Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic springs

sd Offline Andetto

• Am old school, I still believe in respect.
Vic springs
on: October 17, 2020, 10:21:18 PM
Hi

Am sure I read somewhere that it is not advisable to open two blades on the same layer at the same time. Specially half open.
It seems logical to me, you must not tension the spring at both ends.
But I see a lot of people doing that. I just wanted to mention this, so you can avoide it if you prefer.

Regards
Regards
Andetto

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Re: Vic springs
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 10:36:11 PM
I think I killed the flat SD's closing snap on my first Sportsman doing that, really p'd me off and I was so mad at myself after. In my experience, even new the flat SD's snap is frequently the weakest of any tool, so I try to preserve what's there as far as possible.

After this experience I was anxious for a time about buying used SAKs, but it's just about never been a problem.
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 10:40:18 PM
I don’t worry about it much on modern knives.

I generally won’t do that with vintage or valuable/collectibles. Knives from say the ‘40s maybe ‘50s and earlier can crack their backsprings. Maybe the liners if they’re already damaged.

Even in modern knives it is also bad for the pins. They take enough shear and bending in normal use.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 10:45:48 PM
These are pins removed from a vintage knife. The longer top pin was straightened for reuse.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 11:14:33 PM
I don’t worry about it much on modern knives.

I generally won’t do that with vintage or valuable/collectibles. Knives from say the ‘40s maybe ‘50s and earlier can crack their backsprings. Maybe the liners if they’re already damaged.

Even in modern knives it is also bad for the pins. They take enough shear and bending in normal use.

These are pins removed from a vintage knife. The longer top pin was straightened for reuse.

Yes, I think in my Sportsman's case it's much more likely that the centre pin's bent. The 84mm range has thinner pins than the larger ranges and if my Recruits are are indicative, the back tool pin seems to be a weak point. My Recruits' flat SDs have excellent snap.
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 11:30:57 PM
Yes, I think in my Sportsman's case it's much more likely that the centre pin's bent. The 84mm range has thinner pins than the larger ranges and if my Recruits are are indicative, the back tool pin seems to be a weak point. My Recruits' flat SDs have excellent snap.

Yeah, these are 2.25mm from the late ‘40s. Same size as the 84mm for all 4 pins. The badly bent one is from the center IIRC, and it’s somewhat unfortunate that they stuck with the smaller diameter for any of it. Just not a lot of room for center pins with the size of most backside tools. The conical ‘triangular’ awls put a lot of pressure on that pin.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 12:06:43 AM
Were the old pins made of brass, as now? The ones in your pic look like an alloy. That damaged one - crikey.
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 02:01:37 AM
Were the old pins made of brass, as now? The ones in your pic look like an alloy. That damaged one - crikey.

Yes, they’re Nickel Silver. Used for most exposed pins in much of Victorinox history.

Yeah I’m surprised that one came out without major effort!

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 02:17:17 AM
Yes, they’re Nickel Silver. Used for most exposed pins in much of Victorinox history.

Yeah I’m surprised that one came out without major effort!

The liners were NS as well, right? How do the pin holes hold up?

Did they change to brass pins for their increased strength? A shame about the change to Al liners, though. Hate when they get corroded.
Rambler

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 01:51:28 PM
This is the main reason I never buy from stores that have the sak's all open on the display case just for show off. They are open ike that sometimes for months on end... I just hate that. I believe if one is interested in buying a sak it doesn't need to be open like that to check the tools. Just ask an employee to let you have a look and check out the tools one by one.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 08:54:48 PM
The liners were NS as well, right? How do the pin holes hold up?

Did they change to brass pins for their increased strength? A shame about the change to Al liners, though. Hate when they get corroded.

Liners weren’t always NS while the pins exposed and NS. All the way into the ‘70s AFAIK for shackles, and certain scales like Horn.  And still to the present for Alox scales. Brass is used for all hidden pins (AFAIK -the ‘4th’ pins are often visible internally and are generally still NS when the liners are NS but Brass with AL liners from the mid ‘50s even when the other 3 are exposed NS), presumably to save on cost. My understanding is that NS is generally stronger than brass, but may depend on the specific alloy and maybe the temper.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 09:02:07 PM
How do the pin holes hold up?

A shame about the change to Al liners, though. Hate when they get corroded.

NS pin holes hold up great. Sandwiched between two stainless parts or even the riveted scales is enough to keep them from opening up.

Agreed about the Al liners. I think it’s why so many knives from the ‘50s have cracked/broken backs. Sad when otherwise good or great knives instantly become a lump of spare parts.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%