Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lots of retired LMs listed on their site.

Aloha · 36 · 1612

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Lots of retired LMs listed on their site.
on: October 11, 2020, 04:08:26 PM
I was browsing LM site and decided to have a look at the retired tools.  Kinda surprised whats all been retired.  I know someone posted about the Juices but seems LM is simplifying their offerings.  I was surprised to see the Wingman and Sidekick still being offered.   

I haven't browsed LM site in a while. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: Lots of retired LMs listed on their site.
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 07:37:54 PM
I was browsing LM site and decided to have a look at the retired tools.  Kinda surprised whats all been retired.  I know someone posted about the Juices but seems LM is simplifying their offerings.  I was surprised to see the Wingman and Sidekick still being offered.   

I haven't browsed LM site in a while.

They're already out of the Style CS... Only the Micra remains for a small tool with decent scissors.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 12:30:49 PM
I find it interesting that they have expunged any reference to the Leap from their website. It is not for sale, or on the discontinued list.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 01:17:02 PM
The shame was too much... :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 03:53:36 PM
 :D.  I like the Leap.  Its is funny tho.  Didn't even realize it was omitted.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 03:56:00 PM
I actually keep a Leap in my survival kit. It's basically a sturdier Juice in my use. While it has the same big sturdy non-spring loaded pliers as the Rev, it's in a lighter platform.  In my opinion, it just needed a little tweaking. Use a slightly better blade profile that is NOT removable. Make the lock releases metal, not molded into the nylon plastic frame. Add a few more tools.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 04:04:13 PM
:D.  I like the Leap.  Its is funny tho.  Didn't even realize it was omitted.

Same here, I too actually like the Leap.  It is easy on the pocket, while offering a large pliers.  It's a shame they are omitted, and why?  Was there a lawsuit against them or recalled(don't remember hearing any)?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 04:48:28 PM
There was definitely a recall. The first ones had the issue of easy blade removal...which was supposed to be permanent once attached to the body. The second version fixed this safety issue. If your leap has 4 ridges, then it is a first gen and is unsafe with the blade installed. The second gen features 3 bumps on the top of the knife blade. The bumps are an easy way for Leatherman to tell which one you have, as there is no outside visible difference...or any evident on the separate blade attachment point..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:56:33 PM by Chako »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 04:52:16 PM
Now I gotta find my Leap.  Hmm where did I store it  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 04:55:48 PM
I have both the first and second generation Leaps in all 3 colours. When they did a recall, I never bothered returning them as I wanted to see what was different from the fixed ones. I can tell you it is all internal from what I could see comparing both sets.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 08:45:34 PM
I actually keep a Leap in my survival kit. It's basically a sturdier Juice in my use. While it has the same big sturdy non-spring loaded pliers as the Rev, it's in a lighter platform.  In my opinion, it just needed a little tweaking. Use a slightly better blade profile that is NOT removable. Make the lock releases metal, not molded into the nylon plastic frame. Add a few more tools.

Speaking of which, has also disappeared from the NA website but has not made it to the retired list; still on racks at the big-orange-home-improvement-stores and amazon.  :shrug: :dunno:

Any ideas as of its whereabouts? I still like mine, and from amazon reviews it has good reviews amongst general public.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 08:59:03 PM
There was definitely a recall. The first ones had the issue of easy blade removal...which was supposed to be permanent once attached to the body. The second version fixed this safety issue. If your leap has 4 ridges, then it is a first gen and is unsafe with the blade installed. The second gen features 3 bumps on the top of the knife blade. The bumps are an easy way for Leatherman to tell which one you have, as there is no outside visible difference...or any evident on the separate blade attachment point..
Hello,
In all the four Leaps I have it is extremely easy to remove the blade.
I did install and un-install the blades many times., and I think they are all the post-recall versions.
Perhaps the recall was for a different problem?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 09:47:34 PM
I am fairly certain of my info. Maybe this is why Leatherman shut the whole concept down.  :think:

I know from the instructions that the blade once installed was supposed to be permenant. It is not supposed to be removable.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:53:42 PM by Chako »

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 09:02:27 AM
Have a look at this discussion
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,54670.180.html

Statement from Leatherman regarding the recent Recall on this tool:

The issue with the Leap was only with the optional knife blade, not the full tool. We have an internal standard about how many pounds of pressure it should take before the knife blade (or any implement) slips past the liner lock. As we began production of the tool, we found that the Leap was not quite meeting this internal standard despite earlier testing. Obviously this would always be unacceptable, but because it’s a tool intended for younger users, it was especially so and we immediately enacted a voluntary recall with the CPSC. Luckily, not many had even reached retailer shelves by this point, and very few made it to consumers. Our engineers figured out the problem quickly, got it fixed so it was well above our standard, and got their solution approved by the CPSC. Again, the issue was only with the optional knife blade, so if you were just using the tool without the blade installed, they are completely safe.

