Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2024 withdrawn 111mm Models

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
2024 withdrawn 111mm Models
on: February 25, 2024, 01:04:46 PM
Hey Knights

Just checking the 2024 catalogue and it looks like the following 111mm models have gone:

Adventurer, (they never liked the backspring Phillips :( !! ) Alpineer, Hercules, Hunter XS, Locksmith

They really are taking a knife (pardon the pun) to their product line - On top of all the Delemonts, 74mm family and 91mms gone.

Apologies if this has already been posted - I know there has been a lot of speculation - But this seems pretty definite

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Re: 2024 withdrawn 111mm Models
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 01:45:21 PM
The Adventurer was the Centurion, right?  That’s my fav 111mm. Can’t believe they will stop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 02:06:24 PM
I decided to want a Locksmith a bit too late.  I was waffling and took too long.  One will show up somewhere where I can purchase it.
Most coincidences are carefully planned.

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 02:35:06 PM
They really are disappointing. A lot of us like to use a variety, and I, personally, don't like to use models I can't replace.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 02:47:32 PM
@zrxoa1 - Yes the Centurion became the Adventurer in the 2017 changes - The big Tinker !!  ;)  :tu:

us Offline psyjohn

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 02:57:21 PM
I love my Hercules; it stays in my vehicle, or in my bag when kayaking. Am I correct that the Work Champ is only a file layer thicker? If so, I can understand why they would decide to retire the Hercules. I don't like it, but I understand it.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 06:30:12 PM
speaking of discontinued 111 mm models...
i'm a fan of the cowboy

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 06:36:24 PM
vic has been doing some weird stuff lately- getting rid of so many good models and I'm still patiently waiting for them to bring back 84 mm scissors.

Cadet X??

Offline LeDe

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2024, 06:50:27 PM
vic has been doing some weird stuff lately- getting rid of so many good models and I'm still patiently waiting for them to bring back 84 mm scissors.

Cadet X??

(Image removed from quote.)

If the cadet X can't happen, I am willing to show compromise. I'd take a Pioneer X version with a file instead of the awl.

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2024, 07:59:09 PM
I regret every Victorinox model that is discontinued, even models that I personally don't like. A special feature of Victorinox is the enormous variety of sizes and models. It's really sad how much of it has disappeared in such a short time. And how little new came on the other side.

Explorer, I feel with you! What a fitting meme, that's exactly how it seems to me!
While I wait and hope that the 84mm scissors will finally come back, Victorinox is burying half of the 84mm series.   :poh:
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 25, 2024, 10:53:58 PM
I love my Hercules; it stays in my vehicle, or in my bag when kayaking. Am I correct that the Work Champ is only a file layer thicker? If so, I can understand why they would decide to retire the Hercules. I don't like it, but I understand it.

The Hercules was an interesting one for me as it was the 'wrong' configuration!    :think:   
If you want a big chunky tool like a 111mm - Do you really want the diddy pliers - Maybe a pliers based tool would be better  ???    :think:
I think they should have replaced the pliers with the file and made a 111mm 'Ranger' -    :tu: :salute: :)
This I believe would have been an absolutely awesome model and very popular -
It also gets around the 'Locksmith problem', if you wan to rationalise, as you would have a five layer model w a file.

However this guy thinks the Hercules is brilliant and better than the Wave!!    :o

It s a long review - But really worth it as he is a real user who reviews from a real use perspective, rather than so many crappy box openings and desk reviews that you get on YT.

I regret every Victorinox model that is discontinued, even models that I personally don't like. A special feature of Victorinox is the enormous variety of sizes and models. It's really sad how much of it has disappeared in such a short time. And how little new came on the other side.
Yep with you all the way S - I loved that variety and choice.

I do get the product rationalisation thing - SO maybe some slow sellers have to go
Eg As much as I love the Travellers - I could see that those models would be expensive to produce, and therefore buy, and would also be low sellers, as so many people have the electronic functions on their smartphones or watches these days.

I am sad for great models like the Master Craftsman which I think went ages ago
And really sad for the Delemont 85mms especially those evolution scales which were just great -
I know this is sacrilege - But I would have dropped the 84mm line and kept the Delemonts!! And maybe introduced a Delemont Cadet !!  :o

Although TBH - The Delmont 85mms lasted way longer than I thought
- I thought they would go a year or so  - or even immediately - after Vic retired the Wenger SAKs 
But given that they lasted that long  - makes me think even more that they should have kept them   :(
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 10:59:59 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 03:48:11 AM
The Adventurer is actually a rather nice model.  I have a Forester, which is the next size up, and I much prefer the Adventurer. Lighter and thinner.  I guess they still make the Picknicker, which is the Adventurer with a corkscrew...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%