Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why I Only Carry a SAK now.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: Why I Only Carry a SAK now.
Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 08:32:34 PM
My LM Charge AL is now in my bike bag. I thought it made the most sense there. I used to keep it in the car but as the breadth of my knowledge about fixing a newish honda can be written on the back of a 58mm SAK scale, I thought it would do better living with the bike which I built myself from scratch and where it can actually be useful.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 08:55:32 PM
A Great Sage (or maybe it was a pathetic loser) raised this same query 9 years ago.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=32146.0

Currently I carry a Swisschamp and its included mini pliers, or an Explorer Plus with no mini pliers, and when I'm feeling spicy add a 5" Knipex Pliers-wrench or Cobra to my EDC.  But I figured out long ago that I don't really dig the pliers on a traditional MT.  I would have no pliers, or a Knipex which pretty much kicks hiney.

Swisschamp.

Knipex pliers-wrench, top right.

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #32 on: August 03, 2020, 09:46:57 PM
I carry a Leatherman Wave with a Bit Kit and extender with a Streamlight microstream for work. 

After work and the weekends I either carry my Super Tinker or Camper with a classic on my keys and a Streamlight microstream.  Having the SAK saves me tons of runs to my Basement toolbox and when out and about I feel equipped to handle 90% of what the world can throw at me. 

I agree with the OP I love solving problems with my Swiss Army Knife and that MacGyver like feeling.  If I had to pick between the Wave and the SAK, it would be the SAK all day long.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 05, 2020, 05:38:50 PM
And because I like a challenge I now only carry a Swiss Army Knife.

Have you experienced the thrilling feeling of liberation by downsizing to only a SAK????

A few years ago when I did another big downsize and finally sold off/gave away all my "other" knives, I felt unbelievably liberated. I used to be into the traditional pocket knives like the stockman pattern, Barlow, trapper, two blade jack. But they all faded to me to a pale shadow. They were one trick ponies, a limited item with just one sole use; cutting. I lost all interest in even owning anything other than a SAK. But a SAK is a small bundle of options when faced with one of life's little unexpected problems.

Now when I see those heavy, bulky over priced, over built and over hyped tactical folders, I just shake my head and wonder "Why/".

Even the teeny little classic I carried for over 20 years in a keyring pouch sheath, fixed so many things that a knife would have no chance. The little SD tip of the nail file was soooo good at Phillips screws, that very often it was the only tool needed. I replaced the spring latch on the door of a Sear's Kenmore clothes drier, fixed a gunked up fishing reel out in a boat, fixed a badly running rental Honda motor scooter in Key West, took apart a G.E. toaster oven to replace the little latch that held the door shut using a paper clip for a new latch bar, then re-assembled the thing with the SD tip nail file. The same SD tip is a great staple puller, and used carefully even opens a cold beer after.

It's even been used as a knife to cut things and open packages.

I've often said, that next to a SAK, all other knives pale to insignificance.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 05, 2020, 07:21:47 PM
I wholeheartedly agree.

There’s something very special about solving the problem in front of you with the contents of your pocket and a little ingenuity.

:iagree:

Best part about doing the challenges here!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 05, 2020, 09:25:32 PM

Now when I see those heavy, bulky over priced, over built and over hyped tactical folders, I just shake my head and wonder "Why/".

Totally agree
I edc a simple folding box cutter (cost £5)
Not a day goes by without being used. I bought bulk and gave one to all colleagues.  Prior to which they never carried anything. Everyday I see them using it for one reason or another. Usually get 4/5yrs from constant use before they fall apart. Luckily I have bulk reserves in the garage.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #36 on: August 07, 2020, 03:47:08 PM
Have you experienced the thrilling feeling of liberation by downsizing to only a SAK????

A few years ago when I did another big downsize and finally sold off/gave away all my "other" knives, I felt unbelievably liberated. I used to be into the traditional pocket knives like the stockman pattern, Barlow, trapper, two blade jack. But they all faded to me to a pale shadow. They were one trick ponies, a limited item with just one sole use; cutting. I lost all interest in even owning anything other than a SAK. But a SAK is a small bundle of options when faced with one of life's little unexpected problems.

Even the teeny little classic I carried for over 20 years in a keyring pouch sheath, fixed so many things that a knife would have no chance. The little SD tip of the nail file was soooo good at Phillips screws, that very often it was the only tool needed. I replaced the spring latch on the door of a Sear's Kenmore clothes drier, fixed a gunked up fishing reel out in a boat, fixed a badly running rental Honda motor scooter in Key West, took apart a G.E. toaster oven to replace the little latch that held the door shut using a paper clip for a new latch bar, then re-assembled the thing with the SD tip nail file. The same SD tip is a great staple puller, and used carefully even opens a cold beer after.

It's even been used as a knife to cut things and open packages.

I've often said, that next to a SAK, all other knives pale to insignificance.

:iagree:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD