Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Forgive me, SAKs, for I have sinned. It's been...awhile since my last confession

Ross · 19 · 1429

gb Offline Ross

A while back I decided not to buy any more knifes to my collection, the last Victorinox knife I bought was the Super Tinker Winter Magic last Christmas.

I decided it was time to start using some of the SAKs I have been collecting and my current daily driver and has been for about 5 months is my Damascus 2013 - Explorer which is looking great and developing a life and look of it's own and have fitted it wit a Mini-Screwdriver for added flexibility.

Couple of photos of the knife when I bought it back in 2013 and what it looks like now real life and daily use.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
As the Jersey Devil always said, theres no such thing as too good to use, only too good not to use
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
 :like: welcome back, Ross, and prepare to start accumulating again - there’s some real beauties out there again! :facepalm:

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Ross

You are forgiven. Go and sin no more; say 50 Hail Vics as punishment   :facepalm:
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
I sort of understand, I like to buy new but then I also like when they start to show the wear and tear I inflict  :dunno:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
First of all, I buy a knife solely on quality and looks. I don't care if it's $15 or $150, I buy it because I like it and it's decently well made. Now, I'll use the $15 Sanremu like a cheap knife, but the $100-$150 premium brand knife I will use mostly as a dress knife, unless it's a one-hand opener in a highly wear-resistant steel; then I will use the heck out of it.  I don't care if it appreciates in value. The only thing that matters in terms of value is that I didn't pay more than what it was worth, and if I do trade/sell it, I do get a fair price. Had a few premium Hot Wheels I bought because I liked, and recently had to sell several due to financial issues and space constraints.  I did make a fair bit on a couple because they were hard to find when new, and still are. If I'd left them on the cards, I would have made more money, but I hate dealing with cards.

If a seller has a decent quantity of a new in box older model (usually an ad knife) at a price I can afford, I will often buy two. I'll put one away in its box and then use the other.  I used to turn my nose up at people who used rare LEs, but my opinion has changed. Especially when certain combos I want were special editions or "sprint runs".  I use a Master RT as a work knife! Victorinox only made it one year for their 125th anniversary, but when I'm under a tractor or implement fixing something, it's got what I need, not the kitchen sink, when I add a pair of dedicated pliers. Closest is the Locksmith, which is $80 or more new unless you (rarely) find a used one from Europe for about $40. I paid less than $15 for the Soldier. Yeah, I said Soldier, as that's what I ordered and got a Master by mistake. I also regularly carry a 1942 Elsener Solider. The blade is an inch short, and the awl is slightly bent. Scales are falling off as well. I am eventually going to have it rebuilt.

Robert Loveless once said this
"A knife is a tool, and I make ’em to be used. It burns me up that most of them wind up in velvet boxes and display cases, priced so high your average deer hunter or cowboy can’t afford ’em"

Case started the whole "pocketknives as collectibles and not tools" thing in the '70s, when they started the dot code system, and began to market a lot to collectors who never use the knives they buy. I have a few really old ones I don't use, some 130 years old or older. But, I know while probably thousands were made, there ain't a whole lot still around about a century and a half later. Not a limited run of 200  that are all in various collector's safes.  It is a problem when most cutlery companies seem to cater more to collectors than users. Case started this in the '70s, Spyderco is bad for sprint runs, and GEC is really bad for this. Part of the reason I have yet to own a GEC. You see a model you like, then when you can afford it, prices on the secondary market are stupid. The Calf Pen seemed to languish for months, even marked down to $80. Now people are asking $125 or more now that the GEC dealers finally sold out. The Farm and Field line, in my opinion, should be these less-expensive Delrin-handle models, with a lineup that lasts for a good period of time.

Oh, and I'm getting myself a Canal Street Boys Knife for my birthday. It was one of the last they made, a special run for Moore Maker. I'm going to carry and use it (albeit not hard).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 05:03:40 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline cody6268

Smurf, quoted instead of edited. 

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Cody stated my feelings quite well. That's why I don't own any Case, Spyderco or GEC stuff.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Exactly!!
As the Jersey Devil always said, theres no such thing as too good to use, only too good not to use
Barry

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Good for you!  :hatsoff:

Nice to see another LE user/sinner.  :cheers:

Rare in itself, IMO. Glad you posted. Made me smile.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

nz Offline Storm

Thanks for sharing with us , I think it looks great with the wear on the scales  :tu:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
I'm posting in this thread as my view may be considered a sin   >:D
Can you replace Evo scales (which I really dislike, they are just plain uncomfortable to hold/use) with 91mm flat cellidor sales? If no, can the Evo scales be sanded flat? Thanks
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
OK, no body knows if you can switch Evo scales with flat cellidor scales???
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline cody6268

Rich

I don't think you can. I think it's due to the liners, and the way you put the scales on.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Cody
Thanks. Wish Vic would standardize scales - Not evo ones  :cry:
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

gb Offline Ross

Good for you!  :hatsoff:

Nice to see another LE user/sinner.  :cheers:

Rare in itself, IMO. Glad you posted. Made me smile.

Originally I started using this for just opening wine but that evolved over time! I have other LE that I don't use and in fact am going to sell on so that other people can enjoy these to keep and display.

During lockdown I took stock on the things I owned and things I have collected and in that moment decided that I only wanted to buy and keep things I would be willing to use.

I also say this is my daily driver but I have only used the main blade once  :whistle: every other tool gets used tho  :rofl:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Can you replace Evo scales (which I really dislike, they are just plain uncomfortable to hold/use) with 91mm flat cellidor sales? If no, can the Evo scales be sanded flat? Thanks
I don't think you can. I think it's due to the liners, and the way you put the scales on.

Also they are different sizes !!   :pok:   85 vs 91mm - Don't think the 84mm ones would work either!

Sanding down may work - But be careful as they may be hollow underneath - I would not go all the way

Rich

Or maybe no answer as this modding type of question is in the sinner's thread - Not a modding thread or board   :think:

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Probably easier just not buy anything Evo.
rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
 :rofl:

It's funny how some things in life cause such polarised views on whatever it is

Several Wenger features seem to fall into this category: The Evolution scales, the security lock, the scissors (spring, self sharpening and serrated .... 3in1 on that tool!!)

I personally like all of those features - But many folk hate them!!

There is a yeast based bread spread in the UK called Marmite - The manufacturers over time built this love/hate thing in to the whole brand concept and marketing for the product, as it caused such polarised view amongst the public!!
One of the later ones I saw was Marmite jar labelled up as a 'Gene Project' - As they were debating if the love/hate was caused by a genetic disposition!!!     :D

« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 03:03:35 AM by Huntsman »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD