Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Daredevil Challenge 2021

comis · 1327 · 37108

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Daredevil Challenge 2021
Reply #120 on: June 13, 2021, 02:50:17 PM
I already know everything I need. :facepalm:
Flik review is posted:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87578.0.html

I doubt a month of carrying it will change my mind. It might change it for the worst. :tu:

Great review,  RP :like: :like:

:nanadance:         :nanadance:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: June 15, 2021, 03:32:10 AM
comis, I'm in. Just found out about this challenge yesterday.   :(

I'll be entering with maybe an odd choice - a Victorinox Delemont Evolution S557. I was intrigued with the slip-joint pliers and the wrench when I read about them, so picked one up. Haven't been impressed so far. The pliers are very fiddly compared with the standard Victorinox pliers. The wrench being in the center of a 5-layer SAK limits its ability to hold things that are nearly flush. Both the wrench and the inline Phillips are thumbnail-breaking tight to open. I've had mixed luck with the serrated scissors.

I like the nail file though.   :)

It was either the Daredevil Challenge or the 60-day Go BIG Challenge with Swiss Champs. I know the Swiss Champ is a great and practical knife. I want to see if the Evolution redeems itself.   

Daredevil Challenge August 2021
01 Comis
02 RF52
03 cody6268
04 Alan K.
05 Kev D
06 Etherealicer (if not busy fighting zombies)
07 ReamerPunch
08 SurgeUK
09 Poncho65
10 chip
11 Sos24
12 Echotech
13 Humayd A R Mahomedy
14 pipedreams
15 Barry Rowland
16 Adam5
17 countrydirt
18 SteveP
2021-06-14 20.29.14.jpg
* 2021-06-14 20.29.14.jpg (Filesize: 514.67 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #122 on: June 15, 2021, 04:51:33 PM
comis, I'm in. Just found out about this challenge yesterday.   :(

I'll be entering with maybe an odd choice - a Victorinox Delemont Evolution S557. I was intrigued with the slip-joint pliers and the wrench when I read about them, so picked one up. Haven't been impressed so far. The pliers are very fiddly compared with the standard Victorinox pliers. The wrench being in the center of a 5-layer SAK limits its ability to hold things that are nearly flush. Both the wrench and the inline Phillips are thumbnail-breaking tight to open. I've had mixed luck with the serrated scissors.

I like the nail file though.   :)

It was either the Daredevil Challenge or the 60-day Go BIG Challenge with Swiss Champs. I know the Swiss Champ is a great and practical knife. I want to see if the Evolution redeems itself.   

01 Comis
02 RF52
03 cody6268
04 Alan K.
05 Kev D
07 ReamerPunch
08 SurgeUK
09 Poncho65
10 chip
11 Sos24
12 Echotech
13 Humayd A R Mahomedy
14 pipedreams
15 Barry Rowland
16 Adam5
17 countrydirt
18 SteveP

SteveP, welcome onboard!  :cheers:

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #123 on: July 05, 2021, 01:01:47 AM
It was either the Daredevil Challenge or the 60-day Go BIG Challenge with Swiss Champs.

Same issue, but then I made the mistake of reading the Cheap and Cheerful forum.  Now I have this cheap multitool and I feel obligated to test it out.  Plus I can do the SAK-alike challenge in September.  :tu:

01 Comis
02 RF52
03 cody6268
04 Alan K.
05 Kev D
07 ReamerPunch
08 SurgeUK
09 Poncho65
10 chip
11 Sos24
12 Echotech
13 Humayd A R Mahomedy
14 pipedreams
15 Barry Rowland
16 Adam5
17 countrydirt
18 SteveP
19 Fireman

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #124 on: July 06, 2021, 11:51:08 AM
Same issue, but then I made the mistake of reading the Cheap and Cheerful forum.  Now I have this cheap multitool and I feel obligated to test it out.  Plus I can do the SAK-alike challenge in September.  :tu:

01 Comis
02 RF52
03 cody6268
04 Alan K.
05 Kev D
07 ReamerPunch
08 SurgeUK
09 Poncho65
10 chip
11 Sos24
12 Echotech
13 Humayd A R Mahomedy
14 pipedreams
15 Barry Rowland
16 Adam5
17 countrydirt
18 SteveP
19 Fireman

Fireman, great to have you!  :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #125 on: July 24, 2021, 11:42:13 AM
One more week! :ahhh
I am so looking forward for a month with the Flik. ::)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #126 on: July 24, 2021, 06:06:18 PM
One more week! :ahhh
I am so looking forward for a month with the Flik. ::)

:D

I came down to final two candidates, which I both have my dislikes.  They are not necessarily bad tools(in fact, some may even like them and may find my choices slightly offensive), but here are my final two:

I got this MP600 for many years and it stayed in the package for good reason(I have tried other MP600 in the past), this brand new MP600 has a really stiff pliers right out the box(which I absolutely hate), serrated blade(hate that too), and I need to fling the pliers out hard every time before accessing all the tools, edges of the tool is unrefined and could potentially make a bad pinch if I am not careful...everything I dislike in a MT and it probably has it.

This Wetol is not bad to be honest(in fact, it's kinda well made), except it is sooooo soooo sooooo heavy and bulky that it felt like I am lugging two LM ST300 at the same time. 

I always carry my tools in-pocket(part reason I don't usually edc MT, but even if I do, probably favor really lightweight ones).  Some essential tools like scissors is missing, and it host a full size hex bit(could be a good thing if you have all the bits with you, but not me).  A real pants dragger and I just can't fathom holding onto my pants whenever I need to take a leak for the entire month...that's crazy! :ahhh

So now it is a gonna be a choice between "well known annoyance" vs "crazy heavy weight" for me.

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #127 on: July 24, 2021, 10:53:59 PM
I will be using the Klein TripSaver

It is the needle nose version of KutMasters's MultiMaster.

au Offline Echotech

Daredevil Challenge 2021
Reply #128 on: July 25, 2021, 11:01:19 AM
I was going to use the LM Micra, but the truth is I fell out of love with it rather than hate it, and think the love may be in the process of being rekindled :think:

Got three of them and had them many years, used to think they were the best thing ever, so reckon it’s more a case of being seduced by newer more glamorous :dd: MT’s than anything

I see RP has suggested a Micra challenge for next year, good call, so will wait for that

So what do I use instead, needs to be something truly awful to feel I’m doing the proper Daredevil.

After a year of challenges with some truly superb knives and tools, I’ve decided to dig deep into the bowels of my “never to see the light of day” box and come up with these two

Considering the great MT’s I do own, using one of these for a month is going to be terrible :ahhh :ahhh

The pliers based one is remarkably uncomfortable in the hand, all sharp edges and hot spots. The screwdrivers require turning the entire tool to be used (think SAK back side philips are awkward to use, they’re a dream in comparison) but at least it feels solid and the f&f isn’t too bad.

The hammer based one, rattles madly, the saw is so loose that it moves half an inch in either direction even once locked in place but even more damning, the hammer digs into your arm trying to use any of the other tools, making holding it almost impossible, at least the hammer itself is quite usable and as most of my MT’s are pliers based does have novelty value

I’ve got a week to decide :think: :dunno: :ahhh

« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 11:27:21 AM by Echotech »

us Offline Adam5

Reply #129 on: July 25, 2021, 11:44:56 AM

au Offline Echotech

Reply #130 on: July 25, 2021, 11:57:05 AM
:rofl: :ahhh

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #131 on: July 25, 2021, 04:16:08 PM
I will be using the Klein TripSaver

(Image removed from quote.)

It is the needle nose version of KutMasters's MultiMaster.
I like Klein tools, but didn't know they have a multitool.  That's going to be interesting.

:rofl:
I kinda at the end of the month, how many of us would actually start to see the tools we carry in a different light, or just dislike it even more(and cherish the ones we love even more). :popcorn:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #132 on: July 25, 2021, 06:18:23 PM
This Wetol is not bad to be honest(in fact, it's kinda well made), except it is sooooo soooo sooooo heavy and bulky that it felt like I am lugging two LM ST300 at the same time. 

I always carry my tools in-pocket(part reason I don't usually edc MT, but even if I do, probably favor really lightweight ones).  Some essential tools like scissors is missing, and it host a full size hex bit(could be a good thing if you have all the bits with you, but not me).  A real pants dragger and I just can't fathom holding onto my pants whenever I need to take a leak for the entire month...that's crazy! :ahhh

I have one of those! :like:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85067.0.html
I ended up giving it a lukewarm review. It has some nice things going for it, but too many negatives. If it was available for $15 it would be appealing, for $20 it would be ok, but I got it for $37, which is quite a lot for what it is.

