Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is the Smartphone the Ultimate Multitool?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Is the Smartphone the Ultimate Multitool?
Reply #30 on: November 03, 2020, 11:48:59 AM
[...] But it does take a bit of knowledge to find a good hiking app, since the "smartphone GPS" is only as good as the app you're using, (which is a returning  theme for the smartphone, just because the app s*cks, doesn't mean the smartphone does). [...]
Well, if we accept that a smartphone is a tool, then it is easy that what is true for tools is also true for smartphones

For optimal usage, you need to know the tools available. If you only know about sledge-hammers, you probably discount hammers to put a nail into a wall and choose a stone (and no, that does not mean stones are superior).
For optimal usage, you need to know your tool. For example, most people don't know that their phone has a barometer built in.
For optimal usage, you need skill (invest time to learn how to use it). If you can't hit a nail, a hammer is pretty useless

And not everybody has the same needs. Carpenters and smiths use different hammers. That does not just apply to smartphones, but also the apps. Having 1 app for navigation you know well is better than having 10 you don't know, but having the right navigation-app for the right circumstances and knowing how to use them is of course even better.
Case in point:
Google maps is very good, especially in urban areas (every business is marked, with essential information such as opening hours, vacancy etc.). But at least in Switzerland they are not as current as you might want (try find a road that was built in the last 2 years).
Map.search.ch offers more current map-data for Switzerland, but there is less information about businesses
SwissTopo offers the best maps for outdoor usage (in Switzerland) but zero information about businesses
And because none of these work on my watch I also use HERE. Overall a crappy app, but the best that works on my watch and navigating with the watch is simply convenient.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Offline Catshooter

Re: Is the Smartphone the Ultimate Multitool?
Reply #31 on: November 05, 2020, 08:41:40 AM
It is an electronic mulit tool.  It can do a whole lotta stuff.

Of course this old guy uses his for 1) a phone 2) for texting and 3) a camera, sometimes.  Still though, I suppose that counts as multi.

Cat

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD