Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pocket knife with rifle tools questions

it Offline shadowrider

Pocket knife with rifle tools questions
on: August 03, 2020, 04:55:00 PM
Hey folks,
I would like to add a hunting knife to my collection of pocket knives. I have found one I like by Beretta, with nice engraved handles. The knife comes in several variations that differ in the choice of the shotgun-specific tool they come with, some of which puzzle me. Now, I am not a hunter and don't know much about guns... So I would really like some explanation from those ones of you who do.

Below are pictures of these knife models. The first one is equipped with a shell removing tool, for 12 and 20 gauge cal. shells, and what seems to be a large screwdriver tip (is that correct?). The second one is an older model with choke tube wrench, also for 12 and 20 gauge cal. tubes, and with what seems to be a fine screwdriver tip. This model is not available any more, and the current one to replace it has a bottle opener instead, but it still retains the long screwdriver tip. It is however still listed as a choke tube tool. Why would that be the case? And what would the long "nose" on this bottle opener be used for on a shotgun?
Many thanks to anyone who would care to enlighten me a bit.

1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 46.83 KB)
2.jpg
* 2.jpg (Filesize: 216.19 KB)
3.jpg
* 3.jpg (Filesize: 62.75 KB)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 05:36:06 PM by shadowrider »

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Pocket knife with rifle tools questions
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 03:12:02 PM
The new model is not a choke wrench it is just a bottle opener as far as I can tell.  If it is still listed as choke wrench in their catalog I think that is probably just a mistake.  A small screw driver is always useful with or without a shotgun.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 04:38:41 PM
Those are nice. The shotgun tube wrench is very handy. The bottle opener, not nearly as much as I am a firm believer to never mix firearms with alcohol.

The shell removing tool is definitely antiquated. Most break action shotguns will tend to have a shell extractor that will move the shells slightly outwards for easy removal or eject them completely. There was a day when a tool as mentioned would help as they were flush with the breach. The shotgun wrench is very handy in removing various chokes (screw in tips or inserts that control the pattern of your shot. The flat screwdriver is always handy but can also act as a mini pry bar.

I have something you might want to read. This thread is 5 years old now..but if you would like to look at more hunter/military tools...this is still a good roundup. I unfortunately do not have either of those Beretta knives in my collection.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57044.0.html

Incidentally, the current Canadian Government banned all AR style rifles a few months ago. Everyone who ones one cannot take it out of secure storage. The Government is figuring out a buyback program or something of its ilk...and they gave a 2 year grace period to implement something before they make honest folks into criminals. Although I own plenty of AR specific tools, I do not own an AR rifle. Sort of happy now that I do not have one to be honest..
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:51:16 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 02:58:56 AM
Thank you for the tips, guys!  :cheers:
I guess I was right in suspecting the change to a bottle opener on these knives was just a gimmick, then... I will be on the lookout for a used one with proper choke tube tool, which I don't understand why they discontinued while still producing the one with the shell removing tool.

Chako, thanks for the link. That's quite a collection you got there!
Similarly to what your pattern seems to have been like, I have been toying with air guns at the shooting range a few times and considering getting into archery now. Then maybe someday down the road getting into bow hunting. If hunting will still be permitted by then, that is. You never know!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 11:30:18 AM
There are archery tools out there.

You should check up on the Real Avid Gun Tool. Not as elegant as those knives, but a whole Lot more capable. I can easily say it is gun range tested on my part. I combine that tool with a Leatherman Mut in my range bag.

https://www.realavid.com/product/the-gun-tool/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:45:16 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 12:50:46 PM
Without having a cross-section view of the tool with the bottle opener, I can tell you that it is often helpful to simply have a "pin push" when field stripping a long gun. My Mossberg 500a has a pin that runs from one side of the receiver to the other. Not a screw. And that pin must be tapped out before certain components (in this case the trigger housing) can be removed.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:55:47 PM by ThundahBeagle »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD