Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Bolster

Tsquare · 101 · 11012

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Bolster
Reply #60 on: September 26, 2021, 12:02:15 AM
Holy crap!  This dude looks exactly like someone I work with, even down to the cap and glasses.  :o   

The video mentions that the Rev isn't discontinued yet.  Here's my guess why -  the Bolster is a replacement for the Rev, and it looks like the Bolster uses more similar parts to the Sidekick/Wingman than the Rev.  If so, that would lower production cost over the Rev.  I assume that they still have a lot of Rev parts, and that they'll discontinue it when the run out/low.  I think the price point will be the same as the Rev, maybe $5 more.

Really??? I was the one who posted the video lol, have we worked together? A couple of new Pieces of info:

-COSTCO exclusive Tool!
- $39.99
-I will be getting mine tomorrow in store.

In restrospect I was a little harsh..in part because there is a chance that it could be sold in COSTCO in Canada which would easily make it the cheapest Leatherman they have access too.

Some of that info was probably gotten from this thread for that video ;) :D

100% of it actually hehe. You guys are the best multitool source on the internet! Hmm, I need to add a link to multitool.org on that video I just realized.  :think:

Credit added  :salute: I'll make sure to remember to add that in the future.

Cheers!

This tool has no logic or purpose.  Like really no point.

Will I buy one?

:facepalm:

Yes.

I was in the same boat till I realized it was a COSTCO exclusive at $40. My big issue is WTF is up with Leatherman and their ZERO marketing strategy?? have they smurfing given up completely???? it requires NO BUDGET AT ALL to generate HYPE on SOCIAL MEDIA! I just don't get it.  :facepalm: :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 12:15:39 AM by Maxlvledc »

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: September 26, 2021, 12:29:06 AM
Really??? I was the one who posted the video lol, have we worked together? A couple of new Pieces of info:

-COSTCO exclusive Tool!
- $39.99

In restrospect I was a little harsh..in part because there is a chance that it could be sold in COSTCO in Canada which would easily make it the cheapest Leatherman they have access too.

Ok, count me as completely unobservant, but I didn't notice the Youtube channel and your username matched.  :facepalm: 

I wish I could post the guy's pic here, but I can't take pictures at work (I work at a facility that does R&D for DoD).  He's slightly darker and slightly older, but you two could easily be brothers. 

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: September 26, 2021, 01:01:17 AM
Ok, count me as completely unobservant, but I didn't notice the Youtube channel and your username matched.  :facepalm: 

I wish I could post the guy's pic here, but I can't take pictures at work (I work at a facility that does R&D for DoD).  He's slightly darker and slightly older, but you two could easily be brothers.

lols

also!

https://www.leatherman.com/costco-bolster.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: September 26, 2021, 02:14:37 AM

100% of it actually hehe. You guys are the best multitool source on the internet! Hmm, I need to add a link to multitool.org on that video I just realized.  :think:

Cheers!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

We surely do appreciate it :hatsoff:

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: September 26, 2021, 03:02:58 AM

Deserved! someone is always posting here with something Juicy. I should have mentioned it in the video somewhere formally though..I will next time.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: September 26, 2021, 03:18:02 AM
Sounds good :tu: :like:

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #66 on: September 26, 2021, 07:28:36 PM

-COSTCO exclusive Tool!
- $39.99
Okay, now the Bolster makes sense to me. It wouldn't be economical for Leatherman to develop a new multitool for sale exclusively from one store chain, but by combining elements of the Sidekick and Rev, they were probably able to get the Bolster into production with a minimum of R&D and retooling. In fact, I bet the only unique part is the "Bolster" nameplate.

Heck, it looks to me like creating a Bolster from Sidekick and Rev parts is well within the ability of any Leatherman modder on the forum. It would probably be a simple as removing two plier pivot screws and swapping handles.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #67 on: September 26, 2021, 08:00:28 PM
Leatherman did the same thing with the Juice line. There was a XE6 Pro with a corkscrew and cork lifter available only at Costco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #68 on: September 26, 2021, 09:20:48 PM

I never could find a link ??? I may just be missing it :think: :cheers:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: September 27, 2021, 04:54:50 AM
I never could find a link ??? I may just be missing it :think: :cheers:

It appears the thing missing is the link, not in the description or comments of either Bolster vid.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

nz Offline Pauldmmwc

Reply #70 on: September 28, 2021, 12:55:59 AM
Hello
I see  from comments that the Costco price is $39.99.  Fleabay has one for 59.95 with 9.90  U.S shipping cost. 
Really not worth it for a Bolster.  If it had something special to offer maybe.  A waste of resources that will be better spent on the purchase of brewing supplies.   :D

:cheers:
Semper Sitienti !!

