Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best Knife/MT Oil 1470

No Life Club Posts: 3,164
Best Knife/MT Oil
« on: August 13, 2020, 08:19:15 PM »
Evening all  :salute:

I'm quite new to the collecting thing (18 months or so) but always had an interest  :tu:

I was wondering what type of oil/lube (no rude comments please, you know who you are  :rofl: )

I recently acquired a Spyderco UKPK (amongst other things) but I have noticed that, despite VERY little actual use, it seems like it needs a helping hand as it's getting stiff around the pivot (ok Reinier you might as well chime in now  :facepalm: )

Any thoughts... :think:

FYI: I have done a search but there are so many options that it's impossible to refine it...

They don't like it up 'em!
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,109 Bored

dks cy

Re: Best Knife/MT Oil
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 08:26:50 PM »
Victorinox oil works well and is food safe.

most light oils work too

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 08:33:37 PM »
Victorinox oil works well and is food safe.

most light oils work too
:hatsoff: :salute: :tu:

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 25,728
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 08:49:48 PM »
I use 3in1 for my Leatherman MTs.  I add very little to the pivots from time to time and when I get a new to me LM MT, I always clean first then add 3in1 oil to the pivots and give the whole tool a little wipe.  I'm not overly concerned with food safe on those. 

On my SAKs and Trads I use a very light drop of Mineral oil.  I like to use something that I'd be able to consume since the knives will be in contact possibly with food.  I use my can opener on my SAKs but I don't use my blade on food necessarily.  Regardless I like to use a food safe oil. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »
I use 3in1 for my Leatherman MTs.  I add very little to the pivots from time to time and when I get a new to me LM MT, I always clean first then add 3in1 oil to the pivots and give the whole tool a little wipe.  I'm not overly concerned with food safe on those. 

On my SAKs and Trads I use a very light drop of Mineral oil.  I like to use something that I'd be able to consume since the knives will be in contact possibly with food.  I use my can opener on my SAKs but I don't use my blade on food necessarily.  Regardless I like to use a food safe oil.
Thank you  :salute:

I'll dig out the 3 in 1 tomorrow morning then  :tu:

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 25,728
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »
 :tu:.  For a tool that will not be used on anything food related I have found its a very good oil.  I use it sparingly as a little goes a long way.  A wipe of any excess over the whole tools and I've never had rust issues.   

Esse Quam Videri
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,293
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 11:29:52 PM »
I just used 3-IN-ONE on a Wave I recently acquired which was stiff in places.

First I soaked it in water with dish detergent, then scrubbed with an old toothbrush which was luckily all it needed to remove any dirt, then dried it the best I could with a paper towel.

Next I sprayed CRC 5:56 (I don't have WD40) into all the pivots to help free them and also to displace any moisture still in there. I worked all the moving parts repeatedly then wiped off as much as I could.

Lastly I worked 3-IN-ONE into all the pivots and wiped off the excess.

It all moves much more freely now although I may loosen one of the pivots as some of the internal tools are still a bit reluctant to come out.
I'm not saying you should do all this, it's just what I did. You could probably just go straight to the oil. :salute:

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 11:42:04 PM »
I just used 3-IN-ONE on a Wave I recently acquired which was stiff in places.

First I soaked it in water with dish detergent, then scrubbed with an old toothbrush which was luckily all it needed to remove any dirt, then dried it the best I could with a paper towel.

Next I sprayed CRC 5:56 (I don't have WD40) into all the pivots to help free them and also to displace any moisture still in there. I worked all the moving parts repeatedly then wiped off as much as I could.

Lastly I worked 3-IN-ONE into all the pivots and wiped off the excess.

It all moves much more freely now although I may loosen one of the pivots as some of the internal tools are still a bit reluctant to come out.
I'm not saying you should do all this, it's just what I did. You could probably just go straight to the oil. :salute:
That sounds very thorough  :tu:

Is soaking considered ok with the Spydie types  :dunno:

Perhaps whilst I'm here, being dumb, what's the best way to clean/lube an Alox SAK (apart from the dishwasher, obviously  :rofl: )

If there's a proper thread for this please direct me to it and I'll stop all the daft questions  :whistle:

No Life Club Posts: 1,475
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 04:05:03 AM »
I use 85 weight Nano Oil on damn near anything (it's thick enough that it even does a passable job on torch threads), it seems pricey at first but I'm about a 3rd through a syringe thing that I bought 6 years ago and lets say my collecting problem hobby is in an advanced state  :whistle:

Become the night and join us for the Batman Challenge in January!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »
I use 85 weight Nano Oil on damn near anything (it's thick enough that it even does a passable job on torch threads), it seems pricey at first but I'm about a 3rd through a syringe thing that I bought 6 years ago and lets say my collecting problem hobby is in an advanced state  :whistle:
:tu: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 06:10:36 PM »
DAY 14

Maintenance

After encountering a degree of stiffness on my tool (UKPK) around the pivot, I lubed both it, and the Manix 2 with some 3 in 1  :D

Where is Renier now  :pok: :dunno:

They are now both doing their thing very smoothly  :tu:

Thanks for the advice on a suitable oil :salute:

I'm quite limited in what I can actually get on the High St and as for delivery  :ahhh :ahhh

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,293
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 10:36:03 PM »
From my perusing oil threads, some other options are:

Mineral oil
Olive oil
INOX
Nano Oil
Ballistol
Tuff Glide
Remoil
Graphite

dks cy

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 06:27:07 PM »
Ignore all answers including mine :

Designed specifically for multitools and knives by our supreme leader, anything else is a compromise

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
Administrator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,527 I am geek, hear me code
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 09:44:34 PM »
wondered how long that would take  :rofl:

Listen to our Metal Radio Show: https://www.mixcloud.com/sexto9
Newbie Posts: 19
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2021, 12:51:38 AM »
I've been using bike lubricant, Finish Line dry teflon. No contact with food, so no concerns there. A needle-type applicator reduces the mess.

I've considered trying the Vic oil, but this is the first I have heard of Uncle Def's.
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,990 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 02:38:07 AM »
First off, I'm going to move this to General, as more people are likely to see it there, and this forum is more for site questions rather than tool questions.

Secondly, here's all you need to know about Uncle Def's:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,26980.0.html

Lastly, despite the above, I strongly recommend using a dry lubricant like powdered graphite.  Liquid lubricants (oils) trap all kinds of nasty stuff inside them, and then when they dry out, all that crud is pretty well cemented into the pivot.  A dry lube won't do that.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
No Life Club Posts: 1,475
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 02:55:42 AM »
First off, I'm going to move this to General, as more people are likely to see it there, and this forum is more for site questions rather than tool questions.

Lastly, despite the above, I strongly recommend using a dry lubricant like powdered graphite.  Liquid lubricants (oils) trap all kinds of nasty stuff inside them, and then when they dry out, all that crud is pretty well cemented into the pivot.  A dry lube won't do that.

Def

I don't think drying out is really an issue for anything that isn't left to sit in dry conditions for an extended period of time, the occasional drop can keep things  fresh and with a pocket knife dissassmbly and cleaning is really straightforward most of the time. If things get stuck on the pivot you can just pop it out and use a driver to spin it into a cleaning rag/tissue.

Dry lube has more issue with spot application and displacement imo

Become the night and join us for the Batman Challenge in January!
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,775

Nix us

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 03:10:00 AM »
I like Ballistol.

heterodox, not in the box

dks cy

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2021, 09:50:39 AM »
Dry lube is what I need on Ball                       -  bearing knives

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,825
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2021, 11:35:10 AM »
I like Ballistol.

+1   :tu:   ...it did never dry out on me and is food safe too.

From my own experience (yours can vary) dry lubricant can become stuck in the places it was applied to and needs to be cleaned off at some point. It can be good where there is a little more space like bearings etc.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 11:41:43 AM by McStitchy »

Formerly known as MTMatt
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,990 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2021, 02:52:35 PM »

Def

Made a mistake... wrong link...

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51383.0.html

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
No Life Club Posts: 1,534
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2021, 03:16:07 PM »
Mineral oil.  Food safe. Cheap. Easily available.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,140
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2021, 05:12:40 PM »
I like mineral oil, I use it a lot in my carpentry, but I do love the old fashioned smell of 3in1.

Full Member Posts: 175
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2021, 01:59:36 PM »
wd-40 but it collects pocket lint

krae penetrating oil, works good gets deep into a stuck pivot.
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2021, 05:01:21 PM »

Can it be used on knee joints/backs/shoulders etc?

Asking for a friend.... :whistle:

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,825
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2021, 05:05:05 PM »
Can it be used on knee joints/backs/shoulders etc?

Asking for a friend.... :whistle:

Yes, but the supplied nozzle is quite blunt and it's a bit of a pain to get in to the joints with it  :dunno:

Formerly known as MTMatt
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,140
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2021, 05:37:42 PM »

WD-40s a tricky one as it wasn't originally intended as a lube, it's also prone to gumming up over time or conversely evaporating.  :think: I've not had any issue with it apart from the sickly smell.

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2021, 06:37:51 PM »
Yes, but the supplied nozzle is quite blunt and it's a bit of a pain to get in to the joints with it  :dunno:
Thanks for letting me him know  :cheers: :-[

Jr. Member Posts: 82
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2021, 12:14:17 AM »
Is INOX still available? That's what I use and really like it. I got it from a member on SOSAK (knifeforum days) and only use it occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

No Life Club Posts: 4,853 Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2021, 07:41:44 AM »
Is INOX still available? That's what I use and really like it. I got it from a member on SOSAK (knifeforum days) and only use it occasionally.

INOX seem to have a few different lubricating products available here in Oz (the ones most readily available seem to be aerosol format).  I had good results with locks/cylinders, it but hasn't been on long enough to rate the longevity yet.

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $96.10
PayPal Fees: $5.60
Net Balance: $90.50
Below Goal: $209.50
Site Currency: USD
30%