Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wild Man Giveaway!

Nix · 359 · 13316

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Wild Man Giveaway!
on: August 23, 2020, 08:00:06 PM

Welcome to the Wild Man GAW!

It’s been a while since I’ve done a GAW. Time to fix that!  :ahhh

I was inspired today to give away a Bark River Knives Bushcrafter. Maybe it is the anticipation of Fall and better camping weather. Maybe it’s just being a bit too cooped up for a bit too long. Maybe it is the reality that the grass needs to be cut, yet again….  :facepalm:

Regardless, I’m ready to get out and get a little Wild.  :D

So, we’re giving away a knife that was made to get out there and get some woods-work done!

Bark River often copies the patterns of other designers, but I think the Bushcrafter is a composite of various different ‘bushcrafting’ ideas:

1. 3.8” blade of CPM 3V
2. Scandi grind (convexed Scandi grind, as per Bark River’s usual preference)
3. Near-center point for drilling
4. Some belly for game processing
5. Thick spine for battonning
6. Squared up spine for sparking a ferro rod.

Some observations:

This Bushcrafter is really well made. Bark River is a semi-custom company and it is clear this knife is hand finished: there are small, telltale asymmetries here and there. However, fit, finish, and construction are exceptional. This one has been used and has been carried, as you can see.

All Bark River knives are made tough, but I think this knife is near indestructible. Thick 3V stock, micarta scales, and stout pins in a full tang. I think you could hammer this thing into a tree and do pull-ups hanging off it all day long. It would look new when you pried it out.

To be critical, it is a bit heavy. I’m not sure of the weight, but it has not been designed with the ultralight hiker in mind. For me, I think the edge geometry is a bit obtuse. It slices paper really nicely and carves wood well. I’ve never dressed out any game with it, so I’m not sure how it does there. I’ve found that my ‘Scandi’ grinds tend to get convexed over time since I freehand sharpen, so the BRK ‘scandivex’ edge is not a concern for me; however, you do need to be able to sharpen a convex edge in order to keep this knife hair-shaving sharp.

Otherwise, this thing is a beast of a wilderness knife.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Wild Man Giveaway!
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 08:02:31 PM

So… how do you win the GAW?  :think:

There are rules….and they are a bit complicated….so read and heed them well…the Wilderness can be unforgiving to those who don’t pay attention…same with the Wild Man GAW!!!   :2tu:

The Rules:

1. The GAW will run from now until 30 Sep 2020. Entries can be made up until midnight 30 Sep 2020, Nix time.

2. There are three categories of entry. Everyone is able to make one entry in each of the three categories. Here are the categories:

a. Wild Man: Make post of your favorite wild man, wild woman, explorer, adventurer, or survivalist. Your post must contain the name of a real person from history or who is actively ‘wild' today. Your post must contain a reason why he or she is your favorite and a little story about that “Wild Man”.  A picture or drawing or painting or sketch of said person would be nice, but isn’t mandatory.

b. Wilderness knife: post a picture of your current woods or adventure knife or tool. Please explain why said knife/tool/axe is your current choice of ‘wilderness’ knife. If all you have is a SAK Classic…well…that is your wilderness knife and the reason it is your favorite is because that’s the only knife you have/carry for adventure.

c. Adventure photo: Post a photo from a trip or adventure YOU made. It doesn’t have to be a photo of the Australian Outback or Alaskan backcountry. If you had an adventure in a local park or a picnic on Boston common, that counts. It just has to be photo of a place outside where you went. Your post should tells us where that place is (if it’s your secret favorite fishing spot, you don’t need to be too specific, but hints are appreciated).

3. Read rule #2 again: Up to three (3) entries, only one (1) entry for each category. You can only enter one Wild man, one Wilderness knife, and one outside photo. Can you enter two wilderness knife shots instead of one knife and one adventure photo? No! Go back and read rule #2 again.

4. Entries do NOT need to be made at the same time. Take your time. Go on a little adventure outside. Think about your Wild Man choice. There is no rush, but the contest does close at midnight, Nix time, 30 September 2020. You only need one (1) entry to qualify for the GAW....but three (3) increases your odds.

5. Nix is the sole arbiter of what constitutes a legitimate entry. If a bit more detail is needed, the participant may be asked to submit an amended post. If you choose ‘Jeremiah Johnson’ for your Wild Man entry, it will be invalidated, but you can still come up with a legitimate entry, if you do so before the close of the GAW.

6. Once the GAW is closed (midnight 30 Sep 2020), all successfully entries will be compiled into a randomized list. The winner will be chosen by random selection from the list of successful entries.

7. The Prize (BRK Bushcrafter) will be shipped to the winner as shown. This is a used knife in a stock used sheath. The fire steel fits nicely and will be included. 

OK….enough rules….if more rules are needed, I’ll make ‘em up as needed.   :think:

The point of the GAW is to generate a bit of discussion about the great outdoors and the tools we love.   :tu:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 10:40:51 PM by Nix »

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 08:04:20 PM
Very generous of you Nix :hatsoff:
Great looking knife :drool:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 08:12:36 PM
Hoping you'll participate!   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 08:21:42 PM
Here is a sample "Wild Man" entry:

One of my favorite adventurers is..... Krystyna Chojnowska-Liskiewicz

Not only does she remind me of my grandmother a bit, but she was the first woman to sail solo around the world. It doesn't get more adventurous than that! I don't know what kind of knife she carried, but I'm sure it would have had a marlin spike!  :tu:

I think it is the steely look in her eyes that reminds me of my grandmother.......:rofl: ...but my gran was also quite at home on the water herself.

From Wiki:

She set sail from the Canary Islands on 28 February 1976, crossing the Atlantic Ocean to Barbados. She then sailed through the Caribbean Sea to the Panama Canal, and hence to the Pacific Ocean.

After crossing the Pacific, Chojnowska-Liskiewicz sailed via Tahiti and Fiji to Australia, and then west across the Indian Ocean via Mauritius. After passing the Cape of Good Hope, she sailed north, and crossed her outbound track on 20 March 1978 at latitude 16° 08.5' north and longitude 35° 50' west.

Chojnowska-Liskiewicz completed her voyage when she entered the port of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria on 21 April 1978, having sailed 31,166 nautical miles (57,719 km) in 401 days. On 18 June 1978, she returned to Poland, where she is still seen as something of a national hero.

Krystyna is now in her 80's and lives in Poland.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 08:37:01 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 08:24:37 PM
Here is a sample Adventure photo entry:

Mrs Nix and I went for a great hike around a small lake (reservoir) out in the Helena valley, here in Montana. We started in the morning, accompanied by adventure boy, before it got hot. You can see it's dry, but Fall weather and snows can't be far off!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 08:25:14 PM
My head's so SORE after reading all that.

Excellent GAW though Nixy!  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 08:33:19 PM
Here is a sample Wilderness Knife entry:

Here's a shot of a Spyderco Fred Perrin Bowie:

I love this knife! It's not a chopper and I would not baton anything thick with it, but it makes for an outstanding trail knife: light weight, secure grip, slim design. It is a good slicer, cutter, and carver. It was designed as a self-defense knife, but I think its real value is as a day-hike companion or camping knife. I might pick something a bit sturdier for a trip to Alaska, but for everyday adventures, it can't be beat.

I pulled the clip off it and either tie it to my belt or pack. Obviously, if your knife is tied to your pack and you lose your pack...you've lost your knife, so this strategy has some drawbacks. Still, I find it is an easy way to carry a really capable knife when wearing a pack (and I'll have a SAK in me pocket.).  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 08:35:53 PM
My head's so SORE after reading all that.

1. It's good for you to practice reading every once in a while.
2. I'm not giving away Jaffa cakes here.....this ain't one of your toss a stick into a field GAWs.... :twak:

se Offline RF52

Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 08:46:47 PM
Ok, I'll participate :tu:

My favourite Wild man must be:

Roald Amundsen

"was a Norwegian explorer of polar regions and a key figure of the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration. He led the first expedition to traverse the Northwest Passage by sea, from 1903 to 1906, and the first expedition to the South Pole in 1911. He led the first expedition proven to have reached the North Pole in a dirigible in 1926.[4][5] He disappeared while taking part in a rescue mission for the airship Italia in 1928."
Shamelessly copied from wikipedia :rofl:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 08:52:19 PM
Woohoo, fair play to Nix on a GAW that's generous, educational and fun! :hatsoff:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

se Offline RF52

Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 08:53:29 PM
Adventure entry:

This picture is from Rjukan, Norway when me, my wife and the wild one went for a roadtrip in Norway. It's the only time I've gotten the wife to tent camp with me :rofl:
The whole trip was very nice and I really enjoyed the view at this spot.
We did quite a few little adventures on this trip, but per the rules you only get one adventure :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 08:54:32 PM
Cheers, Pabs,  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 08:55:36 PM
Wild Man GAW participants:

1. RF52 -- Wild Man
2. RF52 -- Adventure photo

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 08:57:18 PM
Great entries, RF!  :tu:

(No saying you can't post more awesome photos....you just don't get extra entries.... :D)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2020, 08:59:18 PM
I forgot that Roald disappeared during a Search and Rescue effort!

What an amazing adventurer!  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 09:13:35 PM
Interesting, nice knife!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

se Offline RF52

Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 09:21:49 PM
I forgot that Roald disappeared during a Search and Rescue effort!

What an amazing adventurer!  :tu:
He was an explorer and adventurer till his last breath :hatsoff:
And very impressive to do most of in arctic climate :salute:

se Offline RF52

Reply #18 on: August 23, 2020, 09:30:01 PM
I might add some small adventures later in the GAW :tu:

Here is my Wild man knife entry:

Helle Godbit has a scandi grind as all Helle knives do, it makes fine feathersticks, can do light batoning, being a stick tang it's great for cold weather use, it's a good size, not to small or big. It has Helle's great triple laminated stainless steel.
Just a great knife in a handsome package

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: August 23, 2020, 10:37:55 PM
Helle makes a great knife.

My grandmother, the one Krystyna reminds me of, gave me my first Helle....a Laplander Leuku! (She forgot to make me an extra present of band-aids.... :whistle:)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: August 23, 2020, 10:39:00 PM

1. RF52 -- Wild Man
3. RF52 -- Wilderness knife post

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 10:44:40 PM
This looks to be quite an exciting thread.  :tu:

se Offline RF52

Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 10:51:17 PM
Helle makes a great knife.

My grandmother, the one Krystyna reminds me of, gave me my first Helle....a Laplander Leuku! (She forgot to make me an extra present of band-aids.... :whistle:)
Pics Nix! :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 11:55:19 PM

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #24 on: August 24, 2020, 01:03:19 AM
I love the whole concept here Nix. It's going to take me some time to figure out my entries but I'll post them when I have them. :cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #25 on: August 24, 2020, 01:06:57 AM
Best of luck everyone.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: August 24, 2020, 01:53:34 AM
Thanks, Chako!  :tu:

Looking forward to your entries, Alan!   :ahhh

us Offline Sos24

Wild Man Giveaway!
Reply #27 on: August 24, 2020, 03:05:53 AM
Sos24 Adventure Photo:
Summer of 2001 as part of a change of duty station, I drove from Newport, RI to Bremerton, WA.  For a break from driving and overnight rest I stopped at the Theodore Roosevelt National Park.  The scenic drive alone was really nice, but then I took an evening guided horseback ride through the mountains which was really nice.  This picture was taken from on top of one of the hills on the horseback ride.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: August 24, 2020, 03:08:50 AM
 :like:

I've been to Theodore Roosevelt National Park a few times, North and South sections. I really like it there, special places.

I once hiked up and over a blind ridge in the North section and came face to face with a huge bison. He stared at me hard. I got real small and crept back down behind some rocks. That got my heart rate up for a bit.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: August 24, 2020, 03:09:42 AM

1. RF52 -- Wild Man
3. RF52 -- Wilderness knife post
4. Sos24 — Adventure Photo

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!