Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Folding Hunter (Not a Buck 110) challenge

Alan K. · 576 · 17037

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
The Folding Hunter (Not a Buck 110) challenge
on: October 09, 2020, 02:53:47 AM
I still don't own a Buck 110.  I bought the similar Schrade 60 T Golden Bear about 1980 or so and it's still better than the Buck 110.  There. I said it.  I made my choice and that's that.  However, I'm tired of being excluded.  I think I'm just as foolish since my 40 year old Schrade is exactly the same size as a Buck 110.  Therefore, I think there should be another challenge for people who own knives that are the same basic parameters as the Buck but made by other companies.  The Case Hammerhead, Boker 3000, Schrade LB-7, Ka-Bar folding hunter, etc., as long as it is the same size as a Buck 110 but made by anyone else.  I think such a challenge should also run in April and should be called The "Other" Challenge but it could be anytime, since 2021 is pretty open so far.  Not fixed on the name either if someone has a better one.  If anyone else is interested add your name to the list as usual.

01. Alan K.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Re: The Folding Hunter (Not a Buck 110) challenge
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 06:03:17 AM
What? Nobody else wants to do a folding hunter that isn't a Buck 110 challenge? :pok:  I will do it myself if nobody else wants to but I'd rather have some company.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

se Offline RF52

Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 01:20:54 PM
I'll join, if I get a knife that fits the criteria :tu:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline cody6268

Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 04:00:18 PM
With a lot of the lockbacks, Schrade worked bear terminology into the names of nearly all the models in the UH and OT lines. The LB-1 was the "Cub", the LB-2 the "Little Bear", the LB-3 the "Brown Bear", the LB-5 "Smokey" (you know, the bear that is the US Forestry Service mascot); LB-7 is a "Bear Paw", the LB-8 (Delrin Stag handles) the "Papa Bear", the 6OT the "Golden Bear", the 3OT the "Bearhead"; and the 5OT the "Bruin" (an old English name for a brown bear) so it could be worked into the name of the challenge.

Gonna agree with you there. The handles are more rounded (and thus comfortable), the blade profile is a bit better, and with the 6OT, you've got a large lanyard tube that will easily fit paracord. I use mine, even though it is almost like-new. Someone stored the knife in the sheath, and it caused the bolsters to pit pretty noticeably. I even polished them with both silverware cleaner (Cameo) and my old toothpaste trick; and it still left big pits.

Schrade's now sixteen year old 6OTX, in many ways, is also better than the 110LT Slim Select, as it's drop point and has a thumb disk instead of thumb stud. I need to order a pocket clip. Bought a beat-up used one for peanuts that someone took the clip off and lost it. Good thing is that factory leftover clips are thirty-five cents. Just I don't know what screws to use. Maybe I'll find a set that fits in my knife gift boxes I've kept; where I store the Torx wrenches and extra screws they often come with.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 05:09:36 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 04:53:02 PM
Camillus  :tu:

I bought a Buck 110 and a Camillus around the same time probably 20 years ago.  I've since sold the Buck and still use the Camillus.

Not sure if mine qualifies though. It's built on the standard #3 handle, but the blade is a drop point or Kephart style instead of a clip point. It's an R-17 blade with a thumb hole ... Evidently a run of blades made for Remington.  For several years before the factory went out of business, they were known to put together random combinations from leftovers and sell them. Perhaps their inconsistency was their downfall.  Or perhaps it was their business practices... Since Remington seems not to have used the R-17 blades.

All the same ... I chose it for the blade shape. The taper to the point of the blade starts significantly closer to the point than the clip point of the Buck 110, so the forward two inches of blade has considerably more steel and a thicker stock.  I really enjoy using it.

se Offline RF52

Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 10:28:27 PM
Just wondering if a Buck Selector would qualify?
The old one, not the new model.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 10:32:31 PM
A good name for this challenge might be. "Fooled You! The Foolish Fools Of April, Fooling Around and Getting Fooled".  Or something like that...

us Offline cody6268

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 11:25:04 PM

I would say so, given the frame is about the same as the Bucklites of the era. I have the 428, which has a slipjoint 110-like blade that is nonremovable, and a socket for other blades. I like this setup a lot more than the single-blade as it allows me the basic 110 blade and whatever other tools I need.

That reminds me, I need to get the tipped blade on mine fixed, and pick up some blades. Got mine with no extra blades as a part of a knife lot. Unfortunately, individual blades are like $30 or so a piece. Buck told me that I couldn't use Selector 2.0 blades, which sucks, as most places have them for $10-15 each. That is, vs. a Selector 2.0 kit which is like $75 with three blades.

se Offline RF52

Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 11:36:43 PM
I would say so, given the frame is about the same as the Bucklites of the era. I have the 428, which has a slipjoint 110-like blade that is nonremovable, and a socket for other blades. I like this setup a lot more than the single-blade as it allows me the basic 110 blade and whatever other tools I need.

That reminds me, I need to get the tipped blade on mine fixed, and pick up some blades. Got mine with no extra blades as a part of a knife lot. Unfortunately, individual blades are like $30 or so a piece. Buck told me that I couldn't use Selector 2.0 blades, which sucks, as most places have them for $10-15 each. That is, vs. a Selector 2.0 kit which is like $75 with three blades.
Mine has the slipjoint clip point blade, along with a serrated and gutting blade i think that I can change between :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 07:40:43 AM
The Buck 110 has a 3.75 inch (95.25 mm) blade and a 5 inch (127mm) handle.  For a knife to be in direct competition with the Buck 110 it has to be a folding hunting knife of approximately the same size, but from a different manufacturer.  The Selector is still a Buck knife, but because it is excluded from the Fools of April Buck 110 challenge (and because I'd like to see it) I think I might have to allow it.  To set this up I'd still have to know if this challenge should run in April to coincide with the Fools of April challenge or is there another time that might work better for everyone?  Nobody has actually signed up yet.

se Offline RF52

Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 07:42:42 AM
The Buck 110 has a 3.75 inch (95.25 mm) blade and a 5 inch (127mm) handle.  For a knife to be in direct competition with the Buck 110 it has to be a folding hunting knife of approximately the same size, but from a different manufacturer.  The Selector is still a Buck knife, but because it is excluded from the Fools of April Buck 110 challenge (and because I'd like to see it) I think I might have to allow it.  To set this up I'd still have to know if this challenge should run in April to coincide with the Fools of April challenge or is there another time that might work better for everyone?  Nobody has actually signed up yet.
If the Selector is approved I'll be up for a Fools of fools april challenge :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 03:00:28 AM
Should we do this in April or another month? I'm thinking if we do it another month (perhaps in May) then those who want to can do both challenges. Please let me know who is in and if you want to play in April or May by adding your name to the list and puting your preferred month next to your name. 

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 03:56:42 AM
I could probably do a May challenge.

I think I have the appropriate Kershaw somewhere......

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 04:27:03 AM
I think another month would be better all around.

se Offline RF52

Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 09:30:11 AM
I'm in for May if it fits more people :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 10:13:02 AM
How about calling the challenge "I May not have a Buck 110" :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 10:53:52 AM
I'm in for FOA, so may would be a better month for me and interesting to test something out back-to-back.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 10:59:15 AM

Or "Buckless"?   "Smarty Pants and May" (SPAM)?  :pok: :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 03:49:52 PM

:like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 04:02:40 PM
To keep it generic and easier to make a badge for it would be better to call it something like "The Lockback Hunter 30 day challenge " or something like that.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 05:52:42 PM
May it is then.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 06:46:50 PM
To keep it generic and easier to make a badge for it would be better to call it something like "The Lockback Hunter 30 day challenge " or something like that.

For badge purposes the Fools of April badge is a "30-day 110" badge. Perfect.   :tu:

But we'll keep the thread title...and future thread titles...as "Fools of April" because 1) it's funny, and 2) I know how to search for it......  :rofl:

I'd encourage a creative challenge thread title for Alan's challenge, but keep the actual challenge name and badge simple and self-explanatory, e.g. " 30-day LBH " to be earned in the "May the Folder be with You" challenge. Or something.

My ¢2.  :dunno:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: October 12, 2020, 06:53:50 PM

For badge purposes the Fools of April badge is a "30-day 110" badge. Perfect.   :tu:

But we'll keep the thread title...and future thread titles...as "Fools of April" because 1) it's funny, and 2) I know how to search for it......  :rofl:

I'd encourage a creative challenge thread title for Alan's challenge, but keep the actual challenge name and badge simple and self-explanatory, e.g. " 30-day LBH " to be earned in the "May the Folder be with You" challenge. Or something.

My ¢2.  :dunno:

This is kinda what I meant but didn't quite convey in my post   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: October 12, 2020, 07:33:25 PM

se Offline RF52

Reply #25 on: October 12, 2020, 08:12:36 PM
01. Alan K.
02. RF52

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: October 12, 2020, 08:43:12 PM
Does this count?  It's a 5 inch handle, same as a Camillus #3 as far as I can tell.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #27 on: October 12, 2020, 08:55:43 PM
Does this count?  It's a 5 inch handle, same as a Camillus #3 as far as I can tell.
I have no idea if it counts but, that is bloody lovely  :drool: :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: October 12, 2020, 09:33:55 PM
 :iagree:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 12:15:41 AM
I love that one Jack.  So let's call this the "May the Folder be With You" challenge and it will be a 30 day folding hunter challenge.  (30 day FH) I don't want to limit this to locking hunters because that excludes the folks that aren't allowed locking knives, and unlike the Buck 110 challenge I don't want to exclude anyone.  So, as long as a knife is close in size and shape to a Buck 110, locking or not, it can be in this challenge.  The challenge is not open to multibladed traditional knives like a stockman or trapper, or to tactical knives.  To qualify the knife must be a folding hunter that is as close as possible to being a Buck 110 but is not a Buck 110 and that's it.  Take a picture every day and try not to use any other knife for the whole month.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%