Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ideas and Plans for 30 Day Challenges in 2021

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Ideas and Plans for 30 Day Challenges in 2021
Reply #30 on: October 15, 2020, 07:09:12 PM
I can see the merit in this  :think: I have tried to bond with my OHT for years but just can't  :dunno:

Agree.  It was just the daredevil made me think of the misfilt.

I've always hated the Leatherman Charge. How it looks so nice, how sharp the blades are, how great tolerances it has. It even has that damn diamond file which is too good.  ::)

I agree. Having to carry something you don't like for a month? Now that would be a challenge.

Daredevil Challenge is up!

I tentatively set it up in Aug 2021, please join!  :D

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 15, 2020, 09:33:24 PM
We recently wrapped up a Spyderco challenge--what about a Benchmade challenge?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: October 16, 2020, 04:08:57 AM
May I please reserve October?  I don't have a name or theme just yet.  I am working on it but I wanted to ask if I can have October please.   
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #33 on: October 29, 2020, 10:58:50 PM
How about a reverse Daredevil challenge? Instead of using a tool you do not like, like in the DareDevil Challenge, you use something you like but most people seemingly do not, and you try to make a case of why that tool is actually not bad.
Kinda like the DareDevil's Advocate. :like:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #34 on: October 29, 2020, 11:06:27 PM
How about a reverse Daredevil challenge? Instead of using a tool you do not like, like in the DareDevil Challenge, you use something you like but most people seemingly do not, and you try to make a case of why that tool is actually not bad.
Kinda like the DareDevil's Advocate. :like:

Well, that's the USA Tough Tool, not well received here, but I use the heck out of mine. That's out, as I did an off-brand challenge with it a couple of years ago.

And ironically, I'm doing the regular Daredevil Challenge with the Chinese version; just to see what I can break with normal use. So far, I'm betting I will likely ding the cutters and twist the pliers so the jaws don't align  within the first week (typical of me and most common bargain-priced tools; which surprisingly, so far, the Workpro 17-in-1 has been the only sub-$20 tool to survive regular use), and likely destroy a couple drivers before the challenge is over.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #35 on: October 29, 2020, 11:13:02 PM
I could use my USA ToughTool if this challenge ever happens.  :tu:
I was even considering using it for the DareDevil Challenge because while I like how solid it is and how it looks, it is too bulky, too stiff, and kind of weird to use because of how the tools pivot.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #36 on: November 06, 2020, 12:33:15 PM
The Jothra Challenge
30 Days. Beyond off-brand. We're talking bottom of the barrel cheap. Deep into knock-off territory. Will they survive 30 days? More importantly, will you?

I already did my 30 Off-Brand Challenge, sort of like a tribute to Jothra, after having gone through his off-brand escapades. Man were those fun to read!  :D
But in all honesty, going 30 days with the Roxon Storm was hardly a challenge. Sure, it's a chubby bunny, and ergonomics are not winning any prizes, but it passed with flying colours.

I had a lot of fun during my off-brand month, and I'd like to do it again, with others joining in, and maybe have a shiny new badge created for it. Or even a fridge magnet? :pok:

So, would anyone be interested in such a reckless adventure? We could do it in March, or any other month, to suit members who want to participate in other planned challenges.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #37 on: November 06, 2020, 01:02:24 PM
The Jothra Challenge
30 Days. Beyond off-brand. We're talking bottom of the barrel cheap. Deep into knock-off territory. Will they survive 30 days? More importantly, will you?

I already did my 30 Off-Brand Challenge, sort of like a tribute to Jothra, after having gone through his off-brand escapades. Man were those fun to read!  :D
But in all honesty, going 30 days with the Roxon Storm was hardly a challenge. Sure, it's a chubby bunny, and ergonomics are not winning any prizes, but it passed with flying colours.

I had a lot of fun during my off-brand month, and I'd like to do it again, with others joining in, and maybe have a shiny new badge created for it. Or even a fridge magnet? :pok:

So, would anyone be interested in such a reckless adventure? We could do it in March, or any other month, to suit members who want to participate in other planned challenges.
Hmmm maybe RP, might have the Roxon Flash S803 by then but as you say with the Storm, probably just large but good rather than a real challenge.

I do have these two, both are surprisingly alright in their own ways, but the hammer particularly has really loose tools that fall out as you open it, everything wobbles and nothing locks in place very well, even with the bar down. The pliers are better made and the knife sharp so could be ok, never really used either.
Bit big for EDC in shorts over summer but could be tempted to give them a try :think:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: November 06, 2020, 02:33:44 PM
Any interest in a keychain tool challenge, or a combo edge challenge? 

Thinking that the keychain tool challenge would be quite a challenge, but doable.  More dedicated tools like screwdrivers and pliers would certainly be used, which is fine... Maybe even a good thing.   But it would be interesting to see what life is like when you're using a tool that's designed to get you through minor eventualities.

As for the combo edge challenge... It's an excuse for me to see your PST-2  :whistle: Also that combo edges seem pretty standard in multiools, though those who are in the know avoid them.  But I wonder... What's a challenge without a challenge? especially when you have your choice of any tool... How much knife do you really need?

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #39 on: November 06, 2020, 02:52:36 PM
I would like to propose a Handyman challenge. It is a great SAK, but mostly overlooked, so I would like to try and rectify that.

Do we have any fixed dates already for 2021?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #40 on: January 16, 2021, 12:41:54 PM
Mayor of London Challenge

-That's not a knoife!
-No, it's a screwdriver. :D

30 days. No knife.  :ahhh
Scissors, screwdrivers, reamers, nailclippers, anything goes, as long as you don't use the blade
(or use it as little as possible).
Any takers? :pok:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: January 16, 2021, 02:21:27 PM

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: January 16, 2021, 04:24:22 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl:

An interesting proposal.  I'm thinking of something similar, like a keychain tool challenge.. or a pen knife challenge.  Interesting concept..  :think:

After scissors, my next most commonly used tool is the blade... So it would take some adjustments.... But what fun is a challenge without a challenge?

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #43 on: January 16, 2021, 05:23:46 PM

-That's not a knoife!

Scissors, screwdrivers, reamers, nailclippers, anything goes, as long as you don't use the blade
I’d definitely give it a go. I’ve thought of doing something like this before.  It’s an interesting concept for a knife lover.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 05:29:15 PM by pipedreams »
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: January 16, 2021, 05:37:24 PM
Just bought a Vic Angler which I'm intending to mod to create a Corckcrew Mechanic. Perhaps a 'Pliers' challenge? Not any specific type or make but it has to be a tool with pliers included. Could be quite fun given the far reaching scope of what will be shown.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline pipedreams

Reply #45 on: January 16, 2021, 06:09:49 PM
I’ve often thought of a bladeless SwissChamp.
-Todd

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #46 on: January 23, 2021, 07:25:44 AM
So I was wondering if there's ever been a challenge for carrying multiple SAK's?

I've not completed a challenge yet (or at least not known that I did). But I had this idea..... this little lightbulb that went off in my head... what if we did a challenge with the following rules.... I know I can do this hands down, no worries. How about you?

1. Carry (at least) 4 different SAK's with you every day when you leave the house....
2. You must have all 4 of them on your person for at least an hour when you are out of the house....
3. If you have days when you don't leave the house, have them on your person for at least an hour during the day anyhow....
4. They must not only be 4 different models.... (Victorinox or Wenger)
5. They must also be 4 different lengths... ie, 58mm, 84 mm, 91mm, and 111mm.... (If in doubt, consult the SAK Wiki page)
6. Report in to the thread every day to confirm you carried properly....
7. Post a picture of your initial band of brothers (knives) on the first day....
8. Afterwards, you only need to post a picture each time you add a different knife to the rotation...
9. Relate any noteworthy uses, incidents, or conversations involved with your special carry situation.
10. Don't forget to buckle your belt a little tighter to keep your pants up with all that extra weight....and check your pockets for holes frequently.  :D

BTW I'm going to be carrying 4+ knives from now on, regardless of the challenge, unless circumstances dictate otherwise....  8)
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: January 23, 2021, 03:23:28 PM
So I was wondering if there's ever been a challenge for carrying multiple SAK's?

I've not completed a challenge yet (or at least not known that I did). But I had this idea..... this little lightbulb that went off in my head... what if we did a challenge with the following rules.... I know I can do this hands down, no worries. How about you?

1. Carry (at least) 4 different SAK's with you every day when you leave the house....
2. You must have all 4 of them on your person for at least an hour when you are out of the house....
3. If you have days when you don't leave the house, have them on your person for at least an hour during the day anyhow....
5. They must also be 4 different lengths... ie, 58mm, 84 mm, 91mm, and 111mm.... (If in doubt, consult the SAK Wiki page)
7. Post a picture of your initial band of brothers (knives) on the first day....
8. Afterwards, you only need to post a picture each time you add a different knife to the rotation...
9. Relate any noteworthy uses, incidents, or conversations involved with your special carry situation.
10. Don't forget to buckle your belt a little tighter to keep your pants up with all that extra weight....and check your pockets for holes frequently.  :D

BTW I'm going to be carrying 4+ knives from now on, regardless of the challenge, unless circumstances dictate otherwise....  8)

Fun idea... More involved than the "SAK got your 6" challenge idea.  I like the idea of multiple tools, at least one of which is a SAK... Flexibility with accountability.  Personally, 2 SAKs would be my limit though.  3, if it was a month that I could get outside.... I could carry a Trekker too...

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 23, 2021, 04:16:23 PM
Fun idea... More involved than the "SAK got your 6" challenge idea.  I like the idea of multiple tools, at least one of which is a SAK... Flexibility with accountability.  Personally, 2 SAKs would be my limit though.  3, if it was a month that I could get outside.... I could carry a Trekker too...

Well of course the Swiss Card counts as a size....
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: January 23, 2021, 04:18:56 PM

Regarding 7. and 8.

Challenges require a daily picture and post in the thread

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 24, 2021, 06:15:08 AM
Regarding 7. and 8.

Challenges require a daily picture and post in the thread

Ah, in that case, we would obey the rules, as you have pointed out.

I was just hoping to simplify it for everyone to keep from having to upload so many photos. Carry on.  :D

us Offline pipedreams

Reply #51 on: January 28, 2021, 02:18:42 PM

-That's not a knoife!

Any interest in this one? It’d be a ACTUAL challenge.
-Todd

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #52 on: January 28, 2021, 02:28:13 PM
Any interest in this one? It’d be a ACTUAL challenge.
I could only really do it on my days off as I am required to carry (and use) a blade almost every day at work to cut strapping, seals etc.

That would limit me to about 10 days of any given 30 day period  :dunno:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: March 02, 2021, 04:25:30 AM
I could only really do it on my days off as I am required to carry (and use) a blade almost every day at work to cut strapping, seals etc.

That would limit me to about 10 days of any given 30 day period  :dunno:

Reamer and scissors, Surge.....  :D

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: March 02, 2021, 04:35:59 AM

I was thinking that... the reamer and scissors on my Pioneer X mean I rarely need the knife these days.   :dunno:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: April 04, 2021, 04:54:51 PM
Doing some more thinking.... Obsessing perhaps...  PotAYto PotAato.

Thinking of doing a challenge that eliminates the scissors and reamer.  :ahhh.

Thinking about a two- tool challenge.  :think:

I'm thinking of trying out my Bantam ... And my Skeletool KBX...

Maybe I'll go in for the Hunter or traditional challenge.   :ahhh

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: April 04, 2021, 06:35:54 PM
I still like the "carry at least five SAK's of different sizes with you every day for 30 days" challenge.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #57 on: April 04, 2021, 06:53:45 PM
I like your thinking Jim  :think: However, I can only carry Gov't issued kit whilst at work (UK Customs)
Although I love my PX/FX, I need to cut heavy duty strapping (2" wide) and even Vic' scissors wont cut it  :facepalm:

This means I need the heft of the Surge (on the go) or I'm breaking out the dedicated stuff from the tool room  ;)
They don't like it up 'em!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #58 on: April 04, 2021, 07:10:20 PM
The Toolbox Challenge

"Multi-tools are limited, but you won't be carrying a toolbox with you."
We see this mentioned quite often, and most of us have said it as well. But what if we did just that for a month?  :cheers:
30 days with only dedicated tools. Tiny pocket ratchets, folding knives of all sorts, an ocean of keychain bottle openers, we even have micro Knipex pliers. It should be rather easy nowadays, and if not, well, that's the challenging part of the challenge. Tooboxes optional.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #59 on: April 04, 2021, 10:40:09 PM
The Toolbox Challenge

"Multi-tools are limited, but you won't be carrying a toolbox with you."
We see this mentioned quite often, and most of us have said it as well. But what if we did just that for a month?  :cheers:
30 days with only dedicated tools. Tiny pocket ratchets, folding knives of all sorts, an ocean of keychain bottle openers, we even have micro Knipex pliers. It should be rather easy nowadays, and if not, well, that's the challenging part of the challenge. Tooboxes optional.

I do this all the time around the farm. In the "pliers/ruler' pocket of my carpenter's jeans is usually 420 Channellocks, a pair of linesman's pliers (size depends on job), a Klein Tools 15-in-1 with Robertson bit swapped for valve core tool, a, and a specialty tool for working on T-Post clips. In my bag is a pair of fencing pliers, a bigger (usually 8"-10" linesman's pliers),end nippers, a 24 oz. hammer, a big flat head screwdriver, a bag of assorted fencing hardware (T-Post clips, steeples), pruning shears, a bundle of paracord, a folding saw, a small hatchet, and a fixed blade.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%