM »
After years of carrying a LM I swapped for a Knipex 125mm and hex key. With a SAK on my belt, I just don't need any more, don't need the redundancy of tools, compromises, etc. Like you I now only carry a SAK. Even my 'suit knife' is a SAK Waiter. I just can't go back on the utility that a SAK brings to the table.

(Image removed from quote.)

What's the handle material?? :like:
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 06:33:52 PM »
  There's actually been times where a fish scaler was exactly the tool I needed. Not for scaling fish though, I needed a thin piece of metal to push something in a crevice I couldn't reach and it did the trick! You never know what life is going to throw at you. That's why I like SAKs I rotate a different one almost every day and it's cool to see what I can accomplish with what I have on me.

Actually now that you mention it... It might be that I used the fish scaler for the pivotal job in question  :tu:

I guess my memory isn't as good as I make it out to be.
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 06:36:23 PM »
Actually now that you mention it... It might be that I used the fish scaler for the pivotal job in question  :tu:

I guess my memory isn't as good as I make it out to be.
lol for me it was moving a wire out of the way

~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~
Sr. Member Posts: 410
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 07:23:30 PM »
That's why I like SAKs...it's cool to see what I can accomplish with what I have on me.

I wholeheartedly agree.

There’s something very special about solving the problem in front of you with the contents of your pocket and a little ingenuity.
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 07:26:29 PM »
 :like: :like:
I wholeheartedly agree.

There’s something very special about solving the problem in front of you with the contents of your pocket and a little ingenuity.
:like: :like: :like: :iagree:

~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~
No Life Club Posts: 4,643
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 07:32:50 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree.

:iagree:

Lately I have been carrying a Cadet around the house and a Farmer for everything else. They can handle a great deal, and for everything else I have dedicated tools close by (House, Shop or Car). These SAKs (plus a classic on my keychain) will handle those quick fixes as I go through the day very well  :tu:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,277

Nix us

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 07:47:59 PM »
Typically a SAK is awl I need on any given day.

For special occasions a pliers-based MT is often carried; however, it is still the SAK that does the lion's share of the work.

Illegitimi non carborundum
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,158
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 10:18:58 PM »
As crazy as it might sound, I can get by most of the time with a Classic or a Camper.  I like my multi tools, and carry a Swisstool on my duty belt because a set of pliers does come in handy, but most of the time I don't need the added weight. 

Barry
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 10:40:00 PM »
That's cool MadPlumbarian! It takes both a mechanic and an artist to restore an antique car!

I'm more biased towards cellidor models but I have several alox and I definitely understand why people love them so much! I love my Wenger Soldat. I just dig the classic look along with toothpick and tweezers so much!  I tend to carry 3-6 layer models with those mini pliers or a saw being my top priorities usually. If they made a Lumberjack with pliers I would scoop it up in a heartbeat!
I’ve always loved antique cars, and there so much easier to work on! Believe it or not our kid was over with his friends for the last like 2hrs and just got two 70 something monte Carlos and a big block(just block) dropped off, ones just a junker for some parts, the other has been partly restored and is now sitting in the garage.. so I guess I kinda rubbed off on the kid, I guess I’ll be out giving him a hand every once and a while, maybe..
JR

As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room but tripped on a Can and bowed for the Porcelain God!
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,158
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 11:04:10 PM »
Old cars are the only way to go JR!   :tu:

Barry
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 04:56:59 AM »
What's the handle material?? :like:

ecoline nylon dyed black.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 04:57:44 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree.

:iagree: This!

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 05:11:35 AM »
Old cars are the only way to go JR!   :tu:
If I get a pic I’ll post it,
JR

Hero Member Posts: 522
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 06:19:17 AM »
:iagree: This!
:iagree: and even more so in this day and age of a specialized wonder tool for every job and use conceivable . Its pretty much why I use my SAK whenever I can, despite having a van load of tools handy. The SAK isn't as good as the dedicated tool, but it's good enough to get the job done  :) , thus saving the weight/ bulk of hauling all that other guff everywhere I go.
Just recently tried using my Leatherman wave for a couple days and just struggled to live with the bulk. Yet some folk swear by it , so as always YMMV.
Now if I could just decide between my Pioneer or Tinker,  I could settle down to the one knife life and live happily ever after :D

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 09:12:41 AM »
The SAK you take with you is far more valuable than the Multitool that gets left at home.

Sometimes especially during the summer a full sized MT is out of the question with lighter clothing this is where Swiss Army Knives have a clear advantage. The tool for pound ratio is off the charts!

~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~
Hero Member Posts: 522
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2020, 10:55:54 AM »
The tool for pound ratio is off the charts!

Preach it brother  :salute:

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "
No Life Club Posts: 1,056
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2020, 11:43:29 AM »
Great topic  :like:

I have a slight take/opinion on this than the most, however...

I was brought up around tools, both my Dad and Grandpa where the major influence. I can honestly say that my grandpa was the "original Macgyver" as far as inventing and building stuff with materials available, and rubber bands, paper clips and ducktape kind of stuff... And most importantly SAK/pocket knife use  ;)
I obviously felt right at home with the Macgyver series (and concept) as a teen.  ;)

I however don't feel like a SAK can be a substitute for a dedicated tool most of the times, when proper tools are available in the proximity. I look at SAK's primarily as a utility pocket knife with added (ingenious) implements that can be used as tools for a great number of uses and situations when you haven't got any dedicated tools. It's handy, portable, good looking and a great concept. But i'd never choose SAK tools over proper dedicated ones if i have them available, even less if it's a professional job.
Being able to "get by" on a job with just a SAK doesn't mean actually choosing it or even liking it, when having proper tools available.

And i love SAK's, don't get me wrong... I just believe on the right tool for the job when ever that's possible, and if the right tool happens to be a SAK it's a SAK i'll use, despite everything else.

Never quite warmed up to plier based multitools however, never really liked the concept or ergonomics. They can be terribly handy for simple jobs if you need them for work and a lightweight option is desirable as opposed to a full sized tool chest, but for standard EDC life... naaahh... not for me i'm afraid... 
I had a mild curiosity on them some years back, but that died right away when i saw the prices....  :o

For EDC life (in this case urban/suburban, office job) a SAK is all i need on the go.  :tu:

:cheers:

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")
Full Member Posts: 210
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2020, 05:28:58 PM »
ecoline nylon dyed black.

Pomsbz, can you please provide some details on how you dyed your scales?  They look amazing!  Nice work!  :hatsoff:

Once you go SAK, you'll never go back!
Hero Member Posts: 718 High Octane Gasoline
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 05:50:18 PM »
I am also in the same boat now. I have a spare Leatherman in my car just in case but I carry a Swisschamp (belt carry) daily and it's covered all my bases just fine.

Last of the V8 Interceptors
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 08:11:45 PM »
Pomsbz, can you please provide some details on how you dyed your scales?  They look amazing!  Nice work!  :hatsoff:

I used Rit Dye More Synthetic. The closest to black they have is 'graphite'. I boiled it for a good long time in the dye. It doesn't go in very deep though. Above is my suit knife which due to only being used once a week is still holding the dye well. My day to day Spartan which I did at the same time is wearing down pretty fast with the red starting to show through at the pressure points.  Below was me having some fun with some sandpaper after my first attempt at dying the scales. I wasn't happy with the dye job so I decided to sand it down for a 'worn' effect. I've since dyed it back to black but this is pretty much what it will end up looking like again.

Here it is just after the redye:

and after gradually wearing down with use.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:34:09 PM by pomsbz »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $220.00
PayPal Fees: $11.60
Net Balance: $208.40
Below Goal: $91.60
Site Currency: USD
69%