Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Farmer X 30 Day Challenge 16775

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,862

Nix us

Re: Victorinox Farmer X 30 Day Challenge
« Reply #990 on: March 30, 2021, 11:24:35 PM »
That's a good looking burger and chips!    :tu:

heterodox, not in the box
No Life Club Posts: 2,667
« Reply #991 on: March 31, 2021, 01:03:30 AM »
Echotech, Coco is a good actor! :D

A little too good Rizio  :rofl:

To celebrate Day-30,,

I am making my first homemade chili!
JR

That's some good looking chili you got there JR  :like:

No eat, no treat  :dunno: (Give Coco a bone, covered in meat  :pok: )

It's her 11th birthday tomorrow Surge, she'll definitely be even more spoiled than normal  :D

That's a cool new knife!  I always think the blade shape got character!

:like:

Thanks comis  :cheers: :tu:

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,900
« Reply #992 on: March 31, 2021, 02:30:16 AM »
Badge awarded to those that applied.  Well done.  Are any of you gonna continue to carry the FX or will you take a break and try something else? 

Esse Quam Videri
Point Of No Return Posts: 30,911 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #993 on: March 31, 2021, 02:57:47 AM »
Badge awarded to those that applied.  Well done.  Are any of you gonna continue to carry the FX or will you take a break and try something else?
It’s staying my edc!
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!
« Reply #994 on: March 31, 2021, 03:07:00 AM »
I'm guessing the sheath is working out? 

Esse Quam Videri
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,403 Born to multitask.
« Reply #995 on: March 31, 2021, 03:10:03 AM »

The badge is in the "Site" category, not the "Challenge" category. No wonder I could not find it.
No Life Club Posts: 2,667
« Reply #996 on: March 31, 2021, 03:12:04 AM »
Thanks Aloha :tu:
I’ll definitely be carrying it more in future but will have to wait until I’m not on a challenge :cheers:
« Reply #997 on: March 31, 2021, 03:23:33 AM »
The badge is in the "Site" category, not the "Challenge" category. No wonder I could not find it.

Awarded. 

Esse Quam Videri
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,734
« Reply #998 on: March 31, 2021, 03:30:40 AM »
Day 30

New SAK, Awl to the rescue  :D

I liked the performance of the FX, it handled everything i threw at it very well, with the exception of Phillips screws. I just don't like the can opener as my single means for them. But i guess that is personal preference, as other people seem to be doing fine with it. It's just not for me.

I will continue to carry the FX every now and then, but i am looking forward to carry whatever my heart desires  :cheers:

« Reply #999 on: March 31, 2021, 03:31:36 AM »
I'm guessing the sheath is working out?
Yes / no, we had to go somewhere the other day so I switched back because I didn’t want it looking like I was wearing a mini holster, so I have yet to switch back, yeah the pancake is nice but I just haven’t really broken it in and gotten a feel for it,,
JR

As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!
No Life Club Posts: 1,079 Queen's Venturer
« Reply #1000 on: March 31, 2021, 03:36:46 AM »
The one thing I knew I'd get out of the challenge is the dead certainty that I don't need a saw...but I like having one anyway.

When I'm out cycling I'll sometimes carry a Rambler instead, but the Fx is still my reigning favourite.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,677
« Reply #1001 on: March 31, 2021, 04:51:02 AM »
Day 30

(Image removed from quote.)

I liked the performance of the FX, it handled everything i threw at it very well, with the exception of Phillips screws. I just don't like the can opener as my single means for them. But i guess that is personal preference, as other people seem to be doing fine with it. It's just not for me.

I will continue to carry the FX every now and then, but i am looking forward to carry whatever my heart desires  :cheers:
Nice new SAK.

I understand the feeling about phillips screws and the can opener.  The can opener can handle most, but I do miss the inline phillips when not carrying my Yeoman.

The one thing I knew I'd get out of the challenge is the dead certainty that I don't need a saw...but I like having one anyway.

When I'm out cycling I'll sometimes carry a Rambler instead, but the Fx is still my reigning favourite.

I think a lot of people have their favorites that may have tools that aren’t necessarily needed.

Yes / no, we had to go somewhere the other day so I switched back because I didn’t want it looking like I was wearing a mini holster, so I have yet to switch back, yeah the pancake is nice but I just haven’t really broken it in and gotten a feel for it,,
JR
Sometimes new gear requires a breaking and getting used to period.  Hopefully you come to like it.

« Reply #1002 on: March 31, 2021, 05:38:07 AM »
Day 30

The Farmer X helped cut up and apple, used the bottle opener tip to change out some batteries, and also cut some treats for Fisher.

This month went surprisingly fast and was a fun challenge.  The Farmer X is a really nice carry, although the saw isn’t really a tool I usually need.  I do foresee the Farmer X becoming a permanent part of my emergency bag.

« Reply #1003 on: March 31, 2021, 05:42:44 AM »

Thanks Aloha for awarding the badges.

I know for me the Farmer X will not be a regular carry, but will probably see occasionally carry when out hiking or camping.

No Life Club Posts: 1,079 Queen's Venturer
« Reply #1004 on: March 31, 2021, 06:11:02 AM »
Day 30
I'm not sure why, but the Farmer X makes me feel like an old-timey adventurer. I know — it's weird.

It sure looks the part, though.

Step one at the start of the challenge was to fix its loose pivots. That's probably a metaphor.

End: Day 30
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,403 Born to multitask.
Hero Member Posts: 662 Guillaume
« Reply #1006 on: March 31, 2021, 07:00:09 AM »
Thanks Aloha.
 :tu:
To answer the question I won't carry it I have a new challenge. Today I'll carry my first customised knife I made and maybe one day during the challenge.
 :hatsoff:
But FX is one of my EDC when I'm in the woods forest or hiking.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 07:06:57 AM by guibur »

My first name : Guillaume + my name Bur***** = guibur

"Soyez grands par les faits, et simples en paroles."

My YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbyvNcXV7KGEfQVgnCcY4Yg
Sr. Member Posts: 305
« Reply #1007 on: March 31, 2021, 07:01:40 AM »
Day 30
Another no use day.
This was a cool challenge with a great group of guys.
The FX would be a back-up tool for me,I like a Phillips driver in the mix,and maybe a file.
I am considering modding an FX with a file and in-line phillips. Time will tell.
Right now,I'm jonesing for a Herculese and Work Champ though  :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 07:09:22 AM by Humayd A R Mahomedy »
No Life Club Posts: 2,347
« Reply #1008 on: March 31, 2021, 08:52:51 AM »
Thanks for the badge Aloha! I’m sure I’ll be carrying the FX in future, but not in April as I’m doing a PX challenge- I really ought to do that one as it’s probably my most frequent go-to SAK, and next to Pioneer/soldiers my second most numerous model in my collection.
Sr. Member Posts: 305
« Reply #1009 on: March 31, 2021, 04:26:34 PM »
thanks for the badge
 :D
« Reply #1010 on: March 31, 2021, 04:47:21 PM »
It certainly is a nice set of implements in a very sturdy package.  I can see how many of you will not put it away anytime soon only to be forgotten and onto the next tool.  These challenges really push us to engage with the tool and carry it.  Well done by all.   

Esse Quam Videri

Nix us

« Reply #1011 on: March 31, 2021, 07:12:38 PM »
It certainly is a nice set of implements in a very sturdy package.  I can see how many of you will not put it away anytime soon only to be forgotten and onto the next tool.  These challenges really push us to engage with the tool and carry it.  Well done by all  awl.   

Fixed...and....  :iagree:

No Life Club Posts: 2,698
« Reply #1012 on: March 31, 2021, 07:37:33 PM »
Thanks Aloha.
 :tu:
To answer the question I won't carry it I have a new challenge. Today I'll carry my first customised knife I made and maybe one day during the challenge.
 :hatsoff:
But FX is one of my EDC when I'm in the woods forest or hiking.
The best of British to you on the next adventure  :salute: :tu:

They don't like it up 'em!
No Life Club Posts: 2,698
« Reply #1013 on: March 31, 2021, 07:40:14 PM »
Day 30

(Image removed from quote.)

:like: Nice. I'm still mourning for my one that didn't arrive  :'( (thanks US Customs :rant: )

They don't like it up 'em!
« Reply #1014 on: March 31, 2021, 08:54:35 PM »
It certainly is a nice set of implements in a very sturdy package.  I can see how many of you will not put it away anytime soon only to be forgotten and onto the next tool.  These challenges really push us to engage with the tool and carry it.  Well done by all.   
It is a great toolset, especially for more outdoorsy activities.  I really like challenges, for the exact reason you point out, of really using the tool. 

One unexpected thing I discovered during the course of this challenge that I wasn’t really expecting is that I really gained an appreciation for the awl.  I found myself using it for box opening, scoring items, etc.  For this reason, I think I’ve come to favor the Farmer X more than the 91mm with similar toolset.

Nix us

« Reply #1015 on: March 31, 2021, 09:41:30 PM »
 :iagree:

The inline awl is a fabulous tool. Syph made me a "Compacter": knife, scissors, awl. Super thin, super in the pocket, and does most awl I need in an EDC....90% of the time.   :tu:

« Reply #1016 on: April 01, 2021, 12:13:23 AM »
:iagree:

The inline awl is a fabulous tool. Syph made me a "Compacter": knife, scissors, awl. Super thin, super in the pocket, and does most awl I need in an EDC....90% of the time.   :tu:
I’d miss the combo tool too much.  But I do usually mod my combo tools to have a sharp corner which enables them to be used for open boxes.
« Reply #1017 on: April 01, 2021, 12:21:38 AM »
The inline awl is awlsome.   

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #1018 on: April 01, 2021, 01:41:16 AM »
Day-31,

Needed the FarmerX to open the beans! Lol
JR

No Life Club Posts: 2,717
« Reply #1019 on: April 01, 2021, 01:47:36 AM »
:lam:

You know me... awlways trying to crunch numbers.  I looked through all the posts from Day 1 to date, and counted the number of times you awl reported a particular tool as used. 
- In some cases, you didn't explicitly say which tool you used, so I took my best guess on what you used (or could have used) Eg. the spine of the saw as a Ferro rod striker. 
- If you mentioned simple food prep, as many of you did, I counted that as the blade. 
- Some of you mentioned opening packages, and if you didn't say which tool you use, I gave to the one that you used for the same before; or if you showed the packages I chose based on which tool made sense to use (envelope vs box)
- some of you showed pictures of projects that you were working on, so I counted similar tasks as 1 use, but distinct tasks as separate uses.
- notably, explicit or implicit use of tweezers was mentioned twice.
- the saw was mentioned a few times as "just for fun".  I counted each of those "scenarios" as one use.
- I only went through the thread once so there are probably a few errors
- halfway through I had to stop and open a packet of Gummy Bears (I wonder why  :think:).  I used the Champion scissors, because they are on my computer desk. 

So here it is:

Blade - 74
Scissors - 60
Awl - 35
Bottle opener/Large SD - 32
Can opener/Small SD - 19
Saw - 10

Final Tally of the uses of each tool

Blade - 107
Scissors - 94
Bottle opener/Large SD - 48
Awl - 44