Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A new way to breathe life into the classics

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
A new way to breathe life into the classics
on: August 06, 2020, 02:33:55 PM
It occurred to me the other day that virtually all classic sitcoms relied heavily on just a few plot points, specifically this one:

Character A sees, over years, reads or misinterpret something out of context and ages upon it incorrectly and hilarity ensues until Character B corrects them and everyone learns a lesson.

We've all seen it a thousand times, played in different ways depending on the dynamic, and that becomes the basis for my new game, called How Long Would It Last?

This game is best played with sitcoms made prior to the mid 90's, because the point of it is to determine how long the episode would actually have lasted if someone could simply make a call, send a text,  check their email or even just look at Facebook.

Some may complain that I am exposing plot holes in otherwise timeless classics,  but it has amused me to no end, particularly with the classic I'm currently enjoying,  ALF.

I have to wonder how many of his problems stem from being shut in, and could have been alleviated with internet access?  Of course,  that would have made for much shorter episodes!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: A new way to breathe life into the classics
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 05:47:32 PM
It reminds me of the lack of surveillance cameras in Star Trek (all shows) and how quickly each episode would have finished if they had them, thus finding out what happened in minutes. (Apparently they had none as they have evolved to respect privacy or something similar)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 12:07:18 AM
It reminds me of the lack of surveillance cameras in Star Trek (all shows) and how quickly each episode would have finished if they had them, thus finding out what happened in minutes. (Apparently they had none as they have evolved to respect privacy or something similar)

And yet, at other times they can watch the away team (or whomever) without having a camera placed anywhere!

:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 11:21:53 AM
Try the same thing watching cop shows from the 70's and 80's. Half the time they are worried because some character went on a call and didn't check in when they were expected to.  Back in the day they not only didn't have cell phones but they didn't even have hand held radios so an officer couldn't check in until they got back to their car.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 12:19:45 PM

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 01:10:57 PM
It occurred to me the other day that virtually all classic sitcoms relied heavily on just a few plot points, specifically this one:

Character A sees, over years, reads or misinterpret something out of context and ages upon it incorrectly and hilarity ensues until Character B corrects them and everyone learns a lesson.

We've all seen it a thousand times, played in different ways depending on the dynamic, and that becomes the basis for my new game, called How Long Would It Last?

This game is best played with sitcoms made prior to the mid 90's, because the point of it is to determine how long the episode would actually have lasted if someone could simply make a call, send a text,  check their email or even just look at Facebook.

Some may complain that I am exposing plot holes in otherwise timeless classics,  but it has amused me to no end, particularly with the classic I'm currently enjoying,  ALF.

I have to wonder how many of his problems stem from being shut in, and could have been alleviated with internet access?  Of course,  that would have made for much shorter episodes!

Def

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 07:43:57 PM
And yet, at other times they can watch the away team (or whomever) without having a camera placed anywhere!

:D

Def

Aliens....

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 04:34:51 PM
It usually is....

I'm reminded of one episode of TNG where Geordie is trying to recreate an accident scene on the holodeck and it turns out that it was the fault of some invisible aliens... that they only found out about because the invisible aliens cast shadows that the ship sensors somehow picked up despite there being no cameras on the site.   :facepalm:

Gotta watch those aliens, especially the invisible ones!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%