Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you stash under the tools of your SAKs?

00 Offline SgtTowser

What do you stash under the tools of your SAKs?
on: August 15, 2020, 01:22:58 AM
I am a traveler that dreads separation from my luggage and essentials since it has happened many times, despite my best efforts. Even roll aboard luggage can get separated at the last minute. I dislike shoulder bags and fanny packs. I carry my altoid tin, but sometimes I leave it, or put it in my luggage thinking it will rolls aboard with me, but the airline says there is no room and I have to check my bag.

My 91mm Huntsman has become my nano suitcase. Some cavities exist under and beside some of the tools. I began stashing things there. I am wondering, if anyone else does?

The saw layer is perfect to stash a “gum pick” that works much better than the scale mounted tooth pick for after lunch dental hygiene.I carry extra gum picks for replacement in my altoid utility tin in my roll aboard. I find I am often separated from my rollaboard, but never seperated from my SAK. I pop a new gum pick into my SAK each day. Gum picks also work great for light cleaning of pocket lint and cuttings-schmutz from tights spots around the knife and for applying small drops of mineral oil to the slip joints. I am a fanatic about tooth care on the road, because I once got lazy on dental care and found myself with a bad tooth ache. I can handle anything on the road but a bad tooth. Never again.

When I travel, I put two clumps of petroleum jelly under the scissors and press a sewing needle  in to resew buttons under the scissors.I carry a short length of thread in a pocket. Saved me a number of times.

Under another tool, it varies which, I smear a little Renaissance wax into the bottom of the layer under the long and short knife blades. I can scoop it out with the tooth pick, tweezers, or a gum pick, and wax the blades and tools, A bit of wax on the blade edges on deployment can be wiped away with the fingers easily. The wax adds a little extra protection in salt water environments.

So: let me know if anyone else has found things to store inside their SAK. Thanks in advance. 

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: What do you stash under the tools of your SAKs?
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 08:28:03 AM
It hadn't really occurred to me to stash that many additional items in my SAK.  I salute your creativity...
 :salute:

P.S. You must be traveling outside the US.  Here, your SAK would be the first thing from which you would be separated, thanks to TSA.   >:(

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 08:38:46 AM
I often put either a small safety pin or paper clip under the corkscrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 03:28:49 PM
Very interesting.  I have not thought to do similar tho I also do not travel by plane. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 04:47:58 PM
@Nate j: I’m grounded like most others currently. Wife says I’m too old to risk confinement on a plane. But my solution to TSA restrictions on knives when I can fly is to fly to my destination and go to say, the Paris flea market, or ask directions to a few rumble stores, the first or second day, during adjustment from jet lag. The flea market always has a few used SAKs, if you are not too choosy. And on a trip I always find I have time to clean up a used SAK in the evening, or morning. And there are cutlery shops to buy new, if I feel like treating myself to a new one. I enjoy flea markets and thrift stores and so it’s kind of a low key way to adjust to time change. If I’m going somewhere, where I know someone, I mail them my SAK. At the end of the trip, if it’s just a clunker I give it away to someone, or If valuable or sentimental, I pop it in the mail.

@Echotech: Thank you for the paper clip idea. That’s great. I just coincidentally watched a Felix Illmer video a few weeks ago, where he showed how to bend paper clips into a few different shapes (e.g., a fish hook) with the parcel hook, or maybe it was the eye hole for the key ring. I will try the paper clip after breakfast. Thx again.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 05:12:08 PM
I don’t stash anything inside, but I use the straight pin slot, at the base of the corkscrew, to insert a threaded needle.  I then wrap the thread around the base of the corksrew and hold in place using a piece of plastic straw.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 05:52:25 PM
I don’t stash anything inside, but I use the straight pin slot, at the base of the corkscrew, to insert a threaded needle.  I then wrap the thread around the base of the corksrew and hold in place using a piece of plastic straw.
(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great ideas!

I've bit the bullet on being separated from my luggage.  During one week-long trip a few years ago, I didn't bring any SAK or sharps or anything and all I had was my carry-on.  I'd done this numerous times before on short trips, and just went about my day like most non-SAK users.  But on this trip, I found myself reaching for my SAK often enough that I went around town searching for a pair of those little foldable scissors that you get in the cosmetics section of many chain drugstores.  I actually came up empty handed that afternoon after looking in multiple stores, unable to find what I was looking for anywhere.  Since then I have checked in a suitcase with my SAK inside.  I've been "badly separated" from my checked luggage only one time... and oddly enough... it turns out that my luggage arrived at the airport before I did, and was awaiting me in the unclaimed baggage office instead of the carousel.   :think:

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 09:57:43 PM
My 111ers always carry an extra scalpel-blade (in the original metal wrapping) under their scales.
You never know when you need a bit of extra sharp!
Tomcat
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 07:25:25 AM
Sos24,

the needle and thread using pin hole and cork screw is my next! And it liberates one of my under tool cavities for a new object. Thank you!

us Offline DavZell

Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 08:57:09 PM
My 111ers always carry an extra scalpel-blade (in the original metal wrapping) under their scales.
You never know when you need a bit of extra sharp!
Tomcat

I carry one of these on my keychain, with spare blade in my pocket.  Scarey sharp, but not tough.

https://www.nitecorestore.com/ntk05-titanium-utility-knife-p/acc-nite-knife-ntk05.htm
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 09:10:08 PM
Pocket lint

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 10:19:10 PM

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 05:46:43 AM
Shouldn't that be kept on a phone?

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 09:43:38 AM
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 11:17:08 AM
I never was much in favor of stashing things under my SAK's tools, as one always have to remember it is there when opening it so you don't loose it.
I prefer carrying little utility items on my coin pouch, that's always on me.

But since carrying the Tinker line more again, i decided just for fun, to mod a micro SD to carry under the hook, as there is some space there an the tool itself doesn't get much use.

Here i just striped the plastic part of the SD and glued in some heat shrink tubing for wiring:

It works OK-ish as an SD and great as a micro pry bar (Ex. prying small batteries out of tight compartments). But there is still room in there so i'll try another version of it that will allow more grip for SDriving, I'll file down the plastic to a square section to fit in there. It will work out better and the hook will still close flush  ;)

BTW, can any of the guys that mod give any measurements to the exact available space inside the hook?
That would help a bit to speed things up...  :think:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:26:55 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 01:11:46 PM
Saw the thread title. Screamed pocket lint at my screen. Opened thread: was already posted.

:cry:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 01:40:01 PM
Pocket lint...   :facepalm:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 08:34:44 PM
Interesting. Don't these things bother you when using the original SAK tools? Or do you rarely use the tools?

I don't store things under the SAK tools myself, it bothers me if something jams or I always have to be careful that nothing is lost. I like the idea of wrapping a sewing needle with enough thread that you can pinch it under a tool. The Celidor scales can be easily modified. I always drill a hole for a pin. You can also easily mill or grind a groove for the ballpoint pen and a small ruler. You can also stow things in the cavities of the scales. Fish hook, fish thread, MicroSD ... There are many possibilities

Felix Immler once made a video about it:

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 08:54:42 PM

That's a great idea.

I stash a sail maker's needle and a little dental floss in some of my 111mm SAKs. Stash a small magnet in the crook of me hooks.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #19 on: December 04, 2020, 04:29:35 AM
That's a great idea.

I stash a sail maker's needle and a little dental floss in some of my 111mm SAKs. Stash a small magnet in the crook of me hooks.

The magnet is an interesting idea.  I have some really small ones I use to convert flattop batteries to work in certain flashlights that only work with button top. One of those should fit.

sd Offline Andetto

• Am old school, I still believe in respect.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #21 on: December 04, 2020, 12:07:03 PM
I never was much in favor of stashing things under my SAK's tools, as one always have to remember it is there when opening it so you don't loose it.
I prefer carrying little utility items on my coin pouch, that's always on me.

But since carrying the Tinker line more again, i decided just for fun, to mod a micro SD to carry under the hook, as there is some space there an the tool itself doesn't get much use.

Here i just striped the plastic part of the SD and glued in some heat shrink tubing for wiring:

It works OK-ish as an SD and great as a micro pry bar (Ex. prying small batteries out of tight compartments). But there is still room in there so i'll try another version of it that will allow more grip for SDriving, I'll file down the plastic to a square section to fit in there. It will work out better and the hook will still close flush  ;)

BTW, can any of the guys that mod give any measurements to the exact available space inside the hook?
That would help a bit to speed things up...  :think:

Great idea. Look in the mod section. You'll probably find a pic of the hook layer, showing the space and shape available.

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 04, 2020, 12:25:26 PM
Great idea. Look in the mod section. You'll probably find a pic of the hook layer, showing the space and shape available.

I know that, I've seen dozens pf pics, but that doesn't give me exact dimansions of the space available... The pics are not at 1/1 scale.
With the dimensions I would just file iw down to the exact shape without going on the trial and error route...  :dunno:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: December 04, 2020, 12:41:51 PM
I know that, I've seen dozens pf pics, but that doesn't give me exact dimansions of the space available... The pics are not at 1/1 scale.
With the dimensions I would just file iw down to the exact shape without going on the trial and error route...  :dunno:

Well, you can awlways do some math. Xcm in the pic corresponds to Ycm in the SAK. Or change screen resolution, so the pic becomes 1:1 scale.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 04, 2020, 12:56:32 PM
Well, you can awlways do some math. Xcm in the pic corresponds to Ycm in the SAK. Or change screen resolution, so the pic becomes 1:1 scale.

Loolll
It's less bother to file it down and check till the hook sits flush...  :P

Have enough math/calculus at work already...  :twak:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #25 on: December 05, 2020, 05:03:48 AM
All I have is a bevy of rulers, and no micrometers. That said, at its widest, the space between the hook and the backspring on my currently disassembled Huntsman is approximately 3.5 mm, while the narrowest is approximately 1.5 mm.
hook.jpg
* hook.jpg (Filesize: 90.78 KB)

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #26 on: December 05, 2020, 02:04:47 PM
Probably said before: Just pocket lint under my SAK tools.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 05, 2020, 02:15:44 PM
Saw the thread title. Screamed pocket lint at my screen. Opened thread: was already posted.

:cry:

I feel you, Reinier. I also hate when these things happen :cheers:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #28 on: December 05, 2020, 02:49:18 PM
:cheers:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 05, 2020, 03:53:20 PM
All I have is a bevy of rulers, and no micrometers. That said, at its widest, the space between the hook and the backspring on my currently disassembled Huntsman is approximately 3.5 mm, while the narrowest is approximately 1.5 mm.

Thanks a lot for the info and pic mate   :cheers:

That will help a lot filling the SD handle to the right dimensions first time arround  :tu:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 04:00:36 PM by MacGyver »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%