Still, I would love to see this in a challenge. We've seen Gerber MPs before. We have not seen many offbrand tools, especially those that were released in recent years. This challenge and the SAK-alike Challenge will hopefully showcase some lesser known tools.  :cheers: Even if the DareDevil Challenge kinda focuses on the bad ones. >:D

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: July 26, 2021, 12:45:46 AM
I'm getting excited about the challenge in just one week.  :woohoo:

To try to like my S557 more, I added a mini-screwdriver to the corkscrew and burned a hole in the scale for a straight pin. I also made sure the inline Phillips fits my hex bit adapter. I'm not going into the challenge completely hobbled.   ;)

Just trying to improve an unloved tool before the fun begins.
2021-07-25 17.41.17.jpg
* 2021-07-25 17.41.17.jpg (Filesize: 509.75 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #134 on: July 26, 2021, 04:07:31 AM
I have one of those! :like:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85067.0.html
I ended up giving it a lukewarm review. It has some nice things going for it, but too many negatives. If it was available for $15 it would be appealing, for $20 it would be ok, but I got it for $37, which is quite a lot for what it is.

Still, I would love to see this in a challenge. We've seen Gerber MPs before. We have not seen many offbrand tools, especially those that were released in recent years. This challenge and the SAK-alike Challenge will hopefully showcase some lesser known tools.  :cheers: Even if the DareDevil Challenge kinda focuses on the bad ones. >:D

Good points, to be honest, I have given these two a fair amount of thoughts, the Wetol is forbiddingly heavy, I probably would never carry it(if not in this challenge) and let it sit around at home.  Other than that, it actually is an okay tool.  Sure, some of the design elements are not comparable to Victorinox/Leatherman, but for a 22 bucks tool(what I paid for), it is actually decent/passable.

MP600 is actually another story.  It weights just a little more than a Spirit(which is one of the lightest weight MT), so I could very well carry this.  But it has all the elements I dislike in MT, loose tolerance(worse than Wetol), stuck pliers, inconvenient tool access, combo edge, tool with no nail nick/lever, etc.  I paid more than twice the price of Wetol for the MP600, and probably wouldn't have gotten the tool if not for collection purpose.

Anyhow, I am thinking maybe I should give Wetol a spin, since I am planning to do a Gerber challenge next year and I could "make peace" with either my MP600/MP400 there. :whistle:

I'm getting excited about the challenge in just one week.  :woohoo:

To try to like my S557 more, I added a mini-screwdriver to the corkscrew and burned a hole in the scale for a straight pin. I also made sure the inline Phillips fits my hex bit adapter. I'm not going into the challenge completely hobbled.   ;)

Just trying to improve an unloved tool before the fun begins.

I actually do like the Delemont/Wenger tools, and with these mods, I have a strong feeling you would actually like the tool by the end of this. :popcorn:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #135 on: July 26, 2021, 05:13:56 AM
I actually do like the Delemont/Wenger tools, and with these mods, I have a strong feeling you would actually like the tool by the end of this. :popcorn:
I'll keep my fingers crossed, Comis.

Have you - or anyone else following along - found any use for the Wenger wrench? Other than some references to using it for bicycle repair (I don't ride), no one seems to have found any use for it. Being stuck in the middle of a 5-layer SAK with a short length makes it nearly impossible to get a grip on anything.

I'm actually thinking of pulling the SAK apart, pulling out the wrench, and replacing it with a Vic mag glass.

I'm also thinking of adding a wood saw. I'll end up with a Delemont Evolution Woodsman.   :D

SAKs:

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #136 on: July 27, 2021, 10:42:40 PM
I must bow out. Work obligations have me tied up. Good luck all!
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #137 on: July 28, 2021, 12:31:25 AM
Oh man :cry: we will miss you but it's understandable  :salute:

Still gonna go with the Gerber Suspension NXT :facepalm: :D

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #138 on: July 28, 2021, 03:43:06 AM
I'm still planning to use my MP600. I have nothing against the Gerber design and I did an MP challenge with my early model MP.  It's just that I have always preferred pocket carry and the needle nose pliers of the MP600 tears pockets to shreds so I will have to carry in a belt pouch.  My original MP has blunt nose pliers and I pocket carried it for many years without a problem.  I want to find out if the tool set in the MP600 is worth the aggravation of carrying it in a belt pouch.  I already determined long ago that the Gerber belt pouches are not very well made and ride too high causing them to poke me when I sit.  That could very well be my biggest issue with this tool.

za Offline Humayd A R Mahomedy

Reply #139 on: July 30, 2021, 03:53:40 PM
Fireman, great to have you!  :cheers:

nice lineup for this challenge  :woohoo:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #140 on: July 30, 2021, 04:52:16 PM

