Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wondering about 'lost in the wild' SAK

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
on: September 26, 2020, 11:39:49 AM
The Nessmuk and the wonderfull adventures some are documenting there got me wondering about a perfect 'survival sak'. What I mean is an SAK with compass, light making equippement, blade, hook, some paracord, maybe fishing line and wood saw.

Now, old Tool Chest Plus and current Evo Grip S54 at least come with the compass and blades/tools needed (with cost of being quite bulky). To add a ferro rod into the keyring and stuffing some kindle in say under/onto the corkscrew (someone here wrote about this trick) would be close to what I'm thinking about. Partially, still lacking elegant solution for line/paracord.

My thinking goes that to be dropped into the pocket it should be one item (multiple items will be left behind methinks) small and elegant enough and not a pouch of multiple items (my current setup, a zip pack with lint, ferro, small knife and compass) since those, whilst possibly handy do not have the beaty (looking at you Schrade Navitool) of a single item in my mind. Since I don't plan on getting lost into the woods unprepared on regular basis the simplicity and style of a city dweller is a factor here. If not, I guess a proper survival knife would get the job done.

So, what do y'all reckon? What would/is your choice?

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 11:55:58 AM
Have you seen the firefly (ferro rod fits  in SAK tweezer slot) and fireant (ferro rod and quick start tinder fits in corkscrew) from Tortoise Gear old Lefty?

I do a bit bush walking here in Sydney and like a mini emergency kit on me. Generally take a huntsman with a firefly, got some fire ants on the way.

Not an all in one tool, but on longer trips I wear a lanyard of about 6 foot of survival cord (550 paracord with fishing line, jute twine, firecord, copper wire) around my neck, with another small ferro rod, whistle, compass and mini survival knife clipped to it. For a fishing hook I’d have to do the Felix Immler trick with the split ring on the huntsman I suppose, although do sometimes take a tiny kit with hooks and shot already on some line but depends where I’m going and for how long. Do this in case I’m separated from my main gear and at least I can make fire, know direction and signal for help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 12:30:37 PM by Echotech »

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
Re: Wondering about 'lost in the wild' SAK
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 12:21:24 PM
^
No, I haven't. Thanks for sharing! Seems like a really good gear!
The fire ant would solve major part of the prob., with a Vic that would have compass. Spiffing!

EDIT: ordered a pack of Fireflies. Seems that the Fire Ant is not available yet

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 12:28:44 PM by old Lefty »
by this axe I rule

au Offline Echotech

Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 01:13:12 PM
^
No, I haven't. Thanks for sharing! Seems like a really good gear!
The fire ant would solve major part of the prob., with a Vic that would have compass. Spiffing!

EDIT: ordered a pack of Fireflies. Seems that the Fire Ant is not available yet
They’re pretty good, I ended up ordering more for my others SAK’s, definitely work but worth watching the videos for tips. Fireants are available on indiegogo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 01:55:44 PM
My first thought was: "All I need is a Hiker" ... Then I kept reading post #1 and thought "yep, yep, I'll need those"

So my list of bells and whistles, so to speak:
- a whistle?  Maybe. Some survival experts swear by this because you actually can't shout as loud as you think you can.
- a very bright LED light
- a compass such as on the S54 or perhaps on the scale itself.
- a Firefly Fireant, or equivalent in the corkscrew
- a paracord lanyard. I made one from a meter of cord and it's 3cm.  A kilometer of cord can be made into something that fits around your neck.
- And now.... The question is, which toolset?  Swisschamp without the file sounds about right.  Alternatively... the Hercules.
- oh... And the color.  Orange, dayglow yellow, or red... With glow in the dark areas.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 02:47:59 PM by ElevenBlade »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 06:58:16 AM
I think a properly stocked minimal survival kit is going to have to be a small pouch or tin, at least.  The idea of being able to pack it all into one SAK, while attractive, IMO will leave one short of some of the basics.  It might be possible to do something like a survival key chain, but the same gear would probably pack down smaller into a pouch or tin than attached to a key chain.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 08:25:00 AM
Isn't it so that the bigger plastic compass on the Wenger's have a compartiment that could be used to store tinder?
By using the firefly (only on Victorinox branded knives) it could be used to store some fishing line.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 05:00:55 PM
I think a properly stocked minimal survival kit is going to have to be a small pouch or tin, at least.  The idea of being able to pack it all into one SAK, while attractive, IMO will leave one short of some of the basics.  It might be possible to do something like a survival key chain, but the same gear would probably pack down smaller into a pouch or tin than attached to a key chain.

Agreed :salute:

While an interesting game to think of what one could fit on a SAK or keychain, not very practical. And you are more likely to loose some of it while finicking around on it trying to get the small added implements out.

Get good, quality, but smaller compass, bigger fero rod and tinder, fishing, sawing, trapping, ... whatever you deem necessary for your kit and put it in a pouch or tin. And then pair it with a decent outdoors SAK. You are more likely to carry it that way and actually find it usefull than a one time use fero rod that if you drop will probably never be found among the twigs and tinder that won't burn long enough to ignite wood that's even just a bit damp.

Just my $0,02

us Offline cody6268

Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 06:58:36 PM
I've noticed the military, after Camillus went out of production, is now putting Leatherman Squirts in USAF survival kits, going by those sold as surplus.

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 08:18:24 PM
Nate and Enki,

Whilst I agree with you on the total usability of a wrap/bag/box I think what is missing is the sprezzatura of an SAK. This is a setup for our city dweller after all.
I do think that if this aspect is dropped, a proper (fixed blade) survival knife starts to gain ground fast.

Not 'I will need these', or 'I might need these' but rather 'it is possible that these will be needed and I'll take this SAK since it has other features that I will need plus it is a sleek, good looking thing' ;)

I'm not totally sure if I will ever need such a setup (actually I hope that I never will need it, since it would imply some kind of cock-up/mishap/etc), but I must confess that I'm considering, by using the earlier mentioned tool chest/evo grip and firefly/fire ant as a staring point. 

by this axe I rule

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 08:31:37 PM
The pouches by Victorinox are a good start IMO.  I had the Dual with the Swisschamp.  You get a compass and some additional items but you can add/subtract as needed.  I still have the single pouch with a SC and in it are some fire starting items.  I'm a big fan of a small tin/pouch with the extras or a sheath type setup.   
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 09:19:24 PM
Now, upon trying to find an old book I stumbled upon this photo. Whilst not perfect, I think it is cutting it quite close.
So, to paraphrase the question what type of survival gear would this gent carry? 

Guess in reality I do look more like a cleanishly shaved and tired Carlo Pedersoli than the Saint, but an SAK with the mentioned survival necessities fit for Simon Templar would be most cool :) ;)

by this axe I rule

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 12:35:01 AM
I've noticed the military, after Camillus went out of production, is now putting Leatherman Squirts in USAF survival kits, going by those sold as surplus.

I saw one of those... I wondered if that was the standard kit, or if they have random MTs that they just distribute (apparently Gerber sell a lot to the US military)  :dunno:

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 11:51:08 AM
- a paracord lanyard. I made one from a meter of cord and it's 3cm.  A kilometer of cord can be made into something that fits around your neck.

ElevenBlade, would you mind sharing your method for tying your lanyard? I've never heard about being able to pack that much cord into such a small lanyard, I'd really like to know know how you do it.   

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 02:23:59 PM
ElevenBlade, would you mind sharing your method for tying your lanyard? I've never heard about being able to pack that much cord into such a small lanyard, I'd really like to know know how you do it.   

I went on YT and learned how to make a "Snake Knot" lanyard.  A "King Cobra" weave will use a lot more paracord and weave it into a shorter length, but it's a bit harder to learn. 
rsz_img_3335.jpg
* rsz_img_3335.jpg (Filesize: 122.95 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%