Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skary Skeletool October Challenge?

Sos24 · 927 · 21077

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Skary Skeletool October Challenge?
Reply #90 on: October 03, 2020, 12:23:00 PM
Day 2
The Skele helped open a package, hammer a raised nail on a picnic table bench and cut up a snack.
(Image removed from quote.)
Good stuff there Sos  :tu: A true 3 in 1 usage for your funky Skele  :clap:
They don't like it up 'em!

se Offline RF52

Reply #91 on: October 03, 2020, 12:57:47 PM
Day 2
The Skele helped open a package, hammer a raised nail on a picnic table bench and cut up a snack.
That looks tasty :like:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #92 on: October 03, 2020, 01:11:16 PM
Day 2
Peanut butter with apple?  :think:   That skeley is totally pimped out!  :like:

Hello to day 3.
It was a day of driving and entertaining the family so not much work done. At the end of the day it was time  for more of the same but different. 
Will try for some action shots tomorrow.
 :cheers:

:D

Day 3:

No use for the Skeletool so far, needed the Rebar to fix a lamp and couldn't open it with the Skeletool. The Rebar had the perfect driver for the lamp fixture.(Image removed from quote.)

Since now Juice has been discontinuted, does anyone felt like the skeley could be a pretty good companion tool to regular SAK carry?  I pretty much has everything I need on a 91mm, but Skeley offers exactly what might be missing, the pliers and swappable bits.

se Offline RF52

Reply #93 on: October 03, 2020, 01:12:39 PM
Peanut butter with apple?  :think:   That skeley is totally pimped out!  :like:

:D

Since now Juice has been discontinuted, does anyone felt like the skeley could be a pretty good companion tool to regular SAK carry?  I pretty much has everything I need on a 91mm, but Skeley offers exactly what might be missing, the pliers and swappable bits.
I think for the pliers alone it would be a good compliment to a SAK :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #94 on: October 03, 2020, 01:15:13 PM
Day 3

Skeley helped with the flower arrangement today, I kinda miss the scissors on 91mm which might be a more suitable tool.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: October 03, 2020, 02:01:16 PM
DAY 3
Today the postwoman bought me a small package from Hong Kong which was very much a surprise. I immediately thought i must be buying things in my sleep now as i had no recollection of this purchase.

I used the skeletool to open it up and i was pleasantly surprised by its contents.

So thank you comis and MTO, its much appreciated :tu:

My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #96 on: October 03, 2020, 02:37:49 PM
Cool, Chip.  Its always fun to get a package in the mail and not know what is in it.

Powernoodle Day 3

Maybe when I run out of things to do, I'll go back through all of the Challenges and count the number of sunflower seed pics.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #97 on: October 03, 2020, 03:08:43 PM
Lovely shot, PN.  :tu:

Sunflowseeds shots are always nice.  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #98 on: October 03, 2020, 03:18:18 PM

:iagree:   I think that the Skele is a nice tool to augment a good SAK. Maybe a 91/93mm with scissors. Maybe an Executive.

Of course....since the SAK might cover most of the other needs.....why not just keep a small pair of pliers in you pocket or bag?    :think:

The bit driver feature might make a difference. I typically do not EDC a bit kit. So I'm left with the two bits the Skele can carry. 

If one is UK based.....the extra, locking knife becomes a liability....?   :dunno:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #99 on: October 03, 2020, 04:33:44 PM
DAY 3
Today the postwoman bought me a small package from Hong Kong which was very much a surprise. I immediately thought i must be buying things in my sleep now as i had no recollection of this purchase.

I used the skeletool to open it up and i was pleasantly surprised by its contents.

So thank you comis and MTO, its much appreciated :tu:

That's awesome!  :cheers: :D

Cool, Chip.  Its always fun to get a package in the mail and not know what is in it.

Powernoodle Day 3

Maybe when I run out of things to do, I'll go back through all of the Challenges and count the number of sunflower seed pics.

Honestly I didn't know Skeley comes in that many favors, this one is really photogenetic. :like:

[/size]
[/size]
:iagree:   I think that the Skele is a nice tool to augment a good SAK. Maybe a 91/93mm with scissors. Maybe an Executive.

Of course....since the SAK might cover most of the other needs.....why not just keep a small pair of pliers in you pocket or bag?    :think:

The bit driver feature might make a difference. I typically do not EDC a bit kit. So I'm left with the two bits the Skele can carry. 

If one is UK based.....the extra, locking knife becomes a liability....?   :dunno:

[/size]
[/size][size=78%] [/size]
[/size]Very true, that's probably why the kniper small pliers is a decent companion to SAK as well.  In some way, the combo is even more effective than just a regular MT.  Good point on the UK market, come to think about it, since most LM tools have a locking blade, do they even have much presence in UK?[size=78%]

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #100 on: October 03, 2020, 04:35:23 PM
Good question. Same for Vic, I suppose....  :dunno:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: October 03, 2020, 04:47:07 PM
SAKs are ok in the uk as the law states you can carry a non locking folding knife with a a blade under 3 inches. But anything longer, fixed or locking you need good reason.

My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #102 on: October 03, 2020, 05:09:24 PM
Ja. But the Vic SwissTool and Spirit have locking blades, right?

I think comis and I are wondering if the UK's laws impact sales of those, and the similar LM's. Or do people have sufficient cause to carry that sales are still good in the UK.

I awl-ways carry a pliers-based MT when going on motorcycle rides. Would that constitute a "reason" to carry a MT with a locking blade in the UK?  Or is it awl in the eyes of the individual officers?   :think:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #103 on: October 03, 2020, 05:12:21 PM

You are quite correct Nix & Comis  :salute:

Locking blades are indeed a bit of a liability over here, but only if required to account for them  :whistle:

However, OHO is not an issue in itself, as long as the cutting edge is less than 7.62cm (3 inches in old money)

Therefore, if I want to chance carrying my Skele then the OHO/Blade length are not the issue, it's the lock.

Essentially, you need lawful authority or reasonable excuse to carry one, regardless of blade length.

(on that basis even the Squirt would fall foul if its blade locked) 

Leatherman, et-al do have a presence here albeit, smaller than in the US or elsewhere.

Moreover, our knife/blade/pointed articles laws mean you'd be lucky to find a non-speSmurfpillst store selling them.

You would certainly not find them in your local supermarket as ours don't have that type of outdoor dept.

Count your blessings; Rest Of The World  :pok:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 06:32:17 PM by SurgeUk »

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #104 on: October 03, 2020, 05:38:10 PM
Ja. But the Vic SwissTool and Spirit have locking blades, right?

I think comis and I are wondering if the UK's laws impact sales of those, and the similar LM's. Or do people have sufficient cause to carry that sales are still good in the UK.

I awl-ways carry a pliers-based MT when going on motorcycle rides. Would that constitute a "reason" to carry a MT with a locking blade in the UK?  Or is it awl in the eyes of the individual officers?   :think:
I don't doubt that our laws impact the sales of these as you can't go hands on and buy on impulse etc.

If I want a new MT/SAK I'd pretty much have to buy on-line and return it if it's not suitable.

Reasonable excuse is down to circumstances and credibility i.e;

A locking blade, if you're on a a hike/fishing etc may be accepted as reasonable, but if you're wandering around a car-park or high crime area with a MT/SAK (regardless of locking blade etc.) then you could expect an interview without biscuits.

I've arrested people with small blades (locking & non locking) because their reason for carrying such was not considered "reasonable" IMO

The most infamous excuse is "self-defence" It is not legal in the UK to carry a weapon (in this case a knife/blade) in anticipation of attack. It matters not if the article itself is otherwise legal (under 3 inches/non-locking) It is the intended/actual use that renders it unlawful.

Once arrested they can then offer their defence in court in the last two scenarios.

It is difficult to explain this if you aren't used to legal terminology (as used here in the UK) Perhaps the same way I'm in awe of members posting pics of their sidearms but not being able to carry any sort of blade over 2 inches, due to local laws  :dunno: (we only have national laws on these matters)

Simple really  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 06:31:38 PM by SurgeUk »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #105 on: October 03, 2020, 05:41:16 PM
 :rofl:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Re: Skary Skeletool October Challenge? Day 3
Reply #106 on: October 03, 2020, 06:38:23 PM
DAY 3

A bit of a slow day here, despite being off. It hasn't stopped raining for the past 36 hours (London anyway  :dunno: )

So, staying with the water based theme, the CX opened a couple of packs of designer stuff for Mrs Surge  :D
Skary Skeletool Day 3a.jpg
* Skary Skeletool Day 3a.jpg (Filesize: 249.74 KB)

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #107 on: October 03, 2020, 06:58:01 PM
I think that the Skele is a nice tool to augment a good SAK. Maybe a 91/93mm with scissors.