The good news is you have almost a year to decide    :ahhh   :D

:ahhh
One more day! :ahhh

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #141 on: July 30, 2021, 04:57:26 PM
I must bow out. Work obligations have me tied up. Good luck all!
Sorry to see you go, but one more day to change mind! :D

Oh man :cry: we will miss you but it's understandable  :salute:

Still gonna go with the Gerber Suspension NXT :facepalm: :D
I'm still planning to use my MP600. I have nothing against the Gerber design and I did an MP challenge with my early model MP.  It's just that I have always preferred pocket carry and the needle nose pliers of the MP600 tears pockets to shreds so I will have to carry in a belt pouch.  My original MP has blunt nose pliers and I pocket carried it for many years without a problem.  I want to find out if the tool set in the MP600 is worth the aggravation of carrying it in a belt pouch.  I already determined long ago that the Gerber belt pouches are not very well made and ride too high causing them to poke me when I sit.  That could very well be my biggest issue with this tool.
Looks like we are going to have a few Gerber entries in this challenge... :popcorn:

:ahhh
One more day! :ahhh

I know!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #142 on: July 30, 2021, 04:58:00 PM
The cool thing about this challenge is that we'll see tools that have never been in a challenge, and that most likely will never be in one again. :D
We'll see some questionable designs, and see what they really have to offer. Sure, it might get tough, tricky, and scary, but hey, gotta break some eggs, right?
We'll also see or even carry tools we did not care for, and maybe realize that they are not so bad after all. :think:
This should be interesting.  :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #143 on: July 30, 2021, 05:00:49 PM
The cool thing about this challenge is that we'll see tools that have never been in a challenge, and that most likely will never be in one again. :D
We'll see some questionable designs, and see what they really have to offer. Sure, it might get tough, tricky, and scary, but hey, gotta break some eggs, right?
We'll also see or even carry tools we did not care for, and maybe realize that they are not so bad after all. :think:
This should be interesting.  :cheers:
Indeed!  Btw, I think I am going along with your suggestion...and am going in with a Wetol crazy-heavy MT! (What am I thinking!?) :ahhh

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #144 on: July 30, 2021, 05:04:43 PM
 :like:
I am going with the Gerber Flik, which was also suggested over something else. :cheers:
Maybe that could be a challenge. Each one could post a list of four tools, and others pick what everyone carries for a week. Kinda like the Poker Face Challenge.  :think:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #145 on: July 30, 2021, 05:13:03 PM
I like Klein tools, but didn't know they have a multitool.  That's going to be interesting.

Have you seen their other multi-tool? :think:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=77520.0
Show content

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #146 on: July 30, 2021, 06:10:25 PM
I'm going to stick with the OHT. I know it's LM and therefore "should" be good  :think:

The problem, IMO, is that I find the blades very short and it's too bulky (compared to my Surge)  :dunno:

I'm going to sneak it in to work (instead of my OG Surge) and see how it actually stands up operationally  :shrug:
The fact is I've had it since it was released here in the UK but I've never got on with it  :twak:

Let's see how it pans out  :-\
They don't like it up 'em!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #147 on: July 30, 2021, 06:20:11 PM
Have you seen their other multi-tool? :think:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=77520.0

No, I haven't, but this just looks a passable OEM tool.

I'm going to stick with the OHT. I know it's LM and therefore "should" be good  :think:

The problem, IMO, is that I find the blades very short and it's too bulky (compared to my Surge)  :dunno:

I'm going to sneak it in to work (instead of my OG Surge) and see how it actually stands up operationally  :shrug:
The fact is I've had it since it was released here in the UK but I've never got on with it  :twak:

Let's see how it pans out  :-\
I think a lot of folks here are in the same shoe as you do.  Often time it is not necessarily the tool that's bad, but either preconception/bias that prevent the tool being used and loved.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #148 on: July 30, 2021, 07:19:34 PM
I am getting a head start on the challenge:

The Toozall is an addition to my electrician's MT collection that came in yesterday at my place of work.

I pulled the TripSaver out of storage last night and carried it with me today. I have used it some today. I already miss my Super Tool  :cry:
 :rofl:

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #149 on: July 30, 2021, 08:07:46 PM
I have the feeling that this https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Tech-Multitool-Multi-Tool-Screwdriver/dp/B08DHWHZFZ is going to feel a lot like this

Except that it's for a month.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD