Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any rumors about a Cadet X?

us Offline Halberdier

Any rumors about a Cadet X?
on: August 11, 2020, 02:59:50 PM
That's one on my wish list.
I complained that I had no hat, until I met a man who had no head.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Any rumors about a Cadet X?
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 03:06:02 PM
From my understanding we are as far away from a new 84mm SAK with scissors, as we are from building a cold fusion power plant  :facepalm:

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 03:11:42 PM
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 03:58:40 PM
Still dreaming about an Electrician X...

:dd: :dd: :dd: :dd:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 03:59:59 PM
From my understanding we are as far away from a new 84mm SAK with scissors, as we are from building a cold fusion power plant  :facepalm:

:iagree:

People just need to accept that reality. They are NOT going to bring back the 84mm scissors for whatever 84mm SAK, It's not going to happen. That stamping machine is gone, and has been at least since late 80's as far as i know. They are not spending any money making new stamping/cutting molds for the 84mm scissors, the back spring and the scissors spring.

And on top of it all there's is already an 85mm line of SAK's with scissors and much more, so why on earth would they make a "special" 84mm SAK with scissors when they had to have that amount of work and expense?

I personaly wouldn't take a 84mm Cadet X over the Pioneer X, the only advantage is pocket size. It would be less comfortable to use than the Pioneer X IMO. The PX ergonomics are amazing in the hand, both as a knife or SD's.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 01:49:24 AM
I'd be just as happy with a Cadet II... and that's probably not happening either. 

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 02:24:21 AM
The downsides of the 85mm Wenger style scissors that I see are probably due to the way they are made, ie, easier than the 84mm Victorinox scissors.
The Wenger scissors are stamped out of thinner stock than the Vic scissors, less material waste, so cheaper to make, but not as nice ergonomically. The grind is rougher, less refined, so less time spent on extra tumbling cycles to clean and polish. The combined back spring that acts as the scissor spring as well is one part. If they had a split / double spring, this would make extra work to produce, though drastically improve the usability in my opinion.

To me, if the wobble wasn't there, the operating portion at least had a thicker area for pressing on with your thumb, the user could probably refine the profile as desired and they'd be sooo much better.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 02:47:02 AM
My simplistic assumptions for manufacture are:

Wenger Scissors: Stamp, tumble, grind profile and edge, assemble (main fixed part and moving part with rivet, spring bar when assembling tool?)

Vic Scissors: Stamp, (maybe tumble), grind profile, tumble, grind edges, assemble (main fixed part and moving part with rivet, spring in there somewhere) I don't know if the spring hole and slot need to be machined in there.

I could be wrong in all this, if anyone knows the exact process I'd be happy to find out.

One less step though may not seem like much, but in mass production, saving a few cents off the cost of manufacture adds up to a lot over many units

ca Offline Altis

Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 06:52:37 AM
I personaly wouldn't take a 84mm Cadet X over the Pioneer X, the only advantage is pocket size. It would be less comfortable to use than the Pioneer X IMO. The PX ergonomics are amazing in the hand, both as a knife or SD's.

I'm with you on the ergonomics... the Cadet does feel a bit finicky in the hand, although it's considerably smaller and lighter. Pioneer X is much better for me.

Although a Cadet X would make the file make more sense to me -- it always struck me as odd to have a file with no scissors.  :pok:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 09:26:11 AM
As above, wishers will likely die wishing. Meanwhile, if you need scissors and can't bring yourself to carry a larger Vic or a Delemont, remember the capable ones on the 58mm that you have on your keyring. You DO have keyrings, right?  :pok:  Heck, the Classic even comes in alox.
Rambler

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 03:35:17 AM
I too think the odds we will see a Cadet X are quite long.  However, here are a few options not yet mentioned in this thread:
  • Money Clip - Alox scales, blade, scissors, and nail file, and the money clip works fine as a pocket clip if desired
  • Wenger Stainless Traveler or Metal 50 - Pretty much all the tools a Cadet X would have plus a few extra.  A bit pricey these days (though they always were somewhat), but still available on the 'bay

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 04:20:52 AM
I can seem to make do with a knife when a scissors would do a better job. I’ve carried both the Pioneer and the Pioneer X and prefer the Pioneer.

I prefer Cadet no scissors. I carry the cadet when I need to dress up and carry light.

For my purpose scissors would just add bulk.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 10:37:26 AM
I can seem to make do with a knife when a scissors would do a better job. I%u2019ve carried both the Pioneer and the Pioneer X and prefer the Pioneer.

I prefer Cadet no scissors. I carry the cadet when I need to dress up and carry light.

For my purpose scissors would just add bulk.

I used to think like that too, and for a long time carried two layer models plus a classic on the keys for scissors. But come to realize that the classic small scissors can only do so much, and a lot of time when scissors (bigger ones at least) are required they are much safer and friendlier than a blade. I tend to only pull out the blade on my sak's when a blade is the only tool that will do the job, and it's justifiable for it. If the scissors or the awl can do the job, why use the blade more than necessary, not to mention the possibility of alarming people more than necessary?

About the P vs PX difference, while i love the P, i prefer the PX not only for the added scissors but for me the PX's ergonomics are better ( a squared shape, rather than a flatter one), both for cutting or using as a SD. And it doesn't make that much of a difference in the pocket, at least for me. But i tend to wear jeens 90% of the time, so it helps with the pocket carry.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 12:51:11 PM
I too think the odds we will see a Cadet X are quite long.  However, here are a few options not yet mentioned in this thread:
  • Money Clip - Alox scales, blade, scissors, and nail file, and the money clip works fine as a pocket clip if desired
  • Wenger Stainless Traveler or Metal 50 - Pretty much all the tools a Cadet X would have plus a few extra.  A bit pricey these days (though they always were somewhat), but still available on the 'bay

Not to mention, Ambassador Money Clips are quite cheap on the secondary market. I paid about five bucks for mine. I carry it clipped to my watch pocket.

Offline cypher

Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 11:55:08 PM
Cadet X, Cadet 2, more Cadets in general and more impact-resistant nylon Ecoline (sadly discontinued) matt scales for the rest.
Better lock for big models because that sticking out linerlock is killing my fingers (slider lock was better in that regard).
Also bit thicker stock for the blade and crossbow on blade stamp. (Maybe brass liners?)
Different blade steel? Different blade colors?
And modular design (screws instead of brass rivets so you can reconfigure your own SAK in a minute) and scales that you can take off and on without them fitting loose.
Did I forrget about something?
Yep aint gonna happen. :rant:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69