Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherworkers -- help me get started!

Offline porteiro

Leatherworkers -- help me get started!
on: May 24, 2010, 05:47:58 PM
Ever since I was a kid, I've been interested in leatherworking and wanted to be able to make my own leather pouches and sheaths. 

Well, I feel like finally actually doing something about it.  Could y'all point me toward some resources to learn how to do this?  I'm especially interested in making formed sheaths like this one.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Leatherworkers -- help me get started!
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 06:42:05 PM
The best way to get into it is to buy a simple starter kit that can be found at the link below.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Beginning-Leather-Kits/Beginning-Leather-Kits.aspx

You must be aware though that the deeper you get into this, the more tools you will need, and the more expensive this can get. If you are not careful, you can easily have thousands of dollars in tools.

While you are at it, this is probably one of the better how to books on making leather sheaths I know.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Books-Patterns/61941-01.aspx?feature=Product_4

You could even start out on buying a leather sheath kit. Tandy sells several styles. Be sure to buy the starter kit to get a basic set of tools and that all important beginner book of leather crafting.

You would need some general tools such as:

-Leather shears or knife.
-Swivel knife, stamps, and mallet (if you want to get into decorations).
-leather dye and finish.
-Leather sewing needles, an Awl, and waxed thread for hand stitching.
-Stitching wheel, and beveller/edger tools along with a leather slicker to finish your ends.

That is just a small sampling of the tools you may find you need if you get into this. Not trying to discourage you...it is just best to start off slow and work your skills up and your tool lists when you come across something you want to do but don't currently have the capability. You may notice the starter tool pack at Tandy for 1000 dollars...well...that is actually a good deal. Leatherworking is expensive all around. Very enjoyable pastime though.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline porteiro

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:47:31 PM
I guess at this point, I see two big gaps in my skill set to make this happen:

1. How to form leather to the shape that I want it, instead of being limited to pancake-style sheaths.
2. How to stitch leather.  I've heart that you can chuck a heavy-duty needle into a drill press in order to to simple stitching.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:23:27 PM
It isn't all that hard actually.

You do need to read a few books first. I would get a cheap starter kit, read and do the simple leather project contained therein. Buy that other book I told you about, and read that. You will find it all explained in there. From there, make a short list of must have tools and get those. Buy a cow hide or smaller piece, and get to it. Your first won't be all that great...but soon, you will develop some skills and make some very fine leather products.

As for sewing, you will need a piece of soft wood, a very sharp awl to punch holes through your leather piece, some fine waxed thread.  You can use a stitching groover to bury the stitching partway into the piece.  Likewise, you can also get a stitching wheel. Wet your leather piece, run the groover around your sheath, run a stitching wheel inside that groove. The wheel will mark your leather nicely. Use the Awl to punch holes using the wood as a backdrop. Do a simple saddle stitch with two blunt leather needles. That is about it.

Carving and tooling leather is a whole different ball of wax. I think I may have a series of photos that will explain it…give me some time and I can tell you what is involved in that.

Offline porteiro

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 07:35:18 PM
When I was a cub scout, I actually did a fair amount of carving and tooling leather.  If I get into sheathmaking, I'll probably want to do that at some point, but for right now, I really just want to make something that works.

(I've got quite a few knives and MTs that I either don't have sheaths for or whose sheaths dont' work well.)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 07:48:23 PM
Well that didn’t take all that long. Had to go to the little used upstairs computer and find the folder, and upload those photos back onto Photobucket.

I hear you. The carving and decorating is the fun part for me. Here is that info anyways. Maybe someone will like it and get inspired to take up a wonderful hobby.  :salute:

Here is a piece I did a few years ago for a friend. His father loved his cottage that he built and my friend wanted to gift him with something special in leather. This was the result.

1.   He gave me a little photograph of his father’s cottage. I was always good at art, and was able to upscale it by simply drawing onto the piece of leather. Now the first step is to wet the leather with water. This is called casing the leather. Wet leather will take any marks, including finger prints, so you have to be careful on how you handle it. To draw the cottage on, I used a simple metal stylus made for this purpose.

2.   The next step, once the drawing is done, is to carve the leather. You use a swivel knife. It is a basic leatherworker’s knife that has a finger saddle and a barrel that you can rotate between your fingers for those curved cuts.  The trick with using this knife, is that you always pull towards you (gives you the most control), and to only cut about half way deep into the leather.

Here you see the first cuts tracing the lines that I drew into the wet leather.

3.   Once you have cut all your lines, you can now start the tooling aspect. Leather workers tool leather using leather stamps and mallets. There are many different shapes and techniques to using them that I won’t go into details. What you need to know is that while the leather is damp, you hammer these metal designs into your leather to achieve different results. The beveller is probably your most used stamp. It is used to give you that 3D look by pushing the background away from the foreground or object you want to pop out. Any beginner book will tell you how to do this…and plenty of practice.

Here you can see that I have started to tool the leather on the left hand side using different stamps.

Here you can see that I have continued to work those stamps. I now have the sky done using a background stamp. I myself like to work with the distant parts and work my way up to the foreground.

Here, you can see that I have done a little of the foreground details.

4.   Once you are happy with your tooling results, then the next step is to finish it. Leather always looks better when dyed and properly finished. It brings out your tooling marks, and also the character of the hide.  There are many types of dyes out there and acrylic leather finishes.  For this one, I used a wipe off dye. Use a wool dauber to cover your piece in dye in even circular stokes…then wipe off the excess after a given time. I like this dye simply because the longer you leave it on, the darker your work will get. If you use a wet sponge to wipe the dye off quickly, you can get a nice wash effect. The last step is to use another wool dauber and cover the whole piece in a clear acrylic finisher and buff with a dry soft cloth to a shine.

Here, you can see the finished piece.

Well that concludes this little peek into tooling and decorating leather.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:01:53 PM
Here are a few more resource links.

With some English thrown in...but it gives a good depiction of how to do what you are wanting to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4rGBlMrUyQ

A few different style sheath tutorials.
http://www.knivesby.com/dan-sheath-tutor-1.html

http://beknivessite2.homestead.com/pouchsheath.html

http://www.ragweedforge.com/sheath.html
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:04:23 PM by Chako »

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 10:12:05 PM
Im impressed Chako  :tu: Have you got any other pictures of your work?
I

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 11:07:12 PM
yeah the is great

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 12:31:03 AM
Not many unfortunately. For some reason, I never thought to take photographs of my finished work...which was mostly gifts to friends and family.

I did take a few though, here and there.  Nothing special.

Coin purse 1.
Front:

Back:

Coin purse 2.
Front:

Back:

A simple and easy to make geometry belt.

A Ranger belt with traditional oak leaf tooling.

A small purse.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:57:56 AM
I love that elk :tu:

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85