Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GearedForwards' Carry Systems and Gear Options 632

Hero Member Posts: 929
GearedForwards' Carry Systems and Gear Options
« on: October 20, 2020, 06:52:31 PM »
This thread is a place for me to post different aspects of my collections and the carry systems that arise them (as well as my thoughts on the system in question). So without further ado here's the first and most recent system, based off of a very old Gameboy Advance SP pouch:

A chunky boy, weighing in with this loadout at 1.2lbs  :ahhh

Front pocket unzipped, orientating the Swiss Card this way puts most of it's tool set at the opening, allowing quick access without needing to take it out.

Front pocket contents emptied out (top to bottom, left to right):
-A Swiss Card that I've probably had now for 14/15 years now
-The capsule from a True Utility Fire Stash, with ten cut down strike anywhere matches
-Duct Tape wrapped around a cut down nail
-Two of those ultra compressed towlettes that expand in water

Top down view of the main compartment, the folded hankerchief acting like a sleeve to keep the pry bar orientated for quick access.

Everything out, main compartment contents:
-Leatherman Rebar
-Fenix E11 w/ NiMH Duracell (2400mAh)
-'Godfather' knife (D2 blade, smooth G10)
-Hankerchief
-Misc. Stainless prybar w/550 lanyard (love the green)

Thoughts:

I'm liking this loadout so far, it covers pretty much all of the tool bases I want and the Gameboy pouch is wonderfully suited to this (I'm a little concerned about the main zipper durability, but that's it), the belt loop is both closed and has a snap option for quick removal. I went for the matches over an insert replaced Zippo purely to get more in the compartment, damn I wish the UK sold mini Bics  :pok: The biggest question marks over the kit for me right now are the knife and Rebar, I love the Rebar but it's the source of a lot of the weight, ideally I'd want the covnerter card for it to give more driver options. The only tool I'd really sub it out for is the Skeletool (Wave belongs in other kits already) but it's a knife centric tool in a kit that has a dedicated folder  :dunno:

The weight isn't really that bad, and despite the bulkiness this actually fits in a lounge/sweat pants pocket without over stretching it 9 or pulling said pants down). Definitely in the development stages still, but so far a fan of this load out  :tu:

Become the night and join us for the Batman Challenge in January!
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,508
Re: GearedForwards' Carry Systems and Gear Options
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 07:08:29 PM »
Nice use of the pouch.  I am not sure carrying the things we want to carry and lightweight is compatible?  I"ve tried a few option as well and I find I'm leaving out things I want to carry for weight savings. 

I"ll keep and eye on this thread for inspiration and conversations.   :like: 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 08:35:13 PM »
Nice use of the pouch.  I am not sure carrying the things we want to carry and lightweight is compatible?  I"ve tried a few option as well and I find I'm leaving out things I want to carry for weight savings. 

I"ll keep and eye on this thread for inspiration and conversations.   :like:

Thanks!

The day I go minimalist is the day I didn't realise I had a hole in my pocket  :whistle:

It's not like I'm hiking or anything with this gear so I've never had a problem carrying a bunch of stuff so that I'm prepared and have things to play with  :cheers:

A lot of the things in this thread will be systems I've carried during work etc. so I have more experience to provide with them, I do love me a pouch  :ahhh

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,508
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 08:48:20 PM »
I've gone thru carrying items I like to carry and things that have proven very nice to have vs not carrying such items.  Duct tape, cordage, spare cell for light, pad of paper plus pen and mini sharpie, etc.  All the items that are used often, regularly, or from time to time. 

Thing is, when I don't have those items I'm ok.  On the other hand when I have those items and the need arises I'm so stoked. 

Case in point.  I stopped carrying cordage.  Just stopped even tho there have been times when it would have been very handy.  Over the last few weeks I decided to carry a hank of cordage.  I like to carry about 6-10 ft which works and has worked out great.  I was out an about and sure enough a scenario presented itself.  I was very happy to have the cordage on hand. 

The balance of items to carry is for me one of not carrying a bag.  I have a nice shoulder bag that I tried to carry and while awesome and easily carried I stopped.  I favor a small pouch that I can pop on my hip strung onto my belt with cordage ( easy way to carry cordage ) or with a biner.  Its worked great last weekend with my Maxpedition Micro.  Then of course the wanting to carry just a bit more kit entered my mind and out came the Maxpedition EDC pouch  :facepalm:.  I'm not carrying TONs more and the space means not packing the pouch.  We'll see how it plays out. 

I was happy to have it on me tho and so far its been exactly how I figured it would be, helpful.  I carry a SS straw that was used and extra hand sanitizer. 

Esse Quam Videri
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,085 Born to multitask.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 08:44:23 PM »
I've gone thru carrying items I like to carry and things that have proven very nice to have vs not carrying such items.  Duct tape, cordage, spare cell for light, pad of paper plus pen and mini sharpie, etc.  All the items that are used often, regularly, or from time to time. 

Thing is, when I don't have those items I'm ok.  On the other hand when I have those items and the need arises I'm so stoked. 

Case in point.  I stopped carrying cordage.  Just stopped even tho there have been times when it would have been very handy.  Over the last few weeks I decided to carry a hank of cordage.  I like to carry about 6-10 ft which works and has worked out great.  I was out an about and sure enough a scenario presented itself.  I was very happy to have the cordage on hand. 

The balance of items to carry is for me one of not carrying a bag.  I have a nice shoulder bag that I tried to carry and while awesome and easily carried I stopped.  I favor a small pouch that I can pop on my hip strung onto my belt with cordage ( easy way to carry cordage ) or with a biner.  Its worked great last weekend with my Maxpedition Micro.  Then of course the wanting to carry just a bit more kit entered my mind and out came the Maxpedition EDC pouch  :facepalm:.  I'm not carrying TONs more and the space means not packing the pouch.  We'll see how it plays out. 

I was happy to have it on me tho and so far its been exactly how I figured it would be, helpful.  I carry a SS straw that was used and extra hand sanitizer. 

You;'ll have to post your EDC pouch in your off day carry thread   :like:

By EDC pouch do you mean the 'normal' sized organiser? I have a mini made into a kit that lives in whatever pack I have with me and it's served me faithfully for, I think 9 or 10 years now?  :think:

I like the idea of a Ti straw (well I like the idea of everything Ti  :facepalm:), I've been carrying my hand sanitiser on carabiner attached to my belt loop when I go out (and whilst driving it hands from the rear view). I don't mind carrying it, but from what I've gleaned from the forum it would destroy my celidors which narrows my legal options a bit...

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 08:49:04 PM »
Great kit, and what a nice pouch! :like:

Thanks! It served little Geared well for it's intended purpose, it's surprisingly well made for one of those old gameboy accessory bundles.  :D

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 09:58:59 PM »
Today we'll be going through one of my Skinth carries. I'll be honest, I'm terrible at remembering what model Skinths are, so I can't provide that info  :oops:

I love the build of Skinths, well made but lightweight and flexible. This kit is basically a self contained edc in it's own right, covering the bases of a daily carry within. I'll either combine this with a dedicated blade (be it UK legal for going out, like a UKPK, or whatever I feel like for private property) or throw something like my Squirt in a pocket for the pliers.

Everything is pretty easily access without risking pulling something else out unintentionally.

Contents (L-R):

-Refyne Ti pen (I think P1? It's terrible but I backed it on Kickstarter years ago  :facepalm:)
-Lumintop Tool AA
-SAK Cadet
-Cheap Stainless Pry Bar
-Mini Sharpie

Thoughts:

This set up works really well and can be changed around a bit to adapt, like the front pouch can accommodate a Pioneer if a larger blade is needed, the prybar can be shifted to behind the belt clip to free up some space in the side pocket too. If I really wanted to I oculd downgrade the light to a AAA, but I just feel like if I'm going to use a pouch like this I may as well go a smidge larger on the light  :dunno:

I use this kit on belts, tossed in a cargo pocket or clipped to the pocket of sweatpants (hanging outside) to offer some much needed gear storage and organisation to them  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD
25%