Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool file blades: worth having?

Nix · 81 · 3515

Poll

How important is it to have a file blade on your multitool?

7 -- A file is a 'must have' option for my multitools
12 (22.2%)
6 -- I like having a file, it would be great if more multitools had good files
24 (44.4%)
5 -- I think it is a nice option, but not important
11 (20.4%)
4 -- I can take it or leave it
3 (5.6%)
3 -- Not important, but I don't really use the file
1 (1.9%)
2 -- I would rather have other tools or a smaller multitool without a file
2 (3.7%)
1 -- Useless to me, I don't want a file in my multitool
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Multitool file blades: worth having?
Reply #60 on: October 31, 2020, 12:42:46 PM
 :hatsoff:

:like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: October 31, 2020, 10:12:19 PM
Files? Depends on whose Multitool you are using.. :whistle:

(Image removed from quote.)

Sam, did you texturize the handle of that Surge?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #62 on: November 01, 2020, 01:34:31 AM
Files? Depends on whose Multitool you are using.. :whistle:

(Image removed from quote.)

:dd: :drool: :like: :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: November 01, 2020, 01:36:02 AM
Had 3 or more files with me today :woohoo:

I had a Vic Executive with its superb file, my Charge knife and a Supertool 300 all day and a Charge plus earlier with me as well :D I had been deprived for the whole month and figured I would splurge today :whistle: :D

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #64 on: November 01, 2020, 02:00:51 AM
1st things 1st, I don't think it makes sense for us to be conflating nail files and bigger files that would be used on metal.  Sure they are both files but discussing them together is like comparing a go cart and a shopping cart.  They just have totally different uses.  To that end, I think that the nail file is a very useful tool to have on any keychain sized MT.  I particularly like the one that is on the Gerber Clutch. 

I am also a fan of metal files on full size multi tools but as many others already said, most MTs use garbage files that are useless.  On most days I carry a Leatherman Signal.  I really wish Leatherman would make a Signal+ or Signal 2 or something that had 4 outside tools rather than 2.  I would love for them to put the Wave file on the Signal but I do not want to loose the wood saw.  On some days I carry a Leatherman Crunch.  Even though the file on the Crunch is not as big as some others, it is big enough to get many jobs done.  I have used it many times to de-bur various items.  One time a friend needed me to cut some metal pipes that were part of his film equipment.  I was having trouble getting the cut started with my hack saw so I pulled out the Crunch and used the edge of the file to start a groove in each pipe.  After that it was much easier to use the hack saw.  Once the cut was made the file came in handy again to smooth out the newly cut edges. 

Has anyone made a poll like this for our opinions on scissors?  I feel that is the most divisive MT issue :)

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: November 01, 2020, 02:50:31 AM

Sounds like the file has come in handy for ya a few times. I'd agree with you about not being able to replicate a file in the wild, if multitool files were actual files, properly cut and hardened. (Although that may be true of other tools as well.) It seems that some of your tasks could have been accomplished with an abrasive rock or sharpening stone. I often carry a small sharpening stone with me to touch up an edge, anyway. You might argue that I'm carrying extra gear (a stone) to make up for a lack of a file. Perhaps.

I'm curious to know which specific file did you use to clean up the edge of the package opening tool?

How soft is the steel of the package opening tool? And did that contribute to its problems? And did the file work because the steel was soft?

Has your need for a file led you to carry a specific multitool?  Or have you found all multitool files to be equally effective? If you are a dedicated fileman, I would expect/presume that your choice of multitool would be dictated, partially, by the file available. Is that the case, or do other features get priority with the file being secondary? Or tertiary?

For my part, I almost cary a multitool despite it's having a file. I have an old 'Made in USA' SOG Paratool. I really like this multitool because it is compact and capable. And the file is descent....by which I mean 'not horrible'. I carried this tool under my mountain bike seat for about 2 decades. I carried it along because I thought the pliers and file might come in handy if I had a repair or improvisation to make somewhere down the trail. Of course that never happened. (Flat tires did, but I never needed to smooth a link or polish a rim to get back home.) I think that was the first and last instance where I choose a tool, in part, for it's file.

