Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another Customs Seizure

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Another Customs Seizure
on: September 30, 2021, 05:40:23 PM
A friend and colleague of mine (based in the US for work) tried to send me a LM PST II that he found at a flea market.

He was careful about the wording on the Customs form and the value but, it was seized because they claimed it was mis-described and undervalued so it never got out of the country.

This is the second time it's happened to me  :rant: (anyone else  :dunno: )
They don't like it up 'em!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Re: Another Customs Seizure
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 05:46:00 PM
How did they determine it was undervalued... and so what if it is? The smurfers.  :twak:

That's rather worrying that, as I get a lot of sharps from the states now, in fact nearly everything...  :ahhh

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 05:51:10 PM
Undervalued is subjective especially when the tool is found or was gift thats being regifted to name a few.  As for mis-described? 

I've sent a lot across the pond.  I always try to declare a value based on an agreed amount so the recipient isn't fleeced to badly.  I also describe in many ways, camping tool, fishing tool, crafting tool, leather tool, pliers, and a few other names. 

Sorry that happened.     
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 06:12:59 PM
A friend and colleague of mine (based in the US for work) tried to send me a LM PST II that he found at a flea market.

He was careful about the wording on the Customs form and the value but, it was seized because they claimed it was mis-described and undervalued so it never got out of the country.

This is the second time it's happened to me  :rant: (anyone else  :dunno: )
You mean the Yankees didn't allow it to leave the colonies?! I've heard of things being stopped at arrival, but prevented from departing it's a first! I didn't even knew that was possible!

??? ??? ??? ???

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 06:37:55 PM
How did they determine it was undervalued... and so what if it is? The smurfers.  :twak:

That's rather worrying that, as I get a lot of sharps from the states now, in fact nearly everything...  :ahhh

God only knows how they determine these things  :dunno:
Undervalued is subjective especially when the tool is found or was gift thats being regifted to name a few.  As for mis-described? 

I've sent a lot across the pond.  I always try to declare a value based on an agreed amount so the recipient isn't fleeced to badly.  I also describe in many ways, camping tool, fishing tool, crafting tool, leather tool, pliers, and a few other names. 

Sorry that happened.     

It was described as "Pocket Tool" and the value was what he paid for it $20 USD. There was no receipt as it was a market scenario and so he declared it at that value. Still, I've had a more expensive SAK seized as well  :dunno:

You mean the Yankees didn't allow it to leave the colonies?! I've heard of things being stopped at arrival, but prevented from departing it's a first! I didn't even knew that was possible!

??? ??? ??? ???

TBF I have to seize goods that are mis-declared (it's an offence here, even if leaving the UK)

I have also detained, inbound (as opposed to seizing) a large box of LM Supertools and SAKs which were clearly company GAW stuff.

I detained it because the quantity was a commercial import and I expected someone to claim it, with the appropriate paperwork, and pay the tax etc. They didn't and the contents were destroyed  :cry: :cry: :cry:

All I could do in that case was Google the items and see what the market value was (from the originating country) and work out the tax etc. It was a substantial amount for you and I, but not for the company concerned*

*I won't name them as it may have been a factory overrun and purchased privately (hence no claimant  :dunno: )

Win some etc... :shrug:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 07:09:30 PM

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 02:28:46 AM
I had a package returned to Oz from Ireland because it didn't have the correct customs code on it ( I didn't know it was required as a previous package to the same recipient sailed through customs unhindered just a month previously).  I think UK has tightened up since Brexit.

I was amused to see that Oz customs decided to open up the package on the way back in to Oz, so it was OK to send it out of Oz, but coming back in was a different story  ???
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 11:31:17 AM
(...)

TBF I have to seize goods that are mis-declared (it's an offence here, even if leaving the UK)

I have also detained, inbound (as opposed to seizing) a large box of LM Supertools and SAKs which were clearly company GAW stuff.

I detained it because the quantity was a commercial import and I expected someone to claim it, with the appropriate paperwork, and pay the tax etc. They didn't and the contents were destroyed  :cry: :cry: :cry:

(...)

SurgeUk:
Hey, boss. Got a truckload of illegal stuff to destroy. I'll take them out and take care of it.

Boss:
We got machines for that, SurgeUk.

SurgeUk:
Yeah, bu'... there's a lot, it might damage our machines. I can do it, no problem.

Boss:
Nonsense! Just leave it here, I'll take them out. To the machines, not with me. I'll never do that, of course.

SurgeUk:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 04:17:23 PM

SurgeUk:
Hey, boss. Got a truckload of illegal stuff to destroy. I'll take them out and take care of it.

Boss:
We got machines for that, SurgeUk.

SurgeUk:
Yeah, bu'... there's a lot, it might damage our machines. I can do it, no problem.

Boss:
Nonsense! Just leave it here, I'll take them out. To the machines, not with me. I'll never do that, of course.

SurgeUk:
(Image removed from quote.)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We don't do the destroying ourselves. All such items (detained/seized) go to the "Queens Warehouse" and from there are removed and destroyed  or, if of particular value, auctioned to raise money for the Treasury.

Hopefully these were sent for auction, then at least someone would be able to own some. However, I suspect that as they were branded (with a company logo) they were probably destroyed  :cry: :dunno:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD