Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Urban vs Rural Carry

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Re: Urban vs Rural Carry
Reply #30 on: February 19, 2021, 04:17:30 PM
I kind of like having the saw when hiking or camping "just in case", but I don't think I've ever actually used it.  Though folding saws are popular today, thinking back to Nessmuk (and his contemporaries and predecessors), I don't believe a saw was part of the gear they typically carried.  I welcome a healthy debate, but I'll submit that, particularly if one carries a hatchet/small axe or a fixed blade "bushcraft" knife (capable of light chopping and splitting duties), that having a saw in the woods just isn't that critical.

Well I actually find myself using my woodsaw at my actual work quite a bit. I cut some brush with it yesterday, that got caught in the workings of my sawmill..... It's true there are other tools that could have done the job, but I didn't have any of them handy...and I didn't want to run the sawmill that close to all that steel---good way to go metal on metal and smurf up a chainsaw chain.  ::)
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: February 19, 2021, 07:10:34 PM
Instead of debating between corkscrew vs phillips, urban vs rural carry for me is mostly about size of the tools, "minimal vs effective" carry and inclusion of woodsaw on the tool set.  For example, I always do favor the Mountaineer in an urban setting, but whenever I go outdoor, OHO Trekker is one my most trusted companion, and I often carry it in combination to my Mountaineer.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 19, 2021, 08:25:01 PM
Corkscrew rulez! Rear Philips suckz! >:D

Offline CDP235

Reply #33 on: February 19, 2021, 09:34:11 PM
Corkscrew rulez! Rear Philips suckz! >:D

I'll second that. :whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: February 19, 2021, 10:46:06 PM
 :like: @ comis
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: February 20, 2021, 12:04:23 AM
My urban carry is minimalist and a small SAK with a few tools in the wallet (Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver or Victorinox quatro, a P-38 can opener and small diamond home)  is all I need. If I go rural, like out in the woods, I add a fixed blade knife on my belt and maybe a Fiskars sliding blade saw in my day pack. Aside from what is already in my pockets, my EDC doesn't change. I may replace the little NAA revolver with a Ruger LCR revolver.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: February 20, 2021, 12:52:03 AM
My urban carry is minimalist and a small SAK with a few tools in the wallet (Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver or Victorinox quatro, a P-38 can opener and small diamond home)  is all I need. If I go rural, like out in the woods, I add a fixed blade knife on my belt and maybe a Fiskars sliding blade saw in my day pack. Aside from what is already in my pockets, my EDC doesn't change. I may replace the little NAA revolver with a Ruger LCR revolver.

Yes, part of it is not so much what sort of setting we'll be in as much as what we plan or imagine we'll be doing there. Working, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, prospecting, patrolling, boating, landscaping, farming, gardening, forestry, trail riding, etc. etc. etc.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: February 20, 2021, 12:59:09 AM
I kind of like having the saw when hiking or camping "just in case", but I don't think I've ever actually used it.  Though folding saws are popular today, thinking back to Nessmuk (and his contemporaries and predecessors), I don't believe a saw was part of the gear they typically carried.  I welcome a healthy debate, but I'll submit that, particularly if one carries a hatchet/small axe or a fixed blade "bushcraft" knife (capable of light chopping and splitting duties), that having a saw in the woods just isn't that critical.

I've found over the last couple of years... that with the right technique, it really is 6 in one and half-dozen in the other.  So I can turn it right on its head... That if one doesn't carry a hatchet or buschcraft knife all of the same functionality is there in the saw.  It makes one feel not-so ill-equipped, and I think having the extra layer with the saw can save space (taken up by a fixed blade and hatchet), especially on a day hike. 

Though it's not in most of the Outdoorsman tradition, a small saw has been included on some models of Camillus and Remmington folding hunters.  It's never gained popularity over the years.  But perhaps Victorinox has offered a better design on the saw and leveled the playing field. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 20, 2021, 01:06:37 AM

Instead of debating between corkscrew vs phillips, urban vs rural carry for me is mostly about size of the tools, "minimal vs effective" carry and inclusion of woodsaw on the tool set.  For example, I always do favor the Mountaineer in an urban setting, but whenever I go outdoor, OHO Trekker is one my most trusted companion, and I often carry it in combination to my Mountaineer.

Adding a tool to make urban carry into rural carry is a good option.  For me, the OH Trekker fills in all the extras perfectly. 

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #39 on: February 20, 2021, 12:05:26 PM
in 2018 and 2019 I went regularly hiking. Several times there was the need for a saw - made some hiking sticks out of crap wood. Spirit and XLT excelled at that task. Used the same tools at home and at the workplace. Especially the locking tools on the spirit, they are a treat! So mostly my urban and rural carry are the same.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: February 20, 2021, 03:25:27 PM
in 2018 and 2019 I went regularly hiking. Several times there was the need for a saw - made some hiking sticks out of crap wood. Spirit and XLT excelled at that task. Used the same tools at home and at the workplace. Especially the locking tools on the spirit, they are a treat! So mostly my urban and rural carry are the same.

You raise a good point.  Pliers-based MTs seem to lend themselves to more of a one-size-fits-all.  For SAKs, where this-but-not-that becomes front-and-center in the choice of which one to carry, the decision is harder. 

I haven't found a legitimate need for pliers in rural areas though.... That's stopped me from carrying a MT years ago.  Otherwise, a Spirit might be a good choice all-around.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: February 20, 2021, 09:47:15 PM
I haven't found a legitimate need for pliers in rural areas though.... T

Oh dude.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Ever heard of barb wire? Faulty tractor ignitions? splitshot fishing weights? Fuel line clamps on (I don't know) tractors/sawmills/outboards/ATV's/Lawn mowers/wood splitters/stump grinders/etc.? Something to grab the other side of the bolt while you're putting a nut on with your adjustable wrench? T-post clips?

Sorry. Not trying to be obnoxious, I just thought the applications for pliers in a rural setting would be self-evident.  If the pliers also have wire cutters, so much the better.

I mean, if all you do is hike, you may not need pliers. But being in a rural setting is so much more than hiking.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: February 20, 2021, 10:01:28 PM

Ever heard of barb wire? Faulty tractor ignitions? splitshot fishing weights? Fuel line clamps on (I don't know) tractors/sawmills/outboards/ATV's/Lawn mowers/wood splitters/stump grinders/etc.? Something to grab the other side of the bolt while you're putting a nut on with your adjustable wrench? T-post clips?

Sorry. Not trying to be obnoxious, I just thought the applications for pliers in a rural setting would be self-evident.  If the pliers also have wire cutters, so much the better.

I mean, if all you do is hike, you may not need pliers. But being in a rural setting is so much more than hiking.

Hah - yeah...thats the issue... more than rural, I'm in the woods - camping and hiking in the midst of noplace with no technology to repair.  And even when I am in a somewhat rural area, I'm just visiting and haven't got any work to do. 

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: February 20, 2021, 11:51:13 PM
Hah - yeah...thats the issue... more than rural, I'm in the woods - camping and hiking in the midst of noplace with no technology to repair.  And even when I am in a somewhat rural area, I'm just visiting and haven't got any work to do.

:D 10-4, I getcha. Kinda like when I'm in the city.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: February 21, 2021, 12:28:24 AM
I forget the season of Alone when the woman couldn't get a fish hook out of her hand.  Pliers may not seem like the right choice in the woods when not much turning will be done.  I always carry pliers in hiking and camping.  While fishing is not something I do I am not worried about taking a hook out of my hand my line of thinking is I have them which is not a bad thing,  My MT has an assortment of other tools that are great so the pliers is an added feature with no down side for me. 

I have a work carry and off day carry.  They are pretty different.  As for rural I took that to mean away from my vehicle and away from resources.  Camping or hiking would be my rural. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: February 21, 2021, 12:58:13 AM
And this is why there are so many different models of SAK's.  8)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: February 21, 2021, 04:58:24 AM
You raise a good point.  Pliers-based MTs seem to lend themselves to more of a one-size-fits-all.  For SAKs, where this-but-not-that becomes front-and-center in the choice of which one to carry, the decision is harder. 

I haven't found a legitimate need for pliers in rural areas though.... That's stopped me from carrying a MT years ago.  Otherwise, a Spirit might be a good choice all-around.

I think one of the barriers to carrying a full-size MT in the woods, besides limited utility, is weight.  A full-size or heavy duty MT weighs about the same as a medium to large bushcraft/survival type knife.  For the weight, I would rather have the latter in the woods.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: February 21, 2021, 02:09:52 PM
I think one of the barriers to carrying a full-size MT in the woods, besides limited utility, is weight.  A full-size or heavy duty MT weighs about the same as a medium to large bushcraft/survival type knife.  For the weight, I would rather have the latter in the woods.

