Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best Knife/MT Oil 444

No Life Club Posts: 2,513
Best Knife/MT Oil
« on: August 13, 2020, 08:19:15 PM »
Evening all  :salute:

I'm quite new to the collecting thing (18 months or so) but always had an interest  :tu:

I was wondering what type of oil/lube (no rude comments please, you know who you are  :rofl: )

I recently acquired a Spyderco UKPK (amongst other things) but I have noticed that, despite VERY little actual use, it seems like it needs a helping hand as it's getting stiff around the pivot (ok Reinier you might as well chime in now  :facepalm: )

Any thoughts... :think:

FYI: I have done a search but there are so many options that it's impossible to refine it...

They don't like it up 'em!
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,949 Bored

dks cy

Re: Best Knife/MT Oil
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 08:26:50 PM »
Victorinox oil works well and is food safe.

most light oils work too

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 08:33:37 PM »
Victorinox oil works well and is food safe.

most light oils work too
:hatsoff: :salute: :tu:

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,564
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 08:49:48 PM »
I use 3in1 for my Leatherman MTs.  I add very little to the pivots from time to time and when I get a new to me LM MT, I always clean first then add 3in1 oil to the pivots and give the whole tool a little wipe.  I'm not overly concerned with food safe on those. 

On my SAKs and Trads I use a very light drop of Mineral oil.  I like to use something that I'd be able to consume since the knives will be in contact possibly with food.  I use my can opener on my SAKs but I don't use my blade on food necessarily.  Regardless I like to use a food safe oil. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »
I use 3in1 for my Leatherman MTs.  I add very little to the pivots from time to time and when I get a new to me LM MT, I always clean first then add 3in1 oil to the pivots and give the whole tool a little wipe.  I'm not overly concerned with food safe on those. 

On my SAKs and Trads I use a very light drop of Mineral oil.  I like to use something that I'd be able to consume since the knives will be in contact possibly with food.  I use my can opener on my SAKs but I don't use my blade on food necessarily.  Regardless I like to use a food safe oil.
Thank you  :salute:

I'll dig out the 3 in 1 tomorrow morning then  :tu:

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,564
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »
 :tu:.  For a tool that will not be used on anything food related I have found its a very good oil.  I use it sparingly as a little goes a long way.  A wipe of any excess over the whole tools and I've never had rust issues.   

Esse Quam Videri
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,677
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 11:29:52 PM »
I just used 3-IN-ONE on a Wave I recently acquired which was stiff in places.

First I soaked it in water with dish detergent, then scrubbed with an old toothbrush which was luckily all it needed to remove any dirt, then dried it the best I could with a paper towel.

Next I sprayed CRC 5:56 (I don't have WD40) into all the pivots to help free them and also to displace any moisture still in there. I worked all the moving parts repeatedly then wiped off as much as I could.

Lastly I worked 3-IN-ONE into all the pivots and wiped off the excess.

It all moves much more freely now although I may loosen one of the pivots as some of the internal tools are still a bit reluctant to come out.
I'm not saying you should do all this, it's just what I did. You could probably just go straight to the oil. :salute:

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 11:42:04 PM »
I just used 3-IN-ONE on a Wave I recently acquired which was stiff in places.

First I soaked it in water with dish detergent, then scrubbed with an old toothbrush which was luckily all it needed to remove any dirt, then dried it the best I could with a paper towel.

Next I sprayed CRC 5:56 (I don't have WD40) into all the pivots to help free them and also to displace any moisture still in there. I worked all the moving parts repeatedly then wiped off as much as I could.

Lastly I worked 3-IN-ONE into all the pivots and wiped off the excess.

It all moves much more freely now although I may loosen one of the pivots as some of the internal tools are still a bit reluctant to come out.
I'm not saying you should do all this, it's just what I did. You could probably just go straight to the oil. :salute:
That sounds very thorough  :tu:

Is soaking considered ok with the Spydie types  :dunno:

Perhaps whilst I'm here, being dumb, what's the best way to clean/lube an Alox SAK (apart from the dishwasher, obviously  :rofl: )

If there's a proper thread for this please direct me to it and I'll stop all the daft questions  :whistle:

Hero Member Posts: 930
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 04:05:03 AM »
I use 85 weight Nano Oil on damn near anything (it's thick enough that it even does a passable job on torch threads), it seems pricey at first but I'm about a 3rd through a syringe thing that I bought 6 years ago and lets say my collecting problem hobby is in an advanced state  :whistle:

Become the night and join us for the Batman Challenge in January!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »
I use 85 weight Nano Oil on damn near anything (it's thick enough that it even does a passable job on torch threads), it seems pricey at first but I'm about a 3rd through a syringe thing that I bought 6 years ago and lets say my collecting problem hobby is in an advanced state  :whistle:
:tu: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 06:10:36 PM »
DAY 14

Maintenance

After encountering a degree of stiffness on my tool (UKPK) around the pivot, I lubed both it, and the Manix 2 with some 3 in 1  :D

Where is Renier now  :pok: :dunno:

They are now both doing their thing very smoothly  :tu:

Thanks for the advice on a suitable oil :salute:

I'm quite limited in what I can actually get on the High St and as for delivery  :ahhh :ahhh

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,677
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 10:36:03 PM »
From my perusing oil threads, some other options are:

Mineral oil
Olive oil
INOX
Nano Oil
Ballistol
Tuff Glide
Remoil
Graphite

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,949 Bored

dks cy

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 06:27:07 PM »
Ignore all answers including mine :

Designed specifically for multitools and knives by our supreme leader, anything else is a compromise

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
Administrator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,477 I am geek, hear me code
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 09:44:34 PM »
wondered how long that would take  :rofl:

Listen to our Metal Radio Show: https://www.mixcloud.com/sexto9

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60