Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brands you have but never use

dks · 15 · 683

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Brands you have but never use
on: September 17, 2020, 02:05:54 PM
There are some brands of Multitools/Multiknives and Knives that we/I buy several of but never really use, they just never “click” with us/me.

These are not single items, LE, one only of a brand. I bought them because I actually intended to use them, but never wanted to.

They are also not bad tools; I have not had an issue with them. (that will be a different thread)

• I have a few Victorinox Swisstools, brand new, but never used them. It is not a value concern, as they could be replaced easily with similar or identical Swisstools but I just never got the desire to use them.

Case xx knives, again I have a few, mainly mainstream models, but never had the desire to use them.

Buck knives, same situation, but I only use a Buck toothpick of my lot – so not a total loss. I did try to use stockmans too but it just did not feel right.

Several German or “German” brands with bull and dog and creek on them, they are OK but leave me cold.

Svord… they look interesting.

Schrade, I have used the older ones but the new ones belong in a different thread

Gerber multiools (apart from the evil dime).

Buck multitools

CRKT multitools (I use a knife)

MAM, ICEL (good kitchen knives)

I am sure there are more I have and don’t use, generally from some lesser known brand.

(I do use RR, GEC, SRM, Opinel, SAKs, Queen, LM, Joker, Bahco, Mora, Martiini, Navy, Ganzo, SOG (the dreaded powerduo), Cold steel (the kudu only)…….. so I do click with certain brands.)

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Brands you have but never use
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 02:48:01 PM
For me it's ...
- the Gerber multitools, MP series seems to cluncky to me, and short tools just for the OHO pliers. Not my game
- KaBar fixed blades, tried carrying it for outdoor use, but find I'm fine with just a Mora Clipper or sometimes paired with a Laplander folding saw.
- any of the trad folding knife companies, I bought and got gifted a few but never carried any of them for more than a day or two.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 03:09:24 PM
Victorinox for me. I have a few alox models but rarely carry them.  I find them redundant to my daily carry of a multitool and a traditional slipjoint.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 07:08:57 PM
Your lists make mine look huge :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 08:03:05 PM
The Leatherman's, for example I have a Micra and a Wave and I end up always taking my swiss champ, and mini champ... But at home the the Wave it the beast to go, those pliers are amazing, I know probably Surge would be better, but I only have a Wave I love the look of it

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 10:52:17 PM
Gerber. I had to make a choice between the Gerber route or Leatherman one in the late 90s and went with the later... and the bias has stuck with me.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 10:54:08 PM
... although, I have smurfed about with Vic and SOG on the side.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 01:06:58 AM
Most of it, ranging from next to nothing to--"Holy crap, why did I just spend that much!" get use.  While I have nothing against China-made knives (and do own and use a number of Sanremu and Rough Ryder that see a ton of use), quite a few I mention are budget lines or something else from American knife companies.

SOG--I love compound leverage. The actual tools, especially file and scissors, not so much. If I need compound leverage, Knipex, Klein, and Channellock make good linesman's/combination/engineer's pliers with them; and the internal tools of my USA Schrade Tough Tool, Gerber MP Series/Center-Drive, SwissTool, LM, and even a couple really cheap ones are good. When a $25 budget Work Pro tool has good scissors, but the $80 MSRP SOG don't--you've got a big problem.

Tec-X (China-made line of tactical folders marketed and owned by Case). They are heavy, but decently made. But, I don't know why Case can't make a comparable line in the USA, given how inexpensive so many of Buck's one-hand openers are.  Thus, I mostly carry Buck when I want a cheaper OHO knife.

Bear and Son. Quality ain't there on their tools. I do own and use a number of their folders, however.

Chinese Bucks. Softish steel, and most have USA-made equivalents. My only one is a 709 Solo.

Frost. Condition is really poor, and I think aluminium is harder than the "steel" these knives use.  I have kept these knives because of a rule I have is that any knife I get as a gift I need to be able to produce quickly in case the giver asks about it. I've made it a point, and some people I know do get it, as that if they can't afford something like a Case, I'm perfectly happy with good quality used American-made traditional folders or SAKs; all of which don't cost a whole lot, but are the majority of what I own.

Taylor Brands/BTI/Smith and Wesson. I know the company and whoever bought it's gone through a lot of hands. I own several "Schrade" and one Smith and Wesson from them--quality is horrible across the board. If I wait and see, I can almost always buy a Schrade USA equivalent for less money. I've mostly just bought the China-made Schrades to test against my USA models.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 01:13:20 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 05:54:06 AM
Gerber, I didn't get along with them early on for one reason or another.  SOG, love the concept but just not my cup of tea.  Can't think of others as of now  :think:.         
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 05:52:41 PM
I have several Gerber and SOG multitools, but shy away from using them.  Leatherman tools work better for me and are more satisfying to use.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 06:03:08 PM
I like the Gerber MP-600 variations but I prefer pocket carry to having anything on my belt and nothing tears up your pants faster than the long nose pliers sticking out of the handle of those MPs.  No such problem with the blunt nose variations but Gerber saw fit to stop making them and to never offer a fully equipped model (with scissors) with blunt nose pliers anyway, so they sit in a box.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 06:59:49 PM
Ok, I'm only referring to blades here, nothing else, i.e. pliers (other views are available :duel: )

Almost any MT that could be OHO* but isn't  :dunno:

1) I love my SwissTool (but OHO would be better)

2) I love my Rebar (but OHO would be better)

3) I love my MP600 (but OHO would be better)

I would really love if LM/Gerber/SOG/Vic' & Spydie got together to produce a Surge sized MT with Spydie type OHO blades**

* OHO is not a problem here in the UK, just locking blades so, if they lock, they might as well be OHO  :whistle:

** I prefer partially serrated for work purposes as I need to cut binding straps etc (one of each OHO blades would be ideal  :tu: )

NB: Still keeping a watchful eye on GOAT Tools  :pok:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 12:00:16 AM
1. Gerber MTs, but I only have one, the bladeless model.

2. Sog MTs, limited experience but they just don’t do it for me. The two reactors I have have either broken or been finnicky.

I’ll have to think of some more.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 02:41:01 AM
Micra, Wave, Signal - when I bought them it was a dream come true, but now I just don’t have much use for the pliers and most of the tasks are momentarily manageable with a Work Champ.

Oh, Forester also - only carry it or Signal on some outdoor activities or something like that
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

ro Offline Edi

Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 12:34:52 PM
when I bought them it was a dream come true, but now I just don’t have much use for the(m)
Indeed, i can relate to that. Meaning blades, axes and pocket knives. Although i know how sales and marketing are working, i did bought a lot just to ignore them after some use. At least, i got rid of the most... now the mt's will get probably the same treatment  ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%