If I had a big bushcraft knife (maybe one day), I wouldn't let weight stop me from carrying both.....

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: February 21, 2021, 02:19:15 PM
If I had a big bushcraft knife (maybe one day), I wouldn't let weight stop me from carrying both.....

One day someone will invent tactical bushcraft pliers. "Forget the saw. It's strong enough to remove that tree from the earth."

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: February 21, 2021, 02:20:43 PM
One day someone will invent tactical bushcraft pliers. "Forget the saw. It's strong enough to remove that tree from the earth."

They did. It's called an excavator.

But in all seriosity, I like the sound of tactical bushcraft pliers. It has a "sound" to it.  :D

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #50 on: February 21, 2021, 02:38:13 PM

If you cook while hiking/backpacking, pliers are a great tool to have.

Not directed at Jim, but I don't understand the back tool screwdriver hate (or is it just the burning desire to get that wine bottle uncorked  :drink: ).  I use the Tinker version all the time, and if it won't work, I get a real screwdriver or a bit for a ratchet, not my SwissChamp.  :think:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #51 on: February 21, 2021, 02:42:24 PM

I like to carry pliers when I go hiking. They come in handy fixing or adjusting micro spikes or snow shoes every once in a while  :cheers:

And in summer i use them mostly to remove thorny things from dogs paws  ::)

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: February 21, 2021, 07:37:10 PM
If you cook while hiking/backpacking, pliers are a great tool to have.

Not directed at Jim, but I don't understand the back tool screwdriver hate (or is it just the burning desire to get that wine bottle uncorked  :drink: ).  I use the Tinker version all the time, and if it won't work, I get a real screwdriver or a bit for a ratchet, not my SwissChamp.  :think:

Yeah, I agree, I'm a big fan of having any phillips driver along--I don't care what form it's in, but I don't need the corky since I don't drink encorkorated beverages. As far as using it for a marlin spike, the phillips usually does that trick too.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: February 21, 2021, 08:04:55 PM
Yeah, I agree, I'm a big fan of having any phillips driver along--I don't care what form it's in, but I don't need the corky since I don't drink encorkorated beverages. As far as using it for a marlin spike, the phillips usually does that trick too.

encorkcrated   :rofl:  :cheers:

I like to carry pliers when I go hiking. They come in handy fixing or adjusting micro spikes or snow shoes every once in a while  :cheers:

And in summer i use them mostly to remove thorny things from dogs paws  ::)

I used to use them for cooking at camp... mainly as a hot pot holder.  These days I use work gloves instead. 

my first aid kit has forceps, so that's less of a need.

But the more I think about it.   :ahhh

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: February 21, 2021, 11:56:11 PM
They did. It's called an excavator.

But in all seriosity, I like the sound of tactical bushcraft pliers. It has a "sound" to it.  :D

Aw crap.  :facepalm:

But I like that sound, too. Like the snap of the pliers on a Swiss Champ.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #55 on: February 22, 2021, 12:43:16 AM
Black paint and a 53% markup. Done.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: February 22, 2021, 06:28:04 AM
Black paint and a 53% markup. Done.

:sa:  :dwts: :shrug: :poh: :bnghd: :doh: :pommel: :viking: >:( :o :( ::) :P :-[ :-\ :cry: >:D :ahhh :think: :rant: :dunno: :whistle:

Too true.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: February 22, 2021, 06:29:14 AM
Aw crap.  :facepalm:

But I like that sound, too. Like the snap of the pliers on a Swiss Champ.

That is quite a delicious snap.
The pliers are my favorite part of a SwissChamp.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #58 on: February 22, 2021, 10:14:30 AM
I work outdoors. For some time I enjoyed carrying my nail nick Trailmaster as I liked the long, locking blade and the long saw. Eventually though I got fed up with its weight and bulk and the small annoyance of unlocking the blade to close it. I returned to carrying an alox Soldier as my primary knife and bought an Opinel folding saw for the times I was likely to use it.

I like to carry a Camper if I’m going on a rural excursion.

In town I find a Tourist or Recruit quite sufficient in the pocket.
Rambler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD