Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skary Skeletool October Challenge? 12412

No Life Club Posts: 4,735
Re: Skary Skeletool October Challenge?
« Reply #840 on: October 30, 2020, 01:05:41 PM »
Day 30:

I do like the Skeletool, but I feel it is to minimalistic and doesn't do the job as a standalone tool for me.
I feel something is missing without a woodsaw and a file.
The good thing is it is a well built tool and with the PE 154cm blade it's also a good knife.
I will be carrying it on occasion, but maybe not alone :tu:
Congrats on finishing peeps :hatsoff:
No Life Club Posts: 3,782
« Reply #841 on: October 30, 2020, 01:09:28 PM »
Powernoodle Day 30!

Touching up the serrated blade with a Victorinox sharpener to start the final day.  I can hit the plain edge and the large scallops, but not the small ones. Thank you S for a fine challenge and everyone who participated.   

:cheers: :cheers:  :woohoo:

« Reply #842 on: October 30, 2020, 01:35:52 PM »
Anyone know why the badge isn't available for request? :dunno:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

« Reply #843 on: October 30, 2020, 01:41:10 PM »
It will be.   :cheers:

« Reply #844 on: October 30, 2020, 02:00:50 PM »
It will be.   :cheers:
:cheers:

Full Member Posts: 129
« Reply #845 on: October 30, 2020, 02:49:48 PM »
Powernoodle Day 30!

Touching up the serrated blade with a Victorinox sharpener to start the final day.  I can hit the plain edge and the large scallops, but not the small ones. Thank you S for a fine challenge and everyone who participated.   

:cheers: :cheers:  :woohoo:

Powernoodle how did you like carrying the Rx for the month? Can you debrief us with things you like or things you miss?
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 63,198
« Reply #846 on: October 30, 2020, 04:24:39 PM »
Another perfect backdrop Poncho! :like:

Thanks 5S :hatsoff:
« Reply #847 on: October 30, 2020, 04:25:09 PM »
Anyone know why the badge isn't available for request? :dunno:

I will get on that right now :whistle: :facepalm: :oops: :D
« Reply #848 on: October 30, 2020, 04:32:05 PM »
Should be requestable now :salute:
« Reply #849 on: October 30, 2020, 04:34:02 PM »
Day 30 of 30

:woohoo: Been fun to participate with you all :cheers: but... I will be glad to be carrying different tools again :whistle: :like:

In regards to the tool itself I was missing scissors and a file for sure but for most tasks it handled them fine :tu: I will still rotate it in as I always have about once a week or so, probably on Sundays ;)
« Reply #850 on: October 30, 2020, 04:38:47 PM »
RF52 and powernoodle now have the award :salute:

I will try and award as people finish but if I miss anyone let me know or go and request the award :tu:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,449
« Reply #851 on: October 30, 2020, 05:54:37 PM »
Day 30

Happy Halloween!  Find sometime tonight to carve the pumpkin, gonna I only use the Skeley for half the job, didn't realize how robust is the spine until you use it for carve.  SAK small blade did help with all the tight turns and curves.

If I am not too late, I gonna submit this one for the GAW this month as well. :D

Join Daredevil and Mad Max Challenge in 2021 and get Free magnets!
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
« Reply #852 on: October 30, 2020, 06:32:35 PM »
Powernoodle how did you like carrying the Rx for the month? Can you debrief us with things you like or things you miss?

I mentioned this a little in yesterday's post, but something like the Rebar is about the same size and price of the Skeletool but packs more than twice the number of tools.  So, in my view, one would only carry the Skeletool over the Rebar if 1) the Skeletool's outside open blade overcomes its lack of tools, or 2) the Skeletool has all the tools you need, and you don't really need the Rebar's extra tools, or 3) you just dig the Skeletool - which is a good enough reason by itself.

My preference in this genre is the Spirit, which has a full complement of outside opening tools,  But it weighs 3.7 oz more than the Skeletool so maybe that's not a fair comparison.

Thank you, sire.

:salute: :salute: :salute:

« Reply #853 on: October 30, 2020, 06:32:45 PM »
Should be requestable now :salute:
:cheers: :hatsoff:

« Reply #854 on: October 30, 2020, 06:35:39 PM »

I will try and award as people finish but if I miss anyone let me know or go and request the award :tu:
Thanks! :salute:

« Reply #855 on: October 30, 2020, 06:36:25 PM »
Day 30

(Image removed from quote.)

Happy Halloween!  Find sometime tonight to carve the pumpkin, gonna I only use the Skeley for half the job, didn't realize how robust is the spine until you use it for carve.  SAK small blade did help with all the tight turns and curves.

If I am not too late, I gonna submit this one for the GAW this month as well. :D
Nice pumpkin! :like:

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,415

Nix us

« Reply #856 on: October 30, 2020, 06:37:07 PM »
Nice Jack O'Lantern, comis!  :like:

another rat in a cage
Full Member Posts: 184
« Reply #857 on: October 30, 2020, 06:45:27 PM »
Day 30

Awesome Carving!! :like:
No Life Club Posts: 2,102
Re: Skary Skeletool October Challenge? Day 30
« Reply #858 on: October 30, 2020, 07:10:17 PM »
DAY 30

I can't believe that this is the end of the challenge  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

You people have been great and the pictures and uses have been inspiring  :2tu:

It's been a great opportunity to use my Skele' more that I would normally  :tu:

Thanks to Sos for sorting it and forcing some of us to give up the "usual suspects" (if only for a short while)  ;)

On that note I'll add my last pic' (for now) and say to one and all, cheers and see you on the next one  :pok:

:cheers: :salute:

They don't like it up 'em!

Nix us

« Reply #859 on: October 30, 2020, 07:30:32 PM »
 :iagree:   :like:

another rat in a cage
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,848
« Reply #860 on: October 30, 2020, 07:33:10 PM »
Day 30

Awesome carving job.

You’re in

PowerNoodle
Pauldmmwc
Poncho65
RF52
Antti Lammi
Comis

« Reply #861 on: October 30, 2020, 07:34:06 PM »

Thanks Poncho.
Skary Skeletool October Challenge?
« Reply #862 on: October 30, 2020, 07:41:23 PM »
Day 30
A box from Chewy arrived, so the Skeletool opened it immediately to an impatient dog who could smell the goods i side.  It contained the new cover for Fisher’s cot and some treats.  The Skeletool hammer head came in handy to help tap the corners on tight saving the hand.

Fisher approves of the job.
No Life Club Posts: 2,102
« Reply #863 on: October 30, 2020, 07:47:03 PM »
Day 30
A box from Chewy arrived, so the Skeletool opened it immediately to an impatient dog who could smell the goods i side.  It contained the new cover for Fisher’s cot and some treats.  The Skeletool hammer head came in handy to help tap the corners on tight saving the hand.
:like: That's one happy looking pooch  :tu:

They don't like it up 'em!
« Reply #864 on: October 30, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »
Day 30

Pretty pup!! :like:
« Reply #865 on: October 30, 2020, 08:02:44 PM »
Day 30
Great use :tu:

Nix us

« Reply #866 on: October 30, 2020, 08:13:07 PM »
Fisher seems quite pleased!  :like:

another rat in a cage

Nix us

« Reply #867 on: October 30, 2020, 08:55:12 PM »
Day 30:

This has been a fun challenge. Congratualtions to awl who made this challenge so much fun, kept it interesting along the way, and crossed the finish line.   :clap:  Thanks to Sos24 for kicking this thing off and keeping us in line....for the most part.  ;)   :clap:

I started this challenge a bit ambivalent about the Skeletool and remain the same.

On the one hand, it is hard not to like the Skele. It is a cool looking multitool. It is easy to carry with the integral pocket clip. It isn't too bulky or heavy.

If I think that it is a nice pocket knife, one with a pair of pliers and a few drivers, it is pretty darned good. During this challenge, I most needed a knife and a pair of pliers. The Phillips driver was handy a couple of times. The only thing I really missed was a can opener.....and a pair of scissors. Be that as it may, given my circumstances over the challenge, I never felt deprived.

So....a perfect multitool....right?

Well.....there's the rub: If I start thinking about it as a multitool....it starts to feel a bit thin in the tool selection.

I don't think I did anything with the Skeletool that I couldn't have done with a Deluxe Tinker, Handyman, or SwissChamp. And the Deluxe Tinker is even easier to carry. True, the Skele's pliers are more capable, but for my uses this month...the DT wold have worked as well.

Comparing it to other Leatherman tools, it starts to look downright limited.

The PST is roughly the same size, has better needle nose pliers and more tools. For those of you who like a file....the PST has a decent file. For us awl lovers, the PST has a lame but useful awl. And the PST has a very useful can opener/cap lifter. The Skele's cap lifter is a nice thought, but clumsy to use.

The Skeletool might be a bit easier to carry with its clip and snap link (what is up with that snap link....? anyone actually use that?  :think:), but I am very happy dropping a PST into my pocket. Or using the handy sheath.

The Juice S2 has some serious advantages over the Skeletool, and with only slightly smaller pliers. The Juice is smaller, easier to carry, has scissors (!), a cap lifter/can opener, several drivers, and an outside opening knie blade that is nearly the same length of the Skele's blade. The S2 may be even easier to carry than the Deluxe Tinker.

In addition to being smaller overall, the Juice weighs a little less (on my scale):

In just about every way--size, portability, capability, and even comfort--the Juice S2 takes the win.

So, why own or carry a Skeletool?  :think:

For me...I like the simplicity. For me it's a pocket knife with some pliers. Maybe I don't need more than that in reality. My grandfather got by with a Stockman traditional. He probably would have been tickled with delight with a Skeletool. He had a can opener in the kitchen. He kept files in a tool box. He didn't bother with scissors much. As stated earlier, I never lack for a tool when I needed one.

I also like the ergos. Yes, there are a few sharp edges here and there, but overall the Skele's ergos are quite nice. I find it is a pleasant tool to hold and use. The blade is well designed and functional.

Lastly, I like the fact the the two onboard 2D bits are customizable. If I know that I might need a specific driver for some piece of kit or gear, I can be sure to have the appropriate bit stowed and ready. I can toss a few extra bits into a pocket. So in my mind, there is a bit of additional versatility that the Skele can provide with being able to change bits. (For this challenge though, I just left the Phillips and Flat driver bits in place....don't often need much else.)

So, I come away from this challenge liking the Skele as much as or more than, ever.....but I probably won't carry it much. I like having a wood saw, scissors, and a can opener.

Where's me Rebar X......? 

another rat in a cage
No Life Club Posts: 1,219
« Reply #868 on: October 30, 2020, 09:04:34 PM »
Can’t believe it’s the last day, I will be taking my day 30 shot a little later. Will make it an outdoor pic for my qualification for the very generous give away..

My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.
« Reply #869 on: October 30, 2020, 09:49:06 PM »
Day 30:

This has been a fun challenge. Congratualtions to awl who made this challenge so much fun, kept it interesting along the way, and crossed the finish line.   :clap:  Thanks to Sos24 for kicking this thing off and keeping us in line....for the most part.  ;)   :clap:

I started this challenge a bit ambivalent about the Skeletool and remain the same.

On the one hand, it is hard not to like the Skele. It is a cool looking multitool. It is easy to carry with the integral pocket clip. It isn't too bulky or heavy.

If I think that it is a nice pocket knife, one with a pair of pliers and a few drivers, it is pretty darned good. During this challenge, I most needed a knife and a pair of pliers. The Phillips driver was handy a couple of times. The only thing I really missed was a can opener.....and a pair of scissors. Be that as it may, given my circumstances over the challenge, I never felt deprived.

So....a perfect multitool....right?

Well.....there's the rub: If I start thinking about it as a multitool....it starts to feel a bit thin in the tool selection.

I don't think I did anything with the Skeletool that I couldn't have done with a Deluxe Tinker, Handyman, or SwissChamp. And the Deluxe Tinker is even easier to carry. True, the Skele's pliers are more capable, but for my uses this month...the DT wold have worked as well.

Comparing it to other Leatherman tools, it starts to look downright limited.

The PST is roughly the same size, has better needle nose pliers and more tools. For those of you who like a file....the PST has a decent file. For us awl lovers, the PST has a lame but useful awl. And the PST has a very useful can opener/cap lifter. The Skele's cap lifter is a nice thought, but clumsy to use.

The Skeletool might be a bit easier to carry with its clip and snap link (what is up with that snap link....? anyone actually use that?  :think:), but I am very happy dropping a PST into my pocket. Or using the handy sheath.

The Juice S2 has some serious advantages over the Skeletool, and with only slightly smaller pliers. The Juice is smaller, easier to carry, has scissors (!), a cap lifter/can opener, several drivers, and an outside opening knie blade that is nearly the same length of the Skele's blade. The S2 may be even easier to carry than the Deluxe Tinker.

In addition to being smaller overall, the Juice weighs a little less (on my scale):

In just about every way--size, portability, capability, and even comfort--the Juice S2 takes the win.

So, why own or carry a Skeletool?  :think:

For me...I like the simplicity. For me it's a pocket knife with some pliers. Maybe I don't need more than that in reality. My grandfather got by with a Stockman traditional. He probably would have been tickled with delight with a Skeletool. He had a can opener in the kitchen. He kept files in a tool box. He didn't bother with scissors much. As stated earlier, I never lack for a tool when I needed one.

I also like the ergos. Yes, there are a few sharp edges here and there, but overall the Skele's ergos are quite nice. I find it is a pleasant tool to hold and use. The blade is well designed and functional.

Lastly, I like the fact the the two onboard 2D bits are customizable. If I know that I might need a specific driver for some piece of kit or gear, I can be sure to have the appropriate bit stowed and ready. I can toss a few extra bits into a pocket. So in my mind, there is a bit of additional versatility that the Skele can provide with being able to change bits. (For this challenge though, I just left the Phillips and Flat driver bits in place....don't often need much else.)

So, I come away from this challenge liking the Skele as much as or more than, ever.....but I probably won't carry it much. I like having a wood saw, scissors, and a can opener.

Where's me Rebar X......? 

Great review!! :like: :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $28.00
PayPal Fees: $2.24
Net Balance: $25.76
Below Goal: $274.24