Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

'Hate Like' knives

Offline Helvetica Bold

'Hate Like' knives
on: August 03, 2020, 07:17:58 PM
I was thinking about this the other day when I, yet again, reached for my Evo 17 when going out on an errands day.

I brought this knife on a whim instead of a Ranger as it had a layer less but still had a file of sorts. It's my first Delemont and didn't really like it right out of the box. Wasn't keen on the scales, hated the scissors, file was a bit limp. Size was good and quality the same as you normally expect but something wasn't quite there.....

However, because I didn't then worry about using it and the associated wear that comes with that I started taking it our more and more regularly and it's now my go to work SAK. Saw is still great (my most used tool outside of blade) and it has everything else I use regularly in one package. Got used to the scissors (still prefer Victorinox style though).

Upshot is I now use it more than any other knife I have!

'Hate Like' or 'Like Hate' anyone else got a knife that's like this for them?

IMG_1303.jpg
* IMG_1303.jpg (Filesize: 238.44 KB)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: 'Hate Like' knives
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 09:54:41 PM
Interesting point.

I do see how a knife you don’t care for gets use. Especially one that has a ‘good enough’ tool set.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 10:00:54 PM
Wenger made such weird design decisions, almost everything they did had a What-the-heck?! moment on first encounter.
Some of the odd things, like the claw can opener, became much loved (at least, by me) while others I hated and will never love, such as the ultra-stumpy philips screwdriver and their comedy magnifying glass, set at the end of a stem of metal to waste an entire layer instead of just half...

Talking of magnifying glasses, for many years I didn't think much of the Victorinox Explorer. A better screwdriver than Wenger's and a better magnifying glass but are they that important?
Well, yes. A few years ago all the kids in my daughter's class had headlice so I spent days shampooing and combing her hair looking for the darn things. Thank God I didn't have to rely on Wenger's Christmas-cracker quality magnifying glass for that. The Explorer's proved to be pretty useful in the headlice hunting season.
So, thanks to headlice, the Explorer went right up in my estimation. Feel free to use my true story in your next advertising campaign, Vic!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 10:34:01 PM
Wenger made such weird design decisions, almost everything they did had a What-the-heck?! moment on first encounter.
Some of the odd things, like the claw can opener, became much loved (at least, by me) while others I hated and will never love, such as the ultra-stumpy philips screwdriver and their comedy magnifying glass, set at the end of a stem of metal to waste an entire layer instead of just half...

Talking of magnifying glasses, for many years I didn't think much of the Victorinox Explorer. A better screwdriver than Wenger's and a better magnifying glass but are they that important?
Well, yes. A few years ago all the kids in my daughter's class had headlice so I spent days shampooing and combing her hair looking for the darn things. Thank God I didn't have to rely on Wenger's Christmas-cracker quality magnifying glass for that. The Explorer's proved to be pretty useful in the headlice hunting season.
So, thanks to headlice, the Explorer went right up in my estimation. Feel free to use my true story in your next advertising campaign, Vic!

Didn’t I once read that the Wenger glass was supposedly  a fire starter first that doubled up as a loupe? And that the tip was actually a micro screwdriver?  hence its length. thinking now the glass would give a very precise hold between finger and thumb ??

They weren’t daft Wenger, Everything they did was for a reason.  - not just to pad out gaps - looking at you 3-slot-driver-leatherman 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:51:08 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 10:50:41 PM
Hi Tosh, still got your epic Wenger collection?

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 11:04:45 PM
Hi Tosh, still got your epic Wenger collection?

I still got them
I wouldn’t call it epic.  There’s a lot I never got and now probably never will given the prices asked.
Have to say I really do miss Wenger now.  Seems like there’s no radical kid to strut his stuff.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:16:01 PM by tosh »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 11:25:28 PM
I miss 'em too! (But I still think their magnifying glass was bonkers!)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 11:35:46 PM
I miss 'em too! (But I still think their magnifying glass was bonkers!)

I’m on the fence as I never read what  the “”official”” idea was behind it.  So many questions left unanswered ....

