Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knot in October GAW

Nix · 778 · 17505

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Knot in October GAW
Reply #570 on: October 29, 2020, 10:08:18 PM
Aloha --

In pictures #3 & 4 of the first Icicle hitch post, it looks like you pass the working end over the standing end....is this right ?   :think:

Yes.  I had to tie again to make sure.  The green really washed out what I was doing. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #571 on: October 29, 2020, 11:48:55 PM
Entry 5 - Halyard Hitch

The Halyard Hitch Knot is used to secure a line to a shackle (or ring or clip).  For the Halyard Knot to work, the diameter of the shackle and line should be about the same.  If the shackle diameter is too large the Halyard Hitch Knot cannot be tightened sufficiently to provide a grip on the working end so it does not come undone.

Structure The Halyard Hitch Knot has the same structure as the Stevedore Stopper but is attached to a shackle. When completed the end exits adjacent to the shackle and is almost invisible. By contrast the end of Buntline Hitch exits away from the shackle.

The Halyard Hitch is a compact knot which improves aesthetics over some other options.

Halyard Hitch cannot be tied or untied under load.  After being heavily loaded, it can be hard to untie.

1-6). Pass the working end through the shackle, and wrap the working end around the standing end twice.
7). Next, take the working end and pass it through the loop that you’ve just made next to the shackle.
8). Pull the working end tight.
Optional) trim any excess line from the end. (When trimmed short, this knot should never be used for critical loads).  It’s also a good idea to heat-seal the end for added security and protection.

Some variations of the Halyard Hitch, feed the working end down through the wraps so that it ends up parallel to the standing end.  This is not considered as secure, but may be better if the shackle diameter is larger than the rope.

The left is the standard method of tying the Halyard knot.  The right is the alternative.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #572 on: October 29, 2020, 11:56:21 PM
Very cool.  :tu:

I'm a bit of Buntline hitch fan, but this looks like an improvement. It almost seems like a cross between a Buntline and an Anchor hitch.

Very nice!  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #573 on: October 29, 2020, 11:59:28 PM

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #574 on: October 30, 2020, 12:24:08 PM
My 5th entry is a webbing knot, known by a few names but most know it by the name Water knot. It might look and actually is very easy to tie, but is a very reliable knot and one I trust my life on. It is used to connect two webbings or two ends of a webbing together to make a sling.

It is basically a overhand knot on a webbing you follow through from the other side with the other end of the webbing.

The strands of the webbing are loaded in the direction of the load so the knot only gets tighter, but the safest thing is always to leave about 10cm or 4 inches of tail out kf the knot for possible slippage.

You can use this knot for connecting rope or webbing, but I mostly use it for webbing slings for natural anchor points while caving, or simply to hang my hammock ;)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:29:25 PM by enki_ck »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #575 on: October 30, 2020, 02:54:30 PM
Nice!

Another 'must know knot'!

I find that it can be hard to untie after it gets well loaded.....like after I've been sleeping in my hammock all night. But it is a trustworthy knot. I've seen some reports that with repeated light loading and unloading that it can work itself loose....surprises me...so it is a good idea to keep your tails a little long as you noted. Good safety point.  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #576 on: October 30, 2020, 03:00:27 PM
Great Knot.  Its always interesting such a "simple" knot can be so reliable. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #577 on: October 30, 2020, 03:20:48 PM
Every knot actually weakens the rope by 25-40% (and even more if it's tied badly, each overlapping strand by about 25%) as it bends it, in a way "breaks" the rope. So a neatly tied knot is a safe knot. And a simple knot with less overlaps and bends that still doea its job AND spends less rope is always a top choice for me.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #578 on: October 30, 2020, 03:23:53 PM

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #579 on: October 30, 2020, 04:11:14 PM

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #580 on: October 30, 2020, 04:18:32 PM
 :like:

Good lookin' list of knots.

....except for Fuzzbucket's bow tie knot....which someone stole.... :whistle:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #581 on: October 30, 2020, 08:04:29 PM
Just a reminder, the lights go out on this challenge tomorrow evening....after dinner....Nix time.

How many times have you gone to move the power drill to a new work spot, only to find that it became disconnected from the extension cord? :dunno:

Here is one of my favorite life-hacks:

I suppose it is a half-knot finished with a 'plug splice'.   :think:

I don't recall how I learned this, but this simple 'knot' will prevent one from pulling a power plug out of an extension cord. I use it every time I use an extension cord!  :tu:

se Offline RF52

Reply #582 on: October 30, 2020, 08:15:07 PM
That is a good one Nix :tu:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #583 on: October 30, 2020, 08:18:16 PM
Just a reminder, the lights go out on this challenge tomorrow evening....after dinner....Nix time.

How many times have you gone to move the power drill to a new work spot, only to find that it became disconnected from the extension cord? :dunno:

Here is one of my favorite life-hacks:

(Image removed from quote.)

I suppose it is a half-knot finished with a 'plug splice'.   :think:

I don't recall how I learned this, but this simple 'knot' will prevent one from pulling a power plug out of an extension cord. I use it every time I use an extension cord!  :tu:

+1

Yup, technically, it´s a knot. I should'vre remembered it.

:facepalm:

I have one more to share but haven't had time to prepare it. I might just look up a video of it.

Sorry, guys...

:-[ :-\

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #584 on: October 30, 2020, 08:57:46 PM
pfrsantos -- you still have 24 hours....more like 30 hours....to get an entry in....   :pok:

se Offline RF52

Reply #585 on: October 30, 2020, 09:02:25 PM
The stevedore knot is a stopper knot and I just learned it from the Ashley book of knots :tu:

Start by making a loop, then go over under, over under again, take the tail up through the top loop and tidy it up and pull thight :tu:
IMG_20201030_205025_compress7.jpg
* IMG_20201030_205025_compress7.jpg (Filesize: 36.86 KB)
IMG_20201030_205041_compress60.jpg
* IMG_20201030_205041_compress60.jpg (Filesize: 34.35 KB)
IMG_20201030_205306_compress58.jpg
* IMG_20201030_205306_compress58.jpg (Filesize: 28.98 KB)
IMG_20201030_205422_compress82.jpg
* IMG_20201030_205422_compress82.jpg (Filesize: 32.14 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #586 on: October 30, 2020, 09:16:30 PM
 :like:

I sometimes think that people take stopper knots for granted. Ashley provides a great reference to see how people used to be quite serious about their stopper knots. I myself default to the Figure 8, as taught to me by my sailing instructor. However, I think there are times when a slightly more centered and bulky knot like the Stevedore can be useful.

Great entry!  :tu:

se Offline RF52

Reply #587 on: October 30, 2020, 09:18:52 PM
I think it looks to be a handy knot to know, and it's simple to tie :tu:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #588 on: October 30, 2020, 10:08:21 PM
I prefer the double overhand knot. I tie it on the end of the rope so I don't descent and drop off it :ahhh

A figure 8 might work itself off the rope if not loaded as Huntsman said, a double overhand knot will stay put. It's what we're instructed to do in SRT (single rope technique) training.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #589 on: October 30, 2020, 10:31:36 PM
I prefer the double overhand knot. I tie it on the end of the rope so I don't descent and drop off it :ahhh

A figure 8 might work itself off the rope if not loaded as Huntsman said, a double overhand knot will stay put. It's what we're instructed to do in SRT (single rope technique) training.

I think I know that as a Surgeon's knot:

A great stopper knot; however, once loaded it can become difficult to untie, especially when wet. The Figure 8 knot has never become unintentionally loose or undone in my experience. But I like to leave a decent tail after the knot.

The great virtue of the Fig 8 is that it can untied easily after being loaded and is soaking wet. This has some obvious advantages in a sailing environment. Because I learned it early on, I use it as my stopper for just about everything.

Your double overhand (Surgeon's) is surely more secure, but less efficient in my book.

Similarly, Grapevine is even more secure, and even more difficult to untie after being loaded:

An even better stopper is the Fig 8 on a bight:

This will not get stuck or jammed in a cleat or block, and it has a convenient 'handle' to pull it out of a block. The downside is that the loop can present a snagging hazard so should be used in situations where the risk of the loop being snagged or snagging is minimal.

RF's Stevedore would seem to be a good compromise between security and ease of being untied, but I haven't tried it out with a soaking wet knot!  :rofl:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #590 on: October 30, 2020, 11:32:41 PM
Nope, not a Surgeon's knot, a double overhand
stopper knot. Like half of a double fisherman's knot.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #591 on: October 30, 2020, 11:41:42 PM
 :think:

A 'Grinner' or 'Uni'?

Similar to the Grapevine knot I posted above, but two wraps instead of three or more.

Again, very secure and very strong. But the Devil to pay to get it untied after being loaded, especially when wet.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #592 on: October 30, 2020, 11:56:08 PM
Damnit, I just haven't had time to do anything for this.
Got a knot or two that hasn't been done yet...  :whistle:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #593 on: October 30, 2020, 11:57:06 PM
 :pok:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #594 on: October 31, 2020, 01:34:45 AM
Not sure, as I said, I tie it like a half of a double fisherman's knot, just without the other rope strand.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #595 on: October 31, 2020, 02:14:10 AM
Ja, same knot.   :tu:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #596 on: October 31, 2020, 02:29:49 AM
Hi Multitool and knot lovers!! - I am back   :tu:

Well I ended up having a crazy week - I was hospitalised for three days with my hand and lots of other challenging things going on in my work and personal life
So missed last week's submission - And now ReamerPunch 'stole' one of my next knots the prussik knot    :rant:

But I did want to make one more submission - So this is it - The Round Turn and Two Half-Hitches
I am not sure if it has even been submitted already - It is not in RP's fantastic summary post under this name - But may be under another
- I have so little time I cannot even check - But the big boss-man will    ;) 

I am pretty sure I learnt this knot in the Scouts - But it has come into play in climbing days - But has many other uses.
I would call it an anchor knot to secure a rope to a very solid fixed object.

When we climb: To make an anchor point for a belay, I'd usually just chuck a sling around a tree, or rock, and put a carabiner through the two ends,  then your rope through the carabiner back to the climbing harness and secure - Quick and easy
But if you want to secure the single rope (not a loop) to a fixed object - Usually a tree - You can use this knot.
Also useful for the starting knot for attaching the rope to your roof rack or trailer followed by a few truckers hitches from side to side!!

It is a very simple knot to tie - As always there is a right way to tie it and a wrong way.
The only mistake you can really make with this knot is in step 3 -
To tie correctly, for the second hitch you go down and around and through - another way of saying this is the first time you go around the rope you go clockwise the second time it is anti-clockwise - Which can be counter intuitive
The mistake is made by just going around and through for the second hitch - ie you go clockwise both times - Hard to explain - So I put in another picture!! 
The knot still ties but the two ends go through the loop in opposite directions - Which I guess makes the knot much much weaker.

Not sure about overall security and rope weakening etc etc (when you get it right, of course)  - You guys seem to know way more about that than me - But I would trust my life (or my climbing partner's life) to it!!

I hope the images and process to tie is clear :) - Let me know if you need more piccies
EDIT 2: And also if the knot qualifies of course!!

EDIT: oooo - Just noticed I went a little Chinese in my wRong way picture description!!     ;)    Apologies
Round turn and two .JPG
* Round turn and two .JPG (Filesize: 87.72 KB)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 03:00:08 AM by Huntsman »

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #597 on: October 31, 2020, 02:59:02 AM
The last week was really full for us.
Vitor will try to post a knot tomorow morning (São Paulo, BR time).

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #598 on: October 31, 2020, 03:35:20 AM
And now ReamerPunch 'stole' one of my next knots the prussik knot    :rant:

Yay! I stole another knot!  :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #599 on: October 31, 2020, 04:28:06 AM
Hmmmmm....RF52 gave us a pair of half-hitches......but you supplied specific directions for the Round Turn with a pair of Half-Hitches....I'll take it!  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%