Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MT Wood/Metal Saw Efficiency Comparison

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
MT Wood/Metal Saw Efficiency Comparison
on: October 15, 2020, 10:37:22 PM
I always wanted to do a saw comparison on my MT’s, and yesterday I had some spare time. I wanted to compare cutting speed and ease of use, and use it to derive a measure of efficiency for the tools.

Let’s get right into it. I used some of my most carried and favorite tools in this test.

Tools for the test:

Leatherman Rebar, Victorinox Spirit, Victorinox Ranger and Gerber MP600. I don’t own any SOG tools, so I could not test those.

The MP600 comes with a saw holder, so I used multiple saw blades with it: A Remgrit blade, a metal blade for thin metal, a fast cut wood blade, and a fine cut wood blade.

Here are the two items I used for testing:

To test the wood saws I used a soft wood dowel rod. It has a diameter of  ~ 30mm. I used it because these Poplar rods are available in about every hardware store and the universal diameter makes it easy to compare cutting times.

The same goes for the welded chain I used to test the metal saws. The diameter of the metal used is ~ 5mm.

Both items should also be fairly common for arts and crafts, home or farm use, so they seemed appropriate.

Set-up and Execution

Pretty rudimentary, but it did the trick. Both items were held in a vise, so they did not move during the cuts.

This is by no means a scientifically accurate test, but it should give an idea of how these saws compare. I used every saw twice on the objects described, and got an average of the times needed to cut through both. I tried to use the same stroke length, and apply the same pressure to the cuts.

After each round I used a dedicated saw as a comparison.

Wood Saws:

Tool            Cutting Times
Spirit            25 sec
Rebar            16 sec
Ranger            17 sec
MP600 (Remgrit)      2 min 10 sec
MP600 (Fine Cut)      24 sec
MP600 (Fast Cut)      10 sec
Dedicated Wood Saw   6 sec

Pictures with tools and cuts:

Spirit

Rebar

Ranger

Remgrit

Fast Cut and Fine Cut

Dedicated wood saw with Ranger for size comparison

The result is pretty much as expected, besides the Spirit’s cutting time. I expected it to be the same or at least close to the Ranger, but that was surprisingly not the case.

The Remgrit saw did the worst, which is no surprise. It can cut almost everyting, but nothing really well. The instructions also state it should not be used on soft wood. I did it anyway, because I wanted to see if it could handle it.
There is also the chance that you find yourself in a situation where this is the only wood saw on hand, and you have to use it.
That’s at least one of the reason for me to carry a MT: Always be prepared!

Picture of all wood saws used in the test:

Metal Saws:

Tool            Cutting Times
Spirit            1 min 18 sec
Rebar            1 min 40 sec
Ranger            1 min 55 sec
MP600 (Remgrit)      3 min 07 sec
MP600 (Thin Metal)   34 sec      
Dedicated Metal Saw   17 sec

Pictures with tools and cuts:

Spirit

Rebar

Ranger

Remgrit

Thin Metal Saw

Dedicated metal saw with MP600 for size comparison

The only surprise here is again the Spirit. This time on the positive side though. It did better than the Rebar and the Ranger.
The Remgrit saw is again the worst, but it is also the only saw that is able to cut wood as well as metal.

Pictures of all metal saws used in the test:

Result:

As expected, the dedicated saws are of course much faster, and much more efficient cutting their respective material. Their MT counterparts mostly do a very good though, especially when the much smaller size is taken into account.

It is hard to announce a winner for this test. While the MP600 saw holder proved to be the most versatile, it also comes only with a Remgrit saw, the worst saw in the test. Only when adding dedicated jigsaw blades, does the blade holder shine.
The difference between Leatherman and Victorinox is also not large enough to be of any significance.

I hope this test was helpful to some folks, thanks for reading!  :cheers:

se Offline RF52

Re: MT Wood/Metal Saw Efficiency Comparison
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 10:44:56 PM
Nice test! Not surprised by the remgrit saw, but it is a decent allrounder :tu:
Thanks for taking the time and for sharing :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 10:45:32 PM
Great test Sir Vic.  :salute: And also to include a single-purpose tool as the comparison.

Our (slightly crazy) Swiss SAK enthusiast, Felix Immler, has done some comparisons too that are interesting
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 11:03:48 PM
Great test.  Some surprising results.

I never timed them, but did use a few different MT wood saws for cutting a holly bush.  My favorite for use was the Farmer X saw.  On top of seeming fast, it was also the most comfortable to use over time.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 11:56:47 PM
Great review, Sir VicaLot; thanks! It is very informative, and best of all, uses general-everyday-objects and tasks for real-world experience.  :tu: :cheers:

I'm also in favor of the MP'S blade exchanger capability  with dedicated wood and metal jigsaw blades; I carry them in a custom, homemade slip in the sheath's pocket.

And following up with the idea, I also have custom-modified jigsaw blades for my MP600 basic; no need for blade exchanger!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 12:20:23 AM
Great review, Sir VicaLot; thanks! It is very informative, and best of all, uses general-everyday-objects and tasks for real-world experience.  :tu: :cheers:

I'm also in favor of the MP'S blade exchanger capability  with dedicated wood and metal jigsaw blades; I carry them in a custom, homemade slip in the sheath's pocket.

And following up with the idea, I also have custom-modified jigsaw blades for my MP600 basic; no need for blade exchanger!

I don’t have an MP600 but I do really like the blade exchanger.  As far as mods, I think a Skeletool with blade exchanger instead of knife blade would be an awesome tool.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 02:42:14 AM
Great tests  :cheers:

I'm honestly surprised that the Spirit saw did so poorly on the wood test!

I don’t have an MP600 but I do really like the blade exchanger.  As far as mods, I think a Skeletool with blade exchanger instead of knife blade would be an awesome tool.

I wonder if the Skeletool bit holder has enough retention to hold a blade adapter  :think:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 03:35:44 AM

I wonder if the Skeletool bit holder has enough retention to hold a blade adapter  :think:

Is there a bit adapter that allows jigsaw blades to be used in a LM bit slot?  If so, I’d be will ing to give a try to see how well it works.

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 03:44:53 AM
These tool comparisons always are interesting.

You have convinced me that removing the Remgrit  saw and replacing it with a fine metal saw blade  on my bladeless  MP600 was the right choice.

I tossed the Remgrit saw soon after getting the Gerber MP600! 

Thanks for posting.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 03:45:45 AM
Thanks all  :hatsoff:

Gotta watch that video Max posted. Felix always has good stuff  :tu:

@Juan: I am a big fan of the blade exchanger as well, and would really like to see other companies implement them into their tools. The only ones I know that have them are the Surge and MP600. Lots of wasted potential in my opinion.

@GF: I was surprised by the Spirit on the wood test too. It is not a lot, but a definite difference. The saws must be slightly different.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 03:47:06 AM
Is there a bit adapter that allows jigsaw blades to be used in a LM bit slot?  If so, I’d be will ing to give a try to see how well it works.

Same here. That would make the Wave a lot more interesting for me. Just think about the modding possibilities  :ahhh :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 03:50:36 AM
These tool comparisons always are interesting.

You have convinced me that removing the Remgrit  saw and replacing it with a fine metal saw blade  on my bladeless  MP600 was the right choice.

I tossed the Remgrit saw soon after getting the Gerber MP600! 

Thanks for posting.

:hatsoff:

I have to see if i can find an old tile or ceramics item. The Remgrit saw should excel at these from what I heard.  But I don’t find myself having to cut these things very often  :dunno:

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 04:15:25 AM

Any mod'ers out there willing; anyone with a spare Surge blade exchanger!?!? :drool: :drool:
 :pok: :pok: :pok:

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 04:18:58 AM

Probably yes, as it has a true locking bar versus a spring clip on the Wave/Charge/Surge bit holder; here's an alternative for " in the meantime ... ":

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=81179.msg1909453#msg1909453
 :tu: :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 04:24:14 AM
Thanks all  :hatsoff:

Gotta watch that video Max posted. Felix always has good stuff  :tu:

@Juan: I am a big fan of the blade exchanger as well, and would really like to see other companies implement them into their tools. The only ones I know that have them are the Surge and MP600. Lots of wasted potential in my opinion.

@GF: I was surprised by the Spirit on the wood test too. It is not a lot, but a definite difference. The saws must be slightly different.

Totally true, my friend; that's the only reason why I come back to the MP, as it is light/small/compact enough to be pocket carried or go inconspicuous under a shirt while sheath carried, and still have various saw blades to choose from! Now, if the Rebar were to have a blade exchanger ...

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 09:51:42 AM
Thank you for doing the test!  I too have actually done a semi-through analysis on different saws performance couple years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1lIN7NDFzc&ab_channel=ComisGear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4qml26ru3Y&ab_channel=ComisGear

I still haven't get around to do one for the large size MT, and maybe it's also time to do another round for the metal saw as well.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 03:06:59 PM
Thanks for the links to your videos, more to watch today!  :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 03:32:35 PM
 :hatsoff:  Thanks for taking the time to test these tools.  I always enjoy these test. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #18 on: October 16, 2020, 04:55:18 PM
Yup, I did a few of those saw teating videos myself some 8 years back :ahhh

As a rule, and logically, thicker saws that require you to remove more material take longer to saw with and require much more energy as a result.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #19 on: October 16, 2020, 05:06:59 PM
I am happy with the Rebar's results. :like:
Slightly curious about the Spirit's woodsaw performance. :think:

I thought RemGrit would have done a little better for both tests, but I guess if it was really good, we'd see it more often, and we don't.

Great tests! :like:
Are you going to test other tools?

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #20 on: October 17, 2020, 02:21:19 AM
Thanks guys  :hatsoff:

I would like to test more tools and brands, but I don't own any more with wood saws  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 03:55:00 PM
Very nice tests, SirVic :o :like:

Love seeing stuff like this on MTO  :like:

I need to track a Remgrit Gerber down since it seems to be "good" at cutting things :D just not great :whistle: ;) :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%