Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Inlays

Offline toolnoob

Victorinox Inlays
on: August 10, 2020, 06:52:52 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows how the stainless steel Victorinox shield inlays are mounted in the cellidor models? Are they glued in, do they "snap" into the scales, or how else are they held on? I've seen some pretty old cellidor models with the inlays still attached, so whatever method Victorinox uses, it's probably rather durable.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Inlays
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 11:38:05 PM
I’ve seen a video where machinery is used to remove the strip of die cut logos and embed/inlay into scales using pressure and presumably heat. It was a pretty short clip so it’s possible that I didn’t understand exactly what I was looking at.

Before I saw that video, I imagined that they were set in the injection molds for the scales. The shape of the back side of the front scales make me think that’s the case...at least for some.

Perhaps they have or still use both. Can’t say for certain.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline toolnoob

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 11:49:04 PM
Oh cool, but how does heat and pressure bond steel to plastic? Do you have a link to that video you've mentioned? Thanks!

Offline toolnoob

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 02:26:14 AM
Actually, I have found the video (or a similar one)! The application of the inlays occurs at 5:18 - but how are they held on? Via heat and pressure? Any thoughts?

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 04:20:52 AM
Actually, I have found the video (or a similar one)! The application of the inlays occurs at 5:18 - but how are they held on? Via heat and pressure? Any thoughts?

:tu:

That’s the one!

I think there are two aspects.  Melted plastic will act somewhat like hot glue. And when the inlay is pressed in, there will be some mechanical attachment from the plastic surrounding the inlay and in surface imperfections thus ‘locking’ it in place.

I’ve made repairs to some vintage inlays. Both loose and missing. But that process is a bit of a secret.  ;)
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline toolnoob

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 08:05:25 AM
Cool, that would make sense. In the video, it seems there is a whiteish liquid deposited on the tray where the "stamping" machine goes to pick up the inlay. I wonder if that is some sort of lubricant? Or adhesive? Who knows lol :think:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 09:16:44 AM
Very good question - Always wondered that myself - And also kinda assumed heat and pressure too.
Plus crazy thoughts like do they 'dig/carve out' the slot for the shield

If you push the shield off through that little hole behind the cross - It pops out easily and does not seem glued
But of course always stays in situ.

Other thing that always amazes me is if you run your finger over the shield you cannot feel it as it blends in so 'flatly' with the scales

Love Victorinox and their products and techniques   :tu:   :D     

Offline toolnoob

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 11:11:41 PM
Yup, high quality yet efficient manufacturing!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%