Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blade of choice

Kraken · 20 · 1021

Poll

Which blade is your go-to ?

Main blade
12 (50%)
Pen blade
12 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 24

us Offline Kraken

Blade of choice
on: October 05, 2020, 06:11:00 PM
I'm wondering which blade is everyone's go-to for models that have two blades in the build? I used to use the main blade for everything but precision work, but I've changed to using the pen blade for most tasks like opening packages, cutting string or line, scoring the outer sheath on cables, etc. The main blade is reserved larger cutting tasks that the pen blade isn't capable of and for food prep. I'd love to hear everyone else's choice and the reasons behind it.  :popcorn:
Semper Fortis

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Re: Blade of choice
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 07:04:24 PM
When I carried a SAK regularly, if in the comfort of my own home, I usually head straight for the main blade. But if out in public and the small blade was sufficient I would use that.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 07:11:02 PM
When I carried a SAK regularly, if in the comfort of my own home, I usually head straight for the main blade. But if out in public and the small blade was sufficient I would use that.
:like: :iagree: :tu: (don't want to scare the natives  ::) )
They don't like it up 'em!

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 09:06:55 PM
I tend to go for the small blade more often than not but ironically I also replace that with a combo tool quite often when I make my Frankenstein’s! Go figure  :think:

us Offline Kraken

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 10:20:39 PM
I tend to go for the small blade more often than not but ironically I also replace that with a combo tool quite often when I make my Frankenstein’s! Go figure  :think:

:rofl: so what you're saying is you mod yourself out of the option of using the pen blade altogether?
Semper Fortis

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 11:11:35 PM
My preference is for the small/pen blade. My favorite main blade is serrated. Food, rope and maybe cardboard are reasons for me to open the main blade. Most times I prefer the familiar position and precision of the small blade.

Combo tool can replace the main blade with just a bit more effort. I prefer the combo tool in the narrow end for use as a pry bar with the higher compression of the short side backspring. Just needs a spacer...or a thinner backside tool.

I’m not a leftie, but it’s also good for left hand combo tool users...at least for can opening.

‘kamakiri’ style Yeoman.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Kraken

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 11:18:03 PM
My preference is for the small/pen blade. My favorite main blade is serrated. Food, rope and maybe cardboard are reasons for me to open the main blade. Most times I prefer the familiar position and precision of the small blade.

Combo tool can replace the main blade with just a bit more effort. I prefer the combo tool in the narrow end for use as a pry bar with the higher compression of the short side backspring. Just needs a spacer...or a thinner backside tool.

I’m not a leftie, but it’s also good for left hand combo tool users...at least for can opening.

‘kamakiri’ style Yeoman.

I am loving that mod!  :drool: :tu:
Semper Fortis

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 11:25:24 PM
Most jobs I use the main blade and save the razor sharp pen blade for when I need it.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 11:49:15 PM
For me, this applies mainly to the Champion and SwissChamp, since I don't carry my other two bladed options.

My go to is the pen blade, no question about it.  I use it for just about everything.
- it's super easy to find, since its in the first position (I suppose the same argument goes for the big blade which sticks up the highest)
- it is easier to extract: theres less tension on it, and a smaller movement overall... I find with the big blade, I move both the handle and the blade, whereas with the small blade, thats all I move.
- it's easier to close: same as above and can also be done one handed. 
- it has a slimmer blade stock, and is better at some cutting jobs.

It seems that the only thing I use the large blade for is food prep.  I'm ok with that... while some people keep their small bade scalpel sharp, I keep my large blade squeaky clean. 

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 04:49:58 AM
It’s kind of funny...

91mm:  Big blade is go to, small blade is always sharp/reserve

93mm:  Awl is actually go to for packages, zip ties, and such; blade is reserved for tasks that really require it

ca Offline Altis

Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 07:54:42 AM
I use both quite a bit. Each blade is more enjoyable/practical in their own situations.

I go for the small blade if I'm in a public or social setting (assuming the scissors weren't the best choice, which they usually are). The small blade is simply more fun to use, I think.

Otherwise, I tend towards the large blade for most things. Since the large blade has much more mass, it should handle years of sharpening with less perceived change in the blade shape. If you use the small blade primarily and have to sharpen it more often, it could wear out quicker. I find cutting boxes and tape wears an edge surprisingly quickly. I would use the awl (awl the time) for cutting those as it's very heavy duty, but I find it rather difficult to deploy with my nails.

One tip I've found is using the very, err, tip of the main blade is effective for some cuts wear you just need that initial pierce -- saves the blade edge. Can also use the can opener. ( :hatsoff: )

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 11:21:04 AM
On cellidor saks the small blade is my main blade. I'll use it for everything that dosen't require the big blade (due to size or toughness of the cutting task).
Don't worry much about if any of the blades are kept ultra clean or not, ad i generally don't use my sak's on food, if i do it's easy to wash before use  ;)

On 93mm alox i'll use the awl as a heavy duty small blade when ever it can be used as such. I obviously sharpen the edge of the awl as much as it's possible for that.

I would use the awl (awl the time) for cutting those as it's very heavy duty, but I find it rather difficult to deploy with my nails.

Are you referring to the cellidor models back awl...?

I think that the cellidor models awl is probably the easiest tool on the sak to deploy...
You don't "pull" it open..., you "flick" it open.  ;)
I'll just put my index finger on the key ring tab, and my thumb nail on the nick of the awl and just flick it back to open in one continuous move. On the awl it works almost like an assisted opening blade.   :cheers:

I use this principle in a similar way for the bottle opener/can opener
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 03:43:44 PM
The pen blade probably gets used the most as the main blade is mostly used to food (apples mostly).  My Charge blade gets used for the tough stuff.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 06:05:22 PM
Great insights everyone!  :tu:  :cheers:
Semper Fortis

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 06:19:34 PM
I tend to go with the main blade on my 91mm SAK.  I keep the smaller one ready and do use it for appropriate tasks.  Because I carry a 58mm or my Pocket tool chest I'll reach for these scalpel blades when precise cuts or for smaller cut tasks present themselves. 

Heres something interesting, when I hand my 91mm to my partner or daughters I deploy the small blade for their use.  I find they are more careful with it than the larger blade.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kraken

Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 06:40:34 PM
I tend to go with the main blade on my 91mm SAK.  I keep the smaller one ready and do use it for appropriate tasks.  Because I carry a 58mm or my Pocket tool chest I'll reach for these scalpel blades when precise cuts or for smaller cut tasks present themselves. 

Heres something interesting, when I hand my 91mm to my partner or daughters I deploy the small blade for their use.  I find they are more careful with it than the larger blade.

Aloha, that is interesting. I wonder if it's because the blade is smaller and requires more precision when using it?   :think:
Semper Fortis

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 06:52:13 PM
I'd say yes.  They are all blade proficient but I have noticed they exercise more care with smaller blades.   
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: October 06, 2020, 07:36:11 PM
Unless I need the blade length I now tend to go for the pen blade.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 03:32:35 AM
Pen blade does most of what I need (I use the coping blade if I'm carrying a traditional Stockman); and I only bring out the big blade for cutting rope or other large jobs.

I've been putting my Electrician to use a lot lately, and I've noticed the cable blade I'm using for most stuff. It's like the SAK equivalent of a coping blade.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 05:11:48 PM
Before MTO, I used to utilize the large blade most of the time.  But after seeing how everyone's reserving the large blade for food prep, which btw makes perfect sense, I have now utilize the small blade most majority of the time, while keeping the large blade clean for food prep.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%