Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who’ve you brought into the ways of the knights?

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Who’ve you brought into the ways of the knights?
on: September 25, 2020, 10:42:05 AM
Been working from home for 6 months now but still go into work in town a couple of days a month to keep an eye on the place and do a few jobs.
Normally it’s just me but had to meet a colleague today to fix her laptop. Over lunch we were chatting about what we’ve been up to, she does a lot of surfing at Bondi, I do a bit of bush walking in my area etc.
Got onto the subject of SAK’s and my collecting, she looked a bit puzzled so got out the classic on my keychain and showed her. Showed her the tools, knife, scissors etc and she said that’s great reckon I’d like one. So showed her the models online, she took one look at the alox and seemed really taken with it.
Next thing she said where do I get one so we got onto eBay and she ordered herself a classic alox and is thinking about a manager to add to it.
Then I told her about the pioneer x winter magic and coloured alox, her eyes lit up and she was off to investigate, think we’ve a new addition to our ranks :nice:

So what stories do you have to tell fellow knights?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Re: Who’ve you brought into the ways of the knights?
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 01:03:13 PM
I know it wasn't one, but that sounds like the perfect first date to me :dd:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 01:34:18 PM
Haha shhhh :blush:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 03:11:55 PM

:iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 04:31:15 PM

Don't tell Echotech, but...

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline Echotech

Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 10:40:05 PM
Don't tell Echotech, but...

(Image removed from quote.)

:D :D
:D  :whistle:

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 01:55:57 PM
 :tu: :dunno: :whistle:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 02:40:32 PM
 :think:

Nobody  :-\

And I've certainly tried.  People have a habit of doing what they are going to do.  If they're doing something new, they'll do what they think they are supposed to do... despite what you tell them they are really should do. 

So I've gifted SAKs to people that I try to bring in to the fold. 

The guy I go camping with that opens packets and unties knots with his car keys... I gave him a Huntsman.  He looked at it for a second and  ???  The Huntsman spends the next two weeks attached to his car keys before being relegated to his desk drawer, never to be seen again.   "It's too heavy for my keys" he says.
"Just keep it in your pocket"
"But it has a keyring"
 :rant:

The guy who had a SAK as a kid but stopped carrying one because the blade doesn't lock... I get him a Nomad.
It's in his car.

:facepalm:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 03:02:49 PM
:think:

Nobody  :-\

And I've certainly tried.  People have a habit of doing what they are going to do.  If they're doing something new, they'll do what they think they are supposed to do... despite what you tell them they are really should do. 

So I've gifted SAKs to people that I try to bring in to the fold. 

The guy I go camping with that opens packets and unties knots with his car keys... I gave him a Huntsman.  He looked at it for a second and  ???  The Huntsman spends the next two weeks attached to his car keys before being relegated to his desk drawer, never to be seen again.   "It's too heavy for my keys" he says.
"Just keep it in your pocket"
"But it has a keyring"
 :rant:

The guy who had a SAK as a kid but stopped carrying one because the blade doesn't lock... I get him a Nomad.
It's in his car.

:facepalm:
Ain’t that the way EB! :facepalm:
My colleague above is a rare case I think.
Good mate of mine has a few SAK’s had them a while. So what does he have in his car, some really cheapo smurf LM copy that wouldn’t last 10 minutes if you actually tried using it for anything, to be fair at least he has that. I’ve gifted him a few good bits and pieces but he leaves them at home :ahhh :twak:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 03:18:01 PM
Ain’t that the way EB! :facepalm:
My colleague above is a rare case I think.
Good mate of mine has a few SAK’s had them a while. So what does he have in his car, some really cheapo smurf LM copy that wouldn’t last 10 minutes if you actually tried using it for anything, to be fair at least he has that. I’ve gifted him a few good bits and pieces but he leaves them at home :ahhh :twak:

Reminds me of the beginning of the movie "127 Hours" when Aron is looking for his SAK while he's packing...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 03:37:34 PM
I got my partner into tools as well as her son.  They were both shown the way of the Knights but they prefer more modern blades.  I've given a SAK to her younger sons Scout leader but he never seemed to carry it  :facepalm:.  I feel a SAK is something someone takes to or not.  They know upon their first handling of it they like it.  I wont however spreading the SAK love.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 03:55:55 PM
I got my partner into tools as well as her son.  They were both shown the way of the Knights but they prefer more modern blades.  I've given a SAK to her younger sons Scout leader but he never seemed to carry it  :facepalm:.  I feel a SAK is something someone takes to or not.  They know upon their first handling of it they like it.  I wont however spreading the SAK love.   

The trouble is, I think it takes a "challenge" or two to really get hooked on SAKs. I've had a couple during my more impressionable years.  One was when I did everything with a lockback, and I happened to have both in my pocket... Another was when I had a LM Wave and a SAK.

Which gives me an idea for a challenge.... :climber:

The Great SAK Faceoff.  For this challenge, we carry two tools ... One has to be a SAK, and the other can be anything... From a single blade folding knife to a full sized MT.  Since you get to pick two, I'd say an additional rule is that you can't switch mid challenge.  The daily post would be a picture of which tool you used, and why you chose that one for the task.  Quick one handed opening or strong pliers are perfectly reasonable explanations.  There's no pressure to use the SAK over the other tool.  It's an opportunity to see what really works for you within some constraints.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 08:44:12 PM
The trouble is, I think it takes a "challenge" or two to really get hooked on SAKs. I've had a couple during my more impressionable years.  One was when I did everything with a lockback, and I happened to have both in my pocket... Another was when I had a LM Wave and a SAK.

The Great SAK Faceoff.  For this challenge, we carry two tools ... One has to be a SAK, and the other can be anything... From a single blade folding knife to a full sized MT.  Since you get to pick two, I'd say an additional rule is that you can't switch mid challenge.  The daily post would be a picture of which tool you used, and why you chose that one for the task.  Quick one handed opening or strong pliers are perfectly reasonable explanations.  There's no pressure to use the SAK over the other tool.  It's an opportunity to see what really works for you within some constraints.
:like: :iagree: :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

au Offline Echotech

Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 12:48:12 AM
I feel a SAK is something someone takes to or not.  They know upon their first handling of it they like it.  I wont however spreading the SAK love.   

Agree Aloha, there’s a lot of options out there these days, from carrying nothing at all up to the big folders and even fixed blades via LM and other MT’s, even keyports etc.
With a SAK it just feels right from the word go for us devotees I suppose. Although I say that I was a LM fan for years (still am) and had a SAK or two but always felt I needed a PBMT, when it occurred to me I hardly used them outside of home and was lugging weight around unnecessarily the SAK just felt so right in the hand and pocket
:climber: :cheers:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #14 on: September 27, 2020, 12:50:57 AM

Sounds like a great idea :agree: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 07:12:30 PM
I meant to say,

I won't STOP spreading the SAK love/bug.   :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 08:34:22 PM
I've given Classics to a few people who appreciate them. I gave my boss a Forester for his birthday. He carries it all the time and tells me how he comes up with off-label uses for some of the tools.

No one though has gone on to buy an additional SAK. Last week, my boss and I were cutting label slots in some plant pot rims. With my Camper's small blade, it was a breeze. Noticing the boss struggling with the big Forester blade I threw him the Swisschamp I had in another pocket. "Two knives!", he exclaimed. "How extravagant!"  He knows I'm a an enthusiast.  :D
Rambler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: September 28, 2020, 08:38:11 PM
I love it,  "Two knives!", he exclaimed. "How extravagant!"  :D

The other day I set out for some errands.  I have my John Muir Quote Classic with me along with my Case Trapper, Squirt, and for good measure my Explorer.  I often wondered if I was stopped for any reason what the officer would think  :dunno:.  I don't worry about getting stopped but its a funny thought I have from time to time.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kraken

Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 09:02:36 PM
I wouldn't say he's fully initiated in to the ways of the knights, but he's certainly in training; my 7 yr. old. I've kept a CyberTool 41 with sapphire scales in the kitchen drawer and it's my go-to for small household chores. When he was a toddler he would always ask if I needed 'the blue knife' and I'd let him get it for me. Then, after the work was finished, he'd ask me about all the tools and how they worked. He's seen me use my EDC Explorer countless times, at home and while out and about and my Swiss Champ in my workshop and around the yard. This past spring I got him his own Evolution S17 and we had several safety training sessions as well as how to use each tool. We've used that to make home made slingshots, a bow, arrows and a fishing rod. Whenever we spend time outside, even if we're not going in to the woods for a hike, he always asks if he can bring his Swiss Army Knife. I'm trying to teach him by example that each tool on a SAK can have more than one use if you're careful and creative.

:climber:

Semper Fortis

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 09:47:49 PM
I wouldn't say he's fully initiated in to the ways of the knights, but he's certainly in training; my 7 yr. old. I've kept a CyberTool 41 with sapphire scales in the kitchen drawer and it's my go-to for small household chores. When he was a toddler he would always ask if I needed 'the blue knife' and I'd let him get it for me. Then, after the work was finished, he'd ask me about all the tools and how they worked. He's seen me use my EDC Explorer countless times, at home and while out and about and my Swiss Champ in my workshop and around the yard. This past spring I got him his own Evolution S17 and we had several safety training sessions as well as how to use each tool. We've used that to make home made slingshots, a bow, arrows and a fishing rod. Whenever we spend time outside, even if we're not going in to the woods for a hike, he always asks if he can bring his Swiss Army Knife. I'm trying to teach him by example that each tool on a SAK can have more than one use if you're careful and creative.

:climber:
Great story, a knight in training indeed.
Thanks for sharing!

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

au Offline Echotech

Reply #20 on: September 29, 2020, 12:19:59 AM
Thanks for sharing!

:Agree: definitely a good Knight in the making :salute:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #21 on: September 29, 2020, 12:22:57 AM
Great stories all and sounds like some real ingenuity happening even from the non SAK addicts…or are they secret addicts :think: :dunno: :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 03:59:47 PM
Thanks for sharing!

+1

Have him try to use a few of the tools, while you supervise. That's a way to learn how to use and respect them, while paying attention to safety.

:cheers: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Kraken

Reply #23 on: September 29, 2020, 04:40:55 PM
+1

Have him try to use a few of the tools, while you supervise. That's a way to learn how to use and respect them, while paying attention to safety.

:cheers: :tu:

Absolutely. His EvoGrip 17 stays in my room, in a box where I store my SAKs and only comes out when I'm with him to supervise.  He loves the scissors and the saw and wants to use them every chance he gets. I showed him how to use the can opener and had him try it out when we first got it, but haven't had much of a chance for the other tools...yet.
Semper Fortis

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: September 29, 2020, 04:43:19 PM
 :hatsoff: Well done Kraken. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kraken

Reply #25 on: September 29, 2020, 10:11:55 PM
:hatsoff: Well done Kraken.

Thanks Aloha!  :salute:
Semper Fortis

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 03:02:16 AM
Absolutely. His EvoGrip 17 stays in my room, in a box where I store my SAKs and only comes out when I'm with him to supervise.  He loves the scissors and the saw and wants to use them every chance he gets. I showed him how to use the can opener and had him try it out when we first got it, but haven't had much of a chance for the other tools...yet.

Well, get some small projects, with flat head screws, some cans of paint that need to be pryed open, some cardboard that needs cutting...

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Kraken

Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 03:55:29 AM
Well, get some small projects, with flat head screws, some cans of paint that need to be pryed open, some cardboard that needs cutting...

:pok: :pok:

That's a great idea! :hatsoff:
Semper Fortis

au Offline Echotech

Reply #28 on: October 02, 2020, 10:07:00 AM
Love it, some great stories and ideas all :hats off:

Another Friday and I think another convert today. Chatting to my boss on the phone today and managed to drop SAK’s into the conversation, as you do!

She said, tell me more, what do you like about them etc.
So I ended up sending her a link to the pioneer x winter magic and explained how I was really looking forward to it arriving, that it’s a bit special etc

She was immediately interested and reckoned it would make a great Christmas present for her son, I of course agreed.

Anyway we’re chatting away about work and asked her if she was still going to order one, to which she replied, oh while we’ve been talking I’ve ordered two, one for my son and one for me, always wanted a SAK but didn’t know what to buy. :climber:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: October 02, 2020, 12:39:21 PM
Love it, some great stories and ideas all :hats off:

Another Friday and I think another convert today. Chatting to my boss on the phone today and managed to drop SAK’s into the conversation, as you do!

She said, tell me more, what do you like about them etc.
So I ended up sending her a link to the pioneer x winter magic and explained how I was really looking forward to it arriving, that it’s a bit special etc

She was immediately interested and reckoned it would make a great Christmas present for her son, I of course agreed.

Anyway we’re chatting away about work and asked her if she was still going to order one, to which she replied, oh while we’ve been talking I’ve ordered two, one for my son and one for me, always wanted a SAK but didn’t know what to buy. :climber:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD