Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Camilus Info

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Old Camilus Info
on: July 12, 2022, 12:04:07 AM
My friend gave me his old Camilus pocket knife, and I was wondered if anyone could give me any info about it. Based on the tang stamp, I think it's from sometime in the 60s or 70s. Scales feel like plastic/resin, and I think the liners are brass. Two tools, both open the same direction. One blade (approx 3" long, handle length about 3.5") and one combo screwdriver-thingy? For reasons unbeknownst to me, the nail nick on the second tool is located about a third of the way up (no leverage+old tool=hard to open) ends in a flathead screwdriver, and has a liner lock and two notches. One is about mid way on the top (dull) and one near the base (sharpish.) Length of the tool doesn't appear to have ever been sharpened, but hard to tell. So screwdriver and wirestripper, maybe?

Did a little poking around on google, and I think it's a TL-29 electricians knife. Any further info would be appreciated. Attaching pics of the tang stamp and mystery tool, happy to provide more if anyone needs them.

* driver.jpg (Filesize: 228.62 KB)

* tang.jpg (Filesize: 256.84 KB)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 12:12:28 AM by BPRoberts »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Old Camilus ID?
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 12:12:27 AM
Nice Cammie.  That would be what most call an Electricians knife.  Its known as a TL 29
https://www.milsurpia.com/articles/collecting/tl-29-knife-collectors-notes
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Re: Old Camilus ID?
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 12:26:36 AM
Nice Cammie.  That would be what most call an Electricians knife.  Its known as a TL 29
https://www.milsurpia.com/articles/collecting/tl-29-knife-collectors-notes

I found that page and edited the post a second before you posted it, thanks!

Any weird quirks, stories, or anything I should know about it, or is it just a good ol' tank of a multitool?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Old Camilus Info
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 12:59:13 AM
Its a tank thats for sure.  I have a couple and while I haven't really cared them all that often we do have a few members who do.  Take a peek at
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,68477.35640.html

Adam5 carries his TL29 often.  One of mine is a nail breaker as well.  That flat driver is a beast but I believe its meant to be that way. 

Enjoy and I hope to see you over at the other thread if you decide to carry yours.  If not the fellas are more than knowledgeable and helpful so pop over and post your TL29. 

Congrats.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 03:25:01 AM
It'll probably be going back to my buddy tomorrow, I just took it off his hands for a cleaning/sharpening. Maybe I'll borrow it (or get one, I do love how this thing feels in hand) to carry for a bit when I'm done with the Spartan challenge. Thanks for the link.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 04:41:49 AM
You are welcome.  Its a wonderful pattern.  Its one that many people find very useful.  Its a tank as you say and with so many having beenmade by a variety of makers you can hopefully find one locally. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD