Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman wire cutter notch

Offline Tommyboy

• New User
Leatherman wire cutter notch
on: August 23, 2020, 12:30:16 PM
So I have a Wingman and I do not like the notch in the bottom of the wire cutters. I find it very annoying to have to put the wire in the cutters in the right spot to cut instead of just bottoming out the wire and cutting it.
It looks to me like most all leatherman tools are made this way. Does anyone know if there are any that aren't?
I'm looking to purchase a different tool soon and was wanting to stick with leatherman brand but I want wire cutters without the notch.
I'm sort of leaning towards the sog powerpint because I don't think it has the notch and I want a pocket clip. I don't really need or want a full size tool. Any suggestions? Thanks, Tom

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Leatherman wire cutter notch
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 01:14:24 PM
I know exactly what you mean actually, I find it particularly annoying when working with rabbit fencing etc...

If you were to go down the vintage route - the old PSTs don't have the notch if you want to stick with Leathernan, or alternatively, the SOG PPP doesn't have one and is a lovely little well made tool... although a bit too lightweight for heavy work in my opinion... but exceptionally enjoyable to fiddle with.  :tu:

Offline Tommyboy

• New User
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 01:54:13 PM
Thanks for the information!
Do you know how the power pint compares to the wingman size, and quality wise. I can't seem to find any comparisons online between the two.
I really don't need anything heavy duty for my use. Mainly the wire cutters and pliers.
I would just go with a pair of side cutters or needle nose if I could find a pair with a pocket clip to make them easily accessible.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 02:25:35 AM
Not sure if a Rebar is too big for your needs, or if it can have a pocket clip, but I believe the replaceable wire cutter inserts can be replaced with the fuse wire inserts that don't have the hard wire notch. Ben from Texas Tool Crib on YT put some MUT EOD cutters in his Surge but he had to grind them down to fit. It looks like there are correct inserts that need no modification.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 04:19:53 AM
 :iagree: with Fuzzy about the older PSTs not having the notch :cheers: Hope you can find something you like :salute:

and Welcome to :MTO: :cheers:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 01:02:35 PM
Do you know how the power pint compares to the wingman size, and quality wise. I can't seem to find any comparisons online between the two.

I'm away at the moment, don't have the tools on hand, so unfortunately can't take comparison pics, but what I can tell you is that the PP is definitely in a different size class, significantly smaller than the Wingman. The latter is a compact full size tool, while the PP is more of a pocket tool, closer to the LM Juice line, if you're familiar with those. The PowerPint's pliers are pretty good, but some of the other tools are of questionable quality, especially the scissors and the file. Hope I could help with some of these comments.

ro Offline Edi

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 12:32:08 PM
Also the wenger, victorinox ranger line with pliers, don't have a notch.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 12:39:38 PM
LM Squirt does not have a notch, if you are happy with something small
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 12:55:16 PM
Thanks for the information!
I really don't need anything heavy duty for my use. Mainly the wire cutters and pliers.
I would just go with a pair of side cutters or needle nose if I could find a pair with a pocket clip to make them easily accessible.

Comparison pics:

powerpint_wingman_1.jpg
* powerpint_wingman_1.jpg (Filesize: 93.52 KB)
powerpint_wingman_2.jpg
* powerpint_wingman_2.jpg (Filesize: 98.17 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%