Now I almost carry a multitool despite it's having a file. Alan just sent me a Vic Ranger (thanks, Alan!)--a Huntsman with a file layer. So...if I don't need a file, wouldn't I be better off with a Huntsman? Nah....I like the extra backside tools! And, who knows? Maybe the file could come in handy for something some day?  :dunno: (I guess I need to do a Vic Ranger challenge.)

During a few multitool challenges where I've had a file in my multitool, I have tested the files on an axe edge. Some 'make the cut', but even these are pretty feeble and minimally useful at best. Most struggle to sharpen an axe, some (I'm looking at you SOG) don't even cut an axe. Keep in mind most axes are heated and tempered to be softer (to resist chipping and be shock resistant) than a knife or chisel edge.

For actual axe repair and saw/chainsaw sharpening, I use a proper file. They work brilliantly. To get a good edge on an axe, I finish with a stone or sandpaper. It would never occur to me to use a multitool file to tackle such a task except in the most unusual circumstances. Stranded in the woods with a dull axe.....I'd find a good stone and set to restoring the edge. In the process of doing that, I'd probably damage a fingernail....and then I'd be glad to have a file in my multitool.  ;)

I could have used a stone (I've got a couple of low quality sharpening stones in varying grits, and when my Pioneer took a tumble awl point first onto a ceramic plate it was the 100 grit Wicked Edge stone that made it useable again), but if we go down the route of task x could have been accomplished with tool y then we get on a slippery slope with us gear heads  :whistle: I doubt any part of a multitool will ever actually come close to being a good example of that tool on it's own, I'm primarily a knife man and that certainly holds true in that arena.

I think it's worth prefacing that I don't think I actually have a bad MT file, all of my MT files are either Victorinox or Leatherman so if it's brands like SOG, Gerber etc. that are the bad examples I've no diea about them  :dunno:

I used the wave's file on the package tools just because I didn't want it to look too messy and the diamond side is the finest file. The steel on the Rev's tool is undoubtably garbage  :twak: but I think that the T4's is decent enough, I can't say what the problems were, as I've never actually used either of those tools. I noticed the damage on them when looking over my tools, the Rev being new and not really used because it's awful and the T4 being a GAW win, I'd only use them on tape or plastic personally though anyway.

I don't need a file on a regular basis, but it's one of the tools that puts the Wave in a support pouch over the Skeletool for example. I personally think that the saw end on the Swisstool cuts better than the Rebar and Wave, but the cross cut side on the Rebar is nice and aggressive. A file would be something that I look for in a 'larger' tool category, I currently would consider my perfect SAK to be opener layer, blades layer, mag/phillips layer, scissors and blades (I haven't had any experience with a 91mm file yet, but I assume it would be a similar quality to the Swisstool?).

I'm not sure I would use a MT file on an axe, or any hardened steel to be honest, and I couldn't fault one too badly for failing at that task, if it can't tidy up a cut nail or knock a burr off in short order tahn that's another matter though!

I've not had cause to use my Squirt's file yet, it seems to be a miniature metal file complete with sawa, but I haven't the foggiest how it'd actually perform?  :dunno:

Fingernail wise the Classic/mini Champ do splendidly in that arena, I recently learned that they changed the Cadet's file... but I've no idea why, it's not like fingernails are a difficult task and my cadets have the same file as the Classic...
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: November 01, 2020, 03:06:33 AM

Has anyone made a poll like this for our opinions on scissors?  I feel that is the most divisive MT issue :)

:pok:.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: November 01, 2020, 03:29:35 AM
:think: seems like you use your multitool file to service your other multiools.  :pok:

That reminds me that the main reason I go to work is so that I can earn money to make car payments, for the car that I only use to get to work.   :facepalm:

And my knives to open other knives, you're talking like there's life outside of this beautiful cycle we all share?  :think:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #68 on: November 01, 2020, 03:51:14 AM
While I've actually only used mine a handful of times, I'm always glad to have one with me.
Barry

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: November 01, 2020, 01:55:39 PM
And my knives to open other knives, you're talking like there's life outside of this beautiful cycle we all share?  :think:

It's out there.  It's much more uncertain, less self reliant and resilient, and less kind.  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: November 01, 2020, 04:41:18 PM
Fingernail wise the Classic/mini Champ do splendidly in that arena, I recently learned that they changed the Cadet's file... but I've no idea why, it's not like fingernails are a difficult task and my cadets have the same file as the Classic...

