Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which SAK to accompany a MP600?

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Which SAK to accompany a MP600?
on: August 30, 2020, 05:06:50 PM
Recently I found myself more often in need to cut (sometimes rusted) bolts and screws in tight places. While the SAK metal saw is not bad, it is still not very satisfying to use. So I looked around and found the (bladeless) MP600 with the saw blade holder. As it can use regular jigsaw blades, I figured it should be miles ahead of the SAK metal saw.

First I was worried about finding replacement jigsaw blades, as the Gerber uses U-shank blades, however they were easier to find than expected. Also found the MP600 on sale, so as you can imagine, I have an MP600 and an assortment of jigsaw blades on the way.  :D

Since the MP600 is bladeless and is missing some other tools, my next thought was of course which SAK to pair it with. I would like to keep it as small as possible, so I can just slip it into a pocket. Let‘s say 3 layer max, 93mm max and it does not matter if Victorinox or Wenger.
Which SAK would you recommend and why?  :popcorn:
Thanks!  :cheers:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: Which SAK to accompany a MP600?
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 07:22:09 PM
I find the Compact is a great SAK on its own, or, as a companion to a MT.
It has some great functionality in a 2 layer 91mm frame.
Of course it all depends on what functions you want on your companion SAK.
- Steve

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 08:06:36 PM
I recently went through this line of thinking when the additional EDC items of the year 2020 topped up the bag that I bring to work.  My Gerber MP600 has been hanging out in there for years. 

The conclusion I came to was to carry something of a keychain sized MT, but that didn't last long as not having a SAK in my pocket felt like I didn't have a pocket, which in turn felt like I didn't have any pants.  Not a good feeling. 

Anyway.  I would second the Compact in your case... Or the Waiter if you don't need scissors. (But everyone needs scissors).  Since you're going bladeless, you've got that covered by the SAK. The extra drivers on the MP600 will supplement the Vic combo tool.

I reckon that would take care of anything that needs doing.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 08:13:05 PM
That was my line of thinking too. But then I also thought about a Pioneer or PX for the inline awl, or a PTC... See where I am going with this?  :D So the solution was to ask the people that are just as nuts about MT‘s (and that like to go through mental exercises and what-if scenarios) than I am.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 08:29:17 PM
That was my line of thinking too. But then I also thought about a Pioneer or PX for the inline awl, or a PTC... See where I am going with this?  :D So the solution was to ask the people that are just as nuts about MT‘s (and that like to go through mental exercises and what-if scenarios) than I am.

Well if you want to know what I decided on when I got my pants back on, it's the Pioneer X. Back to square one.  It's not the lightest system there ever was.  Also, the openers would be redundant.  The reason I stayed with the Pioneer X is because once I shed my bag and keys, the Pioneer X is a great stand alone tool.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 08:40:47 PM
The one I always carry with pretty much every Gerber I own (except my MP400, which already has scissors) is the Huntsman, since none of my other Gerbers have scissors or a saw.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 11:26:17 PM
Pioneer, as it has an awl and a two-layer format (I think); perfect pairing!

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 01:12:11 AM
Well if you want to know what I decided on when I got my pants back on, it's the Pioneer X. Back to square one.  It's not the lightest system there ever was.  Also, the openers would be redundant.  The reason I stayed with the Pioneer X is because once I shed my bag and keys, the Pioneer X is a great stand alone tool.

It is a great tool, but for some reason I have never taken a liking to it  :dunno:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 01:15:32 AM
The one I always carry with pretty much every Gerber I own (except my MP400, which already has scissors) is the Huntsman, since none of my other Gerbers have scissors or a saw.

The Huntsman is too much for me as a companion to the MP600, even though I like it as a stand-alone SAK. As the Gerber has the blade changer, i won‘t need the woodsaw ( I also ordered jigsaw blades for wood and metal that should fit the blade changer). The opener layer is also redundant.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 01:37:10 AM
It is a great tool, but for some reason I have never taken a liking to it  :dunno:

I can understand why.  I'm just stubborn.   

What about trying a Classic or a Bantam.  How much blade do you really need?

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 01:41:13 AM
I always have a classic on my keys, or in the car, or... so never too far away. I would say for most of my uses the blade of a 84mm works just fine. Everything below that is too small.

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 02:34:46 AM
The Swisstool Spirit will cover you well.  And if you put the MP600 on your belt on one side and the Spirit on the other side, you will be perfectly balanced, physically at least 😜.      :rofl:   But the Compact would probably be better.  👍.    :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 03:33:55 AM
I think it will depend on how well i‘ll get along with the Gerber scissors. I know they are not up to par with the Vic ones, but from my experience with the Suspension I know that they are decent enough.

If that holds true, I think I will carry either a Waiter, Cadet or Pioneer. If the scissors drive me crazy, I think it will be a Compact.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 03:34:56 AM
The Swisstool Spirit will cover you well.  And if you put the MP600 on your belt on one side and the Spirit on the other side, you will be perfectly balanced, physically at least 😜.      :rofl:   But the Compact would probably be better.  👍.    :cheers:

Gotta admit, I thought about it for a few seconds  :rofl: :D

us Offline Frailer

Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 04:55:42 AM
...I would second the Compact in your case... Or the Waiter if you don't need scissors. (But everyone needs scissors)...

I wrote a sentence almost identical to this one a few days ago when someone asked me for a SAK recommendation. Great minds.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 05:09:25 AM
I think perhaps this question is best approached from another angle.  What tool(s) do you want the SAK to provide that the bladeless MP600 does not?

For example(s):

"Knife blade only" -> Swiss Army 1

"Knife blade and corkscrew" -> Waiter

"Knife blade & nail file" -> Cadet

"Victorinox scissors are so far superior to Gerber, I have to have them even though they're redundant" -> Compact

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 03:41:46 PM
I think I will start with the Cadet. I don‘t necessarily need the nail file, as i always have a classic close, but I really like the size of it. It just disappears in your pockets until you need it  :like:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 02:18:32 AM
 :cheers:

I have one of those hacksaws as well, but sometimes, even that is too large  :D I also like to have the ability on my MT. Dremel would not be an option ( in this specific scenario) as there is no power source close by.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 04:54:16 AM
After testing the MP600s scissors today, I decided to switch the Cadet for the Compact. The scissors did well on harder material (broom bristles, zip ties, paper) but not on softer or elastic material (thin sheet of foam wrap, paracord). Will see how that combo will work for me  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%