Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skary Skeletool October Challenge?

Sos24 · 927 · 22758

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Skary Skeletool October Challenge?
Reply #870 on: October 30, 2020, 09:56:33 PM
Day 30 of 30

Today used Skeletool to tighten my glasses screws.

I gotta admit this challenge revealed me that i dont really like carrying Skeletool as my only one cause it doesnt have scissors, file or saw. Pairing Skeletool with SAK or other MT would be just good but as alone it doesnt just work.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #871 on: October 30, 2020, 10:09:28 PM
Great review!! :like: :hatsoff:

:hatsoff:  It was a thought provoking challenge.   :tu:

:cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #872 on: October 30, 2020, 10:10:53 PM

I gotta admit this challenge revealed me that i dont really like carrying Skeletool as my only one cause it doesnt have scissors, file or saw. Pairing Skeletool with SAK or other MT would be just good but as alone it doesn't just work.

:iagree:  Paired with a Climber or Huntsman, the Skele becomes a great partner in a sweet combo.  :tu:

us Offline 5S Dude

Reply #873 on: October 30, 2020, 10:12:27 PM
Day 30

Goes without saying, I love this Skeletool my daughter has bought for me!

While there are many Multi-Tools which offer much more functionality, I simply love it’s looks and the way it works, I love goofing around with it and hopefully didn’t ruffle any feathers “defacing” it in the process but I’ve been kinda bored being newly retired.

Having the opportunity of working/retired inside my machine shop, I have most every type of tool I need at my fingertips so my Skele is really just icing on the cake for me. Although it did come in very handy having it along on our last camping trip!

Wonderful to clank pliers with all you fine folks and many thanks to Sos24 for this fun challenge!!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #874 on: October 30, 2020, 10:34:41 PM
Fun shot!   :like:

nz Offline Pauldmmwc

Reply #875 on: October 30, 2020, 11:01:34 PM
Hello day 30.
Thanks to the team for a great challenge and all the great pics.  The Skele was a handy tool although I missed some of the other  features like a file and scissors.
Tomorrow it will be back to the Wave .

:cheers:

20201031_105502-1161x2064.jpg
* 20201031_105502-1161x2064.jpg (Filesize: 125.04 KB)
Semper Sitienti !!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #876 on: October 31, 2020, 01:08:20 AM
I have everyone up to now with a badge that posted the 30 day pic :salute:

Well, I hope I do :whistle: as I said earlier,  let me know if I miss anyone :tu:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #877 on: October 31, 2020, 01:26:20 AM
Day 30

here is my seasonal photo for the comp, please enter me in both thank you.

The skeletool for me has pretty much all i need. i used to carry a wave for work and a juice cs4 for all other times. but changed over to the skeletool and juice c2 which both pretty much have the same tool set apart from the corkscrew.
i dont think i used the scissors or saw on the wave or cs4 when i carried them and have never needed them and not had them since carrying the skeletool and c2.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #878 on: October 31, 2020, 01:30:23 AM
Thanks, Poncho!   :cheers:

us Offline 5S Dude

Reply #879 on: October 31, 2020, 01:38:31 AM

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #880 on: October 31, 2020, 02:19:44 AM
Fisher seems quite pleased!  :like:
He was very happy with both.

Pretty pup!! :like:
Thanks

:like: That's one happy looking pooch  :tu:
Yes he was and is.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #881 on: October 31, 2020, 02:24:16 AM
What I have thus far for the Giveaways

PowerNoodle
Pauldmmwc
Poncho65
RF52
Antti Lammi
Comis
Chip

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #882 on: October 31, 2020, 07:13:53 AM
Nice pumpkin! :like:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Nice Jack O'Lantern, comis!  :like:
Awesome Carving!! :like:
Awesome carving job.

You’re in

PowerNoodle
Pauldmmwc
Poncho65
RF52
Antti Lammi
Comis

:cheers:  and thank you for the chance. :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #883 on: October 31, 2020, 07:22:45 AM
Day 30:

This has been a fun challenge. Congratualtions to awl who made this challenge so much fun, kept it interesting along the way, and crossed the finish line.   :clap:  Thanks to Sos24 for kicking this thing off and keeping us in line....for the most part.  ;)   :clap:

I started this challenge a bit ambivalent about the Skeletool and remain the same.

On the one hand, it is hard not to like the Skele. It is a cool looking multitool. It is easy to carry with the integral pocket clip. It isn't too bulky or heavy.

If I think that it is a nice pocket knife, one with a pair of pliers and a few drivers, it is pretty darned good. During this challenge, I most needed a knife and a pair of pliers. The Phillips driver was handy a couple of times. The only thing I really missed was a can opener.....and a pair of scissors. Be that as it may, given my circumstances over the challenge, I never felt deprived.

So....a perfect multitool....right?

Well.....there's the rub: If I start thinking about it as a multitool....it starts to feel a bit thin in the tool selection.

I don't think I did anything with the Skeletool that I couldn't have done with a Deluxe Tinker, Handyman, or SwissChamp. And the Deluxe Tinker is even easier to carry. True, the Skele's pliers are more capable, but for my uses this month...the DT wold have worked as well.

Comparing it to other Leatherman tools, it starts to look downright limited.

The PST is roughly the same size, has better needle nose pliers and more tools. For those of you who like a file....the PST has a decent file. For us awl lovers, the PST has a lame but useful awl. And the PST has a very useful can opener/cap lifter. The Skele's cap lifter is a nice thought, but clumsy to use.

The Skeletool might be a bit easier to carry with its clip and snap link (what is up with that snap link....? anyone actually use that?  :think:), but I am very happy dropping a PST into my pocket. Or using the handy sheath.

The Juice S2 has some serious advantages over the Skeletool, and with only slightly smaller pliers. The Juice is smaller, easier to carry, has scissors (!), a cap lifter/can opener, several drivers, and an outside opening knie blade that is nearly the same length of the Skele's blade. The S2 may be even easier to carry than the Deluxe Tinker.

In addition to being smaller overall, the Juice weighs a little less (on my scale):

In just about every way--size, portability, capability, and even comfort--the Juice S2 takes the win.

So, why own or carry a Skeletool?  :think:

For me...I like the simplicity. For me it's a pocket knife with some pliers. Maybe I don't need more than that in reality. My grandfather got by with a Stockman traditional. He probably would have been tickled with delight with a Skeletool. He had a can opener in the kitchen. He kept files in a tool box. He didn't bother with scissors much. As stated earlier, I never lack for a tool when I needed one.

I also like the ergos. Yes, there are a few sharp edges here and there, but overall the Skele's ergos are quite nice. I find it is a pleasant tool to hold and use. The blade is well designed and functional.

Lastly, I like the fact the the two onboard 2D bits are customizable. If I know that I might need a specific driver for some piece of kit or gear, I can be sure to have the appropriate bit stowed and ready. I can toss a few extra bits into a pocket. So in my mind, there is a bit of additional versatility that the Skele can provide with being able to change bits. (For this challenge though, I just left the Phillips and Flat driver bits in place....don't often need much else.)

So, I come away from this challenge liking the Skele as much as or more than, ever.....but I probably won't carry it much. I like having a wood saw, scissors, and a can opener.

Where's me Rebar X......? 

This is a great wrap!  I think one of the main factor when considering EDC is weight and dimension, and love the analysis you did right there.

Day 30

Goes without saying, I love this Skeletool my daughter has bought for me!

While there are many Multi-Tools which offer much more functionality, I simply love it’s looks and the way it works, I love goofing around with it and hopefully didn’t ruffle any feathers “defacing” it in the process but I’ve been kinda bored being newly retired.

Having the opportunity of working/retired inside my machine shop, I have most every type of tool I need at my fingertips so my Skele is really just icing on the cake for me. Although it did come in very handy having it along on our last camping trip!

Wonderful to clank pliers with all you fine folks and many thanks to Sos24 for this fun challenge!!

(Image removed from quote.)

Excellent setup, definitely looks like a fun house to "trick or treat".  Mrs. always tell me life is all about rituals, and it is true.

Day 30 of 30

Today used Skeletool to tighten my glasses screws.

(Image removed from quote.)

I gotta admit this challenge revealed me that i dont really like carrying Skeletool as my only one cause it doesnt have scissors, file or saw. Pairing Skeletool with SAK or other MT would be just good but as alone it doesnt just work.

Only Tools Matters
Like what Nix said earlier in his review, I think I share the same sentiment like yours.  I like the pliers, but it were to be even lighter, it would be a perfect companion to a SAK.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #884 on: October 31, 2020, 08:00:56 AM
Day 31

First, I like to use this chance to thank Sos24 for hosting this challenge! :hatsoff:   I have collected the Skeletool for the longest time, but never did once actually carry it for EDC.  Thru this challenge, I really did get a chance to know the tool better, and I must admit I was pretty ignorant about various models and modification that could apply to make this tool even more functional.  It's a real eye opener for me.  I only wish LM would watch this thread, and the hammer/pry bar attachment with the 1/4 bit hole is such a natural extension of this tool, it'd be great to incorporate that in. :pok:

Piggy back on Nix review/comment, I too agree the choice of tools and weight maybe some of the limiting factors to the Skeley tool, and I am thinking, back in the days, maybe that was LM original idea of this tool--something simple, lightweight and essential.  With all the ongoing ultralight trend in knife industry, this has the potential to be a stellar product if they could include the attachment and making it a lot more lightweight than it is now or somehow re-engineer this tool to be sub-100g, either way, that'd be a perfect standalone tool or a companion to a SAK or the LM T series.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #885 on: October 31, 2020, 09:27:43 AM
Well that went fast.  Thanks to everyone for participating.  I really appreciate all the pictures and discussion.  I really like all the wrap-up observations and thoughts.  It is interesting to read where the Skeletool falls in people needs and wants for a tool. 

Thanks to Steve for making the badge and Poncho for awarding it to everyone.  Also, thanks to 5S Dude for contributing to the GAW., which if you wanting to participate in but have not entered you have a little more time (about 8 hours). 

se Offline RF52

Reply #886 on: October 31, 2020, 10:01:57 AM
Well that went fast.  Thanks to everyone for participating.  I really appreciate all the pictures and discussion.  I really like all the wrap-up observations and thoughts.  It is interesting to read where the Skeletool falls in people needs and wants for a tool. 

Thanks to Steve for making the badge and Poncho for awarding it to everyone.  Also, thanks to 5S Dude for contributing to the GAW., which if you wanting to participate in but have not entered you have a little more time (about 8 hours).
Thanks for hosting and the generous GAW :hatsoff:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #887 on: October 31, 2020, 10:03:50 AM
They don't like it up 'em!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #888 on: October 31, 2020, 10:12:52 AM

:iagree: Definitely appreciative to the generosity and the help!  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #889 on: October 31, 2020, 12:28:43 PM
 :iagree: it was fun but at times challenging (which is the point to a challenge I guess :think: :whistle: :D )

Great bunch of people to have been in this with :tu: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #890 on: October 31, 2020, 12:29:49 PM
I now have chip badged up :D :tu:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Re: Skary Skeletool October Challenge? Day 31
Reply #891 on: October 31, 2020, 03:08:40 PM
DAY 31 (Happy all Hallows' eve)  >:D

Well, apart from the usual doom & gloom of COVID  ::) , today bought the very sad news with the passing of;

Sir. Sean Connery (007 license to kill)  :cry:

To many he was the epitomy of Bond; when we still had fun with the role  :dunno:

We all have our own favourite (I shall not speak  :-[ )

However, with all due deference afforded to an absolute legend of the screen (who was forever Scottish)

The CX posed with a glass of Scotlands finest  :tu:

The names Connery; Sir Sean Connery  :salute:
Skary Skeletool Day 31a.jpg
* Skary Skeletool Day 31a.jpg (Filesize: 217.47 KB)

se Offline RF52

Reply #892 on: October 31, 2020, 03:09:34 PM
DAY 31 (Happy all Hallows' eve)  >:D

Well, apart from the usual doom & gloom of COVID  ::) , today bought the very sad news with the passing of;

Sir. Sean Connery (007 license to kill)  :cry:

To many he was the epitomy of Bond; when we still had fun with the role  :dunno:

We all have our own favourite (I shall not speak  :-[ )

However, with all due deference afforded to an absolute legend of the screen (who was forever Scottish)

The CX posed with a glass of Scotlands finest  :tu:

The names Connery; Sir Sean Connery  :salute:
:salute:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #893 on: October 31, 2020, 03:26:37 PM

Goldfinger.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #894 on: October 31, 2020, 03:43:26 PM
I now have chip badged up :D :tu:

Thank you poncho, it’s very much appreciated  :cheers:

I was sad to see Sean Connery had passed, he was my favourite bond and loved time bandits as a kid.

Sadly I am at an age now where the people who I enjoyed watching as a kid are slowly passing away.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #895 on: October 31, 2020, 04:36:30 PM

I was sad to see Sean Connery had passed, he was my favourite bond and loved time bandits as a kid.

Sadly I am at an age now where the people who I enjoyed watching as a kid are slowly passing away.
:facepalm: Sadly, I have to agree. A number of my childhood heroes are dropping like flies  :cry:

BUGGER!!!! the world is a greyer place without them!  :td:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #896 on: October 31, 2020, 05:46:55 PM

Just got the news from reading this thread and thought April fool came too early this year, I would always remembered him as one of my favorite Bonds.  That's sad news indeed.

us Offline 5S Dude

Reply #897 on: October 31, 2020, 05:49:55 PM
:facepalm: Sadly, I have to agree. A number of my childhood heroes are dropping like flies  :cry:

BUGGER!!!! the world is a greyer place without them!  :td:

Long live Bond; James Bond :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #898 on: October 31, 2020, 06:16:49 PM
So sad to hear about Sean Connery passing  :-\

RIP Sean Connery  :salute:

us Offline Sos24

Skary Skeletool October Challenge?
Reply #899 on: October 31, 2020, 08:50:22 PM
Happy Halloween!  Congratulations on the end of the Skeletool Challenge...

Now for the Giveaways

I used the Ace through 7 of for determining the winners, assigned as such:

1 - PowerNoodle
2 - Pauldmmwc
3 - Poncho65
4 - RF52
5 - Antti Lammi
6 - Comis
7 - Chip

I mixed the cards up and then had my wife pull the cards.
The winners

The Winner of the Metro Hammer/Wedge adapter is
Show content

Antti Lammi
The winner of the 1/4"-Hex to 1/4" square drive (bit driver) from 5S Dude is
Show content

Poncho65

(Poncho - Send your mailing address to 5S Dude)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%