Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GEC knives; good for the money

dks · 40 · 7086

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: GEC knives; good for the money
Reply #30 on: August 26, 2020, 08:35:40 PM
:bump:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #31 on: August 26, 2020, 08:40:51 PM
innocent times, when I only had 2 GECs....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: August 26, 2020, 09:44:57 PM
innocent times, when I only had 2 GECs....

I can relate  :facepalm:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #33 on: August 27, 2020, 08:20:11 AM
Nearly, automatically in a way,bought a 33 the other day before remembering that I have one from the original run and do not really want or need another one.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: August 27, 2020, 02:00:59 PM
You can always flip it ! 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: August 27, 2020, 03:45:44 PM
I read thru this thread a little while ago.  Good read and some comments seem similar to my own ( I don't own a GEC folder ).  I have a few traditionals so when I read about GEC I do feel compelled to try one of their traditional folder offerings.  When I ordered my first new Case I was very disappointed.  The bolsters were horrendous.  The tip of the blade was mangled.  The knife honestly looked like it had been carried and used really well.  I was terribly disappointed.  I sent it back hoping they'd make it right.  They did and I am very happy. 

I am still looking at GEC folders but its a bit annoying as they get snapped up so quick.  I am not going to pay double on the secondary market.  Whats left on some sites are the knives that clearly didn't sell to collectors.  I liked the Dixie Stockman but if I'm gonna pay the asking price I want the covers I like not what has not sold. 

Truth is when I look thru whats left on sites, I'm happy with my Case Psalm 23 Trapper and Mini Trapper.  I also enjoy my Schatt and Morgan and Camillus 64. 

I do think theres something to be said ( believe me I know ) about just wanting.  We get to a stage where the next "level" up is part of he process of this hobby. 

GEC has a great business and a loyal following.  I've seen the video how how they produce their knives which is pretty cool.  They really seem to care about quality. 

At $70US for a Case and $100-$150 for a GEC ( price range I'm looking at ) it would seem for the $30 to double the price I'd need to really want one.  I think I'll keep looking and see if I can pick up one closer to $100 before I commit to double the price of a Case ( all things considered ). 
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #36 on: August 27, 2020, 05:38:55 PM
In my opinion the 71, bullnose is the best GEC. Consistent quality, reasonably priced and available regularly. A working knife that looks good.
I did a comparison with case and queen etc. models a while ago and it was my choice. The 1095 they use now does not seem to keep an edge as well as the O1 they had originally but it is still a solid knife, and one of my 2, 3 most used slipjoints. If only they made it in SS too.

You can usually get what you want if you look around a bit, for regular prices. Most people just focus on the few dealers that are allowed to advertise on BF, or expect the knife to land on their lap, without looking a bit for it.
People were moaning about the 33, and I was seeing several, including stag, on sale at a dealer 99 to 100 USD.
Gone yesterday, but they were available for a few days.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: August 27, 2020, 11:51:16 PM
I do like my Case Sod buster Jr.  Thanks dks, I agree just got to be persistent looking around and jump when found. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #38 on: August 28, 2020, 12:10:40 AM
Some GEC knives sell quicker than others. One must be determined and fast to score these days. I remember years ago when GEC's sat on dealers selves for many months. These were small runs. Some of these same knives are selling for $300 to $700 today.    :D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 12:27:52 AM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #39 on: August 28, 2020, 08:17:35 AM
The pricing of older ones is tricky. What many don't realise is that in the early days (late 2000s, GEC is a new company) the numbers per variant were quite small, 50 was a big run (GEC publishes totals), so they don't show up for auction often, if ever, for a price to be established.
I have a few older ones that, depending on the day, may be valued highly being old and not available, or lowly as they are not the current desirasble/fashionable models.

Even a relatively new one, like my stag 33, from the original run, with 440C steel may be worth less than the newer ones to someone that wants to have and show the new fashionable model and wants 1095 steel.
Someone that wants SS and the first edition, smaller production model may pay more.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%