Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Main blade catching after reassembly ...

Offline Helvetica Bold

Main blade catching after reassembly ...
on: August 09, 2020, 05:35:00 PM
I’ve done a few reassemblies so far and most have been quite successful however I do have one where the main blade seems to be over closing vey slightly and scraping  on the liner/space when I bit my nail into the nick to open it.

Anyone else had that problem?

Could sort of understand it if it was not closing enough perhaps but it snaps nicely closed so not sure how it could be going to far....could it be one of the liner holes become distorted during assembly maybe?

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Main blade catching after reassembly ...
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 10:23:45 PM
Haven’t had it happen on a mod or build, but seen is on a few used knives over the years. I check the fit before peening. I just push the main blade toward the small blade. Mostly to check for any alignment issues, but also contact with the liner and spacer.

One possible fix if you don’t want to take it apart is to remove a tiny bit of material on the round end of the tang where it goes flat on the blade side. Where the blade makes contact with the backspring when closed. Just not the choil side.

Good luck with the fix.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 12:56:13 PM
Haven’t had it happen on a mod or build, but seen is on a few used knives over the years. I check the fit before peening. I just push the main blade toward the small blade. Mostly to check for any alignment issues, but also contact with the liner and spacer.

One possible fix if you don’t want to take it apart is to remove a tiny bit of material on the round end of the tang where it goes flat on the blade side. Where the blade makes contact with the backspring when closed. Just not the choil side.

Good luck with the fix.

nice one, I think I'll give that a go as don't want to take it apart again at this stage if possible ;0)

Cheers

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 06:49:18 PM
Would you believe it! I just decided to give it a bit of  lubrication, just in case, and it did the job after I opened the blades and back tools a couple of times....!  :rofl: :woohoo:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 08:07:10 PM by Helvetica Bold »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 11:46:51 PM
Would you believe it! I just decided to give it a bit of  lubrication, just in case, and it did the job after I opened the blades and back tools a couple of times....!  :rofl: :woohoo:

Well, that’s certainly better than a permanent fix for a temporary problem!

:tu:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%