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: September 28, 2021, 09:39:53 PM
It appears the thing missing is the link, not in the description or comments of either Bolster vid.

oh??? I thought the link worked? I'll double check, if not will update it. It works in the most recent one..the one where I lose my cool a little  :facepalm: .

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: September 28, 2021, 10:02:43 PM
oh??? I thought the link worked? I'll double check, if not will update it. It works in the most recent one..the one where I lose my cool a little  :facepalm: .

There is no link in the description or the comments of any video, if you're referring to a YT card then there wasn't one in the shout out to MTO in the latest video, nor is a YT card the same as posting a link in the comments or description.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: September 28, 2021, 11:04:32 PM
There is no link in the description or the comments of any video, if you're referring to a YT card then there wasn't one in the shout out to MTO in the latest video, nor is a YT card the same as posting a link in the comments or description.

... am I reading into this as a snippy comment or am I misunderstanding? There is both a thank you in my video and in the description.  As far as a link it was missing the www. But was always there.

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: September 29, 2021, 12:29:26 AM
... am I reading into this as a snippy comment or am I misunderstanding? There is both a thank you in my video and in the description.  As far as a link it was missing the www. But was always there.

Read into it what you want, I don't think I've intended to be snippy in my entire life. Here is what you said:

Cheers!

'Credit added' presumably meant that you retroactively added credit to the video that was images and information from this thread.

I'm going to be blunt here because I've grown very fond and at home here, and I'm rather protective of it and want good things for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you'd do, didn't happen; the description says nothing about MTO, nor was there a comment about it either. You said you'd include it in the next video and you mention the site in the video and in the description, however you said that you provided a link... you didn't. We know that you're able to correctly create a link in YT, as your description template has half a dozen functioning links to your social media and various affiliate programs.

You may think that this is harsh, if that's the case then sorry, just looking for what you said you did is all.

Offline bobartig

Reply #75 on: September 29, 2021, 05:38:40 PM
Heck, it looks to me like creating a Bolster from Sidekick and Rev parts is well within the ability of any Leatherman modder on the forum. It would probably be a simple as removing two plier pivot screws and swapping handles.

The only piece I'm curious about is how the thinner handle engages with the plier pivot. The Sidekick has the grooved pivots similar to rebar design, and the handle has a forked spring in it that adds a bit of friction against the groove to keep from getting floppy. The Rev doesn't have this design, and the plier pivots are smooth, although I think there is still a spring plate that rests against this surface.

So that means one of several things:
- Bolster is just a mod job and one side has sidekick plier pivots against the rev handle spring plates, but that still "works"
- Bolster has sidekick style plier pivots, and the Rev handle now has the rebar-style fork spring design.
- Bolster has "hybrid" pliers where one pivot is grooved and the other is smooth, so that the handles can each be sidekick or rev-styled, respectively.
- Some other thing, I haven't looked at it yet and I don't have one.

[EDIT] - NM, I have this backwards. the REV has grooved plier heads, but nothing from the handles appears to interface with them. The Sidekick/Wingman have the flat plier pivots and spring plate design. The Bolster appears to have spring plates and smooth pivots, but I can't see if the "rev" handle had a spring plate added to it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 05:44:59 PM by bobartig »

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: September 29, 2021, 05:40:59 PM
The only piece I'm curious about is how the thinner handle engages with the plier pivot. The Sidekick has the grooved pivots similar to rebar design, and the handle has a forked spring in it that adds a bit of friction against the groove to keep from getting floppy. The Rev doesn't have this design, and the plier pivots are smooth, although I think there is still a spring plate that rests against this surface.

- Bolster is just a mod job and one side has sidekick plier pivots against the rev handle spring plates, but that still "works"
- Bolster has sidekick style plier pivots, and the Rev handle now has the rebar-style fork spring design.
- Bolster has "hybrid" pliers where one pivot is grooved and the other is smooth, so that the handles can each be sidekick or rev-styled, respectively.

In my experience you can balisong the Rev open easily up to the point of the open position detents, so I wouldn't expect much personally.

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #77 on: September 29, 2021, 08:46:34 PM

[EDIT] - NM, I have this backwards. the REV has grooved plier heads, but nothing from the handles appears to interface with them. The Sidekick/Wingman have the flat plier pivots and spring plate design. The Bolster appears to have spring plates and smooth pivots, but I can't see if the "rev" handle had a spring plate added to it.

Smooth pivots. Spring plate on Sidekick side. No spring plate on Rev side.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #78 on: September 29, 2021, 09:30:08 PM
Gentlemen, let's remember that written words can often be read in a very different frame of mind than they were written.  We have a longstanding rule here at MTO, that if there are multiple ways to take something, we assume it was the nicest possible way, because MTO is a happy place.

So, if you read something and think it is offensive, take a deep breath, count to ten and read it again in a happier state.  We don't tolerate members abusing each other, so it's a pretty safe assumption.

That having been said, if you think someone may be saying something they shouldn't, there is a button to report it to a moderator, which, I guarantee, will be more effective than two more people on the internet duking it out.   :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #79 on: September 29, 2021, 10:02:02 PM
 :iagree:

Also, can we breathe out after we have finished counting to ten? A quick reply would be appreciated...

fr Offline Frenchephaistos

Reply #80 on: September 29, 2021, 10:16:03 PM
 :rofl:
:iagree:

Also, can we breathe out after we have finished counting to ten? A quick reply would be appreciated...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #81 on: September 29, 2021, 10:20:01 PM
Well said Boss. 

I am not up on the new tools for the last several years.  I think the last LM that really piqued my interest was the Signal.  That said, I was a big fan of the Wingman and Sidekick and if these new tools dont at least match up to them then  :think:.   I'm all about a budget tool to kick off the MT search.  Its how I began years ago.  Thankfully early on I bought a Wave.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Adam5

Reply #82 on: September 30, 2021, 03:55:44 AM
First impression:

Same irritating handle splay as the Rev.

The spring-action plier head is okay with me. I am use to plier-type tools with and without springs.

The wirecutter is anvil instead of bypass. I did not pay attention to the Rev plier head, and I have never held a Wingman or Sidekick. Are they anvil cutters also?

There is a notch at the pivot end of the wire cutter, but the diagram does not mention the ability to cut hard wire.

I am not a fan of serrated blades, but I like the Sidekick serrated blade included with the Bolster. I also like the package cutter that the Rev has but was not included with the Bolster.

I am no fan of the file/ruler.

Overall, I like the Bolster slightly better than the Rev. But neither of them beats a PST in my opinion.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #83 on: September 30, 2021, 04:05:48 AM
First impression:

The spring-action plier head is okay with me. I am use to plier-type tools with and without springs.

The wirecutter is anvil instead of bypass. I did not pay attention to the Rev plier head, and I have never held a Wingman or Sidekick. Are they anvil cutters also?

There is a notch at the pivot end of the wire cutter, but the diagram does not mention the ability to cut hard wire.

I am not a fan of serrated blades, but I like the Sidekick serrated blade included with the Bolster. I also like the package cutter that the Rev has but was not included with the Bolster.

Overall, I like the Bolster slightly better than the Rev. But neither of them beats a PST in my opinion.
Yes, the Sidekick/Wingman both have anvil wire cutters.

Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: September 30, 2021, 04:31:14 AM
First impression:

It is an unsprung/unassisted with bypass cutters head; I read once that it is the same pliers head from the now discontinued Leap.

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: October 01, 2021, 02:13:13 PM

MAN did you say it...I don't know if it will ever be possible to top the PST.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #86 on: October 01, 2021, 02:46:12 PM

If you want a Bolster, just buy a Sidekick and never use the saw. :cheers:

In all seriousness, why?  :think:
Why discontinue the REV/Wingman/Sidekick, only to introduce the Bolster? And why does it have neither the saw nor the scissors? Not even the excellent package opener that so many people are fond of? :think:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: October 01, 2021, 03:26:10 PM
Naaah, you can still get one of the Wingman/Sidekick/Rev mt, as for what I've read (mostly here, on the different threads and the Leatherman website) the series is not discontinued (yet); the Bolster appears to be an exclusive model for Costco (and to that matter for those at the CONUS; haven't seen it here yet) for the time being.

I think that this tool and the Rev could be good "gateway" tools for the uniniciated, for gifting, or to have as a secondary, in-kitchen-drawer tool.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #88 on: November 29, 2021, 05:39:58 PM
I picked up one today at Costco.  Why?  It distracts me from the sad reality that I will never be an F1 driver nor play Twister with Caroline Catz. That's worth $39.99 right there.  I will prolly keep it unopened, because that's how I ride.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: November 29, 2021, 08:26:33 PM
Congrats pnoodle :woohoo: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30