Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opinions on rechargeable battery safety?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Opinions on rechargeable battery safety?
on: October 04, 2020, 05:55:28 PM
I’ve always stuck with AAA and AA using either lithium primaries or LSD NiMH rechargeables (eneloops) as these seeme to work well with minimal risk of turning the flashlight into a pipe bomb.

I’ve recently gotten two new weapon lights that run on cr123a’s which has of course led me to look into a possible cr123a (or rechargeable equivalent) for an edc light.

In the old days, it seemed recharging was a somewhat involved operation to do safely, involving voltage measurements and in general being nearby in case something went wrong. Now it seems like rechargeable flashlights are almost like cell phones in their ease of use. I’m not 100% convinced that they’re actually much safer, though. At least with something like an iPhone, you likely got a much larger user base sussing out issues, not to mention better development, larger prototype runs, etc.

I’m looking for ease of use, without a lot of extra hassle to be used in a safe manner. If it helps, I’ve been eyeing the Fenix E16 with Fenix’s rechargeable cell.

https://www.amazon.com/keychain-Flashlight-ARB-L16-700U-rechargeable-EdisonBright/dp/B07HBPNF8T/

So, what say you?

If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Opinions on rechargeable battery safety?
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 06:07:04 PM
Get a good charger and a good battery (Panasonic, Samsung origin or equal) Fenix does not make batteries they rebrand them.
You can also buy s light with a factory charger, so you will not have to worry about suitability.(decent brand light)

There are way more e.g. Panasonic batteries that apple users as they are used in everything from electric cars to computers.

In my signature I have a link to the chargers I use and batteries if you are interested. I have been using rechargeable lithiums for over a decade, branded cells, recycled laptop cells, cheap eBay ones with no issues. They are very robust and last for a looong time
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 06:10:06 PM
Reason why eneloops and the like are safer than lithium rechargeables is because they don't store as much power and are low voltage, and as such have very little chance of igniting something if a short happens inside or outside the battery.

As the power density of a battery approaches that of petrol and diesel, the danger of that battery approaches that of petrol and diesel.

That said, if you stick to lithium batteries with integrated protection circuits from good brands and use them with a good smart charger, they're safe enough that I don't worry about them.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 06:13:23 PM
Get a good charger and a good battery (Panasonic, Samsung origin or equal) Fenix does not make batteries they rebrand them.
You can also buy s light with a factory charger, so you will not have to worry about suitability.(decent brand light)

There are way more e.g. Panasonic batteries that apple users as they are used in everything from electric cars to computers.

In my signature I have a link to the chargers I use and batteries if you are interested. I have been using rechargeable lithiums for over a decade, branded cells, recycled laptop cells, cheap eBay ones with no issues. They are very robust and last for a looong time

Thanks for the input. 

I assume “s light” is a typo for olight? If so, I’ve kind of been turned off by them. When researching weapon lights I got acquainted with their marketing, flash sale and “paid” review nonsense. Not a huge fan as it makes it hard to figure out how good they really are. I also don’t like the inflated lumen advertising; 1000lm!!!!* (*for 1 mi it’s then step down to 200lm). I especially don’t like that crap for a weapon light. I’m agnostic on magnetic charging, unsure of how easy it would be to bridge the contacts during normal use/carry. Though I realize they’re hardly the only brand doing these things. Are there any you specifically recommend?

And thanks for the signature info, I’ll start doing some reading.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 06:16:31 PM
Reason why eneloops and the like are safer than lithium rechargeables is because they don't store as much power and are low voltage, and as such have very little chance of igniting something if a short happens inside or outside the battery.

As the power density of a battery approaches that of petrol and diesel, the danger of that battery approaches that of petrol and diesel.

That said, if you stick to lithium batteries with integrated protection circuits from good brands and use them with a good smart charger, they're safe enough that I don't worry about them.

Fair point about the comparative energy densities.

I’m sure they’re basically fine. I mean, I carry a cell phone with a lithium ion battery without a second thought. But for some reason the little pipe bomb thought has been hard to shake, and I’m not one overly obsessed with “safety.” 

I think I’ve not looked into it much because my AA and AAA lights have done all I need. But there is something appealing about a 700-1000lm little pocket rocket.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 06:26:03 PM
With cr123As you don't need to worry about too much. Either primaries or rechargable ones like the RCR123A and 16340, they have all been around long enough and have almost become as common and reliable as the AAAs and AAs. I've had a 47s Quark tactical running on a rcr123 tube for years now as my in case of emergency in car flashlight. It's the best option for long storage and especially if it might have to experiance high temperature fluctuations. Like cold weather in winter and in car hot in the summer. It will just work when you need it. No leaking, no empty battery surprise, ... If you go the rechargable route, you'll need a charger that can handle li-ion cells. I've been using the opus bt c3100 for 5 years now no issues.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 06:33:26 PM
With cr123As you don't need to worry about too much. Either primaries or rechargable ones like the RCR123A and 16340, they have all been around long enough and have almost become as common and reliable as the AAAs and AAs. I've had a 47s Quark tactical running on a rcr123 tube for years now as my in case of emergency in car flashlight. It's the best option for long storage and especially if it might have to experiance high temperature fluctuations. Like cold weather in winter and in car hot in the summer. It will just work when you need it. No leaking, no empty battery surprise, ... If you go the rechargable route, you'll need a charger that can handle li-ion cells. I've been using the opus bt c3100 for 5 years now no issues.

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, the cr123a don’t worry me. I’ve been using energizer AA/AAA lithium primaries for years for the type of long term storage applications you mention. I’ve mainly shoes away from the 123 size because it would add another battery size to the mix, and I generally try to use rechargeables when I can. But with the recent weapon light purchases, the cr123a format was the only decent option so that door is now open. 

The BT c3100 charger is also one dks reviewed in the thread he mentioned from his signature. Looks pretty nice, feature wise.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 06:43:29 PM
Thanks for the input. 

I assume “s light” is a typ
Fair point about the comparative energy densities.

I’m sure they’re basically fine. I mean, I carry a cell phone with a lithium ion battery without a second thought. But for some reason the little pipe bomb thought has been hard to shake, and I’m not one overly obsessed with “safety.” 

I think I’ve not looked into it much because my AA and AAA lights have done all I need. But there is something appealing about a 700-1000lm little pocket rocket.
o for olight? If so, I’ve kind of been turned off by them. When researching weapon lights I got acquainted with their marketing, flash sale and “paid” review nonsense. Not a huge fan as it makes it hard to figure out how good they really are. I also don’t like the inflated lumen advertising; 1000lm!!!!* (*for 1 mi it’s then step down to 200lm). I especially don’t like that crap for a weapon light. I’m agnostic on magnetic charging, unsure of how easy it would be to bridge the contacts during normal use/carry. Though I realize they’re hardly the only brand doing these things. Are there any you specifically recommend?

that was supposed to be "a light"

I actually have at least 2 olights that perform really well. One I have had for about a decade and it is still a favourite (runs 2AAs)
I don't know how they are marketed in the US but I bought them because they were well regarded. I found them more reliable than Fenix.

Most lights I have will lower their max output after a minute, to keep cool.

For cheap power look into the BLF forum models - I have at least 4 and they are very nice.

It is your money, so you decide what suits you.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 06:54:27 PM
o for olight? If so, I’ve kind of been turned off by them. When researching weapon lights I got acquainted with their marketing, flash sale and “paid” review nonsense. Not a huge fan as it makes it hard to figure out how good they really are. I also don’t like the inflated lumen advertising; 1000lm!!!!* (*for 1 mi it’s then step down to 200lm). I especially don’t like that crap for a weapon light. I’m agnostic on magnetic charging, unsure of how easy it would be to bridge the contacts during normal use/carry. Though I realize they’re hardly the only brand doing these things. Are there any you specifically recommend?

that was supposed to be "a light"

I actually have at least 2 olights that perform really well. One I have had for about a decade and it is still a favourite (runs 2AAs)
I don't know how they are marketed in the US but I bought them because they were well regarded. I found them more reliable than Fenix.

Most lights I have will lower their max output after a minute, to keep cool.

For cheap power look into the BLF forum models - I have at least 4 and they are very nice.

It is your money, so you decide what suits you.

Thanks, I appreciate the help and suggestions. 

And, for the record, I’m not really against olight.  It’s just hard to separate the wheat from the chaff in recent reviews. I am still looking into the s1r ii model.

spam Online comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 07:41:47 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the help and suggestions. 

And, for the record, I’m not really against olight.  It’s just hard to separate the wheat from the chaff in recent reviews. I am still looking into the s1r ii model.

Just my 2 cents worth:

1) In terms of safety of li-ion rechargeable, I personally favor lights that use only single cell rechargeable, instead of multiple rechargeable.  Reason being if they are put in series, in case one of the cells are over drained, it's harder for the flashlight circuit to detect that.  And the situation could be worse, if the batteries are the unprotected kind.(with no fail safe to prevent it over drain or over charge).

2) Most batteries from really big brand tends to be more reliable(Samsung, Sony/Murata), since they have a big brand to protect and probably have better QC.

3) I test my rechargeable upon arrival, they should have a nominal volt well above 3V.(for ex, 3.7V), if they are really close to 3(3.1, 3.2) or even under 3V, then it could be a dud and I probably wouldn't even want to charge it back up in case something has already failed within.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 06:20:16 PM
I had similar reservations about battery safety when I first made the move to 18650 powered lights about 10 years ago.

I bought a good charger and batteries and have never looked back. Never had a problem with the charger or batteries.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%