Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knot in October GAW 8159

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,061

Nix us

Re: Knot in October GAW
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2020, 09:59:36 PM »
Mr. Nix!

Nice challenge idea!

I showed this awesome challenge to my 8yo son, who is a knot fan! He likes to tie knots and even taught me new ones.
He was amazed  with the possibilites to learn new knots (He said the knifes are gougeous).

Hey, feel free to serve as his proxy!  Have him tie the knots and write the description. You post his entries for him. (Just be sure he gets to select the prize he wants!   :rofl:)

Illegitimi non carborundum
No Life Club Posts: 4,062
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2020, 10:11:22 PM »
I learned that one as the "Double Sheet bend". (As opposed to the single, as you pointed out.  :tu:)

And a damn fine knot it is, too!  I often have a loop pre-tied to a bit of kit. The Double sheet bend is the quickest way to bend on (join) another line.

"The essential knot"   :think: 

Is it all that?  Hard to say. If I had to trust my life on a bend....I have a few others in mind.

Still, an excellent knot to start of the competition!! A personal favorite!!!   :ahhh   :tu:

It may not be the very best, but for ease of use and frequency of application, it earns a lot of merit.

Funny you say though - I've used them to give myself some extra length (who couldn't use a little more?) and then secure all sorts of heavy loads - but for some reason I've never hung my comparatively small frame off them.

It would seem, in practice, I don't trust them either  :think:

Nix us

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2020, 10:20:34 PM »
 :rofl:    :iagree:

I have one reference that says the single Sheet Bend 'spills', i.e. false apart after an average of 22 tugs out of 100. Breaking strength is listed as 55%.

In my personal experience, as long as the Sheet Bend, especially my preferred Double Sheet Bend, stays loaded, it will knot slip or spill. And I've never had an issue with the strength.

I find this stuff fascinating.   :dunno:

Add:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 10:40:40 PM by Nix »

Nix us

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2020, 10:22:49 PM »
For me, the other HUGE benefit to the Single and Double Sheet bends is that they are very easy to untie, even after being heavily loaded. A really useful feature for a knot in my book!   :tu:

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,303
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2020, 10:24:32 PM »
It's 01/10/20 on this side of the planet :P
Correct Day/Month/Year format too. :dd:

Nix us

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2020, 10:27:51 PM »

Nix us

« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2020, 11:55:52 PM »

Disclaimer! (I.e. read the fine print.)

The fine print: This GAW is being conducted for fun and education. However, Nix is NOT a knot expert, sailing instructor, climbing instructor, or high-seas fisherman. He's just some joker on the internet who happens to have an interest in knots. (And most people would say he's a pretty crap fisherman, anyway.)

Using the wrong knot, especially with weak, frayed, or understrength lines, ropes, or webbing, in dangerous situations can result in injury or death. Do NOT construe anything Nix (or any other internet joker) says to be based on expert knowledge or as professional guidance.

If you are undertaking any high-risk activity, such as rappelling, climbing, towing, or water skiing with Fuzzbucket, first seek professional guidance and advice. Do NOT rely on opinions you read on the internet written by jokers like Nix.

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,318 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2020, 12:03:40 AM »
It's 00:03 where I'm at so here's my first entry. :woohoo:

I was planning a different knot for my first entry but SM's entry and the talk of essential knots reminded me of this one.

I'm not actually well versed in the English names of most knots, but this one i know, it's the double fisherman knot. :D

There are a few knots that you can use to connect two ropes together, but this is the only one I'd trust my life to and would assent or descend the rope that's connected in this way as this one will never fail you, and you can use it on ropes of different diameters and properties. Others might be easier and quicker, but this one is the safest, and very easy to inspect if it was done properly.

Take two ropes and put their leading ends facing away from each other. (pic1)
Grab both ropes with your index finger and your thumb (pic2) and wrap the rope going right once (pic3), and twice (pic4) wrapping it from right to left, towards you.

Then take your thumb out of the two loops around the two ropes you created and put the working end of the rope through the loops going right, away from you (pic5). Tighten the knot, the tail sticking out should be about 10 centimetres or 4 inches for you imperials. (pic6) That's always a rule to leave a tail this long so even if the rope slips through the knot, the whole knot doesn't unravel.

Flip the two ropes around so the knot is in your palm and the other rope we just wrapped around is now facing right. (pic7) Repeat the wrapping process with the other rope (pics 8 and 9).

Take your thumb out and replace it with the working end of the rope going right (pic11) tighten it fully (pic12).
When you pull on the two ropes the two knots will slide to each other and lock. They should look symmetrical (Pic13), if they don't you did something wrong, repeat the knotting ;) And the back view. (pic14)

Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,161 Born to multitask.
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,318 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2020, 12:12:15 AM »
Nix, do I owe anything else for my entry or am I good to go? :angel:
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2020, 12:17:37 AM »
My first entry is the Friendship knot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendship_knot

I discovered this knot myself, which is why I always remember how to tie it.

Although it is classified as a decorative knot, it can be very useful to know, thanks to its geometry.
Traits:
-It is very secure. Because of the four lines locking each other, it stays tight. Whenever I want to untie one, I use pliers.
-Pulling against it only makes it tighter.
-It creates a fixed loop.
-The two ends meet at an angle to form the knot, so the loop will stay open.
-The knot is outside the loop. You have a clean loop, then the knot, then the ends outside the loop.

Uses:
-Fixed loops; zipper-pulls, lanyards, drawstrings. The open loop makes it easy to hang objects, or accessing a lanyard with a single finger.
-Fixed elastic loops; hair-bands, waist-bands, cuff-bands, DIY bands for masks, head-lamps, tethers, etc. Works great with shock-cord.
-A finishing knot for a cord bracelet, weaved lanyard etc. When you are left with two ends, this is a good, tight knot that will secure the weave.
-Great for smooth, slippery synthetic cords and lines that make other knots untie themselves.
-Excellent for plastic bottle cordage, and other flat type cordage.
-The knot will be flat on one side, so you can tie knot upon knot to make a weaved lanyard. The box weave and circle stitch lanyards are made by stacking friendship knots on top of each other.

-Of course, thanks to its square side, chequered appearance, and symmetry, it is an excellent decorative knot, for neckerchiefs, bandanas, leather cords etc.

How to tie it:
1. Give one end a twist.

2. Put the other end in the twist.

3. Bring that end around the knot.

4. The end will go through the big loop, over the first line it will meet, and under the other, to form the knot.

5. Tighten.

6. Adjust the length of the ends to make it pretty.

You can mirror this process to make the knot look the other way, if you want symmetry on a bag with two zipper-pulls etc.

When I tie this with cord/paracord, I use pliers to tighten it, and it will take pliers or a corkscrew/marlin spike to untie it. It is extremely secure.

This is an underrated knot. It has tons of uses and it is very secure. I am surprised not many people know about it. Whenever I need a loop, I tie this knot. Especially for zipper-pulls, or other cord loops on things you buy, where they just put the two ends together and do a standard overhand knot. That looks ugly and will come lose in a couple of days. The friendship knot will remain tight and it looks great.

https://youtu.be/zkh36iCaaj4
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:38:44 AM by ReamerPunch »

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2020, 12:26:41 AM »
Does lanyard knots count? :think:

Lanyards are useful, so the knots should count, I think. My first entry is a lanyard knot, and it is even classified as a decorative knot, but it is useful, and I think I have posted enough stuff to show its usefulness to me. Even for my lanyards on tools, it is not a decorative knot. I use the lanyards to pull the tools out of their sheaths, and you can also tether them or hang them on a nail.

I sure hope the Friendship Knot qualifies.  :pok:

Nix us

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2020, 12:29:41 AM »
Nix, do I owe anything else for my entry or am I good to go? :angel:

That is an outstanding tutorial!

And a great knot! One of my favorites! 

I use the Double Fisherman or "Grapevine" all the time to make loops.  :tu:

Nix us

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2020, 12:32:16 AM »
I sure hope the Friendship Knot qualifies.  :pok:

I think you proved it is useful!   :tu:

It counts!  I have to try to tie it......

Nix us

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2020, 12:33:02 AM »
Time Period 1 Entries:

Reef, aka Square knot, aka Peasant square knot  — Nix
Bow Tie knot  — Nix (technically invalid, but now spoiled)
Double Sheet bend — Sea Monster
Double Fisherman’s Knot, aka Double Grinner, Double Strangle, and Grapevine  — enki_ck
Friendship Knot — ReamerPunch

« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2020, 12:40:53 AM »

I think you proved it is useful!   :tu:

It counts!  I have to try to tie it......

:salute:
Give it a go and tell us what you think.  :cheers:

Nix us

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2020, 01:45:38 AM »
Following RP's instructions.......

:ahhh

This knot is, I think, a nice example of a what is called a 'weaving knot'. It is less 'tied' than 'woven'. It strongly reminds me of some other 'bends' that are also a sort of woven knot.

Now to practice a bit...... :D

Nix us

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2020, 02:50:04 AM »
And again....this time with more cowbell.....  :D

Thread Killer 2019 No Life Club Posts: 3,974
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2020, 04:23:10 AM »
That would be very useful if you ever needed to create a sling.  :like:

Nix us

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2020, 04:28:39 AM »
 :iagree:

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,163
Knot in October GAW
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2020, 04:50:06 AM »
Midshipman’s Hitch

This knot is a sliding knot that can be used camping for tent guylines, hanging hammocks or anything else where a sliding knot could be useful.  It holds well especially under tension, but can be difficult to adjust while under tension.

1 - Wrap the working line over then under the standing line, forming a loop.
2 - Bring the working end up inside the loop
3 - Working line goes over the standing line then under again, but outside the formed loop
4 - The working end goes over the standing line through the smaller loop that was just formed
5 - Pull the knot tight by pulling on the working end while holding the standing line in place
Here is a picture of it loosely tied, before tightening

Here is the tightened knot

This knot is similar both in tying and use to the Taut line Hitch. 
The biggest differences between the two are that the midshipman’s hitch holds tighter, but the taut line hitch is easier to adjust especially under tension.  I use to frequently confuse the two.  I prefer the Midshipman’s Hitch for tent guyline, especially if I know there is going to be high winds or a storm.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,163
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2020, 05:10:24 AM »
My first entry is the Friendship knot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendship_knot

(Image removed from quote.)

I discovered this knot myself, which is why I always remember how to tie it.

Although it is classified as a decorative knot, it can be very useful to know, thanks to its geometry.
Traits:
-It is very secure. Because of the four lines locking each other, it stays tight. Whenever I want to untie one, I use pliers.
-Pulling against it only makes it tighter.
-It creates a fixed loop.
-The two ends meet at an angle to form the knot, so the loop will stay open.
-The knot is outside the loop. You have a clean loop, then the knot, then the ends outside the loop.

Uses:
-Fixed loops; zipper-pulls, lanyards, drawstrings. The open loop makes it easy to hang objects, or accessing a lanyard with a single finger.
-Fixed elastic loops; hair-bands, waist-bands, cuff-bands, DIY bands for masks, head-lamps, tethers, etc. Works great with shock-cord.
-A finishing knot for a cord bracelet, weaved lanyard etc. When you are left with two ends, this is a good, tight knot that will secure the weave.
-Great for smooth, slippery synthetic cords and lines that make other knots untie themselves.
-Excellent for plastic bottle cordage, and other flat type cordage.
-The knot will be flat on one side, so you can tie knot upon knot to make a weaved lanyard. The box weave and circle stitch lanyards are made by stacking friendship knots on top of each other.

-Of course, thanks to its square side, chequered appearance, and symmetry, it is an excellent decorative knot, for neckerchiefs, bandanas, leather cords etc.

How to tie it:
1. Give one end a twist.

2. Put the other end in the twist.

3. Bring that end around the knot.

4. The end will go through the big loop, over the first line it will meet, and under the other, to form the knot.

5. Tighten.

6. Adjust the length of the ends to make it pretty.

You can mirror this process to make the knot look the other way, if you want symmetry on a bag with two zipper-pulls etc.

When I tie this with cord/paracord, I use pliers to tighten it, and it will take pliers or a corkscrew/marlin spike to untie it. It is extremely secure.

This is an underrated knot. It has tons of uses and it is very secure. I am surprised not many people know about it. Whenever I need a loop, I tie this knot. Especially for zipper-pulls, or other cord loops on things you buy, where they just put the two ends together and do a standard overhand knot. That looks ugly and will come lose in a couple of days. The friendship knot will remain tight and it looks great.

https://youtu.be/zkh36iCaaj4

I first saw this knot at a Girl Scout camp for the counselor uniform ties.  Every since then I have always loved it. 
It works great for tying the strings of hooded sweatshirts so that they don’t work their way out.

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 22,746
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2020, 07:06:34 AM »
Awesome start.  I really like the ones Enki and Sos showed.  Those are two I want to learn from memory. 

Esse Quam Videri
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 22,746
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2020, 07:09:31 AM »
Since I won the Wildman GAW I will be participating however no prize for me. 

Good luck to all.

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2020, 08:11:13 AM »
That one's great, Sos24, I use a variation of i with two loops over, one under for camping.
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2020, 10:09:31 AM »
It's a kind of a prussik knot, if offset, it bites better on the rope, and it can slide on the rope to tighten it, but once under load, it bitea on the rope and keeps your ridge line or whatever you are tightening in place but is easy to adjust.

You can pass the tail both ways but the cross loop is better.

Nix us

« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2020, 03:35:08 PM »
Oh!  I was hoping someone would show the Midshipman's Hitch!   :ahhh

Great knot and one of the most useful to know.  :tu:

Time Period 1 Entries:

Reef, aka Square knot, aka Peasant square knot  — Nix
Bow Tie knot  — Nix (technically invalid, but now spoiled)
Double Sheet bend — Sea Monster
Double Fisherman’s Knot, aka Double Grinner, Double Strangle, and Grapevine  — enki_ck
Friendship Knot — ReamerPunch
Midshipman’s Hitch — Sos24

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,767 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2020, 04:19:27 PM »
My first entry. Don't know if this has a name, I came up with it while looking for a way to help carrying grocery bags with a SAK's hook. Just a couple of plain knots, pushing against each other, to make a double looped lanyard.

Let's call this the Santos' lanyard.

8) 8)

Here's a few pics of it's look and usage mode:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Nix us

« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2020, 04:36:08 PM »
 :like:

But....wait.....

But....I think we need some instructions.....how are the two knots that push against each other tied? 

What I think you have there is a Single Fisherman's knot, used to make a loop. That loop is then used to tie a Cow Hitch to your shopping bag. An excellent technique, one I've used myself (although, from habit, I typically use a Double Fisherman's knot as enki demonstrated earlier.)

But...I can't be sure until you give us some slightly more specific instructions......... :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $190.80
PayPal Fees: $12.28
Net Balance: $178.52
Below Goal: $121.48
Site Currency: USD