The only affected products were sold during late August/early September. All affected product was pulled from shelves in September, so consumers should not be concerned that they might be buying the old version. Right now the new versions are just being stocked to shelves at places like Cabela’s, REI, and others. If folks are concerned about telling the difference, the old version has four bumps on the ridge of the knife blade, and the new version has three.

Perhaps after the recall they just made more difficult to remove the blades, but not impossible.
Again from my experience the process to remove the blade is very simple, and does not require much force.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:07:32 AM by basilio »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 11:27:30 AM
Basilio, we are talking about the same thing here. The instructions for the Leap clearly states that once the knife is installed, is to throw away the safety knife carrier because it wouldn't be needed anymore. The knife blade is not designed to be removable once installed. I even called Leatherman about this at the time and they confirmed that point with me. The fact that they failed in this is probably the reason why they removed it from production. The first batch, the knife was very easy to remove once installed. It was not designed to be that.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 04:31:31 PM
Either way its not on the list of discontinued tools and thats just weird.  Is Leatherman this embarrassed or just wanting to forget they produced it in the first place?  I was happy to get one tho it was purely for my collection. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 05:16:32 PM
I wasn't even aware it was discontinues until I posted them over on Reddit, and I got a few people wanting me to sell them for their kids. It is not listed in the US or Can website store, nor is it evident in the discontinues list. I have no clue. :dunno:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 05:29:20 PM
To be honest, given the current thread of ultralight knives, I do wish LM would go a step forward of continue development of Leap lightweight platform, than going backwards eliminating them just because one model don't work as intended.

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 07:20:38 PM
 :iagree:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 08:00:07 PM
So they don't list the Leap on the main retired section, but it is still on their site.  Maybe they just missed adding it to the main page? :think:

https://www.leatherman.com/en_CA/leap-358.html?dwvar_358_color=14&cgid=pocket-size-multi-tools&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoJX8BRCZARIsAEWBFMIrj452tcRYPd_n2uXVfyb558KX2xNBKA0_fS_Gaq07wxfeMHbysEQaAmrGEALw_wcB#start=1

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 13, 2020, 08:13:55 PM
Ok; it is really gone!  :surrender:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: October 13, 2020, 10:13:27 PM
Went to US page and searched.

SEARCH RESULTS

WE'RE SORRY, NO PRODUCTS WERE FOUND FOR YOUR SEARCH: LEAP

DID YOU MEAN: LEATHERMAN?
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: October 13, 2020, 10:18:06 PM
Leatherman has seemed to have really lost their way since the Free unveiling last year.

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 05:32:12 AM
Speaking of which, has also disappeared from the NA website but has not made it to the retired list; still on racks at the big-orange-home-improvement-stores and amazon.  :shrug: :dunno:

Any ideas as of its whereabouts? I still like mine, and from amazon reviews it has good reviews amongst general public.

Well, went to my local store today and, no more Revs on the rack, even price tag/UPC was gone; same thing happened to the MP600'S. The only mt they're selling is the NXT.  :sa:  :facepalm:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 08:45:40 AM
on eBay there are 2 Leaps advertised as rare and discontinued  :) 
eBay sellers move fast....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 01:13:16 AM
on eBay there are 2 Leaps advertised as rare and discontinued  :) 
eBay sellers move fast....

:iagree: :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: October 15, 2020, 01:13:40 AM
Leatherman has seemed to have really lost their way since the Free unveiling last year.

:iagree: :oops: :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: October 15, 2020, 01:15:06 AM
To be honest, given the current thread of ultralight knives, I do wish LM would go a step forward of continue development of Leap lightweight platform, than going backwards eliminating them just because one model don't work as intended.

The concept of the Leap is very good and just a few tweaks and it would be an awesome lightweight MT :salute:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 15, 2020, 01:17:54 AM

Seems like they are going to fill that niche with Skeletools of different colors.

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 15, 2020, 02:25:29 AM

Did someone say Leap?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69