Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Customised 58mm SAK?

Offline SAK Keyman

Customised 58mm SAK?
on: January 08, 2009, 06:37:11 PM
I've seen lots of 93mm and 89mm with customised combination of tools/implements.  But have never seen any done on a 58mm sak.  Just wondering why?  Or have I missed it out?   :think:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Customised 58mm SAK?
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:09:05 PM
I've never tried it because, to be honest, it looks fiddly as heck.  :bnghd:  ;)

Oh and welcome to the forum.  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 09:43:36 PM
Neil's done some, but like Gareth pointed out, I think most people are detered by the small, fiddly size of the 58's.

Welcome to the forum mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline SAK Keyman

Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 10:21:34 PM
Thanks for the warm reception. 

Any idea where I can go to to view some of his works?  I tried to search with "Neil" and "58" but couldn't find anything.

58mm is my favorite size as far as daily pocket carry is concerned.  One of these days, I'll try to grab hold of some 65mm Wenger to try out.  Maybe they are not as fiddly, at the same time not too bulky/heavy for pocket carry.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 12:09:55 AM
Neil has just completed one that I think is great.  :)

Hopefully he'll share some pics soon.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:53:33 AM
Hello, good evening (well it is here) and welcome to the forum  :cheers:

Ben made me do this one :)  Its a Mini Champ without blades, plus the picker/peeler has been rounded off and the outer bevel removed.  The idea being that it could be carried in most areas where knives are restricted.

I wanted to call it the Mini Nanny Champ.   From the new Nanny State, bladeless wonders range  :P

However, Ben thinks "The Scholar" would be better and I think he can be way too sensible at times  ::) ;)

Neil

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:03:05 AM
I know I have already said this, but I just love that SAK.  :)  Did I have a good idea or what.  :D

How was it to make?  I imagine it to be real fiddly.
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 02:13:58 AM
I like that, a lot!
B

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 03:43:32 AM
I know I have already said this, but I just love that SAK.  :)  Did I have a good idea or what.  :D

How was it to make?  I imagine it to be real fiddly.

Yes ... I suppose you did :D  Moving on....

Yes they are a bit fiddly and you do have to be careful not to inhale the tiny bushings :P  Peening's quicker though  :tu:

The only thing to keep in mind is that you have to keep the layers either side level, so if you want to do anything fancy its best to keep a micrometer to hand.  This particular mod was pretty painless as the two tools being dumped were the same size and the resulting reshuffle was simple.  The fun really begins when you start mixing and matching parts from other sized SAKs  :ahhh 

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline revolvergeek

Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 06:40:23 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Very nicely done!   :drool: What about giving an Alox Rambler a go????  :pok:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 06:46:44 PM
Very nice! 

Quite marketable, I would think.  :tu:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 06:51:23 PM
Very nice! 

Quite marketable, I would think.  :tu:

I think it would be as well.  Especially to the European market.
I'm back!!

Offline SAK Keyman

Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 08:31:34 PM
Nice work you've got there!  And nice choice of the milk bottle to match the name you've given to the "new model".   :D

When assembling them.  Do you assemble them one layer at a time?  I've assembled a couple of 58mm from scratch and find that it is a real pain in the a##, especially for 2 layers and above.  I'm dreaming of implementing a diamond file, a carbide scriber or even a ceramic blade on a 58mm one of these day.   :drink:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 08:32:39 PM
Nice work you've got there!  And nice choice of the milk bottle to match the name you've given to the "new model".   :D

When assembling them.  Do you assemble them one layer at a time?  I've assembled a couple of 58mm from scratch and find that it is a real pain in the a##, especially for 2 layers and above.  I'm dreaming of implementing a diamond file, a carbide scriber or even a ceramic blade on a 58mm one of these day.   :drink:

I'd like to see that mod.  :)
I'm back!!

Offline SAK Keyman

Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 09:06:58 PM
I've a couple of diamond files that have the right width and thickness for a 58mm mod.  But I've hold back because I worried that the diamond edge will scratch up other things in my pocket.  I could round off the outer edge of the diamond file but that would leave too little "filing face" on the blade.  Maybe the diamond file idea is more suitable for the 84mm or 93mm. 

As for the carbide scriber.  The carbide tips that I have have a diameter of about 3-4mm.  That will add a neccessarily thick layer to the sak.  I'm still trying to get my hand on some finer carbide tip. 

For the ceramic blade.  I've thought of cutting down a full sized blade to fit the 58mm but are wondering if it will become too fragile at those sizes/thickness.  Machining will be a huge headache too........   

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 11:18:21 PM
Welcome to the forum SK  :tu:

and beautiful mod Neil :drool: :tu: Seems practical especially for legal UK EDC ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 11:21:25 PM
I've a couple of diamond files that have the right width and thickness for a 58mm mod.  But I've hold back because I worried that the diamond edge will scratch up other things in my pocket.  I could round off the outer edge of the diamond file but that would leave too little "filing face" on the blade.  Maybe the diamond file idea is more suitable for the 84mm or 93mm. 

As for the carbide scriber.  The carbide tips that I have have a diameter of about 3-4mm.  That will add a neccessarily thick layer to the sak.  I'm still trying to get my hand on some finer carbide tip. 

For the ceramic blade.  I've thought of cutting down a full sized blade to fit the 58mm but are wondering if it will become too fragile at those sizes/thickness.  Machining will be a huge headache too........   

Wow, that is ambitious.  The very best to you because it sounds great.  I don't know about the ceramic blade but my gut says it would be too fragile.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline SAK Keyman

Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 08:32:04 PM
Welcome to the forum SK  :tu:

Thanks!  This is a great place with all the multitool fanatics loitering around!   :climber:

Offline SAK Keyman

Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 08:35:14 PM

Wow, that is ambitious.  The very best to you because it sounds great.  I don't know about the ceramic blade but my gut says it would be too fragile.
[/quote]

Ya, exactly what I thought so too.  But the diamond file and carbide scriber is very "doable". 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%