Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

In defence of the Spanish? 737

Newbie Posts: 35
In defence of the Spanish?
« on: October 14, 2020, 07:12:54 PM »
I always thought the acronym SAK stood for Swiss Army Knife. But a few days ago, I picked up a really nice pocket folding knife that is a little bigger than a standard 91mm SAK, looks very nice and I discovered it is actually a Spanish Army Knife. A Gran Turista made in Spain by Aitor.
At 160 grams against say a Victorinox Climber at 84 grams it is almost twice the weight. It is 103mm long and the tools much thicker and bigger. The main blade is nudging the UK limit at 72mm [2 7/8"]. The scissors have no spring but with the ring they are easy to use. My research shows the steel is a similar quality to Victorinox, but the finish I see is not quite up to the same standard. The tool springing will be too strong for some, will break delicate nails and the look a bit heavy for a night out in your Armani suit. Overall it looks like a well made piece of kit, that deserves a good try out.
Whilst I have had, carried and used pocket knives all my life, I do usually go for long established brands. I have always found that "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten." [Aldo Gucci. 1938]
OK I am new here but why have I not heard of these knives before?

Thoughts for the day:
For Mechanics - "Amateurs built the Ark.....Professionals built the Titanic!"  - British comedian
For Bodyworkers - "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines." - Enzo Ferrari
For Drivers - "Hey, let's be careful out there" - Sgt Esterhaus
For Me - "Brain the size of a planet and they ask me to park the car" - Marvin the paranoid android
For All - "Live long and prosper" - Mr Spock.
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,793 Bored

dks cy

Re: In defence of the Spanish?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 07:23:57 PM »
Spain and their neighbouring Portugal make some quite nice knives, from several brands. Pallares, Joker, ICEL and several others, ranging from really cheap to really expensive, all generally at least decent quality.

Get a cheap Pallares and you will be surprised of how useful and good quality a basic plastic handled knife can be.

We tend to focus on US, German, Swiss and UK made knives too much, ignoring the others.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,001 Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 08:05:12 PM »
I have a made in Spain Pallares, I like it. :tu:

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,484
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 09:33:53 PM »
Aitor!

I have an older Aitor knife, kindly gifted to me by ThePeacent.
It's a 91mm in the toolset of a Camper.
It's not Victorinox quality, but very close!

Throughout the years, quality dropped... :(

Buy now or regret later
No Life Club Posts: 4,646
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 04:53:43 AM »
Aitor!

I have an older Aitor knife, kindly gifted to me by ThePeacent.
It's a 91mm in the toolset of a Camper.
It's not Victorinox quality, but very close!

Throughout the years, quality dropped... :(

Story goes Aitor got bought out by a Chinese firm, and it went all downhill from there.
No Life Club Posts: 4,646
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 04:56:40 AM »
Been looking for an Aitor with a halfway decent toolset (their take on the SwissChamp is really neat, with an alligator-type wrench and a fork!). They are somewhat hard to find, and pricey when you do.

I have a carbon steel Spanish-made Joker called an "Outdoor Knife 9cm". It has a sort of clip point blade, kinda like a Sodbuster. Seems in the past couple of years, it was changed to more of a leaf-shape, which I don't like. Picked it up for $10 brand new, and have used it like a $10 knife. Apparently, at one point Gamo (the air rifle people) distributed them in the USA. It's taken it well, and has quite tough blade steel.

Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,796 Born to multitask.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 06:09:53 AM »
I knew about Aitor, but I've never seen that style of scissors before. Nice! :like:
Newbie Posts: 35
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 07:29:40 AM »
Been looking for an Aitor with a halfway decent toolset (their take on the SwissChamp is really neat, with an alligator-type wrench and a fork!). They are somewhat hard to find, and pricey when you do.

I think these are their current "SAK" equivalents
[Rough translation]
01=Blade
02=Cork Screw
03=File and Screwdriver
04=Can Opener
05=Needle Punch
06=Screwdriver, Bottle Opener & Wire Bender
07=Scissors
08=Cartridge Extractor
09=Pliers
10=Multi-Function Utility
11=Saw
12=Belt Cutter Blade
13=Phillips Screwdriver
14=Fork
15=Spoon
16=Screwdriver

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 08:15:39 AM by Manorcom »

Thoughts for the day:
For Mechanics - "Amateurs built the Ark.....Professionals built the Titanic!"  - British comedian
For Bodyworkers - "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines." - Enzo Ferrari
For Drivers - "Hey, let's be careful out there" - Sgt Esterhaus
For Me - "Brain the size of a planet and they ask me to park the car" - Marvin the paranoid android
For All - "Live long and prosper" - Mr Spock.
No Life Club Posts: 1,480
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 03:57:28 PM »
Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!  :ahhh

There is no magic therefore gadgets!
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,376 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 01:11:35 PM »
Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!  :ahhh

Spanish knives are great.

Their chief tool is the blade... blade and can opener... can opener and blade. Their two tools are the blade and can opener... and corkscrew. Their three tools are the blade and can opener and corkscrew... and scissors. Their four... no... amongst their tools... are such elements as the blade and can opener... I'll come in again...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,710
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 01:13:14 PM »
Spanish knives are great.

Their chief tool is the blade... blade and can opener... can opener and blade. Their two tools are the blade and can opener... and corkscrew. Their three tools are the blade and can opener and corkscrew... and scissors. Their four... no... amongst their tools... are such elements as the blade and can opener... I'll come in again...

:facepalm:
:rofl:

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,710
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 01:17:09 PM »
I've got a few knives made in Spain and they're all decent quality.  They certainly know how to get the best out of 440 Stainless.

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Global Moderator No Life Club Posts: 3,538
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 11:40:04 AM »
Always wanted an Aitor - Especially that weird mutli combi tool
No Life Club Posts: 3,035
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 05:13:51 AM »
One of the more unique combo tools I've seen.  :tu:

I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $20.00
PayPal Fees: $1.34
Net Balance: $18.66
Below Goal: $281.34
Site Currency: USD