Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Woodworkers? Need A Little Advice

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Any Woodworkers? Need A Little Advice
on: August 12, 2020, 04:45:22 PM
Ok, as the name kinda says it I’m not into woodworking but a explumber, I have a special piece of wood coming in called saguaro, it’s from Arizona and is the ribs of the big cacti, I’m sure none of you have worked with this wood but I’m after what you think would be the best finish, I’m thinking of giving it a little stain with a hint of red but not totally sure, I’m probably going to try a little spot where the rubber foots going to go so I can hide it if I don’t like it but what about a finish? It’s going to be a hiking staff, do I use a polyurethane, a teak, or a polycrylic? It’s something special cause my grandfather used to take me hiking up in the areas where these things were all over, but we’re talking 30yrs ago,, here’s a pic so you understand, and the one I’m getting,, oh and the color I was thinking,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Any Woodworkers? Need A Little Advice
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 06:58:45 PM
Cool project JR :like: I normaly use Danish oil, but I usually work with birch and the Danish oil makes it really pop :tu:
Other than that I cant really help :facepalm:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 07:52:48 PM
Well I just got back from the store and decided not to stain the wood because it’s a special species but this what I got,,
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

se Offline RF52

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 09:07:49 PM
Looking forward to seeing the result :popcorn:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 09:58:28 PM
I usually prefer oils (like linseed oil, Danish Oil) over varnishes which can look plastic-y.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 09:59:06 PM
Looking forward to seeing the result :popcorn:

Thanks,
There’s a little history behind doing this, one I’ve always thought these things were cool, but my grandfather used to take me hiking up in the mountains where these things were all over, of course this was 30yrs ago. But what most people think is that these are just a plant, yet these grow huge, and for every vertical foot weigh 100lbs because there mostly water, and I think the highest recorded was 78ft, so these things are heavy! At the same time where they grow can be high winds so they need support! So they the bones or skeleton structure, which is super strong and connect to roots and can take the weight, or else this would be a huge flopping cucumber,, again I haven’t been out that way in so long and I really wanted something to remember my grandfather by besides my sak,
JR
Here’s a pic to give you an idea of how heavy these can be!

se Offline RF52

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 12:59:22 PM
That is a great story and a nice way of remembering :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 04:24:57 PM
No woodworker here but I like how boiled linseed oil penetrates the wood and preserves dried wood.  I also like the finished look afterwards.  I'd imagine you can apply the product once the BLO has cured/dried to further protect the saguaro  :dunno:.  I had no idea that Saguaro had those wood inner part.  Makes sense tho since yes these can get huge and heavy. 

Good luck on your project. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 04:45:08 PM
No woodworker here but I like how boiled linseed oil penetrates the wood and preserves dried wood.  I also like the finished look afterwards.  I'd imagine you can apply the product once the BLO has cured/dried to further protect the saguaro  :dunno:.  I had no idea that Saguaro had those wood inner part.  Makes sense tho since yes these can get huge and heavy. 

Good luck on your project.
Well like I explained most people don’t know that they have wood and are just a plant, there’s another one I almost went with and who know maybe down the line get a piece and make one but it’s called cholla, very light weight yet very thick, but it’s hollow with a bunch of holes, these were made into rainstick, they would take the thorns from the cacti and fill in the holes so they would point into the center, then close up an end and pour in seed or rock and close up the other end, so as you turned the stick over all of what was poured inside would slowly fall and hit the thorns making a rain sound,, I have one that I made with a shipping tube nails and popcorn seeds, sounds not to bad, I did post it on here,, but here’s a pic so you can see understand, one you gotta get a straight piece, but then the other you can see it’s hollow so how everything fell and hit the thorns pushed through the holes,
JR

se Offline RF52

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 08:37:28 PM
That is a cool piece :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 08:43:35 PM
 :iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 10:03:57 PM
Well my piece came in, the Mrs and I went for a walk and as we came back there was something sitting on our front porch, now the kid was suppose to be getting something today but he never said what so I wasn’t going to get excited, that was until we got closer to the house and I saw something hanging in the mailbox, so I was like it’s gotta be it, even though it wasn’t suppose to be here till tomorrow,,
I must say this guy knows how to wrap things, it took about 15min to fully cut through the bubble wrap and plastic wrap, but the sak got use today,, funny thing is that pioneerX weighs about the same as that whole piece of wood! It literally weighs nothin! Unfortunately I don’t have a light enough scale,,
JR

se Offline RF52

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 10:06:06 PM
Nice :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 11:07:25 PM
There might be enough room to angle the top part forward like Pacer Poles which are meant to be much better ergonomically...  :think:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 11:26:21 PM
There might be enough room to angle the top part forward like Pacer Poles which are meant to be much better ergonomically...  :think:
I was actually thinking of narrowing out the lower half and leaving one part up top where the upper hand would grip so it be comfortable yet at the same time when you went to lift some kinda rested on the part between your thumb and index,,
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 01:22:38 AM
Had some time before dinner and we’ll I couldn’t pass up working on it! So we went out to the garage,
I shaped a handle grip then made it round, started with a 60grit and worked up to a 240grit and I must say this thing is taking shape! Pretty comfortable!
Mrs took some pics as I was working,,
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: August 14, 2020, 01:27:20 AM
I kinda wish I had a soldering iron, this way since I left the top wide I could burn something like this in,,
JR

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 12:27:11 PM
Here's a video with some ideas. I remember seeing another, with some cool features added to the walking staff, but can't seem to find it...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #18 on: August 14, 2020, 01:33:45 PM
Super cool project JR!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 03:32:04 PM
Here's a video with some ideas. I remember seeing another, with some cool features added to the walking staff, but can't seem to find it...

I have my survival staff, under the handle there’s fishing hooks, half a saw blade, zip ties, band aides, on the top is the compass with hook, the paracord, paracord sling, and then on the bottom markings to use as a ruler,
The other one is my more fancy, leather grip, leather Grip, with fancy leather sling, No compass but JR on top!
Lastly I did a cheap crappy simple one from a rake handle, has the compass, and sling, but just so simple so if it broke I didn’t care,
So this one I kinda wanted to stay a little more natural, maybe with simple leather grip, but other then that maybe a carving of what it is to keep it simple and special?
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 10:07:47 PM
Got the staff to the perfect grip and sanded down to 340grit, so came the next step by putting the first coat of polycrylic on! So now it’s just hanging out on the garage drying! Next up 600grit and another couple coats!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: August 15, 2020, 11:04:44 PM
Sanded this morning but a little pretty much down to the wood cause I didn’t like it, then coated it, and just a few min ago we just came in from me sanding it lightly with 320grit and putting a 2nd coat on, I mean I could do another 2 coats today because the garage is so hot and once I close up the door it’s like a toaster oven and that coat should be dry within like well under the 2hr mark.. but I’m in no rush,, so 2 down and at least 4 to go!
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%