BUT, I have to say I hate HATE the newer vic mag layer, absolutely loathe it. It looks cheap and fragile. I much prefer the older grey version.

What I would love...Is a juice sized spirit. That to me would be perfect. A truly pocketable mini multi tool.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:55:29 PM by tosh »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 12:22:49 AM
Yes a mini-Spirit would be an absolute grail... the Juice is the only LM I really liked, it has got so many things absolutely right. And one or two things absolutely wrong, which is where Victorinox's eye for mass-produced perfection would come in nicely. I would love to know if Vic is considering such a thing or has considered it in the past.
Mind you the main blade would be getting pretty tiddly!

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 01:14:46 AM
 :iagree:  I'll take a Juice or Squirt sized Spirit. (just kidding, I'll buy'em both!)
- Steve

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 02:09:16 AM
Mini Spirit would be interesting.

I’ve never gotten a Vic plier-based tool. Right or wrong - I always viewed them as being Leatherman knock-offs. I have a few Leatherman tools and knives. Skeletools, Squirts, Juices. But they don’t get a lot of use. I hardly need a pliers based tool because if I need pliers or wrenches, I have lots around.

:dunno:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 04:27:10 AM
I'm currently feeling that about the Micra.  I got it about 4 years ago, and never really took a liking to it.  I took it off the keyring before a run of 30-day challenges earlier this year.  I just put it back on last week and have already used it several times.  And here I am revitalizing old threads to see if there's something better..... to no avail.   :facepalm:

ca Offline Altis

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 07:08:25 AM
Such a critical and overlooked aspect of enjoying and using something is whether or not you have to worry about it -- it can really take away from enjoyment and use.

It's like that with everything. One common example I see is guitars, where people have a nice expensive one that never comes out, while their "beater" guitar gets played all the time, brought to the cottage, etc...

It's a bit of a funny time we live in where the finish of items is so pristine that it's tough to not want to just keep it safe -- even on items like SAKs which are tools meant to be used. The nicer the tool finish, the less you want to use it -- it's a bit of a dilemma.

I've assigned some of my SAKs as dedicated workhorses that I won't worry about the finish. A few with sentimental value or other aesthetic/rarity qualities have been set aside for only light-duty work or special occasion.

I'm sometimes envious of people who can buy just one of a given item and use it to its fullest for years and years.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 09:07:21 AM
Such a critical and overlooked aspect of enjoying and using something is whether or not you have to worry about it -- it can really take away from enjoyment and use.

It's like that with everything. One common example I see is guitars, where people have a nice expensive one that never comes out, while their "beater" guitar gets played all the time, brought to the cottage, etc...

It's a bit of a funny time we live in where the finish of items is so pristine that it's tough to not want to just keep it safe -- even on items like SAKs which are tools meant to be used. The nicer the tool finish, the less you want to use it -- it's a bit of a dilemma.

I've assigned some of my SAKs as dedicated workhorses that I won't worry about the finish. A few with sentimental value or other aesthetic/rarity qualities have been set aside for only light-duty work or special occasion.

I'm sometimes envious of people who can buy just one of a given item and use it to its fullest for years and years.

This is so true
My main hobby is photography
I now have kit I could only dream about a few years ago. Fantastic Full Frame dslrs, a selection of canons finest L lenses ( read expensive ) yet I seem to pick up the cheapest camera/lens combo every time.

I could never sell my expensive gear, so it sits there unused!!

It’s almost like it brings comfort knowing I have the best, regardless that it never sees use.

I am a victim of marketing it seems.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 09:22:09 AM

I know just what you mean , it's both a tragedy and a freeing relief when the first nick/ scar etc shows up on the knife . Its not perfect any more , but then you can just tear into the work with no fear. That said , I did buy my Pioneer specifically to be a work beater .
Thankfully for me and my cellidor Tinker  , some kind folk have also shown me online how to get rid of scratches etc,  so there's always the option of a rewind of the clock so to speak  :)
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 04, 2020, 03:25:06 PM
This is so true
My main hobby is photography
I now have kit I could only dream about a few years ago. Fantastic Full Frame dslrs, a selection of canons finest L lenses ( read expensive ) yet I seem to pick up the cheapest camera/lens combo every time.

I could never sell my expensive gear, so it sits there unused!!

It’s almost like it brings comfort knowing I have the best, regardless that it never sees use.

I am a victim of marketing it seems.

I am more than happy to help you out with those L lenses. I will take good care of them, I promise  :gimme: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2020, 04:24:00 PM
I admit I felt/feel to some degree a little apprehensive when putting a new ( fill in the blank ) item to use for the first time.  I've not narrowed why that is.  I am always enamored with items that show the love of use.  I am equally fond of pristine items.  I take care of what I have but things will show wear. 

I watched about a gentleman who had a puppet opera.  He designed sets for movies and over time he designed puppets that articulated better than what was available.  His passion was his puppet opera.  He had two heirs whom he willed his puppets to.  He had one stipulation for this inheritance, if the show could not continue the puppets and costumes they wore were to be destroyed.  The point for him was the puppets were created to perform and not be on display.  He felt ( paraphrasing ) the life of a violin for example was to be played not sit behind glass.  It disturbed him greatly to think his puppets would serve no purpose.

I can understand when an item is bought for collection purposes.  I've bought items for those same reasons.  Over the years however when I buy an item with the intention of using, I do just that.  I want to use and see the usage wear/marks over a life of enjoyment of that item.  It brings me a great deal of satisfaction.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 02:20:49 AM
I'm on both sides of the fence as well.  I keep my tools pretty well (except for the small blade on my Champion which is covered in glue... go figure)  The first several times I use a new knife, I'm almost hesitant. I'd say though, none of my knives are "beaters"  I use them all with as much care as I would use a kitchen knife.  I don't have too many scratches or dings on my tools in general. 

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 05:47:55 AM

It's like that with everything.
Wise words. Apparently, I need to think about this more often than I do.

I used to be more like that. I need to head back in that direction for more things...except knives. I’ve fallen down the slippery slope. First knife was used solo for 15 1/2 years.  I was perfectly happy with it.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 06:29:05 PM
I don't "hate" any SAKs, but I really dislike the EVO scales. Just very uncomfortable to hold or use and feel "hard" in the hand. Only have one, the EVO equivalent of  Tinker that I got about a year ago. Took it out of the box, fondled it for a while and it has been in my no-use box ever since. Give me flat Cellidor or Alox anytime.
Rich
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 08:03:54 PM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline robo

Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 06:02:00 AM
Lot’s of truth in these posts. I too have purchased many SAKs with great intent to use them and for some reason I talk myself out of using them because they are too nice. A drawer full later and I won’t use most of them. One way I have found to force myself into breaking them in is to stash them around where I might use them, the house, shop, or auto. My hate love one might be a Evo Grip 11. Maybe hate is a strong word for me since I did purchase it but I did end up liking it more over time. Wish the Delemont line could have plus scales somehow as I find myself always wanting to have a pen.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 08:01:42 AM
My most torn up knife is my old Fieldmaster. It was my first Victorinox that started me on this journey. My dad personally picked it out at the hardware store. It has scratches on the scales and the finish on the tools is not pristine like it used to be but it still functions great! I've decided to carry it one last time this Friday and then I'm shelving it. I have too many memories with that knife to ruin it trying pry or cut something.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #22 on: August 06, 2020, 08:04:43 AM
That being said, my hate like knife has to be the Fieldmaster. It's nothing special but it's a toolset I always come back to sooner or later. So basic but yet very handy. I'm hunting down a Wenger Handyman and a new Fieldmaster to take my old ones place. And then I think I'll finally put my wallet away and watch the sunset...maybe.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #23 on: August 06, 2020, 09:13:04 PM
I also have a couple I just won’t use anymore as they have had a long hard life and also have a lot good memories attached. I refurbed them both recently, bought them cases and put them out to grass. The few others I still use now are ones I’ve put together as experiments and an old Swiss Champ which, for me, will always the archetypal SAK. Going camping soon though so will christen the huntsman light on that trip maybe...I just know I’ll need the pliers for something though!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%