Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Leatherman Kits

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
New Leatherman Kits
on: September 01, 2020, 11:01:27 PM
An interesting concept. LM has partnered with TONQUIN TRADING to develop a Signal Survival  Kit, Raptor Trauma Kit, and a Wave + Repair Kit.

https://www.leatherman.com/tonquin-preparedness-kits

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: New Leatherman Kits
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 11:26:32 PM
Nothing on the Canadian side.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 11:42:06 PM
Not a bad idea. Except it looks like the Trauma kit is designed for severe trauma and won't appeal to  people looking for a first aid kit...  Cool concept though.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 12:34:20 AM
Very cool 8) :like:

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 12:42:05 AM
Not a bad idea. Except it looks like the Trauma kit is designed for severe trauma and won't appeal to  people looking for a first aid kit...  Cool concept though.

That was my thought. I think a general first aid kit would be more appealing for most people. Then again, I basically have these 3 kits that I made myself. On another note, I have never heard of this stuff that is included in the repair kit. Anyone have any experience with it? I’m guessing it’s some sort of JB Weld type of tape? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Forj-Compact-Lightweight-Thermoplastic-Repair-Tape-Ribbon-Strong-As-Steel/324019970431?hash=item4b7118617f:g:KlAAAOSw1hZeVDx0

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 01:07:24 AM
The Trauma kit has a chest seal for a sucking chest wound, such as from a gunshot.  :think:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 01:50:28 AM
I have to admit, I guess as someone who enjoys building my own task-specific kits, I don't see the appeal in these. Aside from the Leatherman tools, the rest of it looks pretty easy and inexpensive to throw together yourself. And,, I like use of Maxpedition and Condor pouches; that have all sorts of elastic for organizing the stuff.

And, a Raptor in the Trauma kit? What's wrong with cheap ADC Medicut scissors? They are pretty capable cutters, and if contaminated, toss them.  I can assemble that trauma kit otherwise for a LOT less.  And, the other kits, assemble with my own stuff, used eBay tools, and save tons there as well.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 01:52:23 AM
 :iagree:

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 03:22:49 AM
An interesting concept. LM has partnered with TONQUIN TRADING to develop a Signal Survival  Kit, Raptor Trauma Kit, and a Wave + Repair Kit.

https://www.leatherman.com/tonquin-preparedness-kits

Awful...you can do far far better in each category for less.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 03:52:11 AM
In general, I'm a proponent of prefabricated kits for people who aren't experienced enough to make their own. 

The Trauma kit would be a decent, albeit expensive addition to an IFAK... However the catch in this case is that somone who is trained to use the contents of this advanced kit also knows how to make their own kit. 

The other kits are decent starting points for what they're meant for.  I would rather the average person get one of these kits rather than have no kit at all.  Seeing as how the average person will "refuse to live in fear" and will order takeout from miles away rather than get a home survival kit and canned food... I'm not optimistic that most people will ever learn to be responsible and self reliant.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 06:36:43 AM
I feel like Ive seen these kits before, except not LM tools.

Great concept, but the cheap crap they throw in almost make it useless. Better than nothing, but you can build your own for the same price with better quality.

Just my opinion.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 08:19:20 AM
They should focus on the issues people have pointed out for the past few years instead of slapping their name on just about anything that may appeal to the masses.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 08:27:07 AM
They should focus on the issues people have pointed out for the past few years instead of slapping their name on just about anything that may appeal to the masses.
I wonder if it does... does kits are not cheap. People who are willing to spend that kind of money, on preparedness stuff, probably already have better gear.
And at first glance, it looks well overpriced. I mean Wave + duct tape == $175? Seriously?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 08:28:51 AM
I wonder if it does... does kits are not cheap. People who are willing to spend that kind of money, on preparedness stuff, probably already have better gear.
And at first glance, it looks well overpriced. I mean Wave + duct tape == $175? Seriously?
If you read the comments on their Instagram post about this, everyone is over the moon. Hundreds of positive comments already with only one negative :whistle:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 10:14:52 AM
If you read the comments on their Instagram post about this, everyone is over the moon. Hundreds of positive comments already with only one negative :whistle:
They probably all hope for a free review sample.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 10:26:14 AM
They probably all hope for a free review sample.
Well I'm a gearjunk, but not a gearprostitute :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 10:44:12 AM
Their sets are weird

Wave+ with Bit set == $172.45
Wave + $99.95
Bit Set $24.00
Extender $18.00
Sheath for Wave+ and Bitkit $15.00
Clip/Lanyard $5.00 (this used to be included by default, not sure if this is still true)
Replacement Wire-Cutters $10.50
Sums up to $172.45, so buying the set is a ZERO discount..

Or am I the idiot that is missing something :think:

Anyway, with the new sets, there is no way that those few bits + pouch are worth $75

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 12:34:25 PM
In general, I'm a proponent of prefabricated kits for people who aren't experienced enough to make their own. 

The Trauma kit would be a decent, albeit expensive addition to an IFAK... However the catch in this case is that somone who is trained to use the contents of this advanced kit also knows how to make their own kit. 

The other kits are decent starting points for what they're meant for.  I would rather the average person get one of these kits rather than have no kit at all.  Seeing as how the average person will "refuse to live in fear" and will order takeout from miles away rather than get a home survival kit and canned food... I'm not optimistic that most people will ever learn to be responsible and self reliant.
:like: :iagree: :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #18 on: September 02, 2020, 01:41:06 PM
The level 2 FAK I carry in my car and when I go shooting cost a lot less than this and is way more comprehensive

Pill Bottle, with ibuprofen, loperamide hcl and generic antihistamine
16 Bandage Strips 1in x 3in
10 Pain Relievers (Asprin)
2 Bandage Gauzes, 2in x 4.5 yds.
2 Triple Antibiotic Packages
Elastic Bandage, 6in
2 First Aid Cream Packages
Triangular Bandage, 40in x 40in x 56in
Burn Aid Package
Field Dressing
2 Tape, Rolls, Adhesive
4 Sterile Sponges, 4in x 4in
SAM / Universial Splint
4 Abdominal Packs, 5in x 9in
Eye Pad
EMT Shears, 7.25in
16 Alcohol Wipes
Pair of Tweezers
15 Lodine Wipes
Stainless Steel Hemostat, 5in
15 Antiseptic BZK Wipes
4 Suture Sets
15 Clean Wipes
Lip Treatment
2 Tounge Depressors
Sterile Flushing Solution
Airway
Hand Soap
2 Instant Ice Packs
6 Safety Pins
4 Pairs of Latex Examination Gloves
CAT Torniquet
2 Israeli Dressings
2 Quick Clot Bandages
1 small roll Duct Tape
2 14" x 14" polythene squares
1 Sterile suture kit
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 05:28:49 PM
Their sets are weird

Wave + $99.95
Bit Set $24.00
Extender $18.00
Clip/Lanyard $5.00 (this used to be included by default, not sure if this is still true)

Anyway, with the new sets, there is no way that those few bits + pouch are worth $75

And the handful of ties and tapes and pins and matches .... And the case...  The whole thing is probably $200.  Still not much discount though.

I wouldn't expect any discount, TBF. I'd expect nothing more than a "one stop shopping" with these kits.

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 08:37:04 PM
Expensive as always with Leatherman.
A first aid kit should be available.
You can put together a nice trauma kit for less than that!
I mean I love my Raptors and I have one on each trauma kit and first aid kit at home but too price to buy together.

https://medicalgearoutfitters.com/collections/small-kits/products/fatpack-4x6-wolf-gray-small-first-aid-kit
Enjoy!

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 09:41:12 PM

I'm sorry, but I disgress; if you're not experienced to build a kit, you're probably not trained for it. NO ONE without ALS should be handling a trauma kit while attending a victim in need, as it can affect both: the victim's health and physical integrity, and your financial integrity (law suits, remember?) And, as many have pointed out, it can be assembled "better" (both in quality and budget). That last sentence says it all.

OT- Have anyone else seen the Red Cross Raptors promo? A special edition Raptor with red handles and laser printed crosses on one of the blades; and at a more affordable price with a 100% retail price donation to the American Red Cross. I'm thinking about gettin' one!

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #22 on: September 02, 2020, 10:37:41 PM
Their sets are weird

Wave + $99.95
Bit Set $24.00
Extender $18.00

Not an idiot. I did the math on the different sets. No price savings anywhere to be found.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%