Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

List of modding equipment

Offline tonyg

List of modding equipment
on: August 11, 2020, 02:52:24 AM
Could someone list the tools one should have to mod 91mm SAKS?  Thanks.

us Offline Frailer

Re: List of modding equipment
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 03:32:37 AM
Having done exactly one mod, and that being of the simplest sort (removing layers), I’m far from qualified to come up with a list of what you *should* use. I will say that all I used was a variable speed hand drill w/ a 3/32” bit, a punch, a small ball peen hammer, a file, and a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel (to grind the head off the pin that doesn’t have a bushing) and a cutoff wheel (to cut the pins to length). I would have preferred a set of sturdy diagonal cutters to the cutoff wheel, but the cheap set I had on-hand weren’t up to the task. I’ve since ordered a Knipex set for future jobs.

I’d also add the job was made *tremendously* easier by making the fixture pictured below. After I removed the knife’s scales I placed it on the short side of a length of 2x4 and whacked it gently with a rubber mallet. I then drilled holes where the bushings made indentations in the wood. This was sufficient to keep the knife held firmly while I drilled out the pins. It worked like a champ.

Again, I’m by no means qualified to give recommendations; I just thought I’d share the experience of a fellow newbie. It was great fun, and I’ll definitely do it again.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 04:02:35 AM by Frailer »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 05:10:13 AM
I think the only thing ‘missing’ from Frailer’s list is...

...a SAK!

I always have one (or two) on standby for dismantling and assembly. Openers for pry bars, metal saw for files, chisel for scraping, pliers for...whatever. A Troubleshooter or Champ is usually on duty.

I also use another drill bit a step down, 5/64”? I prefer using the cutoff wheels to trim pins. At least for ‘better’/permanent builds. Clipped ends are always more work to get to final length, IMO.

I use center punches to mark spots to drill. Drift punches to push out rivets.

Anvil or bench steel is nice to have. So are clamps.

I’m probably in the minority on the assembly jig(s). I don’t use any. Everything gets assembled in my hands.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Frailer

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 05:45:09 AM
I completely forgot my center punch and anvil (I use a length of railway track). As they say, the memory is the second thing to go...

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 05:57:18 AM
I completely forgot my center punch and anvil (I use a length of railway track). As they say, the memory is the second thing to go...

:rofl:

I also forgot to add a smooth face claw hammer!

:facepalm:

Probably something else we’re forgetting.  :think:

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 03:41:00 PM
Drill
Punch
File
Hammer
A hard surface
Patience
A steady hand

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 03:43:49 PM
Other tools can be useful too.  Vice, fixtures, grinder, more files, parallel punches, sandpaper, pliers, pillar drill, more drill bits...

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 03:50:21 PM
Gareth's how-to guide is good, and shows the tools he used: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9808.0.htm (though I disagree about preforming the head on the rivet before re-assembly).

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 04:47:43 PM
I wrote a post about 'how-to' awhile ago, and listed out what I think are the essential tools in the end:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82166.msg1969411.html#msg1969411

What I think is essential tools for making 91mm mod:
Hammer
Drill
2 and 2.5mm drill bits
Center Punch
Jig(debatable, but it just make life so so much easier, can't imagine without it)
Tape
File
Saw(to mod the liner)
Sand paper

Nice to have tools:
Drill press
Dremel + diamond cutoff disk(for quick liner/hook modding)
Dental pick(or something similar to pull the springs back to install the layers)

Offline tonyg

Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 05:24:07 PM
Great tips......thanks!  I have most of those things already.  Patience is on my list of things to get, and unfortunately it is unavailable at my local hardware store.  Thanks also for the helpful links.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 05:44:35 PM
Great tips......thanks!  I have most of those things already.  Patience is on my list of things to get, and unfortunately it is unavailable at my local hardware store.  Thanks also for the helpful links.

Take a look at some of the mods some folks have done awlready and see what they've used. That might help, too, if you're thinking about a similar mod.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline robo

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 08:53:23 PM
I’m not much of a modder either but I use the drill bits mentioned previously; 1/16, 3/32, 5/64”. The can opener on a Victorinox is what I use to pry scales and layers. If I clean the ends of the pins a bit I am able to do without the punch and I just pry around the liners a bit to lift them up.

The edge of the can opener is one of my favorite tools and great for so many tasks. I also use a dremmel with cut off wheel. I tape one side of my tiny needle nose pliers to set the springs when rebuilding and that keeps my from damaging those thin liners. I use an old ball hitch for my anvil and a ball peen hammer to make the new rivet heads. Then a small 3 sided file or file on my old workchamp to smooth them after dremmelling them down close. I use a cloth over a vice to press on scales.

Check out the nice guides already posted and mentioned. I would not have made it through my mods without that information. Then figure out what works for you and your available tools.

I got into making a couple mods simply because I wanted certain minimal toolsets not available on any other models.

A big THANK YOU to those that posted guides!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%