Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is the Swiss Army Knife of Cars?

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Re: What is the Swiss Army Knife of Cars?
Reply #30 on: September 17, 2020, 04:44:39 AM
The DMC Delorean.   Unique, discontinued, fancy metal exterior, gull wing doors, limited run, sporty, exotic, instantly recognizable, and appeared in a series of popular films. Ticks off most of the boxes.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #31 on: September 17, 2020, 05:02:37 AM
Talk about flexible....

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #32 on: September 17, 2020, 05:07:13 AM
Frailer,

Xclt share. Thx.

I recall Giugiaro of Ital Design did the first Golf/Rabbit.

This may be the only pickup truck designed by Giugiaro that was mass produced. It is a keeper in every way!!!

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: September 18, 2020, 09:41:36 AM
They were mentioned before in this thread, but I swear I thought if them before reading the respective posts: Unimog and Fiat Panda 4x4. Another one that hasn't been mentioned yet: Toyota Hilux. Indestructible and of japanese quality, just watch the Top Gear show where they try to kill one.

Edit: Damn, just saw that the Hilux was already mentioned too. Well, Swiss Army Knight minds think alike, I guess :dunno:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: September 18, 2020, 09:45:31 AM
Hilux would be a good option, but the older models like the one they tried killing in topgear. All the other models mentooned by Range Rover, Volkswagen, Mercedes and similar are too big and too pricey.

Remember, SAK has always been an affordable knife. Inexpensive but versitile. And pocketable. So smaller format. I agree it should be an all terain vehicle, but one of the smaller ones without all the electronics and AI and spece ship cockpit looking one.

My vote goes for the Dacia/Renault Duster 4x4 (name depending on your location) or even the Fiat Panda 4x4 for the 84/85mm versions ;) Heck even the Swiss mountain rescue service uses those.

Couldn't agree more with all of it :hatsoff:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:55:49 AM by Simon_Templar »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: September 18, 2020, 01:02:46 PM
Just like with SAKs and multitools, a lot depends on personal preferences.

When I was into off-roading and camping my Landcruiser 80 series was my all-purpose vehicle, as it was comfortable enough on-road, and great off-road, with plenty of room.

These days my preferences run to on-road only, so my VW Golf R wagon has all my current requirements covered:  fast(ish) (turbo petrol), good handling in all weather conditions (low Cog, AWD, UHP tyres), lots or room for dogs or stuff (wagon), comfortable (nice seats), safe (heaps of acronyms), good economy (relative to performance), and excellent adaptive cruise control (relaxing cruising on hwy, good licence protector).

That's the kind of thing that comes to my mind as well.  Some kind of AWD Wagon (or Estate for those of us in the UK).  Well built, comfortable in most conditions and practical. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #36 on: September 18, 2020, 04:40:03 PM

The Panda is like a pair of jeans: a simple, practical article of clothing without pretense. I tried to give it the essential quality of a military design — in particular a helicopter: something light, rational, and optimized for a specific purpose.

— Giorgetto Giugiaro on his original Panda design for Panda fans

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #37 on: September 18, 2020, 04:50:20 PM

The Panda is like a pair of jeans: a simple, practical article of clothing without pretense. I tried to give it the essential quality of a military design — in particular a helicopter: something light, rational, and optimized for a specific purpose.

— Giorgetto Giugiaro on his original Panda design for Panda fans
The original Panda is indeed a work of art. As were so many small Fiats of that area, if you ask me ;)

The 2nd coming was very good indeed, current is starting to move away from original concept, but is still a nice little car with soul methinks.

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #38 on: September 18, 2020, 05:30:30 PM
Gareth

Those Golf R’s = Zenith of refinement/utility trade off and I have long admired them. But they are so dignified and right in conventional color schemes, I am not sure I could paint one red with white wheels and put a white Vic logo on the door.

Or maybe I could.  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: September 18, 2020, 06:02:33 PM
The Panda looks great however no US car avail  :think:.  I'd offer a vehicle that I'd buy as my SAK car, Toyota RAV4 AWD Hybrid.  I've seen some "testing" and it looks pretty good off road.  Mind you I dont get any snow so for my SoCal climate it would be more than enough. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #40 on: September 18, 2020, 06:23:10 PM
Old lefty,

I agree on the Italdesign and Bertone era of Fiats that were unfortunately better designed than quality controlled.

Now, as a fellow lefty, since I got my left-handed Wenger recently, I keep looking at my car and thinking it sure would be nice if some after market guy looking for a niche would do after market adaptations of cars for lefties. Not talking about a ground up reverse engineered Wenger-style copy (though we could probably talk a Chinese, or Indian, outfit into that), just some user interface changes.

Outside doors handles mounted center door with long linkage to existing locking system. Voila! No more cross over reach with left hand.

Seat belts buckle on the left.

Cruise control on the left.

Wipers on the left.

Lidar detector mount on the left side of the windshield.

Fuel gauge on the left.

Tach/speedo pod reversed.

The center stack is a problem, because its in the center ON THE RIGHT. Maybe virtualize the center stack into a plasma screen mounted on the left hand sun visor?

The automatic gear shift stick could be virtualized to work by voice command. “Gear D1.” Both righties and lefties would benefit by that. Gear shift levers for automatics are vestigial devices, like an appendix. Uneccecessary. A manual gear shift I have respect for and gladly shift it right handed the way god and Henry Ford intended.

I could go on here, but you get the idea. Modify many, but not all user interfaces in a car model that many affluent professionals drive, and for which there would be a healthy lefty demand for resale as converted.” Put an “L” logo, or Wenger’s lefty logo, on the finished product.

As I am a populist at heart, I would like to see lefty cars available to those driving lower priced cars. Maybe find a high volume. long lived model like the Golf, and adapt it for left hand interface.

My Wenger lefty handed really is much more pleasurable and efficient to use. If I could find a Champion Plus in left handed form, I would change over immediately. I am watching EBay and the miscellaneous clones of it for a more elaborate (MORE THAN THREE LAYERS!!!) lefty but without luck so far. I hope your black knife is a lefty model, for your sake.

Leave the window lifts and gas cover latches alone, because they are already where we want them—on the left.

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #41 on: September 18, 2020, 07:45:59 PM
^
Most interesting thinking on design! It would indeed be nice to have such a choice!

BTW: some of your requirements are standard features in MB’s. The Mercedes multistalk (hated by many journalists) sits on left side of the wheel and controls multiple features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: September 18, 2020, 07:53:54 PM
Old lefty,

I agree on the Italdesign and Bertone era of Fiats that were unfortunately better designed than quality controlled.

Now, as a fellow lefty, since I got my left-handed Wenger recently, I keep looking at my car and thinking it sure would be nice if some after market guy looking for a niche would do after market adaptations of cars for lefties. Not talking about a ground up reverse engineered Wenger-style copy (though we could probably talk a Chinese, or Indian, outfit into that), just some user interface changes.

Outside doors handles mounted center door with long linkage to existing locking system. Voila! No more cross over reach with left hand.

Seat belts buckle on the left.

Cruise control on the left.

Wipers on the left.

Lidar detector mount on the left side of the windshield.

Fuel gauge on the left.

Tach/speedo pod reversed.

The center stack is a problem, because its in the center ON THE RIGHT. Maybe virtualize the center stack into a plasma screen mounted on the left hand sun visor?

The automatic gear shift stick could be virtualized to work by voice command. “Gear D1.” Both righties and lefties would benefit by that. Gear shift levers for automatics are vestigial devices, like an appendix. Uneccecessary. A manual gear shift I have respect for and gladly shift it right handed the way god and Henry Ford intended.

I could go on here, but you get the idea. Modify many, but not all user interfaces in a car model that many affluent professionals drive, and for which there would be a healthy lefty demand for resale as converted.” Put an “L” logo, or Wenger’s lefty logo, on the finished product.

As I am a populist at heart, I would like to see lefty cars available to those driving lower priced cars. Maybe find a high volume. long lived model like the Golf, and adapt it for left hand interface.

My Wenger lefty handed really is much more pleasurable and efficient to use. If I could find a Champion Plus in left handed form, I would change over immediately. I am watching EBay and the miscellaneous clones of it for a more elaborate (MORE THAN THREE LAYERS!!!) lefty but without luck so far. I hope your black knife is a lefty model, for your sake.

Leave the window lifts and gas cover latches alone, because they are already where we want them—on the left.

What you need to do is import a right hand drive car.  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #43 on: September 19, 2020, 04:17:53 AM
I agree 💯. Give me the West version and I'll never need anything else!
Swiss Army of vehicles  :think:

I'd place my vote on a Volkswagen Syncro 4x4.  While a truck can do a lot this thing can do a few more things and better IMO.
Barry

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #44 on: September 19, 2020, 09:31:11 AM
For me it would the Land Rover or Jeep.  Able to adapt to both on and off road, and able to easily adjust to different versions, so hard top, pick-up, light van are all interchangeable without any structural modifications.  And they're fun to own  :D

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #45 on: September 19, 2020, 11:25:30 AM
That's an awesome Rangie Myron!

I saw a Victorinox themed "parade car" (if that is the correct term) a while back but sadly I cannot find the pics :(
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 12:13:26 PM
A multitool completes many tasks satisfactory, but it is not going to be as good as a speSmurfpillsed tool, for each task.

Thus, it cannot be a dedicated vehicle, dedicate off roader, sports car, people carrier, small car, economical etc.

As mentioned previously a modern 7 seater SUV will cover many of these satisfactory.

Depending on your country it can be japanese, korean, american, european

people carrier - 7 seats
van- fold seats down
sports car - 4wd, nice powerful diesel engine, good suspension and decent handling (e.g. Audi, BMW)
off roader - 4wd, decent ground clearance
economical - 2 to 3 litre modern diesel engine (200HP plus, great torque)
prestige - they are not that cheap
cheap - they are not that expensive, generally
Safe - modern technology, size
small - they are not generally the size of a bus or big van
Fashionable - naturally these days
Comfy - big suspension  travel, not too stiff

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #47 on: September 19, 2020, 12:22:30 PM
dks! I was typing my post as you posted yours, and it's great that they are related (more or less, anyway!)

Like with the tools themselves, the Swiss Army Knife of vehicles is whichever one can do all the things you (yes, you specifically) want to do — which is, naturally, different for every user. My 2014 Dodge 1500 is great for moving furniture and theatre sets, not to mention my two bicycles (throw them in the back, lock the chain, and done!) It has also been on top of two (2) separate mountain peaks. My old Ford Ranger surprised me by making it almost to the top of one. That was a surprisingly versatile vehicle, that one.

Also, as with Swiss Army Knives themselves, the most important part of what makes them so versatile is one's own ability to push their limits, combined with an understanding of what those limits are. Our disgusting, slimy brains are the real hero in just about every multitool (or vehicle) story.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #48 on: September 19, 2020, 12:41:29 PM
 :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: September 19, 2020, 04:38:05 PM
 :iagree:

Well said both of you. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #50 on: September 22, 2020, 01:29:21 AM
Gareth,

I have actually thought about it. Years ago a person let me drive his RHD Rolls that he imported and it really felt right. But part of the feeling may have been that it was a Rolls.  :D

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: September 22, 2020, 05:19:19 AM
For me it would the Land Rover or Jeep.  Able to adapt to both on and off road, and able to easily adjust to different versions, so hard top, pick-up, light van are all interchangeable without any structural modifications.  And they're fun to own  :D

Yes!

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #52 on: September 22, 2020, 05:46:04 AM
I'm going to give +1 for the Landrover

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD