Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Collecting Alox Pioneer question

Offline Huck70

Collecting Alox Pioneer question
on: September 25, 2020, 04:05:21 PM
I have carried a Pioneer or a Soldier for over 20 years and I am starting to get into collecting them. Some of the Pioneers have shop logos on them; Cutlery Shop, Knives and Tools and Swiss Bianco for example. Are the knives with shop logos on them any more or less collectible than those without shop logos on them? I also have noticed that Swiss Bianco sells a Pioneer without the key ring, so more like a soldier. Are they any more or less collectible?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Collecting Alox Pioneer question
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 04:25:45 PM
I'd say it's up to you. You decide what to collect. Whether it is SAKs with logos or without them, single colour, different colours, used or mint...

Your collection, your rules.

If you mean what do people value most, again, it's up to them.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Frailer

Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 05:46:13 PM
I absolutely agree that it's completely up to you.  For my part, I avoid knives with shop logos, and for *me* the Pioneer must have a key ring (or a bail).

If I could offer one suggestion, the most important thing when starting a collection is to have a focus.  Your specific interests may change over time (I've recently been seeking out early Elinox-marked Pioneers), but having a focus to your collection helps prevent you from simply accumulating a bunch of knives very quickly, leaving you much poorer and unsatisfied.

Above all, have fun!

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 04:32:23 AM
Agreed with the viewpoints expressed already.     I have a couple shop edition Pioneers, but I only get them if they really speak to me.   

The Pioneer is my all-time favorite pocket knife, too, and it's really fun to collect.  My advice is to just follow your nose -- if a shop edition tickles your fancy then pick it up.  Love that "old cross?"  Buy one.   My only rule is to never look at any particular SAK purchase as an investment.  Buy it because you like it and it makes you happy.

There's an Old Cross 30-day challenge coming up in October.  My guess is that you will see a lot of cool old Pioneers coming out of the woodwork for that.   Could be useful and instructive. 

Kind regards,

Myron

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 04:37:35 AM
In my opinion, get an Electrician. They don't have keyrings, and the E-blade is handy for more than just cable stripping. And, as intended--it puts the old TL-29 to shame!

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 04:58:30 AM
So true!   I have a TL-29 that just lives on my workbench.  I use it for opening packages and the like, but I'd never carry it as a pocket knife.   

I will say however that the TL-29 polishes up beautifully.  I bought mine for like 6 bucks and all it needed was a little elbow grease; the brass liners are thick and sexy, and the blades are thick and substantial.  Anyhow, everybody needs one!

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 02:02:02 PM
So true!   I have a TL-29 that just lives on my workbench.  I use it for opening packages and the like, but I'd never carry it as a pocket knife.   

I will say however that the TL-29 polishes up beautifully.  I bought mine for like 6 bucks and all it needed was a little elbow grease; the brass liners are thick and sexy, and the blades are thick and substantial.  Anyhow, everybody needs one!

:like: :iagree: :cheers: :tu:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 02:56:30 PM
Buy what people want and will want
original, no seller marking is worth more.
Victorinox has been here for over a century, in basically the same form
a shop may disappear next week
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 03:56:23 PM
I don't collect Pioneers but I've always enjoyed the pics of those who do.  My advice is have fun, be patient, shop around, and if you are looking to buy with the intent of them increasing in value then  :dunno:

Good luck.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Frailer

Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 08:09:33 PM

I agree!  Here’s one that “polished up” very well indeed ;-)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 09:26:40 PM
I agree!  Here’s one that “polished up” very well indeed ;-)

(Image removed from quote.)

What kind of wood is that? I have a Boker that someone really messed up trying to modify the screwdriver to fit #2 Phillips, and that is exactly what I'm having done when it's sent off to a chap in Michigan to be redone.

us Offline Frailer

Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 10:12:42 PM
It’s snakewood—a personal favorite of mine.

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 01:36:37 PM

:like: :drool: :tu:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 04:17:14 PM
I absolutely agree that it's completely up to you.  For my part, I avoid knives with shop logos, and for *me* the Pioneer must have a key ring (or a bail).

If I could offer one suggestion, the most important thing when starting a collection is to have a focus.  Your specific interests may change over time (I've recently been seeking out early Elinox-marked Pioneers), but having a focus to your collection helps prevent you from simply accumulating a bunch of knives very quickly, leaving you much poorer and unsatisfied.

Above all, have fun!

I toatally did this when I started collecting again recently  after many years and, like you say, ended up just accumulating many random knives - some of which I do like very much but some of which could have financed knives I had more love for.

I have stopped buying now until I decide on a focus - I really like 84mm at the moment but even that is a wide range - I need to narrow it down a bit still. ;0)

us Offline Frailer

Reply #14 on: September 27, 2020, 04:34:14 PM
I toatally did this when I started collecting again recently  after many years and, like you say, ended up just accumulating many random knives - some of which I do like very much but some of which could have financed knives I had more love for.

I have stopped buying now until I decide on a focus - I really like 84mm at the moment but even that is a wide range - I need to narrow it down a bit still. ;0)

I think that’s a trap most of us fall into. I know I did (and, sadly, still do on occasion). I am deeply flawed, I fear.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #15 on: September 27, 2020, 10:09:36 PM

And not too expensive either, so I think it will be my choice of handle when I have the Boker rebuilt.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 10:17:42 PM

Frailer, that is gorgeous.  Did you do that work yourself or have it done?   

I've seen some beautiful custom-scaled TL-29's over on the pocket knife forum. 

us Offline Frailer

Reply #17 on: September 27, 2020, 10:23:45 PM
Frailer, that is gorgeous.  Did you do that work yourself or have it done?   

I've seen some beautiful custom-scaled TL-29's over on the pocket knife forum.

“Glennbad” on BF was gracious enough to do that one for me.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 10:28:28 PM
Very cool.  I thought about doing mine in some custom way like that, but I'm not really brave enough to figure out how the bolsters relate to the scales.  Maybe someday, though. 

us Offline BerkshireHunter

Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 01:07:49 AM
Buy what you like, I think Jay Leno says that about his cars.

I personally don’t like a blade etch as much but a tasteful logo on the engraving plate looks ok like knifecenter.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%