Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Winter Magic X Owners Club

Zanza · 207 · 11209

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: Winter Magic X Owners Club
Reply #60 on: October 16, 2020, 02:44:15 PM
The plain old olive Pioneer from 2017 now goes for 3x the original price, so I wouldn't worry about this beauty losing value any time soon.
It is just a fact that once these alox models disappear from the shops, (ie next year in this case) their value will increase. Maybe not dramatically, and certainly not enough to make anyone a millionaire, but compared to shares or gold (both of which can go down, as well as up) these are incredibly safe investments. Even the butt ugly purple cadets are worth more than they used to, and they took an eternity to sell!
Buy one for yourself, buy one as a christmas present and buy one to stick in a drawer for the next 20 years. The one in the drawer will eventually pay for the other two.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: October 16, 2020, 02:46:11 PM
Definitely not selling mine now that it has arrived (along with the rest of my order)! :D

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: October 16, 2020, 03:00:16 PM
Oooh where did you get that orange beauty?

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: October 16, 2020, 03:12:41 PM
... but compared to shares or gold (both of which can go down, as well as up) these are incredibly safe investments.

I'm going to have to partially disagree on that mate...
Shares i can agree, but gold...? really...??  :sa:

This is a niche product, for an even smaller niche group (AKA: Collectors).
98% of the world (or even SAK users) could care less that it's a ultra special limited edition, ultra rare SAK someone is trying to sell for 2K or more...

I just can't agree with you there...
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: October 16, 2020, 03:51:42 PM
Oooh where did you get that orange beauty?

From the Coin and Knife shop in Essen - sadly they only had the one - I've been hunting and orange alox for years.... and now I have one! :D

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: October 16, 2020, 04:04:58 PM
Had you bought gold in 2012 you would have waited until 2020 for it to get back to the price you paid for it.
Back then, you could have purchased a 2010 Damascus Pioneer for 200 Euros which would now be worth more than 2000. Clearly a better investment!
Obviously penkives are totally impractical for people investing thousands or hundreds of thousands and I am not suggesting this is a get rich scheme. Nobody really wants a cellar full of alox (imagine if it floods...!) All I am saying is that if you see some nice limited edition alox, you can buy it safe in the knowledge that unlike a car or a phone its value is unlikely to decrease with time. It will only increase, which is, I think, a good thing.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: October 16, 2020, 04:08:25 PM
From the Coin and Knife shop in Essen - sadly they only had the one - I've been hunting and orange alox for years.... and now I have one! :D

Haha! Good find! I have an orange Pioneer from the SchweizerMesser shop (not in Essen) which I got a long time ago - it's still my favourite. Hopefully Victorinox decides to give us a fresh dose of orange juiciness in one of the limited editions some time soon, because they're really hard to find!

us Offline munsonhsr

Reply #67 on: October 16, 2020, 04:41:42 PM
Appropriately, it is snowing here this morning.  My entry

Phil ~  Awls Well That Ends Well :)

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #68 on: October 16, 2020, 04:43:41 PM
I'm in, too...
IMG_20201016_163822-01.jpeg
* IMG_20201016_163822-01.jpeg (Filesize: 172.73 KB)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: October 16, 2020, 05:39:38 PM
Had you bought gold in 2012 you would have waited until 2020 for it to get back to the price you paid for it.
Back then, you could have purchased a 2010 Damascus Pioneer for 200 Euros which would now be worth more than 2000. Clearly a better investment!
Obviously penkives are totally impractical for people investing thousands or hundreds of thousands and I am not suggesting this is a get rich scheme. Nobody really wants a cellar full of alox (imagine if it floods...!) All I am saying is that if you see some nice limited edition alox, you can buy it safe in the knowledge that unlike a car or a phone its value is unlikely to decrease with time. It will only increase, which is, I think, a good thing.

I totally understand what you are saying, and agree for the most part.
But what i'm thinking is, if you got a 200€ LE SAK that's worth 2000€ today and need to sell, how hard/easy would it be for one to find someone readily available to give 2000€ for a pocket knife...? Who knows if there is any interest for it in 10 years like there is now...
Gold on the other hand would be way more easy to sell if needed (even if not with the same amount of profit VS original value/cost).
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: October 16, 2020, 05:52:06 PM
Good seeing new club members pop up in here :D

And in the gold/shares discussion...

Both of you guys have valid points, but do keep in mind that you don't get the same joy of fondling that shiny cutter from a gold bar :rofl:

It's just that we, as collectors, are getting a safe investment from something we actually enjoy looking at/owning/using/displaying in a niche we love.

Can't get that with shares :D

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #71 on: October 16, 2020, 06:04:53 PM
Good seeing new club members pop up in here :D

And in the gold/shares discussion...

Both of you guys have valid points, but do keep in mind that you don't get the same joy of fondling that shiny cutter from a gold bar :rofl:

It's just that we, as collectors, are getting a safe investment from something we actually enjoy looking at/owning/using/displaying in a niche we love.

Can't get that with shares :D

:iagree:

Next year's Winter Magic Special Edition, Victorinox Farmer with special Winter Magic theme scales out of pure gold...

Pricey?

Probably...

But as an investment...  :2tu:.

;)

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #72 on: October 16, 2020, 06:13:51 PM
If I were to buy SAKs as an investment, I´d go for the Classic with gold ingot.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: October 16, 2020, 06:14:12 PM
:iagree:

Next year's Winter Magic Special Edition, Victorinox Farmer with special Winter Magic theme scales out of pure gold...

Pricey?

Probably...

But as an investment...  :2tu:.

;)

:rofl:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #74 on: October 16, 2020, 07:01:34 PM
I can still get the gold model for the original price....

Buy GEC, sell it for double the next day
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: October 16, 2020, 07:08:01 PM
If I were to buy SAKs as an investment, I´d go for the Classic with gold ingot.

I think those things always cost at least twice as much as the gold they contained so they made absolutely no sense as an investment... and as an EDC they're horrible because you just know that halfway through a hot night at the disco you'd notice the gold bar had fallen out and you'd spend the rest of the night looking for it. (Actually this happened to me and my wedding ring. Never found it!)

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: October 16, 2020, 11:26:46 PM
Haha! Good find! I have an orange Pioneer from the SchweizerMesser shop (not in Essen) which I got a long time ago - it's still my favourite. Hopefully Victorinox decides to give us a fresh dose of orange juiciness in one of the limited editions some time soon, because they're really hard to find!

Just checked the Essen shop’s site and they have loads of fresh orange in, in case anyone is interested...... https://www.schweizermesser-essen.de/Alox_1.   :pok:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: October 16, 2020, 11:35:06 PM
It's Orange! Yessss!
It's a Harvester! Yesssss!
It's got pumpkins on it! You know, for Halloween! - What the - ?!
It's the perfect EDC....for a couple of nights a year... around the end of October....bummer!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #78 on: October 17, 2020, 01:18:25 AM
Just got my shipping notification. No clue when it will arrive however...but it is on its way I hope.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: October 17, 2020, 08:29:08 AM
It's Orange! Yessss!
It's a Harvester! Yesssss!
It's got pumpkins on it! You know, for Halloween! - What the - ?!
It's the perfect EDC....for a couple of nights a year... around the end of October....bummer!
Sorry guys!

There was one plain orange Harvester in stock.

Untill I saw that :angel:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: October 17, 2020, 08:30:24 AM

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: October 17, 2020, 09:01:06 AM
I'm in, too...

Ulzhan, what have you done? Your XLT hopes this will just go right into the drawer and stay there ;)

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #82 on: October 17, 2020, 10:58:17 AM
It would be a nice new thread: "SAK's as an investment".

And NO, the Classic with gold ingot is NOT a good investment! Price of a kilogram gold today is about € 52.000. Per gram it's € 52. You can buy a 1 gram gold bar for about € 75-80, while a 1 gram Gold Ingot Classic will cost around € 185-220.

To stay on topic: I'm also in for the Winter Magic X!! My wife bought me one. Ain't that sweet? Answer: No, she ain't sweet, yet. Because I will receive at X-mas, not any sooner.  >:D
P5176844klein.JPG
* P5176844klein.JPG (Filesize: 116.6 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: October 17, 2020, 11:38:23 AM
Sorry guys!

There was one plain orange Harvester in stock.

Untill I saw that :angel:

My friend also bought one last night after seeing mine... didn’t realise there weren’t that many of them left. However, when I bought mine in early September it too vanished from the website, so keep checking back as it appears they can get more.....

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: October 17, 2020, 11:49:56 AM
It's interesting that lots of you seem convinced the Winter PX will be a treasured collectible.

I agree the scale pattern makes this one quite unique. On the other hand, LEs abound and the winter themed SAKs seem not to be very popular in general. The models of yesteryear are still readily available at recommended retail price or less. This might also explain why, unlike the Man on the Moon or the damast LEs, the Winter PX wasn't sold out the moment it became available (ok, ok, the Winter PX was also produced in higher quantities).

So while I too believe it may go up in value, I wouldn't be as certain of it as many of you seem to be. Not that it matters -  I will love mine either way, it's just gorgeous to behold.

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #85 on: October 17, 2020, 02:29:27 PM
Ulzhan, what have you done? Your XLT hopes this will just go right into the drawer and stay there ;)

Don't worry. XLT and the Spirit are the primary tools around here.  :D

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: October 17, 2020, 09:30:32 PM
The models of yesteryear are still readily available at recommended retail price or less.

graduate-alox.jpg
* graduate-alox.jpg (Filesize: 133.94 KB)

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: October 17, 2020, 09:51:51 PM

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #88 on: October 17, 2020, 10:08:03 PM
Aaarrrgh! I'm starting to think it's a good thing that this PXmas LE doesn't seem to be available in my country and that importing one would be an expensive hassle.
Rambler

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: October 18, 2020, 08:31:48 AM
That's just you looking for reasons not go get one :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30