Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Keychain tool conundrum 495

Newbie Posts: 35
Keychain tool conundrum
« on: September 24, 2020, 08:42:22 PM »
Hello People,

I am looking for some advice. I am trying to decide on a keychain tool for the next years. I started in the late 60's with this pearl/bone handled mini knife with a blade and screwdriver/bottle opener which lasted for many years [along with a CK penknife EDC]. Next in around 1990 my local Snap-On man gave me a Victorinox Snap-On embossed 58mm Classic tool. This has been a wonderful tool lasting 30 years. A great manicure tool. I have only ever had to replace one scale in all that time. But recently the silver embossing is getting worn off and not being replaceable I am retiring it. I will miss the file/nail cleaning blade. I have been using an up to date LED 58mm Classic but I am not so keen on the square ended nail file/cleaning blade and frankly the LED is useless.
So down to my choices. I have a Wenger Swiss Clipper [Nail clip 580], I do love the Wenger quality. I think many were better designs than Victorinox. I also have a superb Kowell MC-200 Multi nail clipper tool. This is beautifully made, well designed, much thinner and I suspect every bit as good quality as the Wenger.

What do you think?

Thoughts for the day:
For Mechanics - "Amateurs built the Ark.....Professionals built the Titanic!"  - British comedian
For Bodyworkers - "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines." - Enzo Ferrari
For Drivers - "Hey, let's be careful out there" - Sgt Esterhaus
For Me - "Brain the size of a planet and they ask me to park the car" - Marvin the paranoid android
For All - "Live long and prosper" - Mr Spock.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,376 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Keychain tool conundrum
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 10:12:45 PM »
I'd say go a week with one and then another week with the other one. After that, which one did you feel more confortable with?

Rotate them for awhile. Your favourite will emerge naturally.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

No Life Club Posts: 2,418
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 10:58:10 PM »
I've had the same conundrum recently.

Among the choices that you have pictured, I would go with the Kowell because it's smaller.  I have a Gerber that looks the same. 

I ended up chosing nothing, myself.  I decided to pocket carry a LM Micra at work.  Anywhere else I just use the SAK that I'm carrying.  But at work, the Micra is a better choice, so that comes out of my pocket first. 
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 51,232
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 11:41:33 PM »
Get a Vic Executive   :tu:
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 11:49:31 PM »
Get a Vic Executive   :tu:

That sounds like a great choice   :tu:
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 63,188
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 01:59:12 AM »
The Executive has been a SAK that has been in my pocket for the majority of over 10 years :salute: I really do like it and it fulfills many of my cutting tasks for such a small tool :like:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,822 Bon Journee!!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 03:55:18 AM »
I'll third that motion, and add the possibility of a Wenger Pocket Tool Chest.

Barry
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 63,188
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 04:04:14 AM »
I do love the PTC as well :cheers: but they are getting increasingly hard to find, does Vic make a version of this one now as well :think:
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,666
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 04:08:38 AM »
PTC is my choice.   :tu:  If you are solely debating between what you have then pftsantos has a good idea of carry and see what feels right.  The best tool always seems to emerge in a scenario like that.  Good luck.   

Esse Quam Videri
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,796 Born to multitask.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 12:54:52 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  :cheers:
If you think they are both good enough, they probably are. Rotating both is a good suggestion. After a while you may realize one is better than the other.

I like the Victorinox Manager for keys. It's got the basic tools I need, plus a pen. And I carry dedicated nail-clippers.
No Life Club Posts: 1,804
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 01:09:24 PM »
+1 for the manager, having a pen is handy and just enough of the basics to be useful. I’ve got a mini champ but prefer the smaller manager on my keys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Global Moderator No Life Club Posts: 3,538
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 11:42:32 AM »
Manager or Rambler are great - If you are branching out - It's brilliant to have the combi tool
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 03:31:09 PM »
Fiddling with the MiniChamp... The scissors just don't do it for me.  :facepalm:. The blade is ok, but overall ... I'm not so sure. I want to like the 58mm ... But my other tools do the job better.  :pommel:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $20.00
PayPal Fees: $1.34
Net Balance: $18.66
Below Goal: $281.34
Site Currency: USD
 6%