Mystery to me, too. Perhaps cheaper to manufacture? 

The new Cadet file is....I believe....similar to the Executive file....which makes for a decent fingernail file. Although, for fingernails, I kinda prefer the old style.

I think that in the past I've argued that the Sportsman has a slight advantage over the Tourist because it has a nail file in place of the small blade. I'd stick with that assessment now--I've found that finger nail file to be a useful EDC tool.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #71 on: November 02, 2020, 08:59:08 AM
well on a larger MT or even a SAK (over 4 layers) I personally like to have it. the big question is quality as some are really horrible.

the metal file and wood saw are a bit hand in hand for me. not tools that I'll use every day but every so often, they are irreplaceable. this year alone, I've gotten lucky by having the larger MT with me when a file was needed - customizing some bicycle stuff and cleaning up/restoring gardening equipment. to be fair, the gardening equipment task happened because the full size files had completely rusted over from years of neglect, but the frustration of people not caring for their tools is a different topic
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline TexasAKM

Reply #72 on: November 19, 2020, 03:08:19 AM
I don’t use files a lot, but definitely like to have. 
My edc rebar has the stock file, and I swapped the plain edge blade with a pst II file.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: November 19, 2020, 03:38:30 AM
Two files?!

That is dedication. Especially for a tool that you don't use much......

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #74 on: November 19, 2020, 04:50:11 AM
well on a larger MT or even a SAK (over 4 layers) I personally like to have it. the big question is quality as some are really horrible.

the metal file and wood saw are a bit hand in hand for me. not tools that I'll use every day but every so often, they are irreplaceable. this year alone, I've gotten lucky by having the larger MT with me when a file was needed - customizing some bicycle stuff and cleaning up/restoring gardening equipment. to be fair, the gardening equipment task happened because the full size files had completely rusted over from years of neglect, but the frustration of people not caring for their tools is a different topic

Always great to have for tool maintenance when I am not near my regular tool upkeep stuff :salute:

Two files?!

That is dedication. Especially for a tool that you don't use much......

:iagree: :dd: :like:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: November 19, 2020, 05:29:55 AM
Sam, did you texturize the handle of that Surge?

Those are just mindless dremel cuts.... I am thinking of having a go on a wave.. I acquired a number of wave frames lately.. Quite a number..  :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #76 on: November 19, 2020, 11:16:41 PM
Do tell :dd:

:popcorn: :like: :like: :like:

us Offline Deere Man

Reply #77 on: November 23, 2020, 04:53:28 PM
I really like having the file.  In fact, the lack of a proper file is one of the things keeping me from trying the leatherman free series.  A file isn't something that I use all that often, but when I need it, nothing else will do.  To me, carrying a multitool is all about being able to improvise a fix to problems I encounter, using this small, limited, pocket tool kit. I find that a file is a really handy tool for improvising.  I've owned Leatherman tools for almost 2 decades and recently started buying Victorinox and I have to say that the Vic file is worlds ahead of the LM file.  I know it lacks the diamond file, but the Vic files are much more aggressive and confidence inspiring.  I'd love to try the giant file on a 111mm tool.  I bet it can get some serious work done.  I find most of the wood/metal files make poor fingernail files, but the dedicated nail file on my cadet works excellent.   

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #78 on: November 23, 2020, 04:58:15 PM
My fav's are the diamond-coated. Also prefer those with the toothed-edge for cutting metal.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: December 10, 2020, 05:51:27 AM
After fitting "real files" on my MTs, I have concluded.. I think most manufacturers are reluctant to put in a file with proper hardness that needs higher carbon content is because they will rust very readily. I live in a humid environment. All my files will rust unless in an AC environment. They probably have to choose a balance between the 2. I guess people frown more on rust than having at least a "light" file that can only cut softer meterial. But I can live with some level of rust so they will not stop me from putting my files into a MT.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: December 13, 2020, 08:12:00 PM
I have never thought about that but that is a very valid point, Sam :salute: My regular files all have rust on them and still work very well :cheers: I have had a bit of rust on a few of my MT files and they still work very well :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%