Yeah I totally agree with that.  If we are keeping it real, I generally prefer smooth jaws like you have on the pocketable 5" Knipex Pliers Wrench, so it doesn't chew up the nut, bolt, etc.  It is very rare that I actually need EDC pliers, and I'm willing to find "real" pliers when I need them to get good leverage, etc.  I don't find MT pliers all that great, but I do like having them in my pocket on the 1 in 9 zillion chance I get trapped in an elevator and have to plier my way to safety.  Everything we do in life implicates a cost/benefit analysis, and the benefit of MT pliers in the pocket certainly outweighs the cost.  This is especially true with a thin, light weight MT like the Skeletool. 

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: October 03, 2020, 07:05:05 PM
Well I carry a juice c2 most of the time Because its not ilegal to do so and that would include a car park or high crime area and if challenged by an officer would simply state its my pocket knife and occasionally comes in handy. Because that’s exactly why I carry it and I would tell the same to a judge if I had to.

But if I was going to a pub (remember them) or night club I would not. As I think they are places were common sense tells me it’s best to leave my pocket knife at home.

Also I own a couple of very nice Spydie ukpks but do not carry them as sadly to a no n knife carrying person they look less utilitarian and more aggressive and despite being uk legal I could see them facilitating (wrongly as I dont carry a knife as a weapon)a trip to the Local police station (remember them) if I was for any reason searched.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #109 on: October 03, 2020, 07:59:46 PM
Well I carry a juice c2 most of the time Because its not ilegal to do so and that would include a car park or high crime area and if challenged by an officer would simply state its my pocket knife and occasionally comes in handy. Because that’s exactly why I carry it and I would tell the same to a judge if I had to.
But if I was going to a pub (remember them) or night club I would not. As I think they are places were common sense tells me it’s best to leave my pocket knife at home.
Also I own a couple of very nice Spydie ukpks but do not carry them as sadly to a no n knife carrying person they look less utilitarian and more aggressive and despite being uk legal I could see them facilitating (wrongly as I dont carry a knife as a weapon)a trip to the Local police station (remember them) if I was for any reason searched.
That's precisely the point I'm making. The item itself is not illegal, per se, rather the circumstances and reason offered for carrying it. Obviously we are talking about people seen/found in suspicious circumstances, not your usual punter returning directly to their vehicle etc.

Regardless, If I challenged them, for whatever reason, and was not happy with the answer and or the person had previous for similar then they were coming in. After all, the grounds for arrest are lower than grounds for charge, which in turn are lower than those for prosecution and subsequently, lower than grounds for conviction, not-with-standing any other offences such as "going equipped" which may need to be considered.

People can always "tell it to the judge" and if they agree with them, then fine  :tu:

I have often taken my PX/FX to the pub but not the type that require door staff with a search, prior to entry, policy. I wouldn't be found (willingly) in such establishments and my clubbing days have long since passed  :rofl:

I too have a UKPK and agree with you on the impact factor it has on the uninitiated, despite being perfectly legal.

That said, have you seen the Lansky world knife  :ahhh (I had one, it was awful  :rant: )

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #110 on: October 03, 2020, 10:42:31 PM
Day 3 of 30

Today used Skeletool to sharpen my timber pen.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #111 on: October 03, 2020, 10:55:11 PM
Day 03:

Mail call!

se Offline RF52

Reply #112 on: October 03, 2020, 10:58:40 PM
Day 03:

Mail call!

What did you get? :popcorn:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #113 on: October 03, 2020, 10:59:56 PM
What did you get? :popcorn:

Yeah, wotsit  :pok:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #114 on: October 03, 2020, 11:05:46 PM
Magnets......  ;)

us Offline 5S Dude

Reply #115 on: October 03, 2020, 11:43:36 PM
 Holly cow that Red RX in the sunflower seeds looks like a calendar photo!! :hatsoff: 

My Skele reminding me how much I hate plumbing jobs....

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #116 on: October 04, 2020, 01:40:45 AM
Another great day of pics  :tu: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #117 on: October 04, 2020, 01:42:46 AM
Day 3 of 30

Not much MT use today :ahhh so I carried my regular Skeley that was signed by Tim L himself 8) and I also won this particular Skeley around 11 years ago here on MTO during a Challenge/Competition for reviews back then :tu:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: October 04, 2020, 02:17:13 AM
Day 3 of 30

Not much MT use today :ahhh so I carried my regular Skeley that was signed by Tim L himself 8) and I also won this particular Skeley around 11 years ago here on MTO during a Challenge/Competition for reviews back then :tu:

That is really cool, unless Tim ever holidays in Watford a signed tool is well beyond my grasp.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #119 on: October 04, 2020, 03:08:42 AM
Thanks chip :hatsoff: you never know,  Tim does like to travel ;